Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PI Licensing: Virginia

Jeff Nester is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: PI Licensing: Virginia

I have been reviewing the VA DCJS site and this thread.

Has anything changed for VA since the last information posts here?

I also would like clarification on how the Denver plan would work for me here in VA.

Assuming I:
    1. Take the DCJS approved class,
    2. Register,
    3. Gain the appropriate levels and membership in IPIU.
    4. I then buy into the Denver corp. plan, and
    5. Get sponsorship to operate in VA,

... then I basically work for myself in the Denver co. and then after 5 years I can apply to open in VA?

Does that allow me to contract, and advertise, myself out in VA? Or am I still subject to the limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nester View Post

Has anything changed for VA since the last information posts here?
    Answer: No

I also would like clarification on how the Denver plan would work for me here in VA.

Assuming I:
    1. Take the DCJS approved class,
    2. Register,
    3. Gain the appropriate levels and membership in IPIU.
    4. I then buy into the Denver corp. plan, and
    5. Get sponsorship to operate in VA,

... then I basically work for myself in the Denver co. and then after 5 years I can apply to open in VA?
    Answer: The items in the list are correct, but they are out of order. With a sponsor program, you wait on Items 1 and 2.

Also, there would be no five year waiting period. After we help you with your Virginia sponsor, you would simply start working your agency out of Virginia where your "branch office" would be approved. You maintain your headquarters in Denver, and have an approved branch office and Virginia PI License.

If your aim is to obtain your Virginia PI License, then the steps would be:

1. Join IPIU as a Lifetime Corporate Member
    2. Request the Headquarter Corporation Package in Denver
    3. Complete the documents and application forms our office provides you to use a sponsor
    4. After you choose the sponsor you want, then your Virginia PI Licenses are preapproved, and the hard copies are processed for your to start promoting, advertising, and working your agency.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

My goal is to start working asap, and when I can justify the expense, go for the lifetime membership and corporation packages. My plan was to pick up a union plan tomorrow to get started. Can I still find work in VA through IPIU without being registered in VA? If not, would taking the class and getting registered cause any problems in the future when trying to open a branch here?

My goal is to start working asap, and when I can justify the expense, go for the lifetime membership and corporation packages.
    You have several options:

You could request the Professional Package #1 to start working unregulated cases in Virginia at the following link:
    http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...oducts_id=1600

You could then request the Headquarter Corporation Package in order to start working national cases at the following link:
    http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...oducts_id=1584

Then you could upgrade to a Lifetime Corporate Plan.

Or, call the office today at 406-534-0251 for details.
    Brad Foster
    IPIU Support

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

Thanks for the info Brad. That looks like the best option for me right now. I hope to pick up that package by the end of the week!

Danielle Bosley is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

So I've scoured the regulations and exemptions for this state... I notice nothing about conducting missing persons investigations or genealogy in Virginia that require a PI license- am I wrong?

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Danielle, I have posted your question in my moderation journal for an administrator to assist with your question as soon as is practicable. Thank you for your patience as your question is answered.

On the DCJS website for Va- (http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/pss/howto/index.cfm) All I see is mention of registration to be a PI (which has only a few eligibility requirements- including 60 hours of training). There is no mention of an actual PI "License". Can anyone clarify this for me? Is this "registration" all that is required to operate and advertise as a Virginia PI? Is it really that simple? Just 60 hours of training? No 3,4, 5 etc years experience??

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    On the DCJS website for Va- (http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/pss/howto/index.cfm) All I see is mention of registration to be a PI (which has only a few eligibility requirements- including 60 hours of training). There is no mention of an actual PI "License". Can anyone clarify this for me? Is this "registration" all that is required to operate and advertise as a Virginia PI? Is it really that simple? Just 60 hours of training? No 3,4, 5 etc years experience??
    Read Post Number 1 in this topic. You will see a picture and description of the Registered PI card versus the Licensed PI card.

"The license from DCJS is only necessary when I want to run my own contracts, start my own business. And in order to get that I have to go to some DCJS approved training which will last about 60 hours or so.
    That is correct. "

From what I am reading on here and the DCJS website, it seems like the 60 hours of classes are to enable you to be registered and work for other PI's- not to open shop and advertise for yourself as a licensed PI.

"After you choose the sponsor you want, then your Virginia PI Licenses are preapproved, and the hard copies are processed for your to start promoting, advertising, and working your agency."

I have read nothing about there even being a "pre-approval" status for PI licensing in Va, or any other state thus far. Really, in this scenario, with a sponsor- one would just be working under that sponsor's license, not their own- correct? How many years would it take for that to not be necessary anymore and the individual to start working/advertising etc in VA on their own without a sponsor?

"Read Post Number 1 in this topic. You will see a picture and description of the Registered PI card versus the Licensed PI card. "

I am aware of all Post 1 entails and the difference between what a registered PI and a licensed PI can do in VA. What it doesn't clarify is how to become licensed. There is a lot of information on just being registered. I can't even find it on DCJS's website still.

Another question: Suppose someone in shoes like mine (having a corp set up in CO) gets registered in VA. I know that allows me to work for other PI's and PI firms, but isn't there generally a non-compete issue there working for one PI agency when you have your own?

Paul Abernathy is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Hello Everyone,

I have taken the time to read all of these posts carefully and I am still slightly confused. I am fully employed right now so my goal here is to be a legal licensed PI in Virginia. I am planning on taking the 60 hr Course required here in Virginia since I like hands on training and to be honest I took the course 20 years ago but things have changed in this field over the years.

I am trying to wrap my head around this Colorado Corporation concept. Is it basically finding me a compliance agent here in Virginia so that my CO corporation extends a branch here in Virginia which I would run....and gain experience?

The information posted back a few posts ago seem detailed but confusing. So are you all going to handle all the paperwork needed for Virginia and just how does your program get me licensed in Virginia without the 5 year experience requirement and compliance agent?

Paul Abernathy is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Also I forgot to add- in light if Colorado's new voluntary licensing requirement. How will this affect the Colorado Corporatipn option?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Abernathy View Post

I am trying to wrap my head around this Colorado Corporation concept. Is it basically finding me a compliance agent here in Virginia so that my CO corporation extends a branch here in Virginia which I would run....and gain experience?
    Hello Paul,

The answer is "yes". In Virginia, we can aid you in obtaining a compliance agent to sponsor your PI Agency Application, thereby providing you (as the owner) to lawfully advertise and promote your Virginia licensed agency for clients, and to personally obtain your Registered Private Investigator credentials to work under your licensed PI Agency.

You would have two (2) roles within your licensed agency: Role #1 is you would be the president and sole stock holder of the agency, thereby earning all of the net profits your agency produces. Role #2 is you would be an employee of the licensed agency as a Registered Private Investigator, which begins to document your personal earned hours over the next few years so that at some point you can qualify as your own compliance agent. As a Registered Private Investigator, employed by your own licensed agency, you can be earning on your own.

The reason we first incorporate you in Colorado is to permit you to begin advertising and promoting your agency as a "national agency" headquartered in Colorado (with the option to acquire a branch PI License for your home state at a later time). By headquartering in Colorado, your privacy is protected from all public records, unlike other states. A headquartered agency in Colorado permits you to accept national clients through your Colorado Retainers, and then assign the cases wherever they may lead. If a case in another state does not require that state's PI License, then you can assign the case in-house. If a portion of your Colorado case requires some surveillance in another state where the state has PI Licensing laws, then you simply contact IPIU for a licensed PI in that state to to perform that portion of the case at a wholesale rate under their agency license, while you collect the full retail amount from your client.

Example of how a headquartered business on the internet can provide products and services without a local state license:
    Walmart is headquartered in Arkansas. Customers who live in another state who go to www.walmart.com can choose to buy from the website and have the headquarter Walmart in Arkansas fulfill the order without having any local license.

If Walmart chooses to deliver a portion of the product or service in another state where local licensing is required, then Walmart can either sub-contract the delivery of those services to another licensed business, or Walmart can apply for a corporate branch license in the state to open a branch location.

National Private Investigative Agencies who are headquartered in Colorado for asset and privacy protection (plus lower taxes and annual fees), can choose which states they wish to obtain a state PI License to employ their own PI's, or which states they choose to sub-contract the regulated portions of a case to other professionals who are already insured.

In either case, it is our opinion if you choose to own your agency, the earnings wil be much higher than working for someone else as an employee of their agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Abernathy View Post
    So are you all going to handle all the paperwork needed for Virginia and just how does your program get me licensed in Virginia without the 5 year experience requirement and compliance agent?
    Yes, as a Lifetime Corporate Member of the International Private Investigators Union (which includes three (3) personal Lifetime Memberships), we offer a benefit of aiding you at incorporating your agency, preparing all of the required applications, providing specialized insurance brokers for your agency corporation, providing a draft agreement between your corporation and your compliance agent, and solicit compliance agents on your behalf (as your representative).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Abernathy
    . . . in light if Colorado's new voluntary licensing requirement. How will this affect the Colorado Corporation option?
    It doesn't.

Colorado's Voluntary License (CVL) is no a requirement for operating and advertising as a Private Investigation Agency Corporation. The CVL is meant to permit individuals to advertise their personal names as a "Licensed Private Investigator". PI Agency Corporations can issue business cards to any of their private investigators that bear their personal name as a "private investigator". So the difference is the word "license". The PI Agency Corporations can lawfully advertise they hold a corporation license as a PI Agency, thereby avoiding the use of a "personal PI License".

Sincerely,

Ann Marie Ryan
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Paul Abernathy follow up questions are in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...Paul-Abernathy

Looking for a Virginia DJCS Compliance agent willing to serve as CA for a one man registered PI, looking to jump into the market. Thank you for your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3