Thread: What Laws in Ohio

Question What Laws in Ohio

Hello What are laws in Ohio regarding carrying concealed loaded gun? Thanks

We'll get this posted as soon as possible in detail.
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

Ohio CCW info

In response to a letter I wrote to:

Ohio State Highway Patrol.
    Lieutenant R.S. Kreuter ,
    Akron, Ohio Post Commander

He replied, (and I quote directly from the letter),

"I am writing in response to your inquiry about becoming a Private Investigator.

"You are required, in the State of Ohio, to have a license to be a Private Investigator.

"After you complete your schooling, contact the State Department of Commerce in Columbus, OH at (614) 466-3636. They can give you the information you need.

"There is no permit to carry a concealed weapon in Ohio at this time. If you are certified to be in a law enforcement type job,
    then you may carry a weapon. This will probably be covered under your PI license. "

Letter dated 28 Jan 1998
    To my knowledge this is still the case. You need State of Ohio credentials in a "law enforcement type job" to carry a concealed weapon, although there isn't a permit for it.

Your State of Ohio credentials as a Private Investigator (ID and Badge) should be carried along with you when carrying a weapon.

This is my interpretation of my personal research.

For more current information contact,

Department of Commerce
    Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing
    77 S. High Street, 20th Floor
    Columbus, Ohio 43266-0546

(614) 466-4130 and ask for Professional Licensing Application Section

or check information in,

Ohio Revised Code Chapter 4749.01(B)(1), (D)(1), and (2)(D)

On the issue of obtaining a concealed weapons permit in Ohio, or the ability to carry a concealed weapon lawfully, I direct you to a web source which quotes last month's court injunction against the State of Ohio in this matter:

http://www.ohioccw.org/article.php?sid=499

Additional Ohio news from the organization cited is also:

http://www.ohioccw.org/search.php?topic=1

On the issue of your source stating you need a private investigators license in Ohio, I cannot comment unless you provide us with a copy of the original letter you wrote in 1998.

Without that letter, I can refer you to the Ohio State Exemptions, which permit you to be a private investigator in Ohio without a state license.

Click here: PI Licensing Topic: Ohio

Nancy Medved Guest
    Thank you for your input. I donate to the Chiefs of Police regularly, but didnt know that they oppose "citizens right to bear arms". I will consider this problem next time I should donate!! Police cant be everwhere to protect us, and although its true that guns should never be in some peoples hands, does that mean we all should suffer by not being able to bear arms??? NO!
    I beleive in Waiting period for weapons, training, and investigation to see if the person is of sound mind.
    50 other states have adopted the "right to bear arms" cant see why Ohio is behind the times!!! My father and brother have fought for this country so that the people will be free!
    Yet we dont have the freedon other states have. Thank you

Smile laws

nancy i grew up in the state of ohio. i also did private police work in ohio to . to carry a concealed weapon you need to be a lic bail bond agent , a lic private investigator, or a cop, to be a lic bail bonds agent you need to pay like 250 dollars and take a test. to get a P.I lic you need to work so long under someone to get that . but if you work under someone you can carry a concealed weapon as long as you take a gun class .and for the gun class it was 140 dollars if you would like to no who gives the gun class get back with me and i can let you no who to contact
    Tracey Tonkovich

Gun class

Hi Tracey, thanks for your input on getting a cwp.
    Heard you once lived in Ohio. I would move out of the state too If it were'nt for my kids. Even tho I lived here all my life, I am really concerned about safety anymore, as there is so much violence. I would like to know where I might take gun classes.
    Please let me know. Thanks

Thanks Brett

Thanks Brett for your input on cwp in Ohio.
    I know there is legislation pending regarding this issue, but what are the chances of it passing??
    Time Ohio gets out of the stone age no??

Nancy,

Some other links that you may find helpful:

Ohio Revised Code:
    http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/revisedcode/
    Title 29 is criminal stuff
    Chapter 4749 is specific to PI's

Ohio Government:
    http://www.state.oh.us/government.htm

PI licensing stuff (PI and security guard licensing is handled by the Real Estate and Professional Licensing Division):
    http://www.com.state.oh.us/ODOC/real/pisgmain.htm

Some more info...

