Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Private Investigators hired to locate Sadam Hussein's ties.

Private Investigators hired to locate Sadam Hussein's ties.

From the newswire:

People with link to Saddam sought:

Private investigators and U.S. officials are looking at more than 15 key figures believed to have financial ties to Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), including:

* The half-brother.
    Many of Saddam's front companies were set up by his half-brother, Barzan Ibrahim Hasan, former head of Iraq (news - web sites)'s Mukhabarat secret service and Iraq's former ambassador to Switzerland, investigators say.

One of the ''most wanted'' former Iraqi leaders on U.S. soldiers' playing cards, Barzan was captured recently in Iraq.

''He can name names and detail the scope of the operation,'' says Nicholas Peck, a partner at Gryphon Investigations, who has researched Iraqi assets.

* The British billionaire. Nadhmi Auchi,
    a 65-year-old London businessman born in Iraq, was part owner of a small bank that laundered ''dirty money,'' according to a private 1996 report by the former Belgium ambassador in Luxembourg.

At one point, the bank -- Banque Continentale du Luxembourg -- held deposits made by Saddam and other dictators, including Libya's Moammar Gadhafi, the report alleges. In European media reports, Auchi has denied knowing Saddam.

The financier has run into legal troubles since moving to Great Britain two decades ago.

In 1987, Auchi helped Italian and French firms win a huge oil pipeline contract from Iraq by secretly paying Iraqi officials, according to a 1993 statement made by an Italian banker to prosecutors in Milan.

Auchi allegedly was paid $16.5 million for his work. The money was laundered through a Channel Islands shell company to a Panama firm run by Auchi called Barsy Services, according to the statement.

USA TODAY received the documents on Auchi from investigator Christine Negroni of Kreindler & Kreindler, a New York law firm investigating Iraqi assets on behalf of Sept. 11 attack victims.

In another business kickback scandal involving Auchi, British police last month arrested and charged him with conspiracy to defraud in a corruption trial involving French oil giant Total Fina Elf. Auchi's attorney, David Corker in London, did not return calls. Corker has denied the charges in British media reports.

* The Swiss financier. Elio Borradori, a retired 75-year-old banker, said he set up offshore firms as havens for Saddam's money after meeting him and Barzan in 1979, according to the British newspaper Sunday Times.

Borradori allegedly funneled millions of dollars through MEDP, or Mediterranean Enterprises Development Projects, a Swiss firm linked to 300 front companies worldwide, according to a private investigator who declined to be named and the Sunday Times.

A U.S. intelligence officer who is hunting for Saddam says Borradori appears to have been channeling and hiding Saddam's money, but investigators have not determined his exact role.

Once, Borradori told the Sunday Times, Saddam gave him a bullet engraved with the banker's name. Saddam's henchmen handed out silver bullets to warn people they shouldn't cross the dictator, says another U.S. intelligence officer.

More here:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atoday/5159930

Here's hoping these PI's will locate Saddam and his sons in addition to uncovering his money trail. This would be a rare opportunity and incredibly interesting assignment to take on.
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Kathleen,

I agree . What a great opportunity for the P.I. industry, it's nice to see the government willing to work with those "outside" their venue.

This has some good possibilities for PI's. If these private investigators can accomplish what needs to be done with this case and maybe even a little more, then private investigation as we know it will be in more demand than ever before making our time as private investigators more promising and rewarding than they are now.
    Robert Smith

Whew.......!!!

Pretty heavy work for someone.....and it won't be a novice I'm sure. However, it underlines that if you get good at your craft, there are pretty big opportunities for the knowledgeable and the aggressive.

Carolynne

Finding Saddam or some of his thugs would be great for the indiviuals carreer and everyone in the business, but I would really hate to see some naive P.I. w/o experience get involved in a case like this and get hurt. These people are not nice and have no problem hurting people.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    This is one area of PI work that does not need a license in New Jeersey.

There must be a great sense of satisfaction if you can help catch the really bad guys and get paid for it, too.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

I anticipate the day they capture Hussein and others.
    I really would like to see Hussein captured alive.

You go PI's!
    DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

Life is the souls nursery- its training place for the destinies of eternity.

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

I know that Saddam deserves justice, as do all his victims. But a live Saddam is always going to be a threat.

They need to catch him dead.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

I hear what you're saying, Michael.

I wasn't thinking of fair justice when I said capture him alive.

DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

William M. Thackeray

Either way, he'll be outta the picture I can't imagine he'll go willingly though, given the Hussein family arrogance trait
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Diane,

Oh, you mean you were not talking about "textbook justice". I would hate to think of the oppressed Iraqis getting their hands on Saddam -- could they live with themselves if they tore him apart alive? that is why I was thinking about a bullet-riddled body - with face intact.

This is getting depressing.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

What a great opportunity for the P.I. industry, it's nice to see the government willing to work with those "outside" their venue.
    I agree, here's to hoping they find everything

I agree with everone's thoughts.
    I just WISHED this was all over and Hussein and other Barbarians were caught and gone forever!
    Right Michael, this is depressing! SAD!
    DJ
    Badge #5625

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

We are losing too many good men and women in Iraq. The bad guys are still alive and the US is hemorrhaging cash.

