Thread: $25 per Year for MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE!

$25 per Year for MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE!

UPDATED 9-21-2012

If you are interested in purchasing a VONAGE line, then go to the following link and choose the item titled "Order a DISCOUNTED VONAGE phone line with FREE MONTH" to receive a free email with special coupon:
    Click here: www.ipiu.org/forums/sendmessage.php

Picture of an inexpensive portable phone that is plugged into a phone jack (either MagicJack or Vonage)If you order the MagicJack "Phone Jack" through IPIU, it will be mailed to you so that all you have to do is plug the phone jack into one of your USB ports on a computer.

Regular Phone Jack
    (Your home phone wire plugs into the phone jack for dial tone)

VERSUS

Magic Jack "Phone Jack"
    (Your home phone wire plugs into the phone jack of the Magic Jack for dial tone)

Then you plug the Magic Jack into your computer for dial tone.

Just like a regular phone jack which is traditionally installed by the phone company in your wall, the MagicJack phone jack looks the same. All you do is plug your home phone cable into the phone jack to get a dial tone.

When someone calls the number assigned to the MagicJack, the phone that is plugged into the MagicJack phone jack rings.

Magicjack is not a forwarded telephone line. It IS a phone line (jack) that is assigned a number in Denver, but because the phone is plugged into your computer, then it will ring anywhere your computer is physically located.

Vonage works the same way. Vonage includes a phone jack that is built into a small box which can be plugged into your internet cable connection. You simply plug your phone cable from the phone into the phone jack located in the Vonage Jack.

If i also order a toll free number for my business, then I'd pay monthly for a toll free number on top of the Magic Jack phone line (in essence, both numbers would ring to the same line).
    That is correct.

As an example, IPIU has a toll free number that is forwarded to 406-534-0251. If a member calls the toll free number, then it starts to ring on 406-534-0251. Or, if the member has free long distance, then they may choose to call IPIU directly at 406-534-0251, which saves IPIU the cost of 5 cents a minute.

But the number IPIU has (406-534-0251) can be either a Magic Jack phone jack or a Vonage Phone Jack. It does not make that much difference. IPIU uses a standard inexpensive portable phone (like the picture at the top of this topic), that plugs into a phone jack that is supplied by either Magic Jack or Vonage.

The Magic Jack would go in my home office and anyone who calls the area code number of the toll free number would then forward to my home office line.
    The toll free number would be "forwarded" to your assigned Magic Jack area code number. However, the Magic Jack number is not "forwarded". The line actually rings wherever the phone jack is physically located (namely plugged into your computer wherever your computer is located at the time.

The terms the phone company uses are:
    • forward to (same as point to)
    • rings to (actually rings on the phone jack that your phone is plugged into)

With Vonage or PhonePower, I'm told I can just pick an area code number through them. Then I can add the toll free number (for the same monthly cost as through IPIU) and anyone who calls the number of toll free will go to my home office line. Is this compatible with IPIU and any legalities I have to abide by?
    Vonage is going to cost from $240 to $336 each year for one (1) phone line, versus as low as $25 per year for each year of renewal of one MagicJack Line. However, you can get a free coupon for Vonage by emailing us at www.ipiu.org/forums/sendmessage.php

I suggest you try out a MagicJack before you invest an average of $300 a year for Vonage (which is typically not as portable to take with you as a MagicJack).

I would also suggest you get your toll free number through IPIU. They can provide you with a free setup and assignment of the toll free number, and then bill you $5 per month plus whatever 5 cent per minute your clients may use. Remember to ALWAYS advertise your Magic Jack area code and number first, and then your toll free number as a second line. Most people (not all) have free long distance.

I wasn't sure if the area code and phone number actually had to be hooked up in the area code office or not.
    In the 1980's, that would be correct. These days, IPIU will simply list the area code number on your future web site and business cards.

Vonage told me no one has to be there to hook it up, so it seems to be that what Vonage and Phone Power offer isn't a "forwarder" line but more of a "cover" line that says you are calling one number when you are really calling another.
    Not so. A Magic Jack number IS the phone number and IS the magic jack. It is not a cover line. A toll free number can be considered a cover line, because a toll free number does not come with a phone jack to get dial tone.