Contact the Dept. of Commerce, and they will send you the application to obtain a license. Unfortunately, it does state that there are certain requirements in order to obtain a license, but if you meet them, then this is the first step.

You will have to pay an application fee (I believe $250), plus a license fee ($25). Then schedule to take a test in Columbus.
    Once you do all of that, you can take a OPOTA firearms course, qualify with you weapon, pay a fee, then get an ID card to carry concealed "while in the course of you regular duties".

You will also have to obtain a minimum of $100,000 personal liability and $100,000 property liability by law in order to practice as a PI (unless you work for an agency where you should be covered under their insurance). To be frank, I have found it very difficult to find this insurance (I am interested in starting my own business, utilizing my skills developed prior), but if I locate it for a reasonable price, I can let you know if desired.

One more thing. A lot of police academies have OPOTA certified firearms instructors in house, or can at least direct you to one. A list of OPOTA certified schools is here:
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/opota/down...ctory-Cmdr.PDF
    Be safe,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen Bernhard; 03-25-2002 at 09:43 PM.

nancey . mid west technical gives the clases and they are real good and you will learn they are out of huber hights ohio and if you dont no where it is it is around dayton .. his name is west ward and he is the owner. he can also give you self defence clases and much much more. i want to move back to ohio i like ky but most of our family is in ohio and there is more money to be maid there to well i hope this will help you ,have a good day.
    Tracey Tonkovich

Well They finally passed something, not sure what yet (Being Ohio and all) supposed to finalize the law and offer the permits in April 2004 throught the Sheriffs Department.

As of right this moment; I work for an Armored Truck Service, which of course I am armed. Currently I may NOT carry my firearm anyway shape or form on my person (Not openly or concealed) UNTIL i actually get to work at which time I am to Load and Holster my weapon openly for the day. This is what I learned at my State Firearms Training anyway. ;-)

I am Certified in Ohio to Bear a Firearm AT work but at no other time.

So be worned: in Ohio the State Firearm Certificate only allows you to carry only AT work and only in the open. I know Police Officers that will tell you that they may not even a carry concealed weapon.

I have Corresponded with the State Police before and a Lt. Deputy Sheriff (actually i spoke to the deputy on Friday at work) He told me that there isn't any such permit to carry concealed as of yet and he had heard about the new law but the law hadn't been ironed out yet. In other words the law had been passed - thats a done deal. But.. this is Ohio sooooo...;-) the law has been passed but the language of the law as it will go into the books has not been finalized. (a stall tactic by those whom didn't want it passed in the first place.)

As for the final language of the law:

They wanted you to have to were an big 'ol Id style card on your shirt or jacket identifing you as a person carrying a concealed firearm. Alls I can say to that is DDDUUUUUMMMMBBB!

You would not be permitted to carry in a Church, School, or Establishment which serves/sells alcohal. OK fair enough - I can understand this.

You have to go through a background check for felonies and such. hmmm good idea.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol is trying to get the law to read that you may not carry a concealed weapon on the highways. Dunno - I can see both points of view on this one.

And then theres the issue of carrying in the open. A concealed weapon permit would not allow you to carry a firearm in the open where everyone could see it; on a pistol belt for example. It is after all a CONCEALED weapon permit.

Finally... Training. I beleive it was stated on the news like 14 hours of gun training. This is not enough- not even close. I did 4x that for my Certificate.

Granted this is Ohio and any and everything is subject to change and it may be 2010 before it gets put into the book - So don't hold your breath - you'd probably pass out first :-)
    Brett C Deem

Ohio Laws well change in April. Starting in April there well be CCW Permit issued to anyone who has not been a convicted Felon,etc.

There will be a Course and a State Exam you got to take also, I don't know much about it right know.

What I have heard is that Gov. Bob Taft of Ohio has not even started on the rest of the laws yet and didn't even get the paper work wrote up yet.

Insurance Requirement for Ohio PIs?

I came across your information while exploring and wondered if this requirement for insurance for Ohio PIs is still accurate.