As I said elsewhere, Justice answers to a higher law.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

We are losing too many good men and women in Iraq. The bad guys are still alive and the US is hemorrhaging cash.
    AGREED Michael !
    DJ
    Badge #5625

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

I was in my late teens during the war in Viet Nam. I am the father of a high school senior. My daughter's friends might enter the military (we live near both an Army post and an Air Force base) just to have a job. I would hate to see them lose their lives over a piece of [expletive deleted by author].
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

I hear what you're saying Michael.
    My brother did two tours in Viet Nam as did my husband, two brothers-in-law, two uncles and friends I grew up with ...some didn't return alive or dead!!!!. My dad was a POW in WII. I have a POW.MIA tattoo on my right ankle in rememberence to my dad and all who were, will be, and currently participants in war.
    I was a big protester in the 1960's against the war. My picture made front page news in The Philadelphia Bulletin. Something( protesting) I'm not proud of doing, now that I have matured.
    Every man in my family since the Colonial days have fought in a war. This now includes my oldest son, who recently returned from Iraq. During this Iraq war and war on terriorism I decided to be proactive and positive and support the troops by volunteering my time for aiding the families at home waiting for their loved ones to return from Afganistan, Iraq, or some other (so called) less news worthy country.

War is stressful for everyone, no matter if we have family or friends fighting or not. War is......................

WAR! The after effects are everlasting
    DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

I was not in the military, partly because I was never quite the right age. I grew up in a military household -- my father was career Army and fought in two wars, and my mother was a Marine. My kid sister (pusing 50) is still Air Force Reserve. I spent three decades building things to keep our warfighters alive and safe.

I have worked with soldiers, sailors, and marines who saw combat as early as the mid-1930s. I have heard the stories and felt their pain. I have friends who never came back, I have friends who have family members who never came back. I spent time in hospitals with the Viet Nam wounded.

War is not good even when the justification is absolute. Right now, there are not many people my age who are in the military and in positions of danger.

I see the possibility of a lousy economy driving my daughter's friends into the military. You cannot have a heart and not feel for them.

Diane,

I offer a taost and a prayer to all the men in you family for serving, and to the women who waited and watched.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Thumbs up

Yes! Michael,
    A toast to all life!

DJ
    DJ
    Badge #5625

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

I will toast to anything as long as it is with you.

I love your animated drink.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

DJ,

I loved your non-alcoholic toast for Michael.. that's awesome
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Hi Kathie,
    How are you doing?
    I remembered Michael said he didn't drink alcohol, so I did uncola, non-alcoholic effervescent want-a-be. It was a safer choice than even efferescent apple cider! 7-Up good stuff!
    DJ
    PS myself............ I Love a glass of Italian homemade wine now and than.
    DJ
    Badge #5625

William M. Thackeray

Diane,

My English grandfather (the one married to my Italian grandmother) used to make dandelion and elderberry wine. I do not really remember the wine, but I remember the eauipment from when I was 4 or 5.

I am sitting here with a diet coke with lemon. I have to save my last few cans of Mountain Dew Live Wire for a special occasion - today is the final day for Live Wire.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Unhappy

I will volunteer for this job!!!!!

Colleen L Hayes Badge #6915

Hi DJ,

I remembered he didn't drink too, and our conversation that day last time we toasted That's what made your toast with 7up so special Thoughtful and sweet
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Kathie,

That is what makes both you and Diane so special.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Awwww... Michael, that's sweet, thanks
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Kathie,

Did I embarrass you?
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hi Michael, Nah!, I appreciate the compliment, I was just being silly and having a little fun with ya
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Good Morning Kathie,

I like silly.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Where do I sign up
    Thats an assignment I think we'd all want!

This is an assignment that would help us get our training accomplished and we would all enjoy every second of it I'm sure.

I hope they catch this [insert your colorful word of choice here]soon...The sooner and deader the better.

Badge # 6758

Hi Michael,

Me too, it's fun to be silly
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Corrine,

I loved your statement [insert your own colorful choice of words here].

That's a good way to put it

It gets your feelings and point across, and still leaves room for a little creativity and fun for the reader, while remaining non-offensive and politically correct Too funny
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Kathleen,
    Thank you so much for noticing. It's hard for me to remain PC and within the bounds of forum rules when it comes to a topic such as this. I try to be ladylike, but I have to admit that I talk like an angry sailor about these things.

While I understand the weight of this, I have to keep a sense of humor, or I'd probably go crazy! (Plus, I do hope that my comments are enjoyable for the readers! )

So thanks! You just made my morning!

Badge # 6758

Corinne,

Interesting phrasing. I draw the line at good taste (usually), but I am offended by rigorous PC. I find it to be condescending and insulting.

I did notice that the forum can block certain words. I posted a comment about 'messing' up using a different word. The forum posted it with asterisks (******) replacing the word. The word is a common piece of hardware that is placed using a tool that is either 'straight' or 'phillips'. I avoid that word in the forums. I can see the point and I have no problem with it.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Michael,

That was just too funny.

Corrine,

Glad I made your day

Michael, I agree with Colleen, that was pretty funny
    Kathie

Badge # 6757

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast