Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Female Private Eyes sleuth past stereotypes

The following news story came to us from internet sources:

By Linda Florea

(MCT) A new private-investigation agency here is less like Sam Spade and more like the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Sandy Love and Kelly Hite are sleuthing around Central Florida, challenging the perception of P.I.s.

"People meet us and think it's the coolest thing," said Hite, 49. "People have a concept of what you should look like, but people meet us and think it's wonderful. We're just hard-working women."

Love, 45, has been a private investigator for almost 22 years and started her own business, Sandy Love Investigations, in 1995, when she had trouble finding work because she was a woman and did not have previous military or law-enforcement experience.

Hite owned a medical clinic for 18 years before selling it last January because she was disillusioned with the insurance red tape. She had known Love for about seven years. Central Florida PI was born last spring, with Love in the field and Hite handling administration while working on her two-year licensing internship.

Two other women also are working on their internships at the Windermere, Fla.-based company.

(Insiders say) . . . private investigation is a male-dominated field, because many private investigators are men with military or law-enforcement training in their past. About a third of licensed investigators are women, who tend to put subjects at ease, not on the defensive.

"I don't intimidate people," Love said. "I have a funny, crazy personality, and yes, I carry a gun."

Love said that in the beginning, she didn't worry about working alone, but now she works with a partner and will quickly back out of an uncomfortable situation.

"I've had my share of run-ins with bad people, but if you know how to handle your situation, you're OK," Love said. "I kind of go with my gut feeling."

Once, Love said, she approached someone she wanted to talk with in Apopka, Fla., on a murder case, and he pulled a gun on her because he was dealing drugs.

Hite said one reason she got into the business is to help keep others safe.

As a single woman, she went to dinner with a man she had met online. Though he seemed like a wonderful person, she had Love run a background check and found he had recently been released from prison.

"If I had not had a friend like Sandy, I would have seen this person more times," Hite said. "It really got me to thinking about women and men that don't check."

Love and Hite work cases involving everything from missing persons to child custody.

Some of Love's most challenging, time-consuming cases are homicides, in which she retraces the life of the accused. She gathers information about the subjects, including their prenatal care and childhood injuries, and interviews school and work associates.

"Every day, it's something different," Love said.

Source: http://www.JewishWorldReview.com

[This topic edited for clarity]

Mark Messare - is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Female Private Eyes sleuth past stereotypes

This is a great article Donna! Thanks for sharing with us all.

Mark.

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

I read about these women about one month ago in the Orlando Sentinel. This is not an easy line of work for females but like Law Enforcement opportunities are opening up. I've had female partners in NYPD and they can calm down a situation faster than a male. But when XXXX hits the fan you don't care who comes to help you as long as someone(male/female) does.

Carol S Schwab - is offline (E)
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Hi Donna,

I loved the article. It keeps my eye on the prize.

Theresa Cote is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:

[QUOTE=Donna Reagan;476611]The following news story came to us from internet sources:

By Linda Florea

(MCT) A new private-investigation agency here is less like Sam Spade and more like the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Sandy Love and Kelly Hite are sleuthing around Central Florida, challenging the perception of P.I.s.

"People meet us and think it's the coolest thing," said Hite, 49. "People have a concept of what you should look like, but people meet us and think it's wonderful. We're just hard-working women."

Love, 45, has been a private investigator for almost 22 years and started her own business, Sandy Love Investigations, in 1995, when she had trouble finding work because she was a woman and did not have previous military or law-enforcement experience.

Hite owned a medical clinic for 18 years before selling it last January because she was disillusioned with the insurance red tape. She had kno

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

It is articles like this that keeps putting my profession in it's perspective. Being a PI is a wonderful life and to me nothing else can compare to the benefits.

I always wanted to be the one to wear the kool hat and play hide and seek and listen to the conversations that were being said without anyone knowing I was actually paying attention.

Women can be great at this profession as they are more sensitive to the victims and will not try and re-victimize them, whereas a man makes a victim feel that she got what she deserved, even though he does not mean to make her feel this way.

A partner, no matter if it is a male or female must have total confidence in one another and know that they each are there for one another no matter what happens. There are times when a female will be able to draw important information from a witness or a perp sooner than a male. So to that end I say, Go Ladies!! (me too!!)