Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Private Investigator Course

Re: Requirements: Private Investigator Trainees

What are requirements to work in New Jersey?

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Tyler View Post
    What are requirements to work in New Jersey?
    Glad you asked.

Check out the Licensing laws forum. There you'll find the laws for all 50 states.
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

Brian Cannon-- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hi

I am here in FL and I would like to know the necessary steps it would take to become a fully licensed PI. Please let me know any thoughts and suggestions you have on this topic. I do know I would need to intern with someone and I am ready to go to work ASAP as well.

Thanks

Brian

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cannon View Post
    Hi

I am here in FL and I would like to know the necessary steps it would take to become a fully licensed PI. Please let me know any thoughts and suggestions you have on this topic. I do know I would need to intern with someone and I am ready to go to work ASAP as well.

Thanks

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by William Brassfield View Post
    Glad you asked.

Check out the Licensing laws forum. There you'll find the laws for all 50 states.
    best of luck to you.

I have just completed the fingerprinting and I will be mailing it in ti IPIU very soon. But it also asks for a photo for the id? Do we have to send in the photo now? or can we hold off until a bit later?

Edward Dixon is offline *** Certified

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hyunjin, to receive your photo credentials from IPIU you will need to submit your photo's. Re-read all the information in your packet and submit all that's on your list.
    Edward Dixon
    IPIU MEMBER

Badge # 11584
    www.edward.dixon.pi-agency.us

Karen O'Toole is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:

I am from Nebraska. After receiving all the information, passing the tests through the union, getting my badge I found out I have to have 3,000 hours of on the training before I can even apply for a license in this state. I'm frustrated as I cannot find any agency in Omaha or law office that will do training. Can you give me and anyone else in the this state advise as to how we can get this mandetory 3,000 hours. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. At this time my frustrations are beyond frustation. I feel I have thrown my money away to get all that I thought I would need. NE I have to be licensed to practice. Thank you. Karen badge#11571

Anyone know the fax # to fax our tests

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Adams View Post
    Anyone know the fax # to fax our tests
    Hello Michelle ~ This question would be better asked in your introduction thread. The fax & phone numbers, email addresses, etc, are all located here> http://www.ipiu.org/contact.php I hope this helps.

Smile Re: Requirements: Private Investigator Trainees

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Rulla View Post
    I am from Nebraska. After receiving all the information, passing the tests through the union, getting my badge I found out I have to have 3,000 hours of on the training before I can even apply for a license in this state. I'm frustrated as I cannot find any agency in Omaha or law office that will do training. Can you give me and anyone else in the this state advise as to how we can get this mandetory 3,000 hours. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. At this time my frustrations are beyond frustation. I feel I have thrown my money away to get all that I thought I would need. NE I have to be licensed to practice. Thank you. Karen badge#11571
    Hello Karen.

Do not be discouraged. The same thing happened to me in NYS, where I need 3 years experience to get my license. Since the only way to get those hours is working, you might apply for an entry level position at any agency in your state. Some of those agencies are willing to hire unexperienced investigators. Any previous experience you might have, will be good for the job (any), so take that into consideration when applying for jobs. Find all the agencies in your area and send them your CV and a letter explaining your goals and your interest about this field. They know you need experience to get your license. I am sure someone will hire you.
    I did the same thing and I've already got to go to a few interviews and I will probably be hired soon.
    The fact that I became member of the Union helped me a lot (and I haven't even received my credentials yet!). Most of those agencies have heard about IPIU and their reputation, so I don't think you have thrown your money away. Actually, I think you are one more step closer to your goals.

Good luck.
    Daniel Villar

Hi Karen and welcome
    Don't get discouraged - In time all will work out for you.
    Ohio needs 4000 hours! It takes time to gain knowledge and experience to become the best of the best.

Don't give up!

Karen O'Toole is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:

Daniel and Michelle,
    Thank you for the encourgement. This is why I look over the different forums. I guess things aren't so bad in NE after all. I have just been looking for assistance through attorney's offices not even thinking of PI agencies. My big mistake. Thank you again.
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Rulla View Post
    Daniel and Michelle,
    Thank you for the encourgement. This is why I look over the different forums. I guess things aren't so bad in NE after all. I have just been looking for assistance through attorney's offices not even thinking of PI agencies. My big mistake. Thank you again.
    Karen
    Please, let us know how your career progresses. As I said before, being a member myself has already opened lots of doors for me. Never give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Van Bergen View Post
    I am in the process of exploring the forums and deciding whether or not I want to register in the trainee program.

