re: PI Licensing: New York

Well I disagree with much of this. If you work for an agency, you can NOT accept a case on your own behalf and work it legally. So if Joe Noone works for me (I am a license holder in NYS) he can not accept a case on his own behalf and work it. Now if I assign that case to him yes, but it has to be assigned and billed and supervised by the license holder.

It seems this forum is a place where people attempt to skew the truth and avoid the laws. You can not operate 99% of investigations in NYS without a license. Many of the investigations people are asking about are LEGAL Investigations where they can bill clients, accept clients and solicit clients. If you wish to do that, be like everyone else and legally obtain your license.

Besides who wants to give this type of advice out which is legal advise, without being a practicing attorney, and accept the liability that comes with giving out advise. I think you people are insane for answering questions outside of directing them to the New York State Department of State Division of Licensing.