Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where does IPIU refer You as a Private Investigator Trainee?

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Where does IPIU Refer You as a Private Investigator Trainee?

ANSWER:

Private Investigator Trainees are referred to our jobposting and agency forums and are encouraged to apply for assignments within a 45 minute drive-time from their nearest county courthouse.

The county records of your courthouse is the center
    of all civil and criminal records for your area,
    and at times a pre-investigation for the agency client
    may require you to pull record copies.

In general, you are not required to travel further
    than a 45 minute drive. If an assignment requires
    any unreasonable travel, then auto expenses can be
    added to your earnings.

If there is an assignment which exceeds the 45
    minute drive time, you have the option of turning
    down that particular assignment.

Sometimes a nearby private investigator in a neighboring
    county is unavailable. Your agency may contact you
    to see if you are willing to take on the assignment.
    If so, consider how many hours the assignment will
    total, times your hourly rate. And then determine
    if your net earnings after travel and dead-time is
    worth the assignment. Many agency managers will offer
    extra pay to offset dead-time and expenses.

Hopefully this will answer some questions to new
    private investigator members of IPIU.

If you have any general questions pertaining to this
    topic, CLICK on the "Post Reply" button and add a comment
    to ask me a question.

If you are already registered, and have different
    inquiries, post your questions in the Trainee Forum.

If you have Level 4 access, click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4856

Best regards,

David

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

dead-time ?

What exactly is dead-time?
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Re: dead-time ?

Originally posted by Darin Biddle
    What exactly is dead-time?
    Thank you for joining us on the forums, Darin.

Dead-time sometimes happens when a private investigator accepts an assignment outside of their local driving area (usually beyond a 45 minute drive from their county courthouse).

Some assignments pay time and milage outside the area to the city where the assignment will take place, while other assignments do not. In the event there is no time and milage to the area where the assignment is to be completed, then the investigator has to weigh how much the assignment will pay against how much time is involved to make the journey.

As an example, if an assignment was to pay $100 for five hours of work, and the drive time was 90 minutes each way, then the investigator would have to decide if it's worth 3 hours dead-time getting to and from the assignment to earn $100.

Another consideration in dead-time is whether or not an investigator has other tasks, visits, or stops he/she can make to justify the trip.

Cyntha Ford

Originally posted by Michael R Ivy
    So IPIU will be contacting us regarding assignments or will it be the agency we are referred to?
    A combination of both, depending which of the 30,000 agencies nationwide has hired a member.

Re: wondering

Originally posted by Tracey Tonkovich
    i live in a small town in ky the nearest town is lexington and it is about an hr or a little bit more than that how would it work with me getting work and all .
    IPIU usually considers a 45 minute drive okay. If you are willing to travel the extra 15-20 minutes to Lexington, then private email usa@ipiu.org and request them to add Lexington to your assigned area.

dead time aka dead heading

From where I sit, I believe I can reach 3 different county court houses, in 2 states, in less than an hour. As I read these questions about time spent in a car, I think of my own situation.
    If I go to the major city in about 35-45 minutes, I will have to pay around $20 for parking. If I take the train and a bus (one hour +) I will save some money but spend more time. There is surely going to be a long line. (more time spent)
    If I go to one of the other court houses, I will drive closer to an hour, but pay less than $5 for parking, if anything. Smaller counties will mean shorter time there.
    But there will be more work in the larger court house.

Being a newbie, I wouldn't be too anxious about asking for travel money, if it only meant a short distance more. I would leave that until after I have proven my capabilities.

The whole idea is a balancing act, which will come with more experience. Just my 2¢ worth.
    Joe
    Joseph R. Meiron

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: I AM READY TO BE A TRAINEE( HELP ME OUT) HAVE A GOOD ONE! BARB

Originally posted by Barbara Ellis
    I am ready to begin, so help me out ! THANKS
    Barb,

To start, click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=5008

After you have done the above,
    then click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3062

PS: Make sure next time you email notification is ON so that you know you have an answer waiting.

