Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: How can we better absorb all that we need to?

Michael,

I wish that was the only thing it took for me to keep from embarrassing myself!

I've been told many times that I am "methodical" to a fault. Some say I'm extremely organized! The company I worked for (over 30 yrs) loved it. My step-daughter just walks away, shaking her head! What's a girl to do?! LOL

Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I needed that!

Well, last post of the night...yeah right! I just can't stay away. LOL

Have a nice night,
    Cleo

Great tips Cleo, thanks for sharing, sometimes these threads get very cumbersome, especially when they date back several years - I like your system and will try it to see if it works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori A Marshall
    Great tips Cleo, thanks for sharing, sometimes these threads get very cumbersome, especially when they date back several years - I like your system and will try it to see if it works for me!
    Lori,

I know how you feel. I don't like to "skip" the old ones because I find just as much interesting information on them as I do the newer ones.

I hope my system works for you, too! Good luck!

Hi All,
    I'm new to this thread, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the helpful comments. It is amazing how much information is available - but more than that, how MANY PEOPLE are on the forums contributing regularly. This give the feeling of a true community and that makes for a great start into this career. It's the help and support of so many that makes this an amazing place to be absorbed in, while we're absorbing!

K -
    Trainee
    Last edited by Jim Harrington; 04-18-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    TJ,

Nice thread starter... look where it's headed in time. You ever go back and look at all the posts you have answered. Isn't it funny, I just started recently but already feel like I've known you all forever. I love going back sometimes and seeing how daw some of the stuff is that I wrote at the beginning, lol. I have learned so much since then. Thanks to you, TJ, and the others that keep on giving.

Take care.

Thomas J Nicol is offline Ambassador of Good Will
    International Private Investigators Union

Sr. Distinguished Member

Talking Like the song goes -- "funny, isn't it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Post
    TJ,

Nice thread starter... look where it's headed in time. You ever go back and look at all the posts you have answered. Isn't it funny, I just started recently but already feel like I've known you all forever. I love going back sometimes and seeing how daw some of the stuff is that I wrote at the beginning, lol. I have learned so much since then. Thanks to you, TJ, and the others that keep on giving.

Take care.
    Hi Petra,

Thank you for your kind words. Looking back, it has been more than a year and a half since I posted this thread. Seems like so much longer. The great replies that were given, I'm certain, have helped many more reading through the thread.

The following is not directed to anyone special but to all who might benefit. In so stating, have you read the thread I placed in "Test Your Forum Writing Skills on this Forum" Do's and Don't of writing

It wasn't easy to put together but after many visits to the forums and much reading I felt it was imperative, to help those who may not have given it a second thought.

Anyway, I'm not on commission just trying to get the good word around.

Thanks again for your reply. Hope you have a great week,

TJ

Deborah,

Thank you for the valuable information. It's hard to absorb all the information at once. It is like anything in life, a system to follow is good. I plan on trying it today.

Patti

Thank you for all the input it is giving me hope and direction, it is so good to be apart of this wonderfull organization

I started from the top then worked my way down the forums. It made it easier for me. I also started to make a file on some of the good information that we might need as we start working for agencies, just in case i might have to refer back to it.

I am so inspired by this thread. I am really looking forward in learning as much as possible.

Thanks all!

I also started at the top of the forums list and I'm working my way down. Yes, you will remember the information that interests you the most, but you may come across something that you end up being interested in, in a place you wouldn't have thought to look.

Bob

That was a really good question and I have seen some very good answers. I think Johnny Balla's suggestion was best. I am going to build on the skills I already have and after I have more experience then I can branch out. Thank you to all the contributions. I am still in the credentialing stage but I've learned quite a bit already.

There are many trainers, moderators, and members that will help you right from the start. Begin from the top, and go from there. Many of the trainers and moderators will give you advice on where to go next. These are the areas you should enter and begin absorbing at your own pace. So far, by going step by step, I have learned that this is the easiest way to educate myself on how this system works. Always remember that this is part of your learning and training.

Good Luck!

