Thread: Can I perform suveillance for them and charge them a fee?

1. Can I perform suveillance for them and charge them a fee?

Here is an interesting question. Someone approached me knowing that I am pursuing work as a Private Investigator and ask me if I could help them locate where someone works that owes them money and has a judgement against them for $3000.00. Can I perform suveillance for them and charge them a fee to help them out and earn money at the same time???

Hello Jeffery!

I'm sorry I don't have an answer.

My suggestion is to read your state laws.

Here is the link!
    Licensing Laws Only: Private Investigators
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=31 I hope this helps.

Have a good night!
    BECKY BROWN
    Badge # 5534

Also look up the collection agency laws in your state. You might want the person to assign the judgement to you so that you can collect for them in thier behalf and you get a fee.

You can also buy the judgement from them for discount if you want to go that route. This is just an option.

"I am not a lawyer and this is not meant as legal advice."
    Make the truth known

Re: Important Question

Originally posted by Jeffrey Tennant
    Here is an interesting question. Someone approached me knowing that I am pursuing work as a Private Investigator and ask me if I could help them locate where someone works that owes them money and has a judgement against them for $3000.00. Can I perform suveillance for them and charge them a fee to help them out and earn money at the same time???
    No.

You need to work with a licensed Arizona agency who will share the retainer with you and teach you as well.
    Technical Support
    Administrator

5. Thank you!

Thank you for answering this question. I appreciate it!

Question

That was a good question Jeff...I wish someone could ask me to do something like that! So what are you going to do?
    Myava S. Waring

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    The way I read it in my state of TN you can look for people and give the information but you cannot do any collection. Anybody can do people searches without a liscense.

Mu understanding of the question was that he was providing surveillance, not trying to collect funds from the individual. Did anybody else get the same impression. If so, would it then be legal for him to do surveillance work or would it be considered illegal since this is not an actual case but rather a favor for a friend? Just curious.

Jenifer Jewell-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

I dont believe it would be legal. Surveillance is something that is usually done by a PI or other related Criminal Justice licensee. Go though the process in your state to get your license and then follow the rules. Short cutting it will only get you in trouble. Usually if you are in doubt of something you know there is a strong possibility that you do not have legal standing.
    I am a licensed PI in my state and I have to follow the rules set up by my state. In my state this would be highly illegal. But not all states have the same strict rules. Best to check your states legal requirements.

Jenifer Jewell-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

To clarify my post above ** Technically we, as PI's, are considered "registered" and not termed "licensed" as a PI in Virginia.
    However I am "licensed" as a Bail Enforcement Agent under the same state rules though DCJS.