David

Daily Commute!

I live in a tiny town (500 or less). The nearest county courthouse is 40 minutes away. I want a wider area considered for me. Like, all of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and even the Waco metroplex, as I am smack dab in between both. How would I go about requesting this wider area consideration.

Inquisitive,
    Daymi E. Baker

Smile I am New to this, a little help please!

Howdy Yall!!!
    I am new to this, Can someone help me though the process of getting started? I have worked for a couple P.I. companys in the Las Vegas, NV. area, doing Insurance fraud Investigation. I would like to be able to learn and do more in the Investigation field. Any help would be great!

Re: Daily Commute!

Originally posted by Daymi Baker
    I live in a tiny town (500 or less). The nearest county courthouse is 40 minutes away. I want a wider area considered for me. Like, all of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and even the Waco metroplex, as I am smack dab in between both. How would I go about requesting this wider area consideration.

Inquisitive,
    Send an email to agentrelations@ipiu.org to have them add that option in your file.
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

Re: I am New to this, a little help please!

Originally posted by Kevin T. Rosenthal
    Howdy Yall!!!
    I am new to this, Can someone help me though the process of getting started? I have worked for a couple P.I. companys in the Las Vegas, NV. area, doing Insurance fraud Investigation. I would like to be able to learn and do more in the Investigation field. Any help would be great!
    All newcomers have some wrok to do first when they arrive here.

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3734

Lightbulb GREAT INFORMATIONS

Thank You for those helpfull information.
    Katerina Zah.Marino

Hi there, I have a question and hope I am in the right place to post it. I'm assuming the agency that you get "hooked up" with knows your new, do they give you training "in the field" or just say here's your assignment? I figure they know they need to help train you, is this correct? Thank you in advance for your help.

Cherie L. Bruni

Yes! Paid training

Sunya
    Sunya N. Nardo

With A Power Greater Than Yourself
    All Things Is Possible.........

Badge# 6821

RE: First Assignments it will be 2-3 weeks after reaching level 4 that you will receive your letters of referals and access to the forums.

Aloha,

Sunya
    Sunya N. Nardo

Badge# 6821

Aloha!

I believe you talk about this topic in level 4 forum where you can start a new thread. Because it talks about work I believe it should be on private forums not public, but I might be wrong.

A MOD or ADMIN might be able to assist you. Have a great day.......

Aloha,
    Sunya N. Nardo

Badge# 6821

Well, I live in Hamilton County, but am less than 30 minutes from the Marion County Courthouse. Do I understand that to mean that I will get assignments from both counties then? And do I contact them or do they contact me?

Originally posted by Glenn N Klipp
    Well, I live in Hamilton County, but am less than 30 minutes from the Marion County Courthouse. Do I understand that to mean that I will get assignments from both counties then?
    Yes. You are in a good location.

Originally posted by Ann Marie Ryan
    Yes. You are in a good location.
    Great. I live 30 minutes fron the court house of three counties. My little town is central. Thanks, Ann.
    Sylvia from Michigan

Glenn,
    Hi, I am located in Randolph County. I would think that there are various counties we would be able to find work in with the way the counties are set up over in our neck of the woods. I am wondering how going across the state line works, because I am within 30 minutes of the Darke County (Ohio) courthouse.
    Any input on this?
    Thanks!
    Christine R. Kuhns

Thumbs up Great Information!

Living in the smallest state of the union has more benefits than I thought it would!

Thanks for the great information.
    Diana DeClue

Badge #6850
    "Work smarter - not harder"

Tina M Phillips Guest
    This thread is very useful for me. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by Christine Kuhns
    Glenn,
    Hi, I am located in Randolph County. I would think that there are various counties we would be able to find work in with the way the counties are set up over in our neck of the woods. I am wondering how going across the state line works, because I am within 30 minutes of the Darke County (Ohio) courthouse.
    Any input on this?
    Thanks!
    Hello Christine. I am not sure if this is the answer to your question. But I live about 20 minutes from both Hamilton County and Marion county court houses. IPIU told me that I would possible get assignments from both counties. Hope this helps.

