Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PI Licensing: Virginia

Hi, I'm from NY, I am in a small business start up program. I just sent for the info. that a PI needs to receive a Lic. in NY. From the Dept. of the State of the State! I am presently doing Mystery shops or integrity investigations. I realize that I do not need to be lic. in order to do that. I am now what is considered an independent contractor.
    I want to put a name to this Independant contractor business that I want to start up and register with NY.
    What my concern is now, (I havn't spoken to NY lawyers about this or gotten the info in the mail yet) is when or if I do work ie. backround checks for an independent co. that does not require me to have a lic. besides experience, would or does that go towards time that I can rack up under the requirements for a lic.?
    Thanks for any help you can give me in clarifying this.

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Waters Fisher
    Thanks, David.
    Marsha
    Hi Marsha,

I apologize IF I gave you the wrong information. I must be misunderstanding what you are asking.

Sorry

Have a great evening and Good Luck!

Lisa

No problem, Lisa. We all make mistakes! I am reviewing the manual this week. I am on crutches so I have lots of time to "study" and take the test.
    Marsha

Confused PI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Frye
    No. You wont need to take the IPIU exam. Email or fax a copy of your license to legal@ipiu.org. (fax# 775-429-1529)

Confused, confused, confused. I am a registered PI for Virginia having completed the 60 hours of training, but I have not completed the training necessary to become a licensed business. When I applyed for the position with Attorney Services I explained this but when I received my id and password for IPIU I noticed that I was referred to as a licensed PI. This is not correct. Also As I read and understand Virginia's law I cannot work for Attorney Services as a contractor, I have to be "employed". That is a significant difference. I have emailed them this same question and not received an answer. Can you help. Can I take on for example Anti Piracy assignments legally in Virginia with my current status. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Gielas
    I am a registered PI for Virginia having completed the 60 hours of training, but I have not completed the training necessary to become a licensed business. When I applyed for the position with Attorney Services I explained this but when I received my id and password for IPIU I noticed that I was referred to as a licensed PI. This is not correct.
    John,

That was probably a normal response from the firm to believe that an applicant stating he/she is a registered PI by the state would be a licensed PI. Most firms think they are the same, but Virginia appears to be the only state that issues a state ID number as a registered PI which is not a licensed PI.

In any event, your User Title and Signature have been corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gielas
    As I read and understand Virginia's law I cannot work for Attorney Services as a contractor, I have to be "employed".
    An employed person under a contractor agreement is still an employed person. The difference is primarily a tax issue. No state can dictate the employment agreement of any company. However, some states regard a 1099 filing as not viable for earning the applicant’s 2-3 year experience rating to become a licensed private investigator at a later date. They would much rather prefer that all experience was under the management and strict guidance of another private investigator. Nevertheless, even that restriction can be waived by the licensing board on a second hearing with adequate supporting evidence that the applicant is well qualified to become licensed through non-conforming work experience. (See appellant policy)

Attorney Services can employ you as an Auditor under the following statute:

8. Any natural person otherwise required to be registered pursuant to § 9.1-139 who is employed by a business that is not a private security services business for the performance of his duties for his employer. Any such employee, however, who carries a firearm and is in direct contact with the general public in the performance of his duties shall possess a valid registration with the Department as required by this article.
    Further, the following statute regards mystery shoppers, also known as Auditors, to be exempted when pursuing a report on their client's goods or services. The client in this case is the broadcaster, such as HBO or Showtime. If the auditor is simply reporting on the client's signal availability and the use of the client's broadcast signal by way of purchasing a cover charge or a door charge for the client's signal, then the resulting report goes to the client for follow-up. The client can then determine if their signal was licensed or not, or if there was a breach of honesty as the statute states:

9. Persons, sometimes known as "shoppers," employed to purchase goods or services solely for the purpose of determining or assessing the efficiency, loyalty, courtesy, or honesty of the employees of a business establishment.
    For the record, signal piracy auditors (non-licensed by Virginia) have been conducting these services since 1995. But to comply with Virginia's statutes, the auditor should not refer to themselves as a "private investigator" to insure compliance.

And last, there is no statute that precludes any company from hiring their own private investigators (without a PI license) to investigate the affairs, products, or services that they provide to the public. It is only if that same private investigator advertises to the public-at-large that they are a private investigator (which requires a PI license).

As for the firm not responding to your earlier email, there was a national holiday over the last several days, and I suspect they are getting caught up on their correspondence.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Thank you very much for your response and clearing up my confusion.

Hugh Brown Jr is offline Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    If you are a Compliance Agent then can I work as a PI with a License in VA?

Professional Member of:
    Is it true when they told me that some of IPIU Training can give me credit towards my PI License?

James Devino is offline Union Member - International Private Investigators Union

Special Agent
    Office of Inspector General
    U.S. Postal Service
    I am not in the private investigator field, rather I am a federal agent assigned to VA and joined IPIU for the networking and training opportunities in preparation for transitioning into the private sector upon my retirement from government service.

What I have picked up from reading the various threads is this:

1. You don't need a PI license from VA if you investigate work assigned to you by a member of the VA Bar (a lawyer).

2. The same applies if you work as an Insurance Investigator for an insurance company.

3. Finally, if you work as an investigator for a licensed PI who owns his/her own company, you don't need a license.

4. You do, however, require a license if you decide to contract investigative services to a client. In other words, if you hire yourself out as an investigator, you need a license.

5. You require a license if you own your own investigations company and hire other non-licensed investigators, or contract licensed investigators.

I know this probably requires a new threat; however, if as a federal agent I wanted to pick up part-time trainee work via this Union, how would I go about acquiring assignments?

Jim

Professional Member of:
    I would go through the 4 levels and take the test for IPIU.When you pass this you will be able to work assignments.In VA if you want to know more about how to get your PI license in VA then call DCJS and they can give you more information.Try to get as much extra training on Homeland Security and other topics that a PI will have to have.Move softly but strong takeing your time do not jump the gun.Try to find out as much as you can from people and network.

James Devino is offline Union Member - International Private Investigators Union

Special Agent
    Office of Inspector General
    U.S. Postal Service
    When you say the four levels; what are they, specifically. I have yet to hear that term, "four levels." I plan to take an Executive Protection course as a refresher; I was a State Department agent back in the late eighties and protected many visiting foregn dignitaries. Thanks Hugh.

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Hi James. We'd like to know more about you, so could you go to the "Forum Member's Introduction Lounge" forum and author an introduction thread about yourself, please. Also, the explanations of the levels are found in either the membership benefits or technical support forums. You could use the "search" function and find out where this specific thread is. Welcome to IPIU. Thanks for posting.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by James Devino
    What I have picked up from reading the various threads is this:

1. You don't need a PI license from VA if you investigate work assigned to you by a member of the VA Bar (a lawyer).

2. The same applies if you work as an Insurance Investigator for an insurance company.

3. Finally, if you work as an investigator for a licensed PI who owns his/her own company, you don't need a license.

4. You do, however, require a license if you decide to contract investigative services to a client. In other words, if you hire yourself out as an investigator, you need a license.

5. You require a license if you own your own investigations company and hire other non-licensed investigators, or contract licensed investigators.

I know this probably requires a new threat; however, if as a federal agent I wanted to pick up part-time trainee work via this Union, how would I go about acquiring assignments?

Jim

Jim, that is correct.

Most "basic" investigations do not require a PI License if you choose to work within the statutes as you described.

Your next step is to complete all of your IPIU paperwork that was mailed to you, which can lead to your Level 4 access where the assignments and other jobs are posted.

But also, once you obtain Level 4 access here, then I suggest you go to the Level 4 forum titled OBTAINING YOUR LICENSE and allow IPIU help you in qualifying for your PI License or agency license before retiring. With your background, there is much we can do for you.

When you are ready for the link, post your question in your Introduction Topiuc where the moderators can direct you.

All my best to you,

Robert
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Robert, thanks for clearing up several questions and concerns I had about working as a PI in Virginia. I just passed my IPIU PI exam and look forward to getting my feel wet in the field.
    Joe

Professional Member of:
    I have a question since I have a Security Officer license that is issued by VA DCJS can I work uder this license as a PI and not be in the red.I say this because I have read Legal Affairs exeptions to the code the first rule?

Professional Member of:
    does anyone know if I need a license in VA to serve papers?

Here in 'OL Miss'

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donovan
    Jim, that is correct.

Most "basic" investigations do not require a PI License if you choose to work within the statutes as you described.

Your next step is to complete all of your IPIU paperwork that was mailed to you, which can lead to your Level 4 access where the assignments and other jobs are posted.

But also, once you obtain Level 4 access here, then I suggest you go to the Level 4 forum titled OBTAINING YOUR LICENSE and allow IPIU help you in qualifying for your PI License or agency license before retiring. With your background, there is much we can do for you.

When you are ready for the link, post your question in your Introduction Topiuc where the moderators can direct you.

All my best to you,

Robert

Hello Robert,

I live in a state where there are no provisions for PI Licensing, that is to say they do not offer or require a license here.
    With that being said, i have sent/faxed my dues and am awaiting my test booklet, i have completed several Mystery Shops for different clients lately. I have my photo Credentials from IPIU and wonder if there is something else i'm overlooking other than waiting for my CWP , i know of nothing else i need for legal purposes. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for all you do,
    Steven Lofing

Professional Member of:
    I would ask this question in the Mississipppi Forem.Maybe there somone can help you.

Thanks Hugh,

I tried to find a forum for Miss. The only links i find are for 2 companies that are here and neither return my e-mails.

Professional Member of:
    Go to the license forum Steven.

Yep

Thanks again Hugh,

It seems i'm the typical puppy chasing it's tail. I went to the licensing forum, to the Mississippi.gov site, to the Mississippi insurance site and if this is all there is, i'm living in a very loose restrictions area..... just don't want to get caught with my pants down. Unlike the restrooms in Houston...lol

Professional Member of:
    If you still have questions then call the police nonemergency
    to see if they can help you more.

Re: PI Licensing: Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Waters Fisher
    I just completed a DJCS licensed training course and I am now registered as a Private Investigator in VA. I only need to take my letter of approval to DMV to get the picture ID.
    Do I still need to take the test given by IPIU? (The manual arrived in the mail on Monday)
    Thanks!
    Marsha Waters-Fisher
    Hi Marsha
    where did you get your courses at??which school?
    are you license to run your own PI business now?

I'm new, but I believe I got this right through ipiu and upon completing training I can work for any company with out having a licence long as i am not soliciting my own work, but somewhere down the road i need to be registered which takes 2 to 6 weeks ,Is the intern ship offered the same as going to school to be registered?

Can anyone tell me which schools have the best training classes for a PI license? Several people I know have recommended Central Training Academy. Are there any other schools that anyone would recommend and can anyone tell me how much these classes cost? Thanks so much for the info!
    Alyssa

John McCarty is offline *

Member of the International Private Investigartors Union (IPIU)

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Edds View Post
    Can anyone tell me which schools have the best training classes for a PI license? Several people I know have recommended Central Training Academy. Are there any other schools that anyone would recommend and can anyone tell me how much these classes cost? Thanks so much for the info!
    Alyssa
    He runs class once a month and has been around a long time. He also teaches a number of other items. Here is the web address:

http://www.millerserve.com/

John

Jenifer Jewell-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Re: Virginia

There is no legal status in the State of VA that someone can act as an unlicensed Private Investigator without first being legally licensed through Virginia's Department of Criminal Justice ( DCJS) To become licensed you have to submit to a background check though the state, take and pass PI classes certified eligible in the state and the pay state fees. Even with all of this, a PI in VA cannot act on their own behalf ( own business ) without a class "11" license which takes 5 years of verified documented experience. Online classes do not qualify for the state certified training. The only time a person does not need a DCJS license is if they were an 'in house investigator" for a company such as a Target loss prevention employee. Technically this person is not a licensed private investigator but an in house employee acting on behalf of their company. In Virginia, to present one's self as a PI ( unlicensed) is a criminal act worthy of prosecution.

Re: Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Jenifer Jewell View Post
    There is no legal status in the State of VA that someone can act as an unlicensed Private Investigator without first being legally licensed through Virginia's Department of Criminal Justice ( DCJS)
    As a whole, this is incorrect. Rather than use the term licensed or unlicensed private investigators, we use the terms regulated or unregulated private investigators.

The Virginia statutes include several areas of unregulated private investigations that do not need a registration card. They are listed in the following link:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3249

The only time a person does not need a DCJS license is if they were an 'in house investigator" for a company such as a Target loss prevention employee.
    There are twenty (20) areas of unregulated private investigations that are approved by Virginia statute in the above link.

In Virginia, to present one's self as a PI ( unlicensed) is a criminal act worthy of prosecution.
    Private Investigators who advertise regulated services to the general public without the benefit of working lawfully within the twenty (20) exemptions are required to be registered.

