Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donovan View Post
  1. Use cryptographic signatures (e.g., PGP "Pretty Good Privacy" or other encryption technologies) to exchange authenticated email messages. Authenticated email provides a mechanism for ensuring that messages are from whom they appear to be, as well as ensuring that the message has not been altered in transit. Similarly, sites may wish to consider enabling SSL/TLS in their mail transfer software. Using certificates in this manner increases the amount of authentication performed when sending mail.
  2. Configure your mail delivery daemon to prevent someone from directly connecting to your SMTP port to send spoofed email to other sites.
  3. Ensure that your mail delivery daemon allows logging and is configured to provide sufficient logging to assist you in tracking the origin of spoofed email.
  4. Consider a single point of entry for email to your site. You can implement this by configuring your firewall so that SMTP connections from outside your firewall must go through a central mail hub. This will provide you with centralized logging, which may assist in detecting the origin of mail spoofing attempts to your site.
  5. Educate your users about your site's policies and procedures in order to prevent them from being "social engineered," or tricked, into disclosing sensitive information (such as passwords). Have your users report any such activities to the appropriate system administrator(s) as soon as possible. See also CERT advisory CA-1991-04, available from
  6. http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1991-04.social.engineering.html
OK - that is all fine and dandy - but I have not been ticked into anything - I am quite savy to this type of thing--and as I have No Control over the agency email addresses there is nothing I can DO to prevent this as I can with those that are Under My Control.

In any event, after reading this - is what you are trying to tell me is that it has nothing to do with the Union and everything to do with Me?

Or am I mis-understanding?