Shawn

I find it useful to re-read interesting topics

Arrow There is Hope

If I may share my experiences with you and how I broke into this field. I was fortunate in that prior to getting into the investigative field, I was a flight attendant for Eastern Airlines. Eastern A. went out of business and I was left without a job. Through my wife, I was introduced to a former Flight Attendant of TWA who happened to own and operate a PI business. The owner gave me a chance and the rest is history. From 1992 to present, I have been employed as a PI investigating insurance fraud. I have experienced many things throughout my carreer as a PI and I'm still learning. Recently, I have taken the plung to start my own business and although things are slow, I'm optimistic. In the year 2003, I was honored as the "Investigator of the Year" at my then employer. I guess what this is all leading to, read as much as you can, but also take the intitiative to go out and find an agency who will employ you. In some states, like NH, you must work under a licensed Agency for 4 years before you can apply for your license. Above all, don't get discourage. Success translated is the fortitude and ambition that is required to go after those things that the other guy is not willing to pay the price for. Good Luck my Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Burrell
    If I may share my experiences with you and how I broke into this field. I was fortunate in that prior to getting into the investigative field, I was a flight attendant for Eastern Airlines. Eastern A. went out of business and I was left without a job. Through my wife, I was introduced to a former Flight Attendant of TWA who happened to own and operate a PI business. The owner gave me a chance and the rest is history. From 1992 to present, I have been employed as a PI investigating insurance fraud. I have experienced many things throughout my carreer as a PI and I'm still learning. Recently, I have taken the plung to start my own business and although things are slow, I'm optimistic. In the year 2003, I was honored as the "Investigator of the Year" at my then employer. I guess what this is all leading to, read as much as you can, but also take the intitiative to go out and find an agency who will employ you. In some states, like NH, you must work under a licensed Agency for 4 years before you can apply for your license. Above all, don't get discourage. Success translated is the fortitude and ambition that is required to go after those things that the other guy is not willing to pay the price for. Good Luck my Friend.
    Ronald,

Quite an inspiring story! I, too, was laid off after 18 years at my former employer. I was unemployed for 13 months & then got a couple of low-paying no where jobs. I finally saw that you didn't have to be a former cop to get into the PI business & I joined IPIU to get the ball rolling & get back to a decent job again. I'm almost there - sent in my test & schedule the otehr day!

Bob

Hello Everyone,
    I have a few things I would like to pass along to everyone.
    First off, A huge thank you to every one that lends a hand helping us new comers plug along.
    It is over welming at first but it's mostly the drive and wanting to accelerate in something we all have in common.
    If there's no gas there is no acceleration. And with out the gas company (Everyone in the forum) none of us could survive. Thank you again.
    I too am excited about sending my prints/photo on this day.
    As far as absorbing, yes there is alot but take your time and you will absorb information. If there is any question while reading reread it. Yes it may take longer, but for busy people such as us all, taking a few minutes longer will show in the long run. Always keep in mind what may seem like a piece of cake really isn't. Look at the whole and you will never be wrong.
    (Shhhhh this is some anchient wisdom! ) LOL!
    Have a good night.

So Many

So many wonderful people in here trying so hard to help each other as they help themselves is a very good thing to see. Good luck to everyone and thank you to all those who help.

Ronald thank you for the hope.
    I guess you never know how it will all work out, but in the end it does. We can get our biggest breaks in the least expected places.
    Especially if we are willing to do the work.

Wink Not without hurdles

Thanks for your responce. I'm finding that in soliciting work, one has to be persistent and I suppose that is half the battle. I'm trying to think of ways to set myself apart from other competitors, but I'm also finding out that this is more of a challenge than I expected. Basically, most investigative companies offer the same service, with the exception of your more alete companies that are specialized : ex. forensic or homicide.

PS - Where's the spell check.

Well, keep up the good work and will chat with you another day. Take care my friend.

Ron :

Ron,

I've joined a free small business development 14 week course and I am looking to do the same thing. It takes a lot of research. Thanks for reminding me. I have a statistical data paper due on Monday, describing exactly what is happping and where it is happening and by who.

We also must be on the same wavelenght, I was wondering where the spell check was too. .

I recommend asking local colleges and the small business development corps. in what ever city or town you are in where the free classes are. They are a Gods' send. Just like the people an IPIU.

Thanks to all for your words of encouragement, and to the other new members for asking the burning questions! I'm learing so much!

Thomas J Nicol is offline Ambassador of Good Will
    International Private Investigators Union

Sr. Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Burrell
    Where's the spell check.

Ron :
    Hi Ron,

In order to spell check, you either need to copy and paste to a word-processor and spell-check, or you can copy a specific word to www.spellcheck.com

Hope that is helpful.

Hope you are having a great week,

TJ

tip: keep a notebook to jot down tips & tricks yo fni in the forums...

Tip: make a seperate folder in your favs for PI resource links.

Tip: burn a copy of yur fav folder onto disk, in case your pc crashes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4