Nice

More helpful information. Thanks to all who contributed. The more posts I stop and read the more I learn about my impending journey into a career rather than a job.

Red face Location, Location, Location!

It's always about location. LOL. This is very informative and all forums, especially this one are great training for trainee hopefulls, like me. If your location isn't the best, it sounds to me like you can always expand yours by opening up further travel times. Last time I checked we are still free to "Move about the country". The first step of a journey is much harder than the second, and then the third is easier than the second, and so on. IPIU takes the pain out of the initial few miles. It's like getting a new pair of shoes broken in ahead of time. Many Thanks.
    I'm still struggling with my work history, although everything else is ready to send. It is probably me making it more difficult, but I know I will be judged as worthy or not based on appearances. I thought this would be a good place to say this, as my fingerprints etc are all done, but I am at "WAR" with my employment history. It is holding up my paperwork, and I just needed to vent that. I still have much to learn and have no intention of rushing anything, anyway, but everything else is ready to mail, except my bizarre, work history, and the accompanying issues. ARRRRGGHHH
    Last edited by Dabra J Grant -; 05-14-2004 at 10:53 AM. Reason: insert word

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabra J Grant
    everything else is ready to mail, except my bizarre, work history, and the accompanying issues. ARRRRGGHHH
    Dabra,
    don't fret... it will turn out alright at the end... have a little more faith in yourself. People from IPIU and other eyes browsing around, have already got to know you a little from all your great inputs in the forums. I would think that they can leave past be past, and see where you are at now... and that is being ready to persue the career of a great PI

Many Thanks Petra..........

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Post
    Dabra,
    don't fret... it will turn out alright at the end... have a little more faith in yourself. People from IPIU and other eyes browsing around, have already got to know you a little from all your great inputs in the forums. I would think that they can leave past be past, and see where you are at now... and that is being ready to persue the career of a great PI
    Thank you for your kind and encouraging words Petra, I just have the hardest time dealing with things (in this case my bizarre work history) for which there are no rational explanations for and defy all logic, but which have caused me continued discomfort.

Thanks for being so uplifting and it is all good that I need to deal with these issues. I have done nothing wrong, that is not the problem, but I have had a very bad run of luck, in the past few years with employers, I'll just leave it at that.

I know it's time to move on, but for some reason I am needing to confront and put to rest the double edge sword that has been wielded against me. It's been very bizarre and too strange and un-nerving to describe.

If I had been able to afford an attorney or could have found one with a backbone, one who had some "true grit", it might have been a different story. It was not and the experiences will make me a better investigator. I just have to come to terms with it and my own powerlessness, which is not easy for a hard headed woman like me.

Peace Petra... Thanks.
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

Lightbulb Where I'm Refered to as an Trainee!

Thank you Mr. Copeland,

I have wonder where I would be sent for assignments.I live in an small town.But not far from an larger one.When I start to work is it possible to take assignments in both towns,at the same time?I feel that the experiance of both would benefit me in so many different ways.I want to receive as much knowledge as I can.
    Thank you once again

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Dabra J Grant
    Thank you for your kind and encouraging words Petra, I just have the hardest time dealing with things (in this case my bizarre work history) for which there are no rational explanations for and defy all logic, but which have caused me continued discomfort.
    You are very welcome, Dabra,
    I know how you feel because I am in the same dilemma... I definitely have life experience but that isn't enough for some jobs... well, we don't want those 8-5's anyway, we are ready for the investigators in us... lol... with IPIU's help and all the 'old dogs' (meant well) of the business, we are in the best of hands... you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Post
    we are ready for the investigators in us... lol... with IPIU's help and all the 'old dogs' (meant well) of the business, we are in the best of hands... you'll see.
    Petra, you are too funny. "the old dogs" actually they call them the "old salts", but the old ones are the best.... to a point.... cause by Joe, even my Grandpa used to say to us: "If that old dog don't want to git out there and hunt, you best get yourself a younger one who will" Uh Huh - Uh Huh. Actually my grandad didn't speak that way, it was someone elses grandpa, but a little humor gets me through the day! See you at the science lab at 1900 hours. LOL