Private Investigators who simply perform both regulated and unregulated services with the benefit of working lawfully within the twenty (20) exemptions are not required to be registered.

(One example is to present a business card as "John Smith, Private Investigator, Law Offices of Susan Jones"). In this example, John Smith can lawfully present himself as a private investigator in the course of his work for Susan Jones, who is a licensed attorney and who is exempted from being separately registered as a private investigator)
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Jenifer Jewell-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

There is so much confusing information here.

The State of Virginia for private security services including Private Investigations can be found here: http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/

As far as I am aware, no one can set themselves forth as a "private investigator" without being legally registered with the state which requires that you attend a DCJS certified course ( 60 hours) have fingerprints and a background check completed and passed and pay required fees to DCJS. Once you are registered, you can ONLY open your own business if you complete the requirements of a "compliance agent" which requires a person to have 5 years full time previous experience in the security field, such as being a retired police officer before they are able to apply for such a business license. If you can get someone to act as your compliance agent and you are DCJS registered, then you can operate as a partnership in a PI business at any time once you are registered.
    There are more requirements in addition to this in order to open your own PI business in Virginia including possessing insurance etc
    Any work done by a person possessing a "99" registeration ( the 60 hours etc) must work under someone who carries a "11" license which is a Private Investigators business license. No Private Investigative Agency in this state will ever hire an unlicensed person for private investigative work.

For those "exceptions" previously posted here are for conditions of employment where you are working in house for your employer and not as "private investigator". If you call yourself a private investigator in this state, you'd better have a DCJS registration or face the long arm of the law.
    There are some states which do not require all the prelicensing regulations but Virginia is not one of them.
    Jenifer Jewell
    DCJS registered Private Investigator
    Virginia

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Young View Post
    Funny how someone not from Virginia can advise someone on our state laws.
    Antony, you are new to this forum and I think you need to re-read the Oath, Code of Ethics, Forum Rules, and Mission Statement you signed. What you mocking does not stand up against what you signed to obtain a Guest Account here.

Here's the link > http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6688

The Mission Statement you and everyone at this site agreed to has a section titled "LICENSING, REGULATED & UNREGULATED EXEMPTIONS, TRAINING, NEWCOMERS".

Is there any part of that you no longer agree to?

Everyone, if you have any question as to if you need a registration or not, CALL Virginia Dept. of Criminal Justice and ask them. No one on this site can provide a true answer to your question. The only answer that really matters is what DCJS tell you.
    Phone calls are "okay", but IPIU has always encourages newcomers to the profession not to rely on a telephone conversation that does not have full accountability. We are to rely on our Mission Statement which in part says "We promote all interested parties to pursue obtaining government licensing for our profession whenever the entire evidentiary facts of an interested party's individual circumstances dictate such a need or requirement.", as well as being fully versed in the statutes that govern the telephone response from any government worker.

If you think you fall within the 20 ways, but the state says you are not, you could be charged with a crime and loose any chance of being an investigator. You may also be fined up to $2500 and get up to 1 year in jail.
    There has never been a single account of any IPIU member ever being fined or jailed for working within the exempted areas of the statutes. When I joined IPIU there were not nearly the 40,000 + members there are today. Let's not throw out warnings about fines and jail time to those who know they're within their rights to work in those areas without the extra license. I know of several criminal private investigators who work for some of the largest law firms in the country, and they have never sought the extra expense to license themselves for the work they are already busy in.

In my opinion, I would never encourage anyone to call the Virginia Department without first becoming fully acquainted with the entire statutes. And if someone needs additional interpretation, then they probably should not become a PI. The statutes are, for the most part, in plain English.
    Michael Newman

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:

As far as I am aware, no one can set themselves forth as a "private investigator" without being legally registered with the state
    What do you mean by "set themselves forth"? Do you mean as in business for themselves or as a private investigator who works for someone else who is exempted?

requires that you attend a DCJS certified course ( 60 hours) have fingerprints and a background check completed and passed and pay required fees to DCJS. Once you are registered, you can ONLY open your own business if you complete the requirements of a "compliance agent" which requires a person to have 5 years full time previous experience in the security field, such as being a retired police officer before they are able to apply for such a business license.
    That is correct for those who wish to conduct regulated cases, as Legal Affairs stated. But it is not required for unregulated cases.

Once you are registered, you can ONLY open your own business if you complete the requirements of a "compliance agent" which requires a person to have 5 years full time previous experience in the security field, such as being a retired police officer before they are able to apply for such a business license. If you can get someone to act as your compliance agent and you are DCJS registered, then you can operate as a partnership in a PI business at any time once you are registered.
    In other states this is referred to as either a sponsor for your agency license or a qualifying manager for your agency license. The partnership is not required if the applicant is a corporation and the president hires a compliance manager to oversee the cases.

Any work done by a person possessing a "99" registeration ( the 60 hours etc) must work under someone who carries a "11" license which is a Private Investigators business license. No Private Investigative Agency in this state will ever hire an unlicensed person for private investigative work.
    Yes and no. If a portion of a case, such as investigating court records or using certain generic skills (including the internet) to locate a target, does not require a licensed PI, then an unlicensed operative can be hired without the need of a license.

A famous licensed PI once said he uses his license to get 100 cases a week, of which 50-90 of those cases did not require him to use his license because they fell within the unregulated areas of the statutes.

For those "exceptions" previously posted here are for conditions of employment where you are working in house for your employer and not as "private investigator".
    Any company can employ someone and titled them a private investigator for the affairs of the company employer without a license. That is one of the exemptions.

A licensed Pi or an unlicensed "person" can charge a fee for obtaining background records for a client.

A licensed Pi or an unlicensed "person" can charge a fee for conducting an undercover video covert assignment for a mystery shopping company.

Is it confusing? It can be if we limit our reading and our understanding of the entire statutes. That is why we must first agree to the Oath and Mission Statement:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6688
    Michael Newman

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

DHS Certified

Time out, everyone.

IPIU and the Private Investigator Forums is a big tent, covers many states and countries, and includes all professionals whether they are regulated or not regulated, licensed or not.

Let's all take a deep breath and agree that everyones comments has some merit.

As Michael mentioned, we all agree with our Mission Statement which includes promoting lawful investigations within the law, which does not mean that the law always regulates.

So let's try to have a better understanding of the what the law does regulate and leave the remainder to another discussion.

Donna

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST

Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Brian Acors is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

In VA, to start your own firm, after you obtain your Reg. to become a PI. You must pay $800 + other fees, to obtain a "License". If I purchased the PI AGENCY CORPORATION LICENSE Though IPIU, would that technically be saying my business is out of CO?

No you still have to have a license from Virginia. Go to
    http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/ to view the laws.

John

I have read about the CO Corp Plan in other forums. If this is the case, what would be the advantage of this plan in Virginia? Any?

The plan with IPIU dose not cover any state laws with regards to licensing requirements that the states may have.

What you are getting with IPIU is a community of like minded people and business contacts that you may be able to turn into work.

Please feel free to contact me at (see Moderator's Reply)
    JOHN McCARTY
    Licensed Private Investigator (VA #99-203360)
    LIA Security and Investigations (11-5511)
    Virginia, USA

Thanks For the help!!

Brian,

Allow me first to formally address how the IPIU Colorado PI Agency Corporation can be used to gain approval to work as a licensed PI Agency in Virgina. (Then I will formally answer John's posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Acors View Post
    In VA, to start your own firm, after you obtain your Reg. to become a PI. You must pay $800 + other fees, to obtain a "License".

If I purchased the PI AGENCY CORPORATION LICENSE Though IPIU, would that technically be saying my business is out of CO?
    Technically speaking, yes. Virginia statutes allow a license to be issued to a PI Agency who is headquartered in Colorado (or any other state or country) as long as a local Virgina licensed PI will sponsor the Virginia Agency Application for the out-of-state firm. The only additional requirement for the Colorado PI Agency Corporation (aside from insurance and fees) is they have to file for an authorization with the Secretary of the Commonwealth (Virginia) to lawfully do business within Virginia. (The office I work at with IPIU performs these types of filings every week)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Acors View Post
    I have read about the CO Corp Plan in other forums. If this is the case, what would be the advantage of this plan in Virginia? Any?
    The advantages are:
    1. You, as the personal owner of all of the stock in your Colorado PI Agency Corporation, will never be revealed through any public record anywhere in the world, not even the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virgina (unless you choose to reveal it). This is the single greatest benefit to the Colorado PI Agency Corporation through IPIU.

