Thread: Self Protection with Concealed Gun - Illinois?

Frank Murphy is offline Corporate Agency Owner
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Self Protection with Concealed Gun - Illinois?

Can a Case Examiner legally carry a gun for self protection? I am in Illinois and having a hard time getting a straight answer on various web sites.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Re: Self Protection

If your state requires you to obtain a license to carry, or a license to carry a concealed weapon as a normal citizen, you'll need to obtain said license.

Identifying yourself as a private investigator case examiner to obtain the license may create more issues if you are not intimately educated in the laws regarding the title, authorities and limitations of the title and legal abilities of the title.

If you have spent more time researching your ability to carry a weapon, than researching the laws, abilities and limitations of your title, I would strongly suggest a change in studies from weapons to your title.

I make no incinuations to your knowledge or understanding of your position. Knowing about issues you might face, before you're faced with them will save you some enormous headaches and potential legal/criminal actions.

The short answer to your question is; If you are not a fell on and have a satisfactory clean criminal history, you should not have much of a problem getting a license to carry a weapon.

If you tell the license authorities you will be serving process, you may be denied a license to carry because they prefer not to have fire arms involved in those situations.

If you tell the licensing authorities you will be working private investigations, in any capacity, they will likely ask to see your PI license.

If, however, you seek a license to carry for some personal safety reason, you'll be better off. Then, look into what areas of your profession allow you to carry and what areas do not. If you are working a particular assignment which does not allow you to carry, put it in your glove box.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Murphy View Post
    Can a Case Examiner legally carry a gun for self protection?
    Yes. (Source link)

There is now limited concealed carry in Illinois if you have a valid Firearm Owners ID Card (FOID). This is because Illinois is the only state that has a No-Issue statute, meaning they do not offer a "license to carry a weapon". But the FOID is simply an owners card, and allows exceptions for the carry.

Here are some links to study:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

http://www.concealcarry.org/illinois-carry/

In the above link, read all of the topics on the page, which includes exceptions to the required license regulations and how lawfully carry a weapon for personal safety.

Here is a news article:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...trol-activists

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanderson View Post
    The short answer to your question is; If you are not a fell on and have a satisfactory clean criminal history, you should not have much of a problem getting a license to carry a weapon.
    Sorry, John, I can't find any Illinois license to carry. But the requirement to get an owners card (which is not a license) does require a background check. See link above.
    Michael Newman
    Licensed Private Investigator

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Newman View Post
    Sorry, John, I can't find any Illinois license to carry. But the requirement to get an owners card (which is not a license) does require a background check. See link above.
    Thanks for the sources and information.