If you have IPIU completely set up your Magicjack, then they do all of the work and will mail you the phone jack. Once it is plugged into your computer, within a few minutes you will have dial tone to your number.

Vonage and Phone Power seem to offer a lot of services and even though there is a monthly payment, it's not huge.
    Yes, they do have a lot of features.

Update for January 2012: Magicjacks add-on applications now provide both call hunt and simulring. We provide support for these when a member purchases the MagicJack from IPIU. This feature would allow both your Magicjack to ring, as well as start ringing your unlisted cell number. Another application would allow your Magicjack to ring 1-4 rings, and then transfer the caller to another phone, such as your cell.

IPIU uses BOTH magicjacks and vonage lines. But when you are first starting out with a new business, we suggest you invest in a $25 per year phone service which comes with free voice mail, free call forwarding, free long distance, free caller ID, and free portability versus extra features that are subject to a lot of monthly taxes and $300 per year.

That is not to say that in a year or so when your business is thriving, you could upgrade to a full Vonage system, and then keep your MagicJack for "one the road" use, and call forward your MagicJack to your Vonage system.

Here is a video on MagicJack forwarding:

In addition, the more I research Magic Jack- the more I find out what you mentioned above- that people have problems with it in certain areas (not just those using it either but also people calling in on it which would be my customers!).
    That is true for some customers who live in a low-quality internet connection area. MagicJack requires a broadband internet connection (not dial up). Although a MagicJack can work in a hotel wireless, the wireless speed is usually slower than a wired speed.

And think about this: If a customer calls you from their cell phone, and their cell phone has a poor connection, then it does not matter if your magicjack has a good connection. I have asked people to call me back when they have a better cell connection.

And, if a customer calls you from their regular office line and your magicjack is plugged into your computer which is sitting inside your hotel room using the hotel's wireless connection, then the call may not be as good.

Here is a web speed link to click on to check your current web speed:
    http://spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/

I've also stumbled across reviews on Magic Jack stating they sell your phone numbers to advertisers, telemarketers, third party companies etc.
    Utterly false. A multi-billion dollar company is not going to throw away their entire reputation by selling your unlisted phone number to advertisers for a few dimes. I have answered both vonage and magicjack, and I have never had an unsolicited caller call the number.

On the other hand, there are internet web crawler software programs that scour the billions of web sites capturing phone numbers. But to get a call from one of these is very, very rare.

There is also robo-calling, where computers call every number is numerical order with recorded messages, especially if you happen to live in a state where an election is going on.

I suggest you call your union rep at 406-534-0251 and judge for yourself how the phone quality is.

As always, IPIU is here to serve your progress and provide you with support.

Patricia

Patricia Monroe

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 800-548-1526

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

DEADLINE before Jan 20th for $14 per Year MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE

Some of our members have noticed that MagicJack Phone Rates are GOING UP on January 20th by 33%!

If you have a Magic Jack now, lock in your 5 year rate at $69.99 (which averages $14 per year for phone service, with free long distance, free caller ID, free voice mail, and lots of other great features.

If you do NOT have a Magic Jack, you can purchase one from IPIU at the following link:

http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...oducts_id=1636

• $20.04 for the Standard MagicJack Phone Device
    • $19.95 for discounted first year phone service
    • $10.00 for Setup of email, password, guaranteed dedicated area code and phone number, insurance, packaging, and handling.

TOTAL : $49.99

Do you own a business out of state? If so, we can obtain your out-of-state area code and number for you, which will permit callers to dial your office number - and it will ring wherever you have your MagicJack Phone device plugged in.

This is an excellent item for those who have a Colorado PI Agency Corporate License through the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU). Where else can you have a business phone service line, with ALL of the features of free long distance, caller iD, Voice Mail, for as low as $14 per year!

Questions? Either post them here or call the IPIU office at 406-534-0251

Donna

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST

Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Re: DEADLINE before Jan 20th for $14 per Year MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE

Ive been pretty satisfied with magicjack and Ive had mine for the past 3 years when it first came out. Its saved me a lot when I had my computer business.

