Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AOL? Why thousands are leaving AOL.

Re: AOL

Originally posted by Alfonso Pelote
    I gave up AOL about 4 years ago, because of problems that they kept saying was due to Mirosoft. After, switching to MSN I have not had any problems. I now have MSN 9, for dial-up. I tried to get DSL but you have to be close to a DSL networking area.
    Keep in mind that MSN is obviously going to be compatible with Microsoft because it is made by Microsoft. But I would agree (from what I've seen of AOL) that it would be difficult for it to be compatible with much else. When you sign up with them, they supply you with all you need for a reason.

RE: AOL

I've had AOL for many years and switched to satellite connection a couple years ago. I've had many issues with AOL through the years and thank goodness I was in the tech support field as I had to do all the fixing myself. I just received the new modem from Direcway and had more issues with it. I finally got all those solved and it works well now. The only thing that affects it adversly is freezing rain. I get about 600 down usually and did not order the up as I never hardly upload anything. When you bring your own access, AOL switches you to that price plan which is 14.95 a month. The SAT connection is 39.95. Here in my local area the DSL is 60.00 a month plus your phone bill. I may switch to it later on after their prices drop. If anyone needs assistance with AOL or broadband issues. Please let me know. I keep AOL as all my friends are on there. Everyone have a great day.
    Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Let the one you love choose their own path and it will always lead back to you.

Forgot to add

I'm using Win XP and AOL 9. They work well together after you get the bugs worked out. They have a tendency to scrap it out to begin with. If you need help breaking them up, just let me know.

Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Lets try this one more time>>

Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Question Re: RE: AOL

Hey there,

I finally found your post and am hoping you can help me get this aol dsl thing working with my outlook 2002, Office XP.

This isn't a constant problem, but it is getting to be one.

Attachments drop, emails don't go, error messages like:

....Sending and Receiving' reported error
    (0x800CCCof) :'The connection to the server was
    interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your
    server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

AOL knows there is a problem, but doesn't offer support
    for Outlook, I know there is a work around, but have no
    idea what it is. I am able to use XP to work around
    using their software (which they deny is possible
    hahahah), but the problem remains. I am planning on
    moving over to Bell South, but I afraid there still be a
    problem-and the move is going to cost me since I need to
    use a different line (new jack installed) to get the
    residential service (cheaper) dsl as oppose to my home office line. They will have good
    tech support I know, but I want to solve the problem now.
    I believe it has something to do with the random ips the
    dsls use for protection or what ever, but that is the
    only guess I have.

PLEASE HELP ME ....

Shannon

Originally posted by G. Jean Davis
    I've had AOL for many years and switched to satellite connection a couple years ago. I've had many issues with AOL through the years and thank goodness I was in the tech support field as I had to do all the fixing myself. I just received the new modem from Direcway and had more issues with it. I finally got all those solved and it works well now. The only thing that affects it adversly is freezing rain. I get about 600 down usually and did not order the up as I never hardly upload anything. When you bring your own access, AOL switches you to that price plan which is 14.95 a month. The SAT connection is 39.95. Here in my local area the DSL is 60.00 a month plus your phone bill. I may switch to it later on after their prices drop. If anyone needs assistance with AOL or broadband issues. Please let me know. I keep AOL as all my friends are on there. Everyone have a great day.

Smile Hi Shannon

Try this and let me know if it fixes for you. I have lots of problem solvers so I can help you.

Go to Start>Run>>> type in cmd and hit enter
    At command prompt type in ipconfig/release
    then type in ipconfig/renew

That will release and renew your ip settings.

Please do let me know if this helps.

Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Talking Love it!

I love your graphic! I need to find one for me!

Mary

Smile Thank you Mary

There are tons out there. I hope you find one that is just you.

Have a great evening.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Shannon,

I noticed that this was your first post in the IPIU forums. You need to go to the Introduction's Lounge to post information about yourself.

Once you have posted there, the Moderators and other experienced members will know that you are loose in the forums. Then they can give you all the advice and guidance you will need to make the most of your time in the forums.

[size=huge]W-E-L-C-O-M-E to IPIU and the IPIU forums!!![/size] My personal advice is to read, read, read, and reread, then make some comments and read some more, and do not forget to have fun.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Great advice Michael

If it ain't broke>>>> don't fix it.

Originally posted by Michael Whiteaker

Colleen, contrary to what some Information Systems people may want you to believe, computer technology is not rocket science. What works for one might not work for another.

This thread is only to advise you of what might happen, because of what others have experienced. It isn't intended to mean anything will happen.

The more advanced things are, more things can go wrong. Just because DSL and cable connections are faster and seem popular doesn't mean they will work for your needs. Faster isn't always better, when it is also more expensive. And, your particular area may not have good service in one of these choices.

I know of more than one person in my town who complain that DSL is full of problems. And, I'm very sure there are about the same number of people who love it. The same goes for cable. Sometimes, it seems it's just the luck of the draw. Unfortunately, I've had my cable ISP guys questioning their savvy, more than once.

If you are happy with your present situation, and not experiencing problems, stay with it. But, if something does happen, you have the info here to help you figure it out.

And, there are more than a few "techie" PIs who can assist you, if you come up against one of those insurmountable technology walls.

Smile Hi guys and gals

Quote>>
    I was pretty locked into AOL, myself, with my wife an avid user. The service was marginal, with me being knocked off "too often". The opportunity for hi-speed internet through local RoadRunner offered me the potential to increase speed, stop being dropped, and have better all around service. I was even one of the beta test sites in my area.

If your inclined to keep AOL and do not want to be knocked off frequently>> go to www.tpasoft.com and download the Terminator. It will stop AOL from knocking you off. It really works well. I've had it for years and never got knocked off again after intalling it.

Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Smile Re: My two cents

Originally posted by Mr. Craig Pifer
    Just thought I would comment on what I have working here at home.

I use Direcway from DirecTV for my internet. It is a two way satellite system, and I enjoy it very much. I am one of those people that live in a small town where DSL and Cable Modems are not available. The intial cost of the equipment was a good chunck of change, but after you make it through that your monthly bill is just about the same as DSL or Cable Modem, I pay $59.99 a month.
    I also have a second PC here at home that I have hooked up to a network, and it also connects to the internet through the satellite. They both work real well when two people are on them surfing at the same time. The only downfall is that some online games do not work because of the Latency factor involving the satellite.

MY OS on my main PC is Windows XP, and the OS on the Second PC ins Win 98. The only problem that I have had since I upgraded to XP is very once in awhile my PC will all of the sudden start dumping physical memory. I still have not been able to figure that one out yet. It will dump the physical memory, then restart itself like nothing ever happened. I upgraded my memory to 256mb (I had 128mb) because I thought that was the problem but it still does it every once in a while.
    David Byers
    Lakewood,
    Western Washington

Smile "...all of a suddenstarts dumping physical memory."

It is possible a program "Clean Ram" free download at Infonews. This might fix that problem, Craig.
    David Byers
    David Byers
    Lakewood,
    Western Washington

Re: Re: My two cents

Originally posted by David Byers
    David,
    The dump of physical mem is caused by drivers that are not signed by Microsoft. Try uninstalling whatever you have that said the driver was not signed. That will fix it. If you want to keep the program, try going to it's website and upgrading to xp driver. If nothing else, just put up with it. That is what I do cause one of my programs that is causing the driver problem I need.

Need anymore help, just let me know.
    Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Richard Maxwell is offline *** Certified

Licensed Private Investigative Agency
    Private Investigator Forums
    I had AOL many years ago when it was the only way to use the Internet outside Mozilla. The service model is so outdated I find it sad that so many people pay a premium price for a mediocre service.

I use EARTHLINK DSL and my XP Home platform has never given me a problem. The new dial-up accelerators are not as good as DSL but they definitely speed up a dil in connection.

IMHO, if you're using AOL and you can get around easily, then you're Tech Savvy enough to use a less expensive ISP.
    R.E. "MAX" MAXWELL (Badge# 10022)
    Licensed Private Investigative Agency (AL #1405)

Bay Acquisitions, Inc
    Spanish Fort, Alabama, USA

Cool Aol?

I have Netzero platinum(at $14.95), with accelerator, and am happy with it. their tech support is third party, but it is good.
    David Beyrs Aspirant. :-)
    David Byers
    Lakewood,
    Western Washington

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    thank you for the info.

You are quite welcome.

David Byers
    David Byers
    Lakewood,
    Western Washington

I have to say that I was a slow learner when it came to dumping AOL for a faster and more reliable connection. I switched from AOL to Netzero just 2 years ago. I found that you could have the Hi-speed NZ connection for $10 less than AOL. I was happy with that for a while. Now I have moved to an area that I can get DSL, and I am totally sold on it. I still use the free Netzero mail service, but I love the speed and reliability of the DSL connection.
    I also have a home network, with 2 desktops, and a laptop. Even with all the computers surfing simultaneously, the speed is much better than dial-up. My service is only costing me $34 a month, and I got the DSL modem free during a special they were having.

TC,

In my area, AOL is very reliable on dial-up; I did cancel after trying for many, many months. NetZero, on the other hand, sucks in my area. The dial-up numbers are the same ones I used for AOL.

I tried NetZero Hi-Speed and it was slower than the regular NetZero. I guess that it depends on where you live (or access the net). The only reason I have a dial-up is for my laptop when I travel on business.

I use cable at my home and office.

I use AOL at home, yet to use the forms, I have to jump over to Netscape. Not a major fan of AOL, yet I have tried Earthlink, and some how it freezes a lot on my computer.

I know if I was not able to come here due to AOL, they would lose my $ fast. At work I use DSL, and sometimes DSL has it moments..

John

John,

I will not bore you with my horror story about Earthlink, but I had to leave them because they do not work well in my part of New Jersey.

I kept the Netzero dial-up software installed on my laptop so that I would be able to connect when I am away from home, or if the DSL fails for some reason.
    I also have a cable and software so that if I am in my vehicle or otherwise away from a phone line, I can connect with my cellular phone. I have tested the connection through my cell and I was surprised at the speed. This is something that would be great for a surveillance job if you need to keep a client updated.

24. AOL, Earthlink, NetZero, DSL, Cable...they all have their problems. A lot of your connedtion speed will be decided by the area in which you live. In my part of the town in which I live, cable is lousy. DSL is great! But, in other parts of the same town, cable is good and DSL is bad.

Phone hardware has a lot to do with making DSL work. And, if you're close to the switch, that means you "should" have a good connection, most of the time. Cable working depends on how many of your close neighbors have it.

Dial up can also depend on the local access numbers in your city. Some can have noisy lines and modems don't like noise on the line. That can cause you're connection to stall, and even disconnect you in the middle of your browsing. Some ISPs have auto reconnect as a feature to get past that, but it still can be a hassle.

But, as for AOL, I think it's only worth it, if you enjoy it. And, this is only my opinion, but I think a lot of AOL users would enjoy another ISP, if they just had the option to try one for a while. A lot of people stick with what they know, too. They don't want to venture into something they aren't familliar with. I understand that, too. Nobody wants to get lost and have to constantly call someone for help. Independence rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whiteaker
    AOL, Earthlink, NetZero, DSL, Cable...they all have their problems. A lot of your connedtion speed will be decided by the area in which you live. In my part of the town in which I live, cable is lousy. DSL is great! But, in other parts of the same town, cable is good and DSL is bad.

Phone hardware has a lot to do with making DSL work. And, if you're close to the switch, that means you "should" have a good connection, most of the time. Cable working depends on how many of your close neighbors have it.

Dial up can also depend on the local access numbers in your city. Some can have noisy lines and modems don't like noise on the line. That can cause you're connection to stall, and even disconnect you in the middle of your browsing. Some ISPs have auto reconnect as a feature to get past that, but it still can be a hassle.

But, as for AOL, I think it's only worth it, if you enjoy it. And, this is only my opinion, but I think a lot of AOL users would enjoy another ISP, if they just had the option to try one for a while. A lot of people stick with what they know, too. They don't want to venture into something they aren't familliar with. I understand that, too. Nobody wants to get lost and have to constantly call someone for help. Independence rules!
    Michael,

I do not usually quote an entire post, but yours summarizes the issue so well.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Michael,

I do not usually quote an entire post, but yours summarizes the issue so well.
    Well, thaink you, for that. I know you agree that it's best to help people understand things as they are.

We aren't talking about toasters, here. A toaster will usually work the same where ever you put it, once given an electrical connection. From that point on, what counts is how well it toasts.

With an Internet ISP, it only starts with the electrical connection, and maybe you've heard how well one particular ISP "toasts" for a friend.

From that point on, it also involves an awful lot about the area where you live. Even how good the local tech support guy is, if you happen to need him.

It's good to see posters start off with phrases such as "in my area" and "my experience has been", because that's exactly the truth.

I use AOL Broadband with Windows XP and cable modem and have zero problems, in fact the pop-ups are all gone too!

Several years back my first internet experience on our home computer was with AOL. At first we thought it was great, but then other family members would come over and get in the chat rooms and and I begain to get emails from porn sites and lunatics. I couldnt figure out what was going on so I began looking for help. A friend of mine who is Computer specialist informed me that the chat rooms was where the porn link was coming from. Evertime an email was opened that had porn in it somehow advertised to the porn sites that here is another "prospective customer". So we tried to ditch AOL. It took about 4 months to finally get them to stop billing us. Also I am told that if you buy a computer from someone used there cookies history becomes your problem and that this could also be why you recieve the porn spam. I currently have a dial-up connection with bellsouth and havent had a porn problem with my emails but i do get slews of emails from people in other countries wonting to send me millions of dollars for them to invest in the USA. I even reported this to the FBI once for fear that I would be tied in to an investigation of money laundering or aiding terrorists. I am now thinking of changing my email service to get away from this. I dont claim to know the solutions but these are some of the problems I have had. All responses to this are welcome.

Question More info

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne D. Perry
    Just a note here...

I use dial up to AOL, and it can be slow, for sure, and the more graphics and streaming on the site you are URLing out to, the slower things get. But one of the reasons I prefer AOL is the email process is on THEIR computers (minimizing my exposure to worms, trojans, and other email nasties), and I don't have to depend on the highly virus-vulnerable Microsoft email softwares (Outlook, Outlook Express) to process my email.

Could you please ellaborate more on the vulnerability of these softwares?

Thanks, Danny joines

30. Quote Originally Posted by Danny Joines
    ... A friend of mine who is Computer specialist informed me that the chat rooms was where the porn link was coming from. Evertime an email was opened that had porn in it somehow advertised to the porn sites that here is another "prospective customer". So we tried to ditch AOL. It took about 4 months to finally get them to stop billing us. Also I am told that if you buy a computer from someone used there cookies history becomes your problem and that this could also be why you recieve the porn spam. I currently have a dial-up connection with bellsouth and havent had a porn problem with my emails but i do get slews of emails from people in other countries wonting to send me millions of dollars for them to invest in the USA. I even reported this to the FBI once for fear that I would be tied in to an investigation of money laundering or aiding terrorists. I am now thinking of changing my email service to get away from this. I dont claim to know the solutions but these are some of the problems I have had. All responses to this are welcome.
    The AOL chatrooms could have been sending you cookies and those cookies had "feelers" in them. Depending on the type of chat room someone goes into, you might get different emails in response. But, porn doesn't always work that way.

Porn spam is an equal infector, for the most part. You might get one email at fiirst, but if you open some of them, they have the ability to send back code that says you did. It's just like when a friend might send you a message and wants to be notified when you read their mail. It works the same way.

Don't open any spam, especially porn spam. If it's set up that way, you will only get more spam, because they know you're is an active email account.

Now, back to the AOL chatroom as being the reason these porn emails began? That's possible, I guess, but I thought AOL was trying to be more holesome than that. But, spam is just a marketing tool, and people are paid to allow it. Spammers pay for email accounts, and if you signed up for a chat room, you might have had your address stolen or sold.

If you buy a used computer that has Windows already installed, it is possible you can get the previous owner's spam, to a point. Their Internect cookies could still be there, and if they are, other temp files could be, too. But if they are savvy users, they should wipe the whole computer out and start with a new Windows install.

I would never sell a computer with information of that potential on there. It's not professional, and it's also not very smart, either.

I' ve never received emails from strangers asking for me to help them invest their money in the U.S., but I know that happens. They are all spams, and that's a sneeky one.

I do, however, receive emails from my bank and credit card company telling me things have changed and I should verify my account info with the link they've provided.

I don't think so! Actually, those are not m bank or credit card companies. They don't do business that way. If they were to need that information, they would send me a letter.

Those emails are fake, just to see if I will send my account information to them. You'd be suprised how many people do, without thinking.

