Thread: AOL Email Users Announcement!

AOL Email Users Announcement!

For the last two years we have strongly recommened that private investigators and members do NOT use AOL as their primary source of email and web surfing. For what AOL charges, most of their "services" are available on the Internet for FREE.

Secondly, AOL uses the slowest Internet speed for most of it's members, which is why they are loosing thousands of members to the highspeed broadband Internet providers such as cable and DSL.

Third, AOL web browsers have been extremely incompatible with many websites, where the AOL browser will not even load up the website page! Fortunately AOL users can open up a Windows Explorer Browser window to connect to all websites.

Fourth, AND MOST IMPORTANT, is the ineffective use and deception claims that AOL email works all the time on the Internet. Some of the 18,000 IPIU members send is email from their AOL email box and we never receive it. If we do receive, then our email going back to the AOL member is rarely received!

We believe (for now) that AOL emails are getting through. But still, consider spending your money more wisely and get with the 21st Century HIGH SPEED internet connection to receive near all of the AOL features for free.

Here is a copy of a status report that all AOL users should be aware of:

Update 4:30pm EDT 18 October 2002:

The problem sending email to AOL is still being resolved. We have been in contact with AOL all this week, and despite meeting their requests to remedy our situation two days ago, we have not been removed from their blacklists.

We have spoken with AOL representatives again today and they have opened an internal ticket to AOL's postmaster. They have said that they will be working on the problem through the weekend. At this point we have no ETA.

If you wish to express your concern with this, you may contact AOL at the phone number mentioned in the error messages and let them know that you are unable to send email from HostRocket.

We apologize for the delay with this, but we are doing our best to get AOL to remove us from their blacklists.
    Update 4:00pm EDT 21 October 2002:

We have been in contact with higher-level management at AOL. They have assured us that the AOL block relays will be lifted by 9:00am EDT tomorrow 22 October. They have also apologized for our experience with the AOL call center support staff and the erroneous information supplied by them over the course of the past week.

We have set up a "feedback loop" with AOL in order to handle individual complaints against us prompty after the fact instead of instituting AOL's default policy of blocking the offending IP mail relays.

Thank you for your patience with this issue.

Update 10:30am EDT 22 October 2002:

AOL has called us in inquiry and we confirmed that our AOL customers are still being blocked in their email. They are working on the issue and we are expecting an update very soon.

Update 11:00am EDT 22 October 2002:

The issue with AOL is now resolved.

Thank you again for your patience with this matter.

Until . . . next time.

Thanks for posting this!

After I read this I cancelled aol and got earthlink. My computer is actually working so much better. Everytime I came to the ipiu site my mouse and keyboard just started acting up and I keep getting kicked off. I thought something was wrong with my computer and my mouse and keyboard. Now everything's working like it's suppose to.

Thanks to you I don't have to get a new computer or take it to get repaired like I thought I was going to have to.

Wishing you the best in the New Year!
    BECKY BROWN
    Badge # 5534

Re:AOL

Becky:
    Good move to dump AOL but IMHO going to earthlink is not much better. They still try to make you run things their way. If you use a private ISP that provides unlimited internet access and email then you can use your choice between Netscape and Internet Explorer for you browser. Your cost will be between $10 and $15 a month for dialup or between $30 and $50 for DSL.

I agree with the statement that Windows XP is the preferred OS and it come with the latest version of IE included. If you network two or more computers in your home or office, XP Pro is better than XP Home although more expensive.

My own choice is XP Pro on a 1.5GHZ machine with 512 MB RAM.
    I use a DSL connection and my computers (3 networked) are almost never shut off.

Remember, one of the keys to a good running computer is plenty of RAM. This is even more important than a fast processor. (And less expensive.) Windows XP does not want to work very well on anything less than 128 MB RAM, but if you have intergrated video, you need at least 256 MB.

If you (or anyone else) is confused by the above send me a private email and I will try to explian.

Thanks for the advice George.

I know I would love to be able to get the dsl but, I just can't afford that right now. When I'm able to get something better George I will let you know and probably need some good advice as to what is best.

I know what you mean about the ram I only have 56 rams I want to get more but right now it's just something that'll have to wait. I eventually want to get a new computer or at least upgrade it. I have a compact with windows 98, no Xp For now I just have to be happy that I have a computer.

Take care!
    BECKY BROWN
    Badge # 5534

Hi Becky:

I understand your delemma. Even with Win 98, 56 MB RAM is not enough. If you can it should be upgraded immediately and you will notice a huge differance. If your machine will take it, you can put in an additional 128 MB fo less than $50 for the part.

I know that you are in Ohio and I am in Connecticut but you might want to look at this web site "http://gnacomputer.com" and then get in touch with me. I can probably help you a lot.

Thanks for the advice George!

I will see if my comp will take that if it does I will get it, that's pretty reasonable for 128 mb.

Thanks for the web site I will have to check that out. Yes I will check with you because i'm sure i'll need help.

I've had a comp for several yrs but still don't know much about the hardware and stuff like that usually have to find someone that knows what they're doing to help me.

Thanks again and take care!
    BECKY BROWN
    Badge # 5534

Unhappy

Hmmm, some of this information may be from 2002, but perhaps it explains why I am having so many problems with a laptop computer that is just over a year old (no warranty, at this point, of course). I have been considering dropping the aol for cable modem lines, and now I am pretty sure that I should do so. Fortunately, I do also have an email address with yahoo, so the transition may not be too difficult.
    Let's hope some of the issues I am having become non-issues shortly. Thanks for the info.
    Rosemary Lynch
    Badge # 6716

Originally posted by Rosemary Lynch
    Hmmm, some of this information may be from 2002, but perhaps it explains why I am having so many problems with a laptop computer that is just over a year old (no warranty, at this point, of course). I have been considering dropping the aol for cable modem lines, and now I am pretty sure that I should do so. Fortunately, I do also have an email address with yahoo, so the transition may not be too difficult.
    Let's hope some of the issues I am having become non-issues shortly. Thanks for the info.
    (IMHO) It is always a good idea to get rid of AOL. Especially if using dialup. Remember, AOL is not an ISP it is a seperate service and a gateway to the internet and that is why it is slow and knocks you off so often.
    If you have the choice, get DSL rather than cable. It will be faster and probably more reliable. I had cable and switched to DSL. With the cable I was lucky to get 640K downstream. Now with the DSL I consistently get 1.2 to 1.5 Meg.

Real dummy about computers

I enjoyed reading all this information and know that all you are saying is true. I have aol and am always getting these messeges
    that i will be cut off or some other stuped notice. There I am surfing and all of a sudden I lose the connection or am told that I have proformed an illegal something or other. I haven't done a thing! and off I go. Yesterday I couldn't connect to IPIU. I kept trying then I tried to connect to other sites and that failed. I kept getting this white page. I turned off my computer, waited a while
    then tried again with no problem.

If I call aol, they try to tell me that something is wrong with my computer. They give me thing to do that I truely know nothing about. Yet I feel that they are wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. It will get ssooo slow at times that I want to scream, Yet I know that early in the morning it flies. I clean my cookies all the time.

Well enough babbling, I was just venting. Thanks!

Carmen
    In all your getting, get wisdom!

Re: Real dummy about computers

Originally posted by Carmen Miranda
    [.

If I call aol, they try to tell me that something is wrong with my computer. They give me thing to do that I truely know nothing about. Yet I feel that they are wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. It will get ssooo slow at times that I want to scream, Yet I know that early in the morning it flies. I clean my cookies all the time.

Well enough babbling, I was just venting. Thanks!

Carmen [/B]
    The only solution is to get rid of AOL and go with a small local ISP. If you are using dialup, it will probably be cheaper and definately be more reliable.

Thank you,
    [COLOR=red ]by George[/COLOR]

Thumbs up

HI
    Thanks for the warnings concerning AOL or aol (#$@%^& BEEP! BEEP!) or any other name we do not call it over the internet.

I tried aol's free trial offer and had to wait forever to talk to a human body in order to cancel before my free trial deadline was over.

I think aol and their employees should abandon ship and go to work for another company that has compassion for its customers.

Down with aol

Ray Montana

Re: AOL Email Users Announcement!

I use AOL, but it is free, I have DSL high speed through satelite dish because of where I live. I do have gmail, I guess I should start using that more and get away from AOL. It is true AOL mail does not go through and AOL blocks you from some sights, which in my opinion if I want to view that sight then that is my business not AOL's business. I have been using my Internet 7exporer more when I go on the web, just need to break old habits I guess.

Robert Munson is offline **

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Re: AOL Email Users Announcement!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen R Curry
    I use AOL, but it is free, I have DSL high speed through satelite dish because of where I live. I do have gmail, I guess I should start using that more and get away from AOL. It is true AOL mail does not go through and AOL blocks you from some sights, which in my opinion if I want to view that sight then that is my business not AOL's business. I have been using my Internet 7exporer more when I go on the web, just need to break old habits I guess.
    Karen,

Are you aware that IPIU offers an email address that you can use for the forum and for other places you might want to use it. You can follow the link to find out more about it.
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19427

Bob