Re: Toll Free Number

I'm weighing costs of Magic Jack as well. Not in comparison to Vonage- I've done that already. Comparing setting it up on my own vs having IPIU set it all up. How much would it cost for me to have IPIU do it?

• $20.04 for the MagicJack Phone Device
    • $19.95 for discounted first year phone service
    • $9.50 for insurance, packaging, handling, shipping, and tracking.
    • $39.99 for Setup of email, password, guaranteed dedicated area code and phone number, published on web page, testing.

TOTAL DELIVERED: $89.48

I currently have a phone line in my house- with my home area code- will this be needed for my business phone or not?
    No. You would plug your Magic Jack Phone Line into your computer. Then you would plug a standard phone into the Magic Jack to receive and make calls.

Patricia Monroe

START WITH TRUST

BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 800-548-1526

Danielle Bosley is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: $14 per Year for MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE!

Hi all! Could someone explain to me why the USB magic jack seems more preferable than the old wall model? To me, it seems like it would be more "in the way" connected to my laptop all day (in the only usb of the two that works!). If the magic jack has forwarding capabilities, then wouldn't just leaving it in the wall suffice and keep it out of the way?

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    Hi all! Could someone explain to me why the USB magic jack seems more preferable than the wall model?

To me, it seems like it would be more "in the way" connected to my laptop all day (in the only usb of the two that works!). If the magic jack has forwarding capabilities, then wouldn't just leaving it in the wall suffice and keep it out of the way?
    The USB version allows you to take it (and your phone) anywhere you go, including hotel rooms. If you get the wall version, then it has to rely on a separate connection that is not tied to your laptop. Plus, the wall version is more expensive.

Does the computer have to be on for the USB version to work? I was under the impression both versions allowed you to forward calls to any number you wish at any time. So, I thought if I had to leave or go out of town, I could login and set it up so that all calls forward to my cell even thought the wall mount version would stay behind plugged in at my house. Does anyone know if this is incorrect? Hope I'm posting in the right place

Sponsored by:

Does the computer have to be on for the USB version to work?
    The computer only has to be on if you wish to make calls or if you wish to answer the phone. If the computer is turned off, the call forwarding and the voice mail still work.

I was under the impression both versions allowed you to forward calls to any number you wish at any time.
    That is correct.

So, I thought if I had to leave or go out of town, I could login and set it up so that all calls forward to my cell even though the wall mount version would stay behind plugged in at my house.
    Yes, you can do that with either MagicJack version. We have some members who permanently leave their Magic-jack turned off, and just answer their cell phone.

One problem is . . . if you intend to call back anyone who left a voice mail message, then your caller ID on your cell phone will show up when you call. But if you have the portable Magic-Jack that plugs into a laptop, then you can make a call from the hotel with the Denver phone number showing up.

Hope I'm posting in the right place
    Yes!

Ok. I am not sure if IPIU or others here are aware, but Magic Jack Plus doesn't only let you plug into a wall. It lets you use it in the wall or in the USB. So both are options. I am thinking MJ Plus may be best for me since I travel around a good bit and take my laptop with me- sometimes actually having no place to put it but on my lap (which can sometimes be troubling with a USB sticking out of the side you must be careful of). Does IPIU have anything in place to order MJ PLUS or do I need to go thru elsewhere? I've found an option to purchase MJ Plus with one years subscription on Amazon for just over $70.

Does IPIU have anything in place to order MJ PLUS or do I need to go thru elsewhere? I've found an option to purchase MJ Plus with one years subscription on Amazon for just over $70.
    IPIU will be providing the MagicJackPlus for less than $70, but right now they do not have any on stock. They have two of the standard MagicJack's left for $49.99. If you want the MagicJack Plus, you may wish to call Radio Shack and Best Buy, who sell them. Because these do not come already set up, you have to be very careful when picking and choosing the options as your go through the set up. Make sure you get a 303 area code.

Or, for the $49 version, go here:
    http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...4564286274440b

Ok. I am going to order my Magic Jack plus today. Is there any other advice you can give me about setup other than making sure I get the 303 area code? (on another note, I thought someone on here told me before that the 303 area codes were running out and there was another area code to use now if there are no 303's left?) Thanks all!

Ok. I am going to order my Magic Jack plus today. Is there any other advice you can give me about setup other than making sure I get the 303 area code? (on another note, I thought someone on here told me before that the 303 area codes were running out and there was another area code to use now if there are no 303's left?) Thanks all!
    During set up, decline all additional offers, and look deeply for the 303 area code even though it may not say it is Denver.

Ok guys! Thanks so much!

Hmmm so my phone line works for outgoing calls and when anyone tries to directly dial my magic jack CO number, it won't go through?

Sponsored by:

Hmmm so my phone line works for outgoing calls and when anyone tries to directly dial my magic jack CO number, it won't go through?
    Magicjack has LIVE Support here:
    http://magicjack.com/customercare.asp
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST

Thanks David!

Phillip Flores - is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

I love MagicJack and MagicTalk. I have them both for about three years now.

Free phone number from any smart phone. https://www.google.com/voice Just download google voice on your Android, iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Flores View Post
    Free phone number from any smart phone. https://www.google.com/voice Just download google voice on your Android, iPhone.
    No monthly fees. Never pay a phone bill again, as long as you have a Data plan or connected to a Hotspot you'll be able to use Google Voice to make free calls. With Google Voice it will display the number that you choose. incoming and outgoing calls work just fine. FOR FREE

No monthly fees. Never pay a phone bill again, as long as you have a Data plan or connected to a Hotspot you'll be able to use Google Voice to make free calls. With Google Voice it will display the number that you choose. incoming and outgoing calls work just fine. FOR FREE
    I have different numbers for various states I conduct business in, for this I enjoy the freedom of Google Voice. I also use and recommend Magic Jack, This I use for my fax number

Phone System from $799 www.FortiVoice.com
    All the features of a big system designed just for small business

The popular Internet phone gadget, magicJack is set to launch magicTalk, a new service which allows you to make free calls from your computers, smart phones and iPads to landline and cellphones in the US and Canada, with no time limits on the calls, and users would only get charged if they try to make a call while outside the U.S. and Canada

magicJack is known for its USB based VOIP hardware. Unlike magicJack, magicTalk software will be purely software based service which works on Windows and Mac operating systems and will be available next week. There will also be versions for smart phones and tablets including Android, BlackBerry, iPhone and iPad etc, which will likely be out sometime in September or October.

Though users cannot make free international calls, Magic Talk can still be considered revolutionary and next generation technology since they do not have any restriction to call any phone within US & Canada. MagicTalk would stand apart from competitors like Skype, which charges users to make calls to phone numbers, and Google Voice, which requires users to make calls from their own phones.

Each magicTalk user gets a phone number associated with the software and can even choose to port over any existing numbers to magicTalk at a cost. Although magicTalk calls won’t be limited in duration, the company has specified it’s not intended for nonstop calls around the clock.

Shannon McGeorge is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Is this only for Denver or is that the number that would be the toll free number for us when we get to that level?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon McGeorge View Post
    Is this only for Denver or is that the number that would be the toll free number for us when we get to that level?
    Magic Jack does not support toll free numbers at this time.

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon McGeorge View Post
    ANSWER 1:
    We suggest you obtain a Magicjack Phone Device that will be located in your home. We would assign an area code 303 Denver line to the Magicjack Device, so that when someone calls your Denver phone number - the telephone in your home that is plugged into the Magicjack will ring. When you pick up the Magicjack phone in your home, the dial tone you get is a Denver phone number - so that anyone you call will see the Caller ID comping from Denver and not your home.

ANSWER 2:

Once your Magicjack 303 line is working, then we can order you a toll free number (like an 800 number) and have it pointed to ring on your Magicjack 303 line, so that all calls will come into the same phone.

ANSWER 3:
    The regular standard Magicjack we sell for 64.99 includes complete setup, telephone assignment, password account, and delivery.

The newer magicjack we have is an extra $20.00, and does not need a computer to plug into. Details are at the following link:

Magic Jack does not support toll free numbers at this time.
    IPIU can arrange to have a toll free number ring to a magicjack. Also, you can use your magicjack to call 800 numbers.
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST

Jeffrey Barbieri - is offline ***
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Re: DEADLINE before Jan 20th for $14 per Year MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE

The links to order Magic Jack no longer work as I'm trying to show a potential buyer. I ordered mine through IPIU and am completely satisfied.
    Jeffrey Barbieri
    CFE \ CHFI \ CCII
    Badge# 1031
    JDB Investigations Corp
    www.JdBInvestigations.com
    jdb.agency@pi-agency.us

Paul Abernathy is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Re: $25 per Year for MAGIC JACK PHONE SERVICE!

I love my Magic Jack Plus....been using it for over 2 years and simply can't figure why anyone would even consider Vonage.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator

DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Abernathy View Post
    I love my Magic Jack Plus....been using it for over 2 years and simply can't figure why anyone would even consider Vonage.
    IPIU uses both at the office. Vonage is used because of the extra features of hunt groups (if one line is busy), call transfer to an outside line, and 24-hr live tech support versus the MagicJac Chat support.

For our Magicjacks, they work very good for a basic single business line with call waiting, caller ID, voice mail, and free forwarding to another cell or land line.

IPIU also sells Magic Jack phone line devices completely set up with a Colorado area code, with passcode and registration, for PI Agency Corporations, so that all a member has to do is plug it in for a dial tone and it is ready to go.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST

Dr William Harrison-- is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Although I have previously owned a "Magic Jack", I had allowed it to expire due to lack of use. I have the "Magic Jack Plus" and it is a wonderful piece of equipment. I have just re-instated mine with a Denver area code and exchange. Thumbs up for technology and if you do not have one yet, please allow IPIU to set one up for you.

William - - is offline (On Leave of Absence)

Lifetime Professional Management Member

Hi everyone - I two questions regarding MagicJack. 1) Is the MagicJack unit that is ordered directly from IPIU, a NagicJack PLUS? 2) By purchasing the MagicJack from IPIU: I would be able to forward the Denver number to my current 800 # in place. Would I also be able to use the MagicJack WITHOUT a landline phone but I do have a computer with high speed Wi-Fi? Basically, I don't want to use my personal cellphone to have business calls forwarded to and if I understand correctly, if I buy the MagicJack from IPIU with a Denver 303 #, I will be able to use that Denver # to point my 800 # too and if someone calls my 800 or Denver #, it will go directly to the MagicJack device?

I had more question - what is the need for a receptionist at the Denver office if MagicJack forwards incoming calls to you directly? I don't antics pet many calls for many months while forming the business but thought if someone answering the phone besides sounds intriguing :-) -Billy

Quote Originally Posted by William Kwilos View Post
    1) Is the MagicJack unit that is ordered directly from IPIU, a NagicJack PLUS?
    Yes

2) By purchasing the MagicJack from IPIU: I would be able to forward the Denver number to my current 800 # in place.
    We strongly recommend both the MagicJack 303 number, plus an 800 number as a secondary number for your clients. Having both represents what most professional companies offer, even though with free long distance for most people, they do not need to call an 800 number. If someone does call your 800 number, then call them back on your MagicJack.

Would I also be able to use the MagicJack WITHOUT a landline phone but I do have a computer with high speed Wi-Fi? Basically, I don't want to use my personal cellphone to have business calls forwarded to
    No land line is needed. All that is needed is a regular portable phone (see picture above in Post #1) that can be bought used for about $5). You plug the phone into the Magicjack for dial tone.

if I understand correctly, if I buy the MagicJack from IPIU with a Denver 303 #, I will be able to use that Denver # to point my 800 # too and if someone calls my 800 or Denver #, it will go directly to the MagicJack device?
    That is correct. Most Smart Phones have the ability to see what phone number your client is dialing, such as an 800 num or your cell phone. If you have the 800 num go to your cell phone and you can "see" that they are calling, you can offer to call them when you get back to your "office", and then use the Magic Jack.

what is the need for a receptionist at the Denver office if MagicJack forwards incoming calls to you directly?
    For those who have a corporation through IPIU and have no magicjack or 800 number, we offer a general phone number which is shared where messages are taken and forwarded to you. But it is not something to be heavily used. The cost of an 800 number is minimal, and a magicjack is only about $25 a YEAR in service fees.