Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Forensic Evidentiary Photographer

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn M Council
    The article was superb. That would be an interesting line of work but you would really have to have a stomach for it. I would like to do criminal investigations and crime scene analysis but I really don't know if I can keep my food down.
    Good morning Dawn,

I agree with you on this subject.

I would like to do criminal investigation as well learn some crime scene analysis. We'll see what needs to be retrieved

PI FPorter

Very interesting area. As a part-time professional photographer, this is one area of private investigation I would like to become involved with.

Bob Allen

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Robert,

I looked at this as a viable approach, but thought seriously about some of the less desirable aspects - such as touching dead bodies.

I thought about forensic evidentiary photography and expanded to accident photography. Maybe expanded is the wrong word; it may be focused.

I like that much better - only mangled steel and broken glass.

I'm so glad you're talking about photography, because I've been trying to set realistic goals for cameras I may need to purchase for use as a PI - both for surveillance and stills. And what about binoculars?

Any opinions out there on which (preferably affordable) brands/models do the job well without being a pain-in-the-head to operate?

Any and all opinions will be treated with reverence. Thanks!

/jan

Hi Michael,
    I agree with you about not going along with less desirable aspects such as touching dead bodies. You would really have to have the stomach for this.

Mike? what would you recommend for binocular/camera best vision for surveilances?
    Can this image be save for court?

PI FP

Flora,

I will have to look into the answer for you.

I am biased becaue of my job. I looked at a pair of infrared binoculars last week for $25,000 - not a typo. I also looked at a thermal rifle sight for $29,000 - not a typo either. The sales manager used the thermal sight at a family gathering not too long ago - they were playing flashlight tag at night and he cheated by using a high-end thermal sight. The sight can distinguish between items with a 2 deg F difference!

Ms Minta Thomson is offline *** Certified SPI

Retired Moderator - Private Investigators Forum
    Professional Management Member of:

Wink Hi Michael....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Flora,

I am biased becaue of my job. I looked at a pair of infrared binoculars last week for $25,000 - not a typo. I also looked at a thermal rifle sight for $29,000 - not a typo either. The sales manager used the thermal sight at a family gathering not too long ago - they were playing flashlight tag at night and he cheated by using a high-end thermal sight. The sight can distinguish between items with a 2 deg F difference!
    Those sound very impressive...however.... for those of us who are poor PhD candidates, wishing to purchase equipment (upgrades later ) ...what would you recommend??

awaiting advice.........

Minta
    PhD Candidate
    Forensics/Criminal Psych
    IT Re-engineering Lead

Flora,

Michael,
    Ouch!!Infrared Binoculars

No fare.

To All:

For those of you who might want to look at some great toys, try Elcan Optical Technolgies - www.elcan.com.

Talking

Flora,

Who do you think you are, a government employee?

Fred,

I still work for a private firm - a small one of just over 12,000 employees. I do work in a government office buying such toys.

This was a very interesting article! I never really thought of someone actually doing that as their career. Thanks for new insight of this area of forensics.

Ms Minta Thomson is offline *** Certified SPI

Retired Moderator - Private Investigators Forum

Thumbs up Gracias .............

To All:

For those of you who might want to look at some great toys, try Elcan Optical Technolgies - www.elcan.com.
    Great link referral........... I will be checking it out this eve

Minta

Thank you for that great write up it was very motivating. For those of you that are looking to get your own cameras for this type of work it seems that the Sony Mavica (I am not sure what model) is the one to get. Since it copies the image to a cd it makes it easy to turn in for evidence and this camera has an option that when installed will turn the photos burned onto the disk as “credible evidence”. The problem that has come up using digital format instead of film is the ability to manipulate the shots easer but with that optional chip installed (for lack of the term they use) it puts on a water mark or branding onto each photo so if a photo was to be fudged with some what it will show and no longer be used as evidence. Now depending how far into this you go you may not need this type of camera. When I saw that survey on the fifty some thing choices of investigation they all had some thing to offer me but only three stood out to me and this was the main one. I must admit that I will go for the evidence side of the equation over the morgue stuff. Some can do it, some can not and others would rather not try. Brian

