Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Process Server Laws: Texas

great info, but where can I go to find the class or course to become a process server.

Post Texas Process Server Association

To find out more information on becoming a process server in Texas, you can also go to http://www.tpsa.ws

how does one recieve training as a process server
    Rasheed Akir

Kalvin Kelly is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Great advice on Process Serving in Tarrant and Dallas Counties, Thank you

Kalvin Kelly

TPSA, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Rooney
    Hey Folks:

For those who have not kept up with it - the Texas Supreme Court has taken over providing a standing order for the entire state. There are certain requirements needed to meet the requirements - go to this website to see the requirements and to see if you were grandfathered - On Standing Orders in Dallas, Denton, or Harris County.

http://www.supreme.courts.state.tx.us/psrb.asp

Cheers

JR
    JR,

Are you a member of TPSA? I've considered at least taking one of their courses. And, does the Texas Supreme Court certification for process server allow you to serve anywhere in Texas, with the exception of those counties mentioned?

I already do some civil process service incidental to my PI work, but was interested in this "state certification".

--
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Rooney
    Matthew:

Yes I am a member of TPSA among other organizations.
    The Supreme Court Certification is good for all counties in the state of Texas except:
    To serve in Harris County you must attend a course certified for Harris County - Harris County Young Lawyers (Once a Year) or TCLEOSE certified courses - which are taught periodically throughout the state.
    The TPSA Course - there is one scheudled later this month in Mesquite -are good for all counties EXCEPT Harris County.

Cheers

JR
    Well, my employer called me recently and asked me to go to the next TPSA seminar and get certified. He is paying my dues and my seminar fees, so I cannot complain. Seems as though since as Texas PIs we have to do criminal/FBI/fingerprint, that we would automatically not have to do all that again for the Supreme Court, but I guess that's bureaucracy for you.

I go to Austin Nov. 12. Hope to meet some others there.

--
    Matthew

You obviously have a good employer - I don't know if I will make it to Austin or not "depends" on what I've got going on ..

Cheers

JR

TPSA Seminar

The TPSA seminars are worth the time and money. Plan on being there 8 AM to 6:30 pm, though.

However, the information is very valuable. It also counts as 2 hours of Ethics and 6 hours of Investigations toward your bi-annual requirements as a licensed PI.

If you are serving process in Texas - you need this course! I enjoyed it. Be warned - there IS a test at the end!

--
    Matthew

Yeah, but I'm not sure if I will ever be working in Harris County. But, the day may come.

Matthew:

It's not the "working" in Harris County it is the "serving Process" for Harris County. I missed a service in Rockwall County because I wasn't certified for Harris County Service ..

JR

I live in Texas [edited by moderator - forum rules] and currently taking the PS Course by NAIS. (www.pimall.com) After I complete that I have to submit an application to be registered with the Texas Supreme Court as all Process Servers in this State must do.
    Last edited by Petra Post -; 02-08-2007 at 06:39 AM.

Calvin:

Is thie NAIS course approved by the Process Service Review Board (PSRB)??
    http://www.supreme.courts.state.tx.us/psrb.asp
    Also, Registration with the PSRB is NOT required if the local court is willing to give you a process service order, either as a standing or per case order.

Cheers

JR

I was told that the course was acceptable, however that was interesting about the local courts. As it was explained to me registering with the TSC covers you you throughout the State and reg with local courts if only a PS wanted to just work within that jurisdiction.

I just paid $145.00 for this course if you have info on other courses please educate me and clarify the requirements for court registration. Thanks!
    Last edited by Edward Taguba; 02-08-2007 at 12:57 PM.

hould I take a course on how to be a process service?

Rule 103 of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure requires all persons making application to become a Certified Process Server to pass a proficiency examination after having taken an approved training course. The course must cover the historical aspects of civil process, and state rules and laws governing the service of process. We advise all persons to take at least a Basic Introduction to Process Service (PSA101). Too many people in the profession today remain unfamiliar with the law, the "ins and outs" of the profession, and legally required procedure.

Is it possible to serve a paper incorrectly?

Yes. There are several decisions where a court of appeals has rendered a decision that the improper service of a legal document was sufficient grounds for the reversal of a lower court's order or final judgment, leading to retrial, or a dismissal of an entire proceeding.

Am I required to take a course before becoming a process service?

Yes and No. If you are intending to obtain Certififcation from the Supreme Court of Texas, then you must take an approved course, and pass a proficiency exam before submitting your application. If you intend only to serve process out of one or two counties, you may not be required to take such a course. Check with the courts in each county for specifics.

How is the course administered?

Courses are available online at PS-Academy.org. We have no course by mail, nor do we offer courses in seminars. A student must enroll, pay the course tuition, and take the course online by logging in each time he or she continues with the course. The student is not allowed to download or print any section of the course, or any test or exam. The student has 14-days within which to take the entire course and pass the final exam. A student can proceed at his or her own pace. The course is timed, and requires you spend a minimum of 7-hours of actual "in-class" time. It could take longer, depending on your reading spead.

