Thread: Why I joined the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) and have a PI Agency Corporation License

Barb Walsh is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Everyone seems to have good reasons for beginning their corporation thru IPIU.

I live in Oklahoma, and I took the required state training, but when I found out the costs involved- WOW. Here you have to have an agency and an individual license, you do not get choice in one or the other. the state upped the fees the year I took my classes. Insurance runs over $900 per year and this was the cheapest I could find. To get a corporation here there are more fees involved.

I got my training and 6 separate certificates in PI work so I could have a career, not some boring job. Even the training I took from the state was geared more to do surveillance for insurance companies, or for cheating spouses. While some may find this a good area, I did not, so I was already limited. Once the classes were over all you had to do was take the test, and I was not trained in the area of my interest. My other certificates did cost more money but now I have the part that was missing.
    When I attended the PI Association meeting, I was surrounded by Process Servers, with no one doing or knowing anything about my chosen area, it was disappointing.

Joining the International Private Investigators Union, I found hundreds of other people who are in varied different areas of PI work. It was refreshing. I have read many threads, gained valued info, took notes on stuff I was unsure of and re-read them often. Also there is always someone who puts in something I had not thought of. If I have questions, there is someone out there who jumps in with an answer.

After passing the test and getting my ID, I decided I wanted to be my own boss and wanted my business to progress the way I wanted to take it. I got my corporation, with an easy set up thru IPIU, and the costs involved have been low, so I keep startup costs to a minimum. I am a 2nd year corporation, and will begin looking for clients in May.

The list of the varied areas a person can go into is like nothing I have seen in any of my training. It has given me many new directions to pursue, and I have found some training resources which have added certificates to my resume. Had the list not been provided, I would have missed something of value.

IPIU created the booklet about Virtual Corporations. Again, I have never seen this elsewhere, and it is very useful. The information provided has allowed me to gain more knowledge, and be sure I have everything set up right. The IRS tools are great too. Everything in one place, it can't get better.

So I guess my biggest reasons for setting up my corporation with IPIU are:

• The lengths IPIU has gone to for their members to be totally prepared for the corporate world.

• Making it easy and inexpensive to get everything set up.

• The fact there is always someone there to answer questions- you aren't left in the dark to figure it out on your own.

• Walking you thru stuff like EIN number, bank account setup, Corporate forms makes them simple to understand, and easy to complete.
    • The things that come to you for free, even as a non-corporate level member are very useful, and no one can knock getting something for free. Again, these are not available anywhere else.

All around, for me, the best thing I ever did for my career was to have joined IPIU.

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

Re: Why I joined the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) and have a PI Agency Corporation License

Hello Barb,

It looks like you invested in the tools IPIU has to offer, and you have actually used them!

You are so right about other PI associations and schools. Someone recently said the IPIU support site has over a half-million interactive discussion comments with over 46,000 members.

Congratulations.

Michael
    Michael Newman
    Licensed Private Investigator

Kim Collins - is offline Lifetime Corporation Member

* Certified SPI
    Corporate Agency Member of:

Re: Why I joined the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) and have a PI Agency Corporation License

Hi Michael
    I want you to know that that is an awesome story in your thread about your progressing career. It may have been years ago and over a decade or so but so far the IPIU seems to be rolling still the same with years to come. I have never felt so confidant in something I had no knowledge of before hand. But after reading these forums and completing my first in field training. I cannot wait to one day be there as well. If I did not have a commercial federal govt business already I would directly take the jump on pi corporation right now.

Chaquetta Kane is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Barb, what a great story and I wish you continued success. I recently joined IPIU and every shared story that I read just reaffirms my decision. Every thread, story or answer to a problem has helped me a lot. I just look forward to what the future holds for me..

Thanks for sharing,
    Chaquetta