PS: I do need to practice on my Military Time, If I don't use it I lose it and have to start all over again. Yes, more homework Petra, there is so much to learn and apply as far as tools of the P.I. trade go. Just imagine if knowing military time might just make or break an investigation someday. What a great adventure.
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

***** Certified SPI

Dabra,
    I see you are here... but where....yiekkeess...lol
    military time, hmmmm. We use that type of time telling in Germany as well. I always used to call it a german thing. I grew up knowing my clock like that, so if you need help I will be there for you with this...(and other stuff, too, of course). So now I got to go to search and find science lab?? Are we talking in riddles or just joking?? Would that be EST or Pacific?? 7 pm it is... tomorrow? I'll keep looking for ya...lol

Placement as a PI trainee

Hi,
    Thanks David for the information that you supplied on this topic it was a help to me it refreshed my memory about this subject.

Thanks
    Agent Ted W Primm
    Last edited by Ted W Primm; 07-13-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Flip Flop

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn N Klipp
    Well, I live in Hamilton County, but am less than 30 minutes from the Marion County Courthouse. Do I understand that to mean that I will get assignments from both counties then? And do I contact them or do they contact me?
    I have the same problem you do only I live right on the border of Marion and Hamilton and want to include Hamilton. Glad you were here first to clear this up for me.

hello cynthia ford,
    I am sure to have the same problem like this dead-time. its because I have to take public transportation. And am still determined to get started and give enough time to reach my destination. I am planning to experience the new career and start saving to buy own car and move on. Do you think its meaninful. let me try this way.
    any suggestion.
    Mohan

[B]Thank you so much for this much needed and pondered information.It has been very helpful to read and to read what everyone else has to say about it also.I hope to see you all around here, and i look forward to reading and participating in more and more forums.

All,

I never thought about other counties, because the county is fairly large and the court house is less than 10 miles away. To expand my horizons, I need to look at the other counties. Hmm, I have some time to check all that out.

Good info!

Thanks

Cheryl

Exclamation My Location, Is it a good location ?

I live in the Souther Tier of New York State, right of the Southern Tier Expressway ( I-86). I am approx. 1.5 hrs from Buffalo, N.Y. and 1.25 hrs from Rochester, N.Y. are ther many opprotunities in this area for me? I would appriciate hearing from anyone working in this area.

Thanks
    Brad Watson PI Trainee

Hello Everyone

Im so glad this question was asked and was glad to see all the replies. All the information I have read so far has been a tremendous help, and I appreciate all of them. Im in the middle of Jackson County and am surrounded by others in a very short distance. Looks like Im in a good location.
    And thank goodness I've brushed up on military time lol
    Thanks again
    Penni

Quote Originally Posted by Penni Rogers
    Hello Everyone

Im so glad this question was asked and was glad to see all the replies. All the information I have read so far has been a tremendous help, and I appreciate all of them. Im in the middle of Jackson County and am surrounded by others in a very short distance. Looks like Im in a good location.
    And thank goodness I've brushed up on military time lol
    Thanks again
    Penni
    Penni,

I am in Jefferson County, so we are a good distance from each other. I wanted to see what agencies were in my area, so I did a 'google' search. Looks to quite a lot, I am just curious to find out who is registered with IPIU. I guess time will tell.

Another "Show Me" girl,
    Cheryl

I'm ready to work now.I'm recently out of a job,I have to provide an income.I'll drive anywhere I have to drive,and do whatever job I have to do,and I'll get it done.How long does it take to get to go to work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast