Thread: Good Samaritan Law under review!

Tammy M King is offline **
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Good Samaritan Law under review!

I just read this today and wanted to get others thoughts on the situation.

According to ABC News a woman was given the right to sue a person who was acting under the "Good Samaritan" Law.

The story goes that a few coworkers were riding together and was involved in an accident. A man pulled his female co-worker out from under the vehicle because he thought the vehicle was going to catch fire. As a result, the female was paralyzed.

Now the courts have given her the right to SUE him because he pulled her to safety! With the female stating, he should have left her where she was.

I was under the assumption that the Good Samaritan Law protected people like this man, who was only trying to do what he felt was a life-saving move in an extreme situation.

In my opinion, this is going to have a severe back-lash. Now instead of helping people without hesitation. They will stop and think "will I be sued" and in that split second it might already be to late!

Lynn E Payne is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Good Samaritan Law under review!

Personally I think if I were in an accident and needed help, I would rather be paralized and alive than die in a fire.

Stephen L. Keeling - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Sure make you stop and think won't it. And while your thinking the car could "Blow Up". But just like having a handgun permit, if you get involved in stopping a robber or mugger and the victim gets shot or hurt by the attacker, you run the risk of being sued. If you shoot the mugger and he gets paralyzed, he could sue you. To help or not to help, that is the question.

It is certainly a "double edged" sword. I mean there are so many people in the world that would stop and help someone in trouble without a second thought. Just instinct. But now, what is going to come of this? I personally feel this is a bad decision on the courts part. Next, people are going to be "sued" for not helping! Where does it end?

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Doctors can no longer stop at an accident and help without risk of a lawsuit, because the courts have deemed they are a licensed professional with insurance.

I think the California case will be appealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan View Post
    Doctors can no longer stop at an accident and help without risk of a lawsuit, because the courts have deemed they are a licensed professional with insurance.

I think the California case will be appealed.
    See thats what I am talking about. The Law was written to help in emergency situations. As a medical professional you are held to a higher standard because of the training you receive. As long as the person that stops to help does not perform services "outside" their training they use to be protected under the las also. As an RN/EMT. I have stopped at several accidents. But I have never performed any treatment that was "outside" my training. Now I must question this. I personally do not think I will change my ways. If a person needs help, I will help.

I hope you are right and they appeal this decision.