http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...TvMVwJjpNPEgQM
(Oct. 23) -- She doesn't know her name, where she is from or how she came to find herself in New York's Times Square.

Police say they picked up "Jane Doe," a teenage girl with a case of near-total amnesia, at Covenant House, a homeless shelter near New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal, on Oct. 9.

Since then, the girl has undergone tests from police and psychiatrists who are convinced that she is telling the truth, the New York Post reported Friday.

New York City police are asking for help in identifying teenage amnesia victim "Jane Doe" so that she can be reunited with her family.

"She is safe with us, and we are doing all we can to help her, but she needs to find her family," John Mattingly, commissioner for the Administration for Children's Services, told the Post.

The only thing the girl seems to be able to remember are a few passages from a best-selling fantasy novel titled "Fool's Fate."

Given a series of high school aptitude tests, she once wrote the name "Amber" atop one of the pages, the Post said. Still, she is uncertain if that is really her name or not.
"I just want to know who I am," the teen said, according to the Post. "I want to know who I am and what happened to me."

The girl is believed to be between the ages of 14 and 17. She is white, 5 feet 6 inches tall, of medium build, with spiky blond hair.

Anyone with information on the girl's identity should contact the New York Police Department's Missing Persons Squad at (212) 694-7781.
david.seifman@nypost.com