Thread: To all that venture into this field I would ask only one thing..be honest

Ralph Bongivonni is offline Private Investigator
    Licensed Corporate PI Agency Owner

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Arrow To all that venture into this field I would ask only one thing..be honest

For anyone that has had setbacks, I just want to let you know to stay with what makes you happy, and eventually, the tides can turn in your favor.

I have owned and operated my business since March 2002. There have been many, many months where I have had to use my own money to stay afloat because the business just wasn't there. I have other months that I only made as little as $8.00 after paying the bills. But the pride comes from those times that I find an extreme appreciation in making a difference in others lives knowing I have helped them.

To all that venture into this field I would ask only one thing..be honest. There have been many people I have encountered in this job field that are crooked and dishonest. To these people, making the money is the only priority and they do not care how they acquire it. I have also watched others attempt to do this job and fail due their lack of professionalism.

I have sustained and maintained being in this business because of one important thing..word of mouth. It doesn't matter the amount I have put into advertising, because my reputation spreads bigger and farther from referrrals. I will not try to pretend I am someone to give advice or instruct others on how to run a business, but the way I run my own shows incredible results.

When someone walks away feeling like you are a very trustworthy individual, passing along their story of doing business with you always follows. Make sure the story they pass along will make others want to seek you out.

I wish the very best for everyone.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Re: To all that venture into this field I would ask only one thing..be honest

Thank you, Ralph, for your testimonial.

David

PS: You may wish to also read the following new item:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33931

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Bongivonni View Post
    For anyone that has had setbacks, I just want to let you know to stay with what makes you happy, and eventually, the tides can turn in your favor.

I wish the very best for everyone.
    Hi Ralph ~

I've just got to say, this is one of the nicest, most sincere testimonials I have seen in a long, long time. It makes me want to get back out there, (and I haven't been "out there" for a couple of years.)

Thank you for your candor and for taking the time to let us know how you're doing and how you feel about it all.

Continuing success to you, now and always,

~ Lynne ~

Thank you Lynne. Maybe "getting back out there" could be a part-time thing. I'm sure you have enough aquaintances that would keep you busy.

David, I sent a request concerning attaching a banner to my website. Thank you.

Ian MacKersie is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2009 to 2010 Member of:

Ralph,
    I've been through many setbacks lately. I've lost 2 jobs in the last 2 months. Times are hard, but my wife fully supports me in anything I set my mind to. Right now I'm trying to learn what I can to help me when I get my membership. I'll be sure to watch out for sleuths.

Ian-
    Something that can help you is sponsorship. Find a company that is willing to give you experience in return for free aprenticeship. Work out an arrangement that will allow you to get your feet wet, in turn you are providing extra help at no cost. It won't take long and your new employer just may find how valuable you are and want to bring you on regularly.

Take things slow and a little at a time. You can't expect to work an eight hour day for free, no one can. Try to do a little on-site work for a couple of hours around other employment. I've been at this seven years now and this profession still doesn't pay all my bills. Treat it as a second job and your emotions won't get so worked up when you don't see hords of work coming in. Hope some of this helps you deal with your difficulties. I wish you all the best.

Ian MacKersie is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2009 to 2010 Member of:

Thanks. I got my membership last week. I found a Bailbonds company that's looking for an apprentice. I'll be applying for that today since I already have a little experience with what they want.

Christiaan Bekker-- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2009 to 2010 Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Bongivonni View Post
    I've been at this seven years now and this profession still doesn't pay all my bills.
    That was my actual concern... I want to make this my full time job! It seems to me that this won't be possible?!

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan Bekker View Post
    That was my actual concern... I want to make this my full time job! It seems to me that this won't be possible?!
    Oh, It is very possible. It just takes a little time. Check out the testimonials page
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

2009 to 2010 Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by William Brassfield View Post
    Oh, It is very possible. It just takes a little time. Check out the testimonials page
    Thanks for the heads-up William! For a minute I was very worried!

Kevin Urbanczyk-- is offline *** (E)
    PI Agency Corporation Owner

Professional Management Member:

Yeah, just like being an insurance salesman, or say a mortgage broker ..

it all comes down to 2 main things ..

1) Relationships - working your network to get more 'work', and one thing people tell you is that referral work is always the best way to build a real business clientele

2) Paitience!!! - $ doesn't grow on trees, ya gotta start off small and work hard at it. We all have bills to pay, so obviously, we wont see those big bucks coming in immediately. But like any skill, one needs to work CONSISTENTLY at it to make it work correctly and get better at it.

If you do this - over time, you will have more work than you know what to do with .. lol, and then it comes down to employees and giving work to friends who have helped you along the way.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

What you read is Ralph's personal experience. The truth of the matter is that out of 150,000 private investigators in the USA, 65% of them choose part-time for a variety of reasons. The remainder are full time and earn enough to pay their "bills".

Sometimes it takes money to earn more money. IPIU offers additional services to increase the earning potential of those just starting out - but it all starts with becoming a union member. Otherwise, the free-route will take time.

Union Membership plans are here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=67

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

2009 to 2010 Member of:

Thank you for the kind responses. Yes, Donna, I'll definitely join the union because it seems to me a quicker way to get into the network.

Kevin Urbanczyk-- is offline *** (E)
    PI Agency Corporation Owner

Professional Management Member:

"When someone walks away feeling like you are a very trustworthy individual, passing along their story of doing business with you always follows. Make sure the story they pass along will make others want to seek you out."

Very much agreed ..

referrals are gold!

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

If you can help just one victim, then it is worthwhile and not only will you feel better, but before you know it, that one has turned into 3 and them 10 and then, well you get the idea I'm sure. You have to start with 1.