They are very real looking, with the correct Icons and such, but the text is usually not something a bank or credit card company would say. The wording is like it has ben spoken by someone that has English as their second languarge, or it has been analized and translated that way.

Watch out for those spammers, folks. They are constantly changing their methods of attack to get you to fall for it.

Michael,

Your article was awesome!! Thank you for taking the time to share. I very much appreciated that information.

Cheryl

32. Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Gipfel
    Michael,

Your article was awesome!! Thank you for taking the time to share. I very much appreciated that information.

Cheryl
    You're very welcome, Cheryl. Upon reading it, just now, I really wish I had proofed it before posting. I guess I typed too quickly and actually left off some letters. That will teach me to be sure I proof and spell check next time.

And, with no "after the fact" editing possible, you sure better have all your letters in a row before you hit submit!

Michael.

I am with you on the "no after the fact" editing - you only see the mistakes after you hit submit!

Cheryl

I'm a long-time AOL user and so far I have no problems accessing the various forums. Should I experience any problems, I do have a Yahoo! e-mail adddress. I am near the end of my 2 year contract with AOL and looking to get DSL in keeping with the need for speed. I'm always open to new ideas and technology so any helpful suggestions is well received by me.

Kenneth L. Myers

I guess not many people know that if you have DSL with one company you can still use AOL (broadband / DSL) at the same time. AOL will offer you a deal to keep you as a customer. Since you are not using their dial up services, but connecting thru another carrier they will allow you to keep your AOL service for only $9.95 a month. So far I have had not problems connecting to this sight using the AOL with the DSL. Just wanted to let you know.
    Mary L. Hogge

Lightbulb Just a note about AOL

Just thought I might make mention a few things about AOL. I use XP as my operating system with no problems, I've had AOL for about 10 years now, yes the dial up has gotten pretty slow. I finally had to switch to a company with DSL. But I don't like it. I like the speed, I'm just not used to a different browser. I guess its all in what your used to. However, what you might not realize, AOL will allow you to keep your AOL service for only $9.95 a month since you are not accessing their dial up service. You are connecting thru the other DSL service. So far its working out really well and I've had no problems with it, nor with connecting to this site. I guess you can tell I like my AOL.

I would like to thank you all for the info. For now I will stay with what I have and hope for the best. And Pray that I don't get my computer Hijacked again. I tried to load one of those protection or detection softwares and I was so ignorant as to what I was supposed to do to set it up. I stopped because I didn't have a clue. I have a two of them downloaded on my computer, at least I did. I went somewhere and clicked on the most popular free ones. I did the download, tried to set it up and was stuck. I don't have the terms or tech. expertise. I know enough to be dangerous. that's about all.

At present I use I.E.(I believe it is 6.0), Cox Cable, not sure if it is DSL. I know I have to have a modum box or whatever it is to connect it. And mostly I use hotmail. I have a free Juno account that I reconnected on my dial up phone connection, but I don't use it much.

Recently, I came accross a Posted link suggesting I get a free AOL Email. When I did, I did the download OK, but when it tried to install it on my computer. It came back with an error about I.E. which before then, I wasn't having any problems. Then I went and downloaded the critical updates that they said were needed.

Since then, I have had one time where I got another error message about I.E. and that it had to shut down. Since then I have been using the Forums most of the day on I.E. without any problem. So who knows. You all have a good evening.

Just seeing a post with "AOL" in the title made my stomach turn. Of all the problems with AOL, getting rid of them is the worst. For those using AOL and happy with it, I hope it stays that way. For others who wish to cancel, start 2 or 3 years ahead of time trying to get rid of them. Maybe you will finally stop being billed some day.

I have to get out of here and adjust my attitude now. (Yes! My experience was that bad!)

I feel the need, the need for speed! Once you go Broadband, you never go back!

Cool Good For You!

Rob,

I wish I knew how broadband plays into the difference between Cable DSL and all the rest. I not only don't know much about any of it, I'm not sure about the details of what I do have. For all I know maybe Cable connection has broadband. Anyway I feel like I have enough speed, I just haven't figured out all the ins and outs of the technical language, so when it comes to protecting myself, I'm ignorant so to speek. Previously I posted all of what I have, not really sure if it is protecting me any though.
    You have a good night!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast