Thread: NO. CAROLINA: Bounty Hunter Law

Need Requirements for Bounty Hunters for N.C.

I need to know the requirements to be or to attain license(s) for a bounty hunter(s)/fugitive recovery agent(s) for the state of NORTH CAROLINA.
    South Eastern, North Carolina

Smile response to the question about North Carolina

A Bounty hunter has to work for a certified bonding company.You can only proceed with a certified copy of the bond in order to apprehend a fugitive.Also you cannot enter any third parties homes in order to apprehend your fugitive .This means be very carefull before making an entry.I myself own and run a bail recovery company here in upstate New-York called Central New-York Fugitive recovery services.If I can be of any help to any one please fell free to contact me.
    Last edited by Jack Campbell; 08-11-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Removed Email Address

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    South Eastern, North Carolina

Smile North Carolina

I hope that this information is usefull to you.Please fell free to ask any other questions if I can be of any help to you or anyone else.Thank you.

NORTH CAROLINA STATUTES:

Free lance bounty hunters banned.

The surety may take the principal into custody at any time or place or by written authority on a certified copy of the undertaking request any judicial officer to arrest the principal

(NCGS Ch 85C-7) ((Insurance) 58-71-25&30, 1-434) or by written authority on a certified copy of the undertaking empower any person over 21 to do so.

Bounty hunters can only work for one bonding company (NCGS 58-71-65)[1996]

Bondsmen and runners cannot enter the homes of third parties to apprehend a fugitive. (State v Mathis, 509 S.E.2nd 155 (N.C. 1998)) UCEA

+

INFO FOR BOUNTY HUNTER IN N.C.

North Carolina has banned "BOUNTY HUNTERS". You have to go through the NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, SPECIAL SERVICE DIVISION, then ask for the info for BAIL BOND LICENSE APPLICATION. Here is the number to call (919) 733-2200. You then must register for a Pre-licensing BAIL EDUCATION CLASS. Here is that number...(919)832-0867. They will answer any other questions you might have. I hope this will help! Scotty Starnes

Scotty,

Welcome to the board. We're glad to have you here.

As Cynthia posted, only free lance bounty hunters are banned. Bounty Hunters are okay as long as they work through a licensed bail bond agency.

Thanks for the NC information, cause i have just recently moved to North Carolina, and plan on opening another agency here that (hopefully) bail enforcement. I guess I could always lower it down to skip tracing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Starnes
    North Carolina has banned "BOUNTY HUNTERS". You have to go through the NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, SPECIAL SERVICE DIVISION, then ask for the info for BAIL BOND LICENSE APPLICATION. Here is the number to call (919) 733-2200. You then must register for a Pre-licensing BAIL EDUCATION CLASS. Here is that number...(919)832-0867. They will answer any other questions you might have. I hope this will help! Scotty Starnes
    These #'s should really come in handy, thanks Scotty Starnes!

Phillip Torrence is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Private Investigator Union Member
    Thanks for the information for Freedom my son. He needed to hear that!!!! By the he change his name to Freedom. It was well l let him tell you. Thanks

Steven J Taylor is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: NO. CAROLINA: Bounty Hunter Law

Just a quick update, the first phone number provided to the Dept of Insurance with NC is disconnected. No new phone number was provided, when I find it i'll try to update it.