Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Are you a "Toastmaster" or "Dale Carnegie Graduate"?

A Little Toastmaster Info

Hello Robert,

I am by no means an authority on Toastmasters International (TM) or Dale Carnegie. As a former member of TM, I do have a binder filled with information somewhere. However, I can tell you that the program is a public speaking and leadership development program operating at the regional, state and national levels. Many employers act as sponsors for the program by supplying free meeting space and encouraging employee participation. Each group is chartered and is assigned to an area and regional president. Each charter elects their own officers; i.e.; President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc who perform specific duties outlined in the by-laws. The meetings are held as frequently as desired by the charter and each meeting lasts between 1-2 hours (mostly over the lunch hour). Charter members are scheduled to give prepared speeches that are timed and critiqued by their peers. Comments are made regarding diction, articulation, presence, eye contact, etc.

Novice TMs advance from one level to another after presenting so many speeches. This is strictly legit and confirmed by pins and TM titles. The information is reported to the Regional Toastmasters division and remains a part of your record throughout the TM organization. TM has numerous events outside the workplace and also compete against one another at the regional, state and national levels. I was a participant for several years and truly enjoyed the program. It's also good to discover and address some of those "speaking deficiencies" and mannerisms we're totally unaware of. Certain things like "um" and other "dead space" counts against your final score for each speech. You need to score so high on each speech or repeat the presentation in order to receive credit. Amongst other things, you learn how to capture and maintain the attention of your audience and effectively use visual aids to enhance your presentation. A few speeches and you'll know whether or not you can take constructive criticism. It helped thicken my skin, I'll tell you that.

Since IPIU is involved, I would think that they have the information on the sign-up process. Otherwise, you can try www.toastmasters.com on the web. That will give you all the different TM areas. Or, try www.toastmasters.org which is the website for Toastmasters International.

I hope this answered some of your questions.
    Last edited by May K. Toney; 04-23-2003 at 03:56 PM.
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

Thanks

May,

Thank you, it did answer my questions and I have put the websites on my internet server providers main page so that I can access them. This is actually more information than I thought I would receive. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Robert Smith

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Robert Smith

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Hello Robert,
    You're very welcome! Glad to finally be of some assistance to someone. Best wishes for your future success!
    MT

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Thanks

Originally posted by May K. Toney

Hello Robert,
    You're very welcome! Glad to finally be of some assistance to someone. Best wishes for your future success!
    I would like to thank you also for your eloquent explanations. This will help. Good luck to you.
    Carmen Acai
    Sr Moderator

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

You are most welcome Carmen. Best wishes for continued success.
    MT

6. Hi, Sandy!

Thank you for the links. An acquaintance of mine once attended a Dale Carnagie seminar and got a lot out of it. This may seem like a stupid question, but does TM help shy people like me?

I've given lots of presentations and speeches over the years, but not without considerable butterflies and rapid speech.

Originally posted by Deborah Woehr
    This may seem like a stupid question, but does TM help shy people like me? I've given lots of presentations and speeches over the years, but not without considerable butterflies and rapid speech.
    Hello Deborah,
    The answer to your question is
    "ABSOLUTELY". The members of your charter group are there to support, encourage and help you not embarrass or belittle you. The culture is similar to the IPIU forums. The charters are melting pots of various personalities, backgrounds and interests. The members are also at various levels in the TM organization. But all of them began at the same point so they readily identify with the common fears associated with public speaking.

The charter members work together to achieve their individual goals. It's not a place to hide because participation is closely monitored. Anyone who doesn't volunteer to speak is soon drafted. The criticism is always constructive and respectful.

I understand how you feel about being shy and we've all felt the butterflies when all eyes are upon us. But with the help of TM and lots of practice in the workplace, I really overcame this. I'm still somewhat shy but I've learned to deal with it a lot better. After a massive layoff, I lost track of my charter members and I never found a charter that worked with my schedule. I'd welcome the opportunity to get involved again. It was time well spent! If you decide to give TM a try, I'm sure you'll
    LOVE IT and it's also a lot easier on your pocketbook than some other things out there! Best wishes for your continued success! GO FOR IT!

Last edited by May K. Toney; 04-23-2003 at 03:54 PM.
    MT

8. Thank you, Sandy.

I'll check out those websites you listed.

I am a new member and this is hopefully the beginning of a new career for me that i am very excited about. I have not taken either course but it all sounds very interesting to me,like so many others i am also excited to learn all i can!
    Anna G Duffey

IPIU will be sponsoring worldwide local clubs for members to meet weekly under the Toastmasters International Club Organization, which will prepare members to obtain cases and clients locally.
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to check and see if there had been any updates on when these meeting will be starting and where. I would love to be involved with this.

Though I have never participated in either Toastmasters or Dale Carnegie, my aunt is an active member with Toastmasters in Oklahoma and she loves it.

Cool Checking also

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leisl D Olson

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to check and see if there had been any updates on when these meeting will be starting and where. I would love to be involved with this.

[/i]

I would also like to hear if there might be any of these meetings in my area. Thanks.
    Sylvia from Michigan

This comes as a nice surprise, for I have been invited to be a guest at a local Toastmasters in my area for this week. Looking forward to this.
    Millie Peever

Originally posted by Millie Peever
    This comes as a nice surprise, for I have been invited to be a guest at a local Toastmasters in my area for this week. Looking forward to this.
    I checked the Toastmaster Website. There are no meetings convenient to me, so I ordered a start pack for a new club. I have attended meetings in the past.
    Sylvia from Michigan

Some of these posts are quite old, at least a year in some cases. So I am not sure whether this topic has been dropped or not. However, I have been involved in several Toastmasters clubs, and would be very interested in further developments.

Thank you.

Cool TM Opportunities

I, too, am not a Toastmaster's or Dale Carnegie grad, yet have been a public speaker for many years. Is the project IPIU has been working on restricted for TM & DC grads? I would be most interested in finding out more about participation.
    If anyone monitoring this forum can advise me I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks!
    Val
    Badge #6860

Endless Possibilites -
    Unlimited Potential
    /cpr

Thumbs up Dale Carnegie / Toastmaster

Yes, I have completed the Dale Carnegie class, HOW TO WIN. This class was paid for my by employer, after being on the job about 6 months. I got the name of PERKY during this class. I throughly enjoyed this class. I think the most rewarding for me was learning names, and the name association process learned.

I did participate in TOASTMASTERS for a while. I think I held the distinguished honor of having the most AHHS in any speach. I am now more aware of saying "AH".

I hope this helps.

S. Philbrook

Lightbulb Would like an update

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to see if we have heard any updates on possibly getting something like this started in the Arizona area. Currently, there are between 4 and 6 IPIU members in this area that I have been corresponding back and forth with through the forums and we would all like to meet and get to know eachother on a more personal basis. If anyone could assist us in doing this we would be most grateful!

Take Care,
    Kristen Godot Badge #6931

Talking I am YES on BOTH

I attended toastmaster meetings in the past and I graduated Dale Carnigie's Public Speaking and Human Relations Course training at their offices off of N. Druid Hills Road in Atlanta, GA.

I also have the original 1st edition of Mr. Carnigie's book "How to Win Friends And Influence People" I got from my grandfather.

I would like to participate in a Toastmasters IPIU meeting in the Atlanta area.

Lightbulb T.H.E.O.S. In America

T.H.E.O.S. in America stands for To Help Each Other Succeed, in America.
    Theo is the greek root for "God Within". So many years ago, I was trained in the methodologies & ideologies of such timeless great thinkers and achievers: Dale Carnegie, Napolean Hill, Og Mandino and many others from this short lived club that was based in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey, but had trainers flying in from everywhere. I still have my written notes, and library of books by these authors.
    The training I received when just 17 years old has stayed with my through many a storm, and is lacking in today's corporate society and in general.
    I would love to hear what happened to my past alumni & instructors who paved a way for me to maintain correct thinking throughout my tumultuous life. I thank them each and every one, and endeavor to keep the flame burning, as it certainly is just a burning ember now. Nevertheless is still burns bright and true within me, whether or not anyone else is able to receive it.
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

Have attended several presentations classes and once attended Toastmasters through my previous company. However, I really disliked most of those who were attending so dropped out. If there is one in Ohio where many PIs attend, would love to hear about it. Guess the question is, would a regular Toastmasters serve my purpose as a PI.

Thumbs up Dale Carnegie Grad

I am a Dale Carnegie graduate of the Public Speaking and Human Relations of 1977. I used to work for Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh and my branch manager strongly recommended that I attend the classes. I was 24 years old. The course really benefited me throughout my life, as I did gain much more confidence in dealing with the public and in my own personal life.

Lori Copaus is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    In our area, there's a local Toastmasters group that meets, my mother graduated to speaker, but left after about 2 years, is it different from the one were talking about for IPIU? and how do i join? I am a very shy person and have never been able to talk out in front of a crowd.
    Thanks,
    Lori E. Copaus

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    I sure know how to put my foot where my mouth is... lol... So, I would love to attend either or maybe even both... count me in. I will check around if some will happen near by. Am I afraid to speak in public... no way, I am not afraid, but I can run...lol

Hey, Lori,
    Check back some threads, it will show you some links to go to. Good luck.

I won the Highest Achievement Award from Dale Carnegie.

I have graduated from Dale Carnegie course.

I had completed the Dale Carnigie Course "How to Win Friends & Influence People" course with public speaking several years ago at the Carnigie Institute in Atlanta.

I'm a Toastmaster Graduate of 1988 for Lousiville, Kentucky.

I am neither one. How would you like to help and tell more?

I will be a Campbell University graduate soon for BAS degree (with psychology). Will that be enough?

Derek E Moore is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:
    I am a TOASTMASTERS
    Derek E. Moore
    Badge #11527

Re: Are you a "Toastmaster" or "Dale Carnegie Graduate"?

I have have not been in either but i want to, sounds interesing

James Edward Buchanan,III is offline Moderator: (On leave of Absence)

Corporate Agency Owner
    Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Exclamation Toastmaster Update?

Attn: Administration

Are there any updates available concerning the development of IPIU sponsored Toastmaster Chapters?
    Any information would be most helpful... Thanks in advance...

James E. Buchanan, 3rd
    "I would much rather have a few successful friends in high places,
    than a lot friends that are doing nothing."

JB3

Derek E Moore is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:

Talking Re: Are you a "Toastmaster" or "Dale Carnegie Graduate"?

I am a Toastmaster!!!!!!

Toastmasters International Distinguished Toastmaster Award 2006fficeffice" />>>

Toastmasters International ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Mentorlace> Certificate 2006>>

Toastmasters International Leadership Excellence Certificate 2005>>

Toastmasters International Competent Leader Certificate 2005
    Toastmasters International Club President Plaque 2004 - 2006
    Toastmasters International Assistant Area 18 Governor Distinguished Area Certificate 2004-2005

Nicolle Sullivan is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Hi everyone!
    I would like to know if this program is still active and if so, is there a program in my local area: Chicago, IL.
    Thanks in advance

Gaetano Martinez is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Funny you mention it administrator. I have been thinking about small groups for a while now. If there was a way for us agent members wjo live in the same state or county to get together on a regular basis would be fabulous. Kind of like a task force if you will. Everyone in that small group helps everyone in it to succeed in our industry, and be there for each other. You always hear law enforcement professionals, fire rescue, etc talk about being a part of a brotherhood. Well I think that we as investigators are too.

Some days we help each other with cases. On another day we're having a get together or bbq to have a bunch of people who not only do what you do but are a part of the same organization I think not only will help moral, but help those just getting started. We do need to do this ladies and gentlemen.
    INSP. Gaetano Martinez S.A.O

I'm an active Toastmaster here in central California. It is not related to investigative work, but if you join you will improve your speech-writing and speaking skills. I also find it has helped me better organize my writing. I would recommend it to anyone.

Ted Menard is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Corporate Agency Owner

Member of:

Yes, Toastmasters and ummmm, Carnegie as well as ummmm several Fraternal orgs. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3