Thumbs up

Fred,

I still work for a private firm - a small one of just over 12,000 employees. I do work in a government office buying such toys.
    Michael;
    Is there anything you don't have your hands into? Judging from you past posts, you're a regular rennaisance man!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kelly
    Thank you for that great write up it was very motivating. For those of you that are looking to get your own cameras for this type of work it seems that the Sony Mavica (I am not sure what model) is the one to get. Since it copies the image to a cd it makes it easy to turn in for evidence and this camera has an option that when installed will turn the photos burned onto the disk as “credible evidence”. The problem that has come up using digital format instead of film is the ability to manipulate the shots easer but with that optional chip installed (for lack of the term they use) it puts on a water mark or branding onto each photo so if a photo was to be fudged with some what it will show and no longer be used as evidence. Now depending how far into this you go you may not need this type of camera. When I saw that survey on the fifty some thing choices of investigation they all had some thing to offer me but only three stood out to me and this was the main one. I must admit that I will go for the evidence side of the equation over the morgue stuff. Some can do it, some can not and others would rather not try. Brian
    Brian;
    I was always a fan of the Mavica, when it took 3 1/2" disks. Unfortunately, the pixle count wasn't that great at the time, but everyone had (in those days ) a floppy drive, and it was universally accepted.

I found the article very interesting. I've always been fascinated by forensics, but I know that I couldn't handle it. Not that I have a weak stomach, I just think too much. I don't know how I could look at a body and not think about that person and the people that loved them or if they were unloved. I think about a person's joy and sadness and love and pain, the flurry of activity and emotion in our lives that can so suddenly be brought to a halt.

I've enjoyed walking through graveyards since I was 9-10 thinking about the same things, but I imagine it is a bit different to see someone's body rather than just a headstone.

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings Everyone, this is quite an interesting field of forensics, great article on Kelly Root.

I also have to agree with this qoute by Colleen
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen L Hayes
    Donna,

Not everyone can do it. You either love what you do or you don't do it.
    Have a great day.

Talking wow!

I'm so glad someone decided to use somebody like Ms.Root as an example! shes awesome and the descritption's a little gory but that is a good thing it shows you the reality of the business and is very in-depth and informative for anybody who thinks this is a glam slam glorified career/job it's definitely not for the weak of heart...it's a good success story and she is definitely real, now that's what i'm talking about.....two thumbs up it doesn't get any more graphic and detailed than this outside the examiner's office//

angie

Not a Problem

I don't think moving bodies around would bother me much, if at all. Back in my younger days, I organized an eye bank. The job of the eye bank was to supply eye tissue from donors to people who needed cornea transplants. My job (one of them) was to meet the doctor on call at the funeral home and assist in removing the eyes from a donor. A couple of times, the doctors showed me how it was done and then let me do it. I had absolutely no problem with that, so I think taking pictures of dead bodies would be easy. Plus, being a professional photographer, I should definitely go for this area.

I agree with you...iI myself have never been uncomfortable with death and a friend of my cousins used to have a herz and had a job where hed get calls in the middle of the night to pick up bodies....removing eyes from donors? well thats interesting if i were you having your photography expertise and all that would definitely look into it....my friend also owns austin paranormal and I've been dragged to a few nursing homes and investigations in several abandoned places where there were pictures and medical records lying around that shouldnt have been ...you do come across certain things here and there and im always watching forensic detectives and all those programs,,,,also it helps having a couple of dr.'s in my family and my aunt used to drag me to the e.r where i'd see people coming in very bloody with just the knife handle sticking out of their chest...id sit down and watch all this and saw them giving and taking stitches...weak of stomach/?not me,either....if you can control and learn how to be objective which i can imagine takes skill and practice and learn to separate yourself from the subject and look at it as a subject,and not get PERSONAL with it, among other things ive a feeling this may be something hard to master but if you could imagine yourself doing something llike that for a living and it wouldnt bother you then go for it..death is a part of life and where there's a will there's a way...
    angie

Quote Originally Posted by Flora Porter
    I enjoyed reading this post. It has so much information to absorb.

I am now enrolled at AAFS as an Academy Assistant Student.

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FORENSIC SCIENCES.

Thank You
    IPIU
    Flora,

Thank you for the AAFS site information. I just looked at it and it has a lot of very good information for getting into Forensics. I'm going to need to look at the classes closer since I have several from my Nursing degree. I'll need to see how many credits/forensic classes I would need to take to get the degree. So I appreciate seeing the breakdown.
    Sincerely,
    Patti

I really learned and enjoyed reading the article. This is a very interesting career choice, something I would be interested in doing down the road. I would have to get used to seeing death and not sure if im ready to do that on a on going basis.

What a great article. I assisted on on autopsy many years ago as a medical assistant and thought it was one of the most interesting things I have ever done. You realize that the body is a very intricate system and can tell you many things. I too am interested in photography but had never thought about this field until I read the article. Kudos to Kelly. Too bad those that criticized and derailed her don't understand that this is a very important part of the forensic field and can make the difference in solving crimes and/or answering questions for loved ones.

Amazing where interest leads us.

Excellent example of a young woman's determination and self actualization.

Great story.

Jeanne Jasiewicz

Very interesting article. I say good for her, for finding something she is interested in and can make a career out of it. And as far as her critics go, I say 'well someone has to do it'. And I am sure there are family members who are appreciating the care she takes in her photos so they don't have to view the body directly. The field of Forensic Photography is very interesting to me.
    I also appreciate the information given in the posts by Chery Gipfel about the Barnes and Noble online classes. It is one place I would have never looked for this type of information and will have to check into it.
    Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, it has helped a great deal!

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    This article was very interesting to read. Thanks for posting this.

Johnny

Photogrpahy?

Hello, I am very interested in getting into forensic photography but I am not sure were to begin. Any help would be appreciated. I am a professional photographer and am now a PI. Thanks.

Tom Dilworth

Forensics Photographer

The article was excellent! It gave me some insight into what I may deal with when I finally get to finally start my dream career as a Profiler.

Forensic Photography

I truly thought this was a great article this field of work seems extremely interesting. I like the idea of forensics,but i'm very interested in looking into Crime Scene Technician. They do seem very similar.

Do you know what schooling this entails? I don't know if it requires a Bachelors Degree or not.

Greetings Kathy, nice to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Garcia
    I truly thought this was a great article this field of work seems extremely interesting.
    I have to agree with you, it was this article that led me to reading basic Forensic Pathology, so, I decided to leave you some basic Information on Crime Scene Technician for your state.

PS: It's nice if you've got your "Bachelors in Criminal Justice" but, if you don't have it, then, you have a minimum of four choices to get started.

Small Note: after you've Clicked on the link, goto the bottom of that page and Click on the word "Homepage" then Click on this --> How to become a Crime Scene Investigator (faq file)

http://www.feinc.net/csunits.htm

Hope this info help guide your decision.

Have a great day.
    JoI

Hi Jerome,

Just wanted to thank you for the reply! I know this website link will help me enormously!!

Lot's of helpful information.

Kathy

Forensic

Good afternoon everyone!

Hi, just go here. Yours truly new IPIU member. I have read too many successful story about forensic. But this one, really got me surprised to see a young pretty Lady in this carreer and doing great job. It nice to be here in forum site. Everyone had good and informative notes. As a trainnee, needless to say that I catch up some hints. Well, I am in the area of psychological matters, and I can see how forensic photos can be a helpful path in solving the problem or knowing the gray areas of the death and living people. I'd like to read more.

Goodluck everybody!

That article blew me away. I love photography and I knew I could use that skill on surveillance but I never thought I could use it doing forensic photography. I thought the police were the only one's taking pics at crime scenes. Who knew. I am learning so much by reading the forums. It's exciting to know that there are so many ways to make money being a PI.

Greetings Kathy, you're very welcome.

My personal opinion: would be to contact IPIU and let them know that you're considering working as a Crime Scene Technician and wait for an answer form them, because they will use their best resource to get you on your way.

Have a great day and I'll see you in the forums soon.
    JoI

Remember!

No matter what you do, fighting spirit and self efficacy don't exist unless you activate a sole mindful - alertness and following your heart.

"Be proactive! Always ask God with adequate action."

Luz

Greetings Luzviminda, nice to meet you.

Below is a link to the Forums Introduction Lounge, when you Click on that link below, the screen that appears, will be the right place for you to introduce yourself, just type in something describing yourself; and (or) your goals, when you're done Typing, Click on the words Submit new Thread located at the bottom of that screen, other members will come by and give you directions to follow and get you started.

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/newthread...newthread&f=45

Have a great day.
    JoI

William Deas is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

what kind of money are we talking about for this kind of job.

i found this article facinating. I'm not real sure why. I have an interest in forencis always have, but for some reason this just facinated me and i want to know more.

Joy Gambrell - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Thanks for the story. I found it to be very interesting. I have been doing photography for 10+years and now I think that forensics might be something I might want to pursue. My experience is not just taking photos I am an expert darkroom printer too. So if anybody has any leads, let me know. Thanks again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast