Thread: Asset Protection Officer, Loss Prevention Agent, In-house Detective or Investigator

Asset Protection Officer, Loss Prevention Agent, In-house Detective or Investigator

• Asset Protection Officer
    • Loss Prevention Agent
    • In-house Detective or Investigator

"Employed to deter and detect theft in retail outlets and commercial businesses. The term "Store Detective" is no longer frequently used in the retail industry. More common terms today with major retailers are Loss Prevention Agent, Detective or Investigator and Asset Protection Officer or Investigator. Special Officer, once common, is now rarely used, as few jurisdictions still allow it.

" . . . (in-house) detectives may be self-employed on a contract basis but most are employees of the retailer (because of insurance protection), of a security firm with an outsourcing arrangement with the retailer, or of an agency with a similar agreement.

"The job may involve patrolling stores in the role of an ordinary shopper, watching for shoplifters. The detective follows any shopper behaving suspiciously, and keeps records of such observations.

"The key difference between a store detective and a security guard is that the former's role is covert. If they observe an individual stealing, they may prevent them from leaving the store until the merchandise is returned. Otherwise, they have no law-enforcement powers not available to private citizens and cannot search or arrest suspects (although they may place offenders under Citizen's arrest in jurisdictions which permit it).

"Most stores require their detectives to have stable work histories and no criminal record. Common backgrounds include the armed services, rescue services, and security.

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Store_detective
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Filipe Rodrigues is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Asset Protection Officer, Loss Prevention Agent, In-house Detective or Investigator

hello
    Yes it is a good post to perform and learn a good experience.
    filipe

Pete Cornejo -- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Re: Asset Protection Officer, Loss Prevention Agent, In-house Detective or Investigator

Businesses need protection from any losses that may occur. My family owns a small business and losses that may happen from theft from employees, or theft from consumers can be devastating to a business. These loss prevention agents are vital to the survival of businesses.

Bill Hastings is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member Of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) Corp/P mem

Having worked in the LOSS PREVENTION field I have held various titles. store detective, loss prevention agent, etc. no matter what your title is the important issues is that we are at the stores or businesses to protect the assets of the business, safety of premises, customers, and associates.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cornejo View Post
    Businesses need protection from any losses that may occur. My family owns a small business and losses that may happen from theft from employees, or theft from consumers can be devastating to a business. These loss prevention agents are vital to the survival of businesses.
    Pete,

Have you considered helping your family's business in a Loss Prevention position, to benefit them in preventing and realizing loss, and to benefit you in gaining experience? I can offer some guidance to creating the position and making it a success if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hastings View Post
    Having worked in the LOSS PREVENTION field I have held various titles. store detective, loss prevention agent, etc. no matter what your title is the important issues is that we are at the stores or businesses to protect the assets of the business, safety of premises, customers, and associates.
    Bill Hastings,

A name I don't see on the forums very often, but jump to read posts you author. It's good to see you again, sir.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Pete Cornejo -- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

I would like some guidance on the mr. Sanderson

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, I just made a typo. I meant to say, I would like guidance on creating a loss prevention program for my family business.
    Thank you,

Pete Cornejo

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cornejo View Post
    I would like guidance on creating a loss prevention program for my family business.
    Thank you,

Pete Cornejo
    Pete,

It appears you are still at level 3. In regard to establishing a loss prevention unit in your family business, I can guide you into doing so when you get to level 4. When do you think you can complete your exam and union licensing?