2. The personal names, addresses, and other vital statistics of the President, Treasurer, and Secretary of the Colorado PI Agency Corporation will never be revealed through any public record anywhere in the world, not even the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virgina - (unless you choose to reveal it)

3. IPIU can arrange for your local Virgina sponsor (a licensed private investigator) through proprietary resources and methods - once you upgrade your IPIU account to a Lifetime Professional Membership (LPM) account. LPM's are typically a corporate owner already and just need the extra sponsor to get their local agency licensed.

As a side note, we just completed a very similar request for a sponsor for an LTP member. Although the documents and preparation took a week, we received over 50 applications from potential licensed private investigator sponsors within 8 hours. Of the 50, the corporation owner is meeting with the sponsor tomorrow and will in all likelihood have his PI Agency License in hand in just a short time. Otherwise, his only option was to locate an agency who would hire him an an employee for several years before he would have the experience needed for his own license. The route he chose to take, by incorporating and allowing IPIU to help, will enable him to start licensed work in just a very short time, while documenting his experience for the next few years - at which time he will no longer need a sponsor).

4. Until such time you are financially prepared to set up your own local licensed agency in Virginia, your Colorado PI Agency Corporation is authorized to accept any type of PI Assignment from anywhere in the nation through your headquarter's office in Denver, which permit you to speak to clients on a toll free number wherever you are. How to actually handle potentially regulated cases which require a licensed PI in Virginia is taught through our free corporation owner's forum. For any and all other unregulated cases, you are taught how to manage them without the need of a licensed private investigator.

For expert advice, call Jerry at 406-534-0251 from 10AM to 7PM Eastern Time

Quote Originally Posted by John McCarty View Post
    No you still have to have a license from Virginia. Go to
    http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/ to view the laws.
    Yes and no.

1. For regulated PI Cases only in Virginia where his Colorado Corporation is performing the cases themselves, then the Colorado PI Corporation needs to acquire a Virginia license (which can be acquired with the aid of a Virginia Licensed Pi performing as a sponsor). Once the Colorado PI Corporation has acquired a Virginia license, then the agency owner (Brian) can work under his agency license - which will remain headquartered in Denver.

2. For unregulated PI Cases only in Virginia where his Colorado Corporation is assigning the cases to unlicensed case examiner contractors, then the Colorado PI Corporation and the Virginia case examiners who perform the assignments do not need to acquire a Virginia PI license (Click Here - for the 20 different areas of unregulated private investigatrors who do not need a personal Virginia PI License)

3. And to Brian's original question - if a Colorado PI Agency Corporation were to be licensed to do investigations in both states, including Virginia, could he assume that his "business is out of CO?" - The answer is Yes. His parent PI Corporation will remain in Colorado, while he seeks to expand its corporate charter to other states to operate lawfully. (See my earlier answer to him)

The plan with IPIU dose not cover any state laws with regards to licensing requirements that the states may have.
    That is an incorrect read from this link.

1. The Colorado PI Agency Corporation does include the ability to accept all cases at the Denver office - no matter what state the case may lead to - and then to provide the lawful dispatch of either licensed private investigators or unlicensed case examiners - within the other states regulatory statutes to complete the assignment.

2. If, however, you were attempting to state that the Colorado PI Agency Corporation License does not give automatic authority to handle regulated PI cases in Virginia, then that is correct. But it does not preclude the Colorado PI Agency Corporation to earn client retainers and to dispatch all Virginia assignments lawfully by using the IPIU program as outlined in the Corporation Owners Forum.

What you are getting with IPIU is a community of like minded people and business contacts that you may be able to turn into work.
    That is certainly one of the hundreds of other membership benefits members enjoy.

If members are not getting the work they seek, there is more than one proven IPIU plan that can (and does) improve the success of a private investigator.

Some unsolicited comments by members (using their real names and locations) are here: Click Here

On a side note, John, if you reinstate your expired union membership, you will have personal access to the Level 4 forums where these methods are available free to those wish to expand their business, or seek a sponsor for a new business.

To renew, Click Here . As a licensed private investigator, you need only to choose the Economy Plan.

New photos of the difference between a "Registered PI" versus the "Licensed PI" in Virginia have been added in Post #1 of this topic. Go, go to the following link:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?3249
    Brad Foster
    IPIU Support

START WITH TRUST

BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast