Thread: PI LICENSING: Georgia

PI LICENSING: Georgia

NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED
    IF you fall into the following:

Section 43-38-14.
    1. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: An attorney's assistant (or employed private investigator) in performing his or her duties (for the licensed attorney);
    2. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: An attorney at law in performing his or her duties;
    3. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: A person engaged in the business of furnishing information in connection with credit or marketing and a person or firm engaged as a consumer reporting agency, as defined by the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act;
    4. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: This chapter shall not apply to a person or corporation which employs persons who do private (investigations) work in connection with the affairs of such employer only and who have an employer-employee relationship with such employer. Neither such persons or corporations nor their employees shall be required to register or be licensed under this chapter, although such persons or corporations or their employees may elect to be licensed under this chapter.
    5. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: An officer or employee of the United States of America or of this state or a political subdivision thereof while the employee or officer is engaged in the performance of official duties;
    6. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: A firm engaged in the business of independent insurance claims adjusting whose employees hold a valid Georgia adjuster's license;
      or
    7. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: The employees of a firm mentioned in paragraph (6) of this subsection;
    8. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: A peace officer employed on a full-time basis by a federal, state, county, or local law enforcement agency who contracts directly with an employer to work during his or her off-duty hours and whose off-duty employment is conducted on an independent contractor basis with another employer other than a peace officer engaged in the private detective or private security business or a private detective or private security agency, subject to Code Section 16-10-3, relating to the receipt of funds by state officers or employees for the enforcement of penal laws;
    9. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: This chapter does not apply to any person covered by Chapter 8 of Title 35, the "Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Act."
    10. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Admitted insurers, agents, and insurance brokers licensed by the state while performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;

PERSONAL NOTE: FOR OTHER "INTERPRETAIONS", click here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3558

(*) = Clarification/Interpretaion

SOURCE:

TO APPLY FOR A LICENSE
    (If you will be advertising on your own as a Licensed Private Investigator):

Georgia Board of Private Detectives & Security Agency
    166 Pryor Street, SW
    Atlanta, GA 30303-3489

WEB SITE APPLICATION:
    Download Forms Menu

General Information Link

Verify Personal License

Verify AgencyLicense
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Jereme K. Amberson
    Hello,

I was browsing through the Georgia Laws concerning Private Investigating and I found something that concerns me. The following is copied directly from their website.

43-38-16 G
    *** CODE SECTION *** 12/03/01

43-38-16.

Any person who engages in the private detective business or private security business or offers, pretends, or holds himself out as eligible to engage in the private detective business or private security business and who is not legally licensed or registered under this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Each day or fraction of a day that he practices in violation of this chapter shall constitute a separate offense.
    I really don't want to do anything illegal. It is my understanding from this website that I MUST be licensed or registered or I will be charged with a Misdemeanor. Any help would be appreciated.
    "Registered" or "Licensed" only applies to those areas of conducting investigations that are REGULATED by the state, and NOT those areas which are EXEMPT (See Post #1 for all of the exempted investigations).

As long as you are a private investigator within the exemptions, you are okay.

Originally posted by Michelle Anarell
    how does one get a license?

Michelle,
    Georgia does have an exam for licensing. However, GA does not give you any help in studying for the exam nor do they provided any sample exams.
    It's unfortunate, but I agree that it does seems that as long as you pay the fees, you can probably get your GA license.

Hope this helps.

Herman
    Herman Thomas

TO APPLY AS A "LICENSED PI":

Originally posted by Michelle Anarell
    how does one get a license?
    Along with going to one of the 3 websites provided, you would need to posess only one (1) of the following ...:
    1. 2years on the job training working for a licensed detective company as a registered private detective, or
    2. 2 years full time employment with law enforcement -federal,state, county, or municipal police depaartment, or
    3. A 4 year degree in criminal justice, or
    4. Apply as a trainee (with no experience) under an agency application showing you as the owner, with a licensed PI as your spare-time employee.
    James M. Cary Jr

I'm also from Georgia, thanks alot for all the information.

Hello Rhett: I take the exam 7.27.06. I will try to remember to come to this forum and let you and others know kind of what to expect. I have heard that it is hard and can take 2 or 3 times to pass. Soooo wish me luck.

Kathy

I am out of luck here. I'm just a PI Trainee. I have talked to dozen's of law offices and PI agencies in Georgia. None of them willing to retain or hire me. All I want is to be employed by a GA licensed PI so I can take my PI license, but no luck. What's next for me? Anyone have any other suggestions? Since April 2006 up until now I have no luck in getting employ by anyone. I look every single day and night no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Toly Xiong
    I am out of luck here. I'm just a PI Trainee. I have talked to dozen's of law offices and PI agencies in Georgia. None of them willing to retain or hire me. All I want is to be employed by a GA licensed PI so I can take my PI license, but no luck. What's next for me? Anyone have any other suggestions? Since April 2006 up until now I have no luck in getting employ by anyone. I look every single day and night no luck.
    Toly,

Go here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...441#post402441

PS: This is not the topic for your inquiry. This is a Licensing topic for the statutes. Thank you for your support.
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

To all others who have posted discussion of job results and job opportunities and test results, please do so in the following Level 4 Union Members Category:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236

If you do not have Level 4 Access, click here to request it:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/sendmessage.php

Also, email addresses that are posted must be preapproved. To apply for a free email, read the details in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19427

Re: PI LICENSING: Georgia

Thanks to everyone posting this information, it is very helpful!