Meantime, my daughter's fiance', who is a police officer in (and citizen of) Australia, is coming to the U.S. and is interested in the PI training. He is not a U.S. citizen. Can he do the training?

Some criticism: As a former adjunct university professor, journalist, book author, and law graduate, I am finding these forums very scattered and confusing. After weeks of exploring these topics, I still have no clear idea what the best route is for me to take. There are simply too many choices and no clear route to learning. As a professional, honestly, give me my choices on the home page: let me pick which route I want to pursue (with the option to backtrack or go back to the home to select another option) and go from there. The difficulty is not a matter of knowing how to navigate. I'd appreciate one place where my choices are all spelled out.
    She can actually become a PI after getting the proper training here at IPIU

Best wishes

Pedro

This forum started out to be clear, in that I knew what the forum is about and then suddenly it goes scattered all over the board... Am I the only one who finds this frustrating ? It seems to be this way in a few of the forums... Lets help each other out by being consistant !

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Szkolka View Post
    This forum started out to be clear, in that I knew what the forum is about and then suddenly it goes scattered all over the board... Am I the only one who finds this frustrating ? It seems to be this way in a few of the forums... Lets help each other out by being consistant !

Joseph, I have posted your concern in my moderator journal. Someone more seasoned then I am will answer you shortly.

Sometimes things get "off the wall" here. That happens. There are so few of us that it's hard for us to keep things clear. But your concern has been noted, and will be answered in as timely a manner as possible. Please...be patient. Thank you.

Johnny Ginsberg
    (Spare time Moderator)

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

Joseph Szkolka,

I understand your concern. Getting too far afield is always a problem with any kind of forum. I am in graduate school and our forums are very specific and only for one module (my program is one week per module, but the school of education has two weeks per module). This makes it easier to stay on track. Since the moderators are volunteers (with some of the more experienced ones on leave), it is often hard for them to 'herd cats' the way they would like to.

One thing that might help is for someone to go through the thread documenting questions and answers in a condensed form. Then a moderator or administrator could weed out the non-conforming posts and put them somewhere else (I have seen this done a few times here in the IPIU forums as I may have been one of the offenders).

You might be a good candidate for this task as you have a vested interest in it. I am only a short way into my PhD program in Criminal Justice (a full-time program) and I do not have the time to do it.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Szkolka View Post
    Joe,

I've seen that you been a part of IPIU since March of this year but I've only seen you post in different areas of the forums 13 times. We've all been a bit lost at first, the more you post and browse the forums, the easier it will get for you. One part of investigations, is to do 'research' and browsing the forums would get you better at that

Yes, we grow bigger and badder by the New York minute and we don't want to 'get rid' of some of the older topics, i.e. post because they all help newcomers to succeed and get their questions answered. I hope this helped you a bit and gives you a new boost to keep going in the forums.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

To All:

Petra is correct. We all get lost in the IPIU forums at first (I still do sometimes). If I had done what Petra did--looking at Joe's count, I may have given a different answer.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Matthew Sage - is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Because I am former Law Enforcement and have all of my POST Certificates as well as all of my certificates from being on the Sheriffs SWAT Team and Gang Enforcement Deputy, can I obtain my credentials now from this organization?

Kathie Evans is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dixon View Post
    Hyunjin, to receive your photo credentials from IPIU you will need to submit your photo's. Re-read all the information in your packet and submit all that's on your list.
    Hello, I wanted to ask, I was a member in 2004, I was going to College, I did have my Badge and paid my dues etc, done fingerprinting, photo and also a few Piracy Assignments.. Anyways..I am wanting to get started again, do I have to redo the fingerprinting or any tests? Or can I simply just renew and pay fee ta get my badge in which I lost it somwhere. Please help...Thanks!!

Kathie, when you have some time, please call 406-534-0251 and ask for Tim. He'll give you more info.

Thanks.

Johnny

P.S. Please call at 10-10:30 AM EST to Close of Business at about 7 PM EST. Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5