Thread: Former P.I. becomes full-time actor after weight loss

Wardy Landrau - - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Former P.I. becomes full-time actor after weight loss

By JASON PARSLEY | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

October 1, 2008

One year ago Gene Jenney, 47, was a full-time private investigator when he decided to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming an actor. Today he is a part-time private eye, part-time certified fitness trainer and a full-time actor.

"I had lost a lot of weight and I changed my self image," he said about why he decided to pursue his dreams.

As he started losing weight three years ago he said he was told by people to try modeling and audition for commercials or films. So he did. He has appeared in two commercials, three independent films, a historical documentary, two infomercials and three television shows. And that's just within the last year alone.

His wife Agatha, is not surprised by her husband's recent successes. But she is surprised about how quickly those successes have come.

"He loves the camera; some people [get] nervous. It's a natural thing for him. It's like he's being doing this for years," she said.

In "Wild Sunflowers," Jenney's first independent film to be screened, he plays chief of staff to Congressman Ed Sutil. The story follows an Iraqi veteran who suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. It recently was screened at Silver Screen Cinema Cafe in Wellington.

"We had a terrific audience response," said Liz Vanino, co-owner of Silver Screen.

Jenney's transformation began three years ago when he attempted to get healthy and lose some weight.

"I did not like the way I looked; I was going up in pant sizes, I had shortness of breath and I just decided to do something about it," he said.

Now he is 80 pounds lighter, spends four hours a day in the gym, and, he said, he is in the best shape than he has ever been in.

"I feel better than I did when I was 17 years old. After my self-image changed I got all of these compliments and my confidence skyrocketed," he said. "I took acting lessons and had really good teachers. I went to agents and the rest is now what you see."

As for anyone who thinks they are too old to change their life or pursue their dreams Jenney had this to say: "You can be successful and make your dreams come true; it's
    never too late'

Jason Parsley can be reached at jeparsley@tribune.com

Wardy R Landrau

Re: Former P.I. becomes full-time actor after weight loss

Nice article Wardy. Thanks.
    I lost 70 lbs myself since my divorce a couple years ago but Hollywood hasn't called yet....