Reda Coston is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I agree, here's the official code.
    SECTION 10.
    Said chapter is further amended by revising Code Section 43-38-16, relating to penalties, as follows:
    "43-38-16.
    Any person who engages in the private detective business or private security business or offers, pretends, or holds himself or herself out as eligible to engage in the private detective business or private security business and who is not legally licensed or registered under this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500.00 nor more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than three years, or both. Each day or fraction of a day that he or she practices in violation of this chapter shall constitute a separate offense."

I too am from Georgia, Thanks for the info!

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

Looks like the re-did their webpage...

http://www.ganet.org

http://www.sos.state.ga.us

Go to Business, Labor & Employment
    Licensing
    Private Detective
    Georgia Law

§ 43-38-14. Exceptions to operation of chapter; local regulation

(a) This chapter shall not apply to:

(1) An officer or employee of the United States of America or of this state or a political subdivision thereof while the employee or officer is engaged in the performance of official duties;

(2) A person engaged in the business of furnishing information in connection with credit or marketing and a person or firm engaged as a consumer reporting agency, as defined by the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act;

(3) An attorney at law or a bona fide legal assistant in performing his or her duties;

(4) Admitted insurers, agents, and insurance brokers licensed by the state while performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;

(5) A peace officer employed on a full- time basis by a federal, state, county, or local law enforcement agency who contracts directly with an employer to work during his or her off-duty hours and whose off-duty employment is conducted on an independent contractor basis with another employer other than a peace officer engaged in the private detective or private security business or a private detective or private security agency,
    subject to Code Section 16-10-3, relating to the receipt of funds by state officers or employees for the enforcement of penal laws;

(6) A firm engaged in the business of independent insurance claims adjusting whose employees hold a valid Georgia adjuster's license; or

(7) The employees of a firm mentioned in paragraph (6) of this subsection.

(b) This chapter does not apply to any person covered by Chapter 8 of Title 35, the "Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Act."

(c) This chapter shall not prevent the local authorities of any municipality or county, by ordinance and within the exercise of the police power of such municipality or county, from imposing local regulations upon any street patrol, special officer, or person furnishing street patrol service, including regulations requiring registration with an agency to be designated by such municipality or county.

(d) This chapter shall not apply to a person or corporation which employs persons who do private security work in connection with the affairs of such employer only and who have an employer-employee relationship with such employer. Neither such persons or corporations nor their employees shall be required to register or be licensed under this chapter, although such persons or corporations or their employees may elect to be licensed under this chapter.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1973, p. 40, § 15; Ga. L. 1975, p. 785, § 1; Ga. L. 1978, p. 1515, § 2; Ga. L. 1981, p. 1828, § 12; Ga. L. 1982, p. 3, § 43; Ga. L. 1991, p. 1027, § 3; Ga. L. 2000, p. 1161, § 7.

§ 43-38-14.1. Restrictions on local business licenses

(a) No municipality, county, or other political subdivision of this state shall grant a business license to any person required to be licensed under this chapter until such person has made bona fide application to the board to be licensed under this chapter and the board has taken action under the application other than refusal, cancellation, revocation, or failure to renew the applicant's license.

(b) As used in this Code section, the term "person" shall mean any individual, firm, association, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 43-38-14.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1984, p. 1338, § 4; Ga. L. 1993, p. 123, § 45.

§ 43-38-15. Applicability of chapter

No individual, firm, association, company, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation shall engage in any activity covered by this chapter unless such individual, firm, association, company, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation is in compliance with this chapter.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1981, p. 1828, § 14; Ga. L. 1993, p. 123, § 46.

§ 43-38-16. Penalty

Any person who engages in the private detective business or private security business or offers, pretends, or holds himself out as eligible to engage in the private detective business or private security business and who is not legally licensed or registered under this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Each day or fraction of a day that he practices in violation of this chapter shall constitute a separate offense.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1973, p. 40, § 16; Ga. L. 1981, p. 1828, § 15; Ga. L. 1984, p. 1338, § 5.
    http://www.georgia.gov/00/channel_ti...2_4971,00.html

Application/Payment Address
    P.O. Box 13446
    Macon, GA 31208

All Other Correspondence
    (Physical Address)
    237 Coliseum Drive
    Macon, GA 31217-3858

Board Offices
    478.207.1354 (fax)

Administrative Offices
    478.207.1363 (fax)

http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/detective/

Thank you legals, for simplifying this quote for us
    Last edited by Petra Post -; 09-23-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Just so everyone in Georgia knows, tests are given in Macon only. The fee schedule for GA is here:

http://sos.georgia.gov/acrobat/PLB/3...20Schedule.pdf

Testing dates are here along with the "cut" off dates to secure a seat.

http://sos.georgia.gov/cgi-bin/ExamDatesResults.asp

Just FYI

If I'm a licensed P.I. in TN and I want to open a branch office in GA,do i have go though the licensing process all over again? Or does GA recognized TN license.

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Clark View Post
    If I'm a licensed P.I. in TN and I want to open a branch office in GA,do i have go though the licensing process all over again? Or does GA recognized TN license.
    Willie,

You may want to go directly to the Georgia licensing laws website....

Good luck

Petra Post,

I'm a new member and am really enjoying the forums. I have a couple of questions pertaining to Georgia.

Do I have to complete an 80 hour state approved PI course before I can work as an intern/trainee for an agency in Georgia?

I understand that after I complete 2 years with an agency, I can take the state exam. Thank you for your help.

Blessings,

Mark

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tillis View Post
    Petra Post,

I'm a new member and am really enjoying the forums. I have a couple of questions pertaining to Georgia.

Do I have to complete an 80 hour state approved PI course before I can work as an intern/trainee for an agency in Georgia?

I understand that after I complete 2 years with an agency, I can take the state exam. Thank you for your help.

Blessings,

Mark
    Mark,

I am glad you enjoy the forums. You're already at the best spot for your question Keep reading up on the Georgia licensing. In my eyes, an actual PI course is never wrong. I would do it if you have the chance to

IPIU has agencies listed that will train you to complete their assignments, and you can get some great experience by applying to as many as you can, that we have listed here. Always come back to the topic where you've applied and list your jobs done. That way you accumilate hours worked and you can use IPIU as a third party certification at a later time. Anything will help in the long run

I hope this helped a little to get you going. Good luck

Hi Petra Post,

Thank you for the reply. I agree that getting more schooling is very beneficial.

I'm going to go through IPIU's course regardless. I'm just not sure if Georgia PI laws will allow me to train with an agency and perform surveillence work, background checks, etc. before I complete a state approved 80 hour course. Since you are in Georgia, I was wondering if you know the answer. If anyone else knows the answer, feel free to chime in also. This is a great place to learn.

Blessings,

Mark

Reading 43.38.7 under

TITLE 43. PROFESSIONS AND BUSINESSES
    CHAPTER 38. OPERATORS OF PRIVATE DETECTIVE BUSINESSES AND PRIVATE SECURITY BUSINESSES,

I can't find anywhere in the chapter that states I would have to complete a state approved 80 hour course before I work for an agency. I meet all the requirements under 43.38.7.

If I'm reading this correctly, I don't actually have to complete the state course before I begin work with an agency. Now, in a situation where the agency prefers that I do, then I certainly would have to.

Blessings,

Mark

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tillis View Post
    Hi Petra Post,

Thank you for the reply. I agree that getting more schooling is very beneficial.

I'm going to go through IPIU's course regardless. I'm just not sure if Georgia PI laws will allow me to train with an agency and perform surveillence work, background checks, etc. before I complete a state approved 80 hour course. Since you are in Georgia, I was wondering if you know the answer. If anyone else knows the answer, feel free to chime in also. This is a great place to learn.

Blessings,

Mark
    Mark,

That again would depend if you can get in with an agency without having any background in investigative work or not. Not sure how much experience you have at this time By all means, apply to an agency if you feel you're ready and see if they will register you under their license. Then you should be able to complete background and surveillance work under their license to my knowledge...

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Blog Entries

Update PI LICENSING: Georgia

The Georgia Board of Private Detective and Security Agencies was created for the purpose of safeguarding the citizens of this state by regulation of the private detective and security businesses. The regulation of such business is declared to be in the public interest.

The seven members of the Board, appointed by the Governor, have the authority to determine the qualifications of applicants for licensure or regulation. The Board meets at least 8 times a year to review applications, administer examinations, license qualified applicants, and regulate the professional practice of licensees throughout the state. Complaints are investigated and, if warranted, disciplinary action may be taken by the Board. Meetings of the Board are held at the Secretary of State’s offices in Macon and are open to the public. Persons wishing to bring matters for the Board’s consideration should submit written notification or request to the office.

Private detective businesses and private security companies are required to have a company license issued by the Board. The private detective employee, armed or unarmed, must be registered as an employee with the private detective company. Armed security guards must also be registered with a security company. Unarmed security guards are not required to be registered but must have completed the minimum number of training requirements set by board rule. The Board also licenses training instructors to regulate all training requirements for licensure, registration, and weapon permits required by the law.

Concealed and exposed weapon permits are issued only upon a complete employee application submitted by the company. The company certifies that the employee has met the training requirements of the law and rules.

The Board also has inspectors that schedule and perform inspections of the 1,030 licensed companies. Inspections are conducted to ensure compliance with established law and rules.

There is so much more information available, it is best to go directly to the source: http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/detective

I see the state does not administer the test anymore, but instead it's contracted to PSI. The GA SOS website provides a link to PSI's testing page, but I have not been able to find any information regarding the test or practice test. Can someone help me find that information?