Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PI LICENSING: Pennsylvania

Jeffrey Barbieri - is offline ***
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: PI LICENSING: Pennsylvania

Hi Chris,
    I'm in NJ as well. What steps did you take to obtain your NJ PI License if I may ask.
    Jeffrey

Hello, I"m sorry if this was covered and I missed it while reading the thread. I, also, apologize for my ignorance!
    I currently work for a Private Investigation Agency and I have a PA & NJ license number on my ID card, Is there any difference between being licensed thru my employer and getting licensed myself? Does my License only cover me while working for my employer? or can I do side jobs utilizing this license?
    Any information is appreciated!! BTW I am a retired (due to injury, I received a service connected disability pension) Philadelphia Police Officer.

Thanx, DAN

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burch View Post
    I currently work for a Private Investigation Agency and I have a PA & NJ license number on my ID card, Is there any difference between being licensed thru my employer and getting licensed myself? Does my License only cover me while working for my employer? or can I do side jobs utilizing this license?
    The most accurate answer for both of your ID cards is this:

1) Scan both ID cards (front and back) and save as an image file on your computer.

2) Then attach the image(s) to an email, and send the email to legal.affairs@ipiu.org - and type in the Subject Line "Please verify the conditions of these licenses"

3) We will then be able to provide you an acccurate answer on both ID cards, and what you can and cannot do - if it applies.

Sincerely,

Ann Marie Ryan
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Ryan Johnston - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

All, not to sound cocky, I am an expert in the Private Detective Act of 1953 which regulates contract security and private investigators. To the last post, for those who do not have "experience" especially law enforcement at that, start studying up PA House Bill 1174 or 1774 dont have number on me at this moment. It will revamp the act to basically state if you work for a security agency for 3+ years you qualify, also if you have an out of state license, you qualify, etc...
    Also, it is going to separate the PD Act of 1953 into numerous: Security Services license, Private Detective license, Fugitive Recovery license, and armored car license all into one act. Study the new house bill, its 3/4 of the way there, it just needs to go out for vote.

Ask any questions about Pennsylvania licensing and I should have the correct answer, if not I know where to get it and I can provide support.

Trying to help the profession,

Ryan Johnston

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

Ryan,

You may have a more reasonable law than the New Jersey Private Detective Act of 1939. Our law was drafted by the State Police to provide limited access to a career field that they wanted to save for retired State Police officers. Under a very strict reading of our law, if you accept a reward for finding a lost dog, you violated the PD law.

To All:

The only way around this is to work with the IPIU, and find someone with a license to mentor you.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Johnston View Post
    All, not to sound cocky, I am an expert in the Private Detective Act of 1953 which regulates contract security and private investigators. To the last post, for those who do not have "experience" especially law enforcement at that, start studying up PA House Bill 1174 or 1774 dont have number on me at this moment. It will revamp the act to basically state if you work for a security agency for 3+ years you qualify, also if you have an out of state license, you qualify, etc...
    Also, it is going to separate the PD Act of 1953 into numerous: Security Services license, Private Detective license, Fugitive Recovery license, and armored car license all into one act. Study the new house bill, its 3/4 of the way there, it just needs to go out for vote.

Ask any questions about Pennsylvania licensing and I should have the correct answer, if not I know where to get it and I can provide support.

Trying to help the profession,

Ryan Johnston
    Ryan,

First, please let me say it brings a sigh of relief to see a new member referencing actual laws - An amazing first impression, if I may say so.

The IPIU Legal Affairs Department typically handle the licensing and updates, but someone like you who (as you claim) is an expert in your local laws and regulations would be a great asset to the membership here. I don't have the time now as I am supposed to be getting ready to go to work, but I look forward to looking up your introduction topic and starting a conversation with you.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3