Thread: Should I pursue a Master's Degree?

Hi Cynthia! I was confused as to whether or not I should pursue a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice. Your thread has helped me to put things in perspective.

I definitely know that investigations is what I want to do and and studies in criminal justice may not really pertain to what I want to do. However, do you think it would be a waste to obtain my masters in criminal justice. I just like the trust that comes with having obtained a master's degree. Do many clients and agencies tend to flock to investigator's with a degree in criminal justice or criminology? I really want my Masters but I don't want to spend the money if it will do me no good at all.

What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
    A. Saxon

Originally posted by Antwanika Saxon
    do you think it would be a waste to obtain my masters in criminal justice.
    No, it is not a waste of time. You just have to make your degree work for you in your pursuit.

What educational degree do you have now? Or, are you just starting out in your first year towards your 2-year degree?

Well, I have my bachelors of science in Finance. Finance is boring to me and I wanted pursue a Masters in Criminology or Criminal Justice.
    A. Saxon

Originally posted by Antwanika Saxon
    Well, I have my bachelors of science in Finance. Finance is boring to me and I wanted pursue a Masters in Criminology or Criminal Justice.
    Then you're practically already there!

(I'd like to invite you to POST under a new Topic the Criminal Justice Master's Degree program for your university. If you have Level 2 Access, then you can post it in the Educational Forum. I believe it would be helpful to all others who have a 4-year degree and wish to compare the remaining 2-years of requirements for the Masters, and to compare the usefulness of the degree within the private sector)
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

Thank you for all of your help and insight. I will do that.
    A. Saxon

I believe having a degree shows an outstanding accomplishment.

Stacy MOll

Associate Forum Member

Thumbs up Master's Degree in Criminal Justice

I am in a Master's of Criminal Justice program right now and I cant tell you enough of how much I am learning. I think it is wise for you to pursue your degree. When you are in school and working in the field of investigations it is so exciting. It gives you a more enhanced knowledge of the field. I will tell you how I get the most out of my program. I take classes that specifically pertain to investigations like organized crime, criminal investigations, criminal procedure, women in criminal justice, forensic science, criminology, security administration in the private sector, substantive criminal law and so on. But, you get a ms in criminal justice and tailor you concentratio in private investigation. I got my PERC card, FOID gun card, 20 hour security training and 20 hour gun training. You make the most out of your career. The degree is for your future and benefit and it never a waste of time to receive more education especially when it something that's a passion for you. It also look more promising on your resume and if you ever want to get into administration in criminal justice you got it. so you go girl.