How will I be tested?

Each of the six modules ends with a short quiz that consists of five questions (multiple choice, and true & false). The student must correctly answer 4 of the 5 questions before being able to move on to the next module. If the student does not answer 4 questions correctly, he or she will be given an opportunity to go back and review the contents of that section, and take the test again. You will be given a total of two chances to obtain a PASSing score for each module. The student must pass a minimum number of modules before being permitted to take the Final Exam. If the student does not pass those tests, a FAIL score is given, and no certificate of completion is bestowed. When the student has completed taking tests in all modules, and has received a PASS score in most of them, then the Final Exam is administered. The Final Exam consists of 50 questions (multiple choice, and true & false). If a student receives a PASS score in all tests, he or she must achieve a minimum score of 70% on the Final Exam to PASS the course. The PASS score for the Final Exam increases, the lower the number of tests passed (for instance, if a student receives a PASS in only 5 modules, he or she must achieve a minimum score of 75% on the Final Exam to PASS the course. If the student receives a PASS in only 4 sections, he or she must achieve a score of 80% on the Final Exam to PASS the course). If the student FAILs the Final Exam, he or she will be given an opportunity to go back and review the entire course, after which you may take the Final Exam again. You will have two chances to review the entire course and take the Final Exam in order to achieve a PASSing score. All of this must be done within the 14-day time limit.
    Shadow Services Group of Texas, LLC
    Texas, USA

(Additional Signature Pending Approval)

Calvin:
    I can find no reference to NAIS having a PSRB approved training course - you need to contact the PSRB and obtain clarification

JR

James Bone is offline ***
    Licensed Private Investigator

2006 - 2011 Professional Member of:

Re: Process Server Laws: Texas

I have been doing alot of checking on Texas Process Servers. In the state of Texas you must now be certified by the Texas Supreme Court, and the certification covers all 254 counties in the state. You have to take a certified class that is accepted by the Texas Supreme Court, pass a test, and submit all your paperwork and be approved before you are "certified". Just a word of caution, before anyone joins TPSA I would highly recommend you read this first. http://www.texasprocesswatch.com/tpwHome.html
    Last edited by Petra Post -; 01-30-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Does anyone know the average pay per assignment for a process server in Dallas County?

Andres

Anyone know what would be "disqualifying criminal convictions"?

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Emal View Post
    Anyone know what would be "disqualifying criminal convictions"?
    Usually a Crime involving moral turpitude.

See the following definition link:
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...oral+Turpitude

"Crimes involving moral turpitude have an inherent quality of baseness, vileness, or depravity with respect to a person's duty to another or to society in general. Examples include rape, forgery, robbery, and solicitation by prostitutes."

If there is some doubt, you call the licensing board to inquire.
    Josie

MS. JOSIE RAY
    Federal Civil Case Manager
    Law Offices Of Attorney Services
    National Division

Thank you Josie Ray. A friend of mine is interested in process serving but got a DWI a few years ago, so I was just curious if it would hamper her chances.
    Thanks again for the info!

On the private process server application for Texas (Tx Supreme Court) it says that I am to include a copy of my original criminal history record obtained within 90 days of submitting the application. Anyone know if there is a fee, or how long it takes to get this record? I'll be looking online for info on DPS site. Their site isn't very easy to navigate.
    Thanks in advance for any info!

I found the website to request criminal record:
    https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...tal/index.aspx.

Raul Lopez-- is offline *** Certified SPI
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Thanks for the info!

Romeo Giovani-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Update on becoming a certified Process Server:

1. Attend the server processing course approved by the Texas Supreme Court Server Processing Board
    2. Attain fingerprint and background check
    3. Fill out the application for Server Processing
    NEW! 4. Pay the 225.00 fee

Yes now there is a fee associated with your certification. HB 1614, 82nd Legislature, R.S. and Article Seven of SB 1, 82nd Legislature, S.S., authorizes the Process Server Review Board, with approval from the Supreme Court, to collect fees for process server certification and renewal of certification. This legislation becomes effective September 1, 2011, but the Board does not plan to begin collecting fees until January 1, 2012. Prior to the due date for payment, you will receive a billing statement showing the amount due and the date by which it must be remitted to the Office of Court Administration.

For more information go here: PSRB Home Page
    ROMEO GIOVANI
    Licensed Private Investigator
    Bounty Hunter
    Texas, USA

[Remaining signature pending approval]

Yes you have to call the prison and set up a time during normal buisness hours.

Danny Guda is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Get your DBA legal services affiliate yourself to P.I, and Firms. In the State of Texas you have to go to training with PILB to become a Process Server.

dannyguda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2