Thread: The END OF EMAIL, as we know it?

Arrow The END OF EMAIL, as we know it?

I just got through cleaning out my email of over 5000 spam and junk emails, which took me a few hours. Yes, I can sort them by subject, and use a preview to help speed along the process, but this is getting out of hand.

When our office sends out an email, we sometimes get a return email asking us to verify that we actually sent it. The verification can be a simply second reply, or a typed image number, or something else.

Our own Contact Us link has helped, but many people are adding an additional Image Verification step.

In the end, email as we know it - type and send to a friend or customer, is going to come to an end (as I see it). It has become too much of a payroll cost and a time waster.

Maybe the future will require us to spend more time sending a qualified message that it will be cheaper to send a mailed letter.

And as long as people do not know how to add emails to their Address Book, that won't work either. Many of our member emails are placing our important messages in their junk folder and they're not getting what they want.

Don't be surprised to see us go to a new and slower method of communicating in the future. I think the free lunch is over.

All my best,

Robert
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: The END OF EMAIL, as we know it?

Robert,

I know how you feel. I receive several hundred emails a day in my personal accounts - I have the maximum seven in Comcast, etc. I just applied for the pi-agency.us. I keep multiple email addresses to help sort the incoming email -- it helps a bit.

I know that some of the "authorities" on the Internet say that the Internet needs to be scrapped completely and built from scratch. They did not mention the email issue.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Vicki McCarthy - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I have seven e-mail addresses, and get about as much junk as you two. I switched my e-mail server to one that has a "junk" button, and once the mail is relagated to junk, it never comes back to my in box. Junk is sorted into another folder that I review weeekly, and as I delete them I select the safe ones if they got into junk by mistake, and move them to the in box and mark as not junk.

Still a pain in the ???? but much easier than all that junk coming in to one file.

I have heard the "scrap the internet" rumor, but I don't think it can be done now, without major protests from all us older folk. We just get comfy with the system, and they change it? Besides what would we use in the meantime? And who would rebuild it? So many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki McCarthy
    I have heard the "scrap the internet" rumor, but I don't think it can be done now, without major protests from all us older folk. We just get comfy with the system, and they change it? Besides what would we use in the meantime? And who would rebuild it? So many questions.
    Vicki,

I think that we have to consider the term "rumor". Dictionary.com indicates that a rumor is "a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts" The information I provided is valid, documented, and easily available.

Your questions and concerns are valid. It can be done, but not by people who do not believe in it. In my doctoral dissertation, I looked at the correlation between management attitudes and the success of virtual teams. The results were as expected - if a manager did not believe in virtual teams, they were failures 96% of the time. This is a pattern with all change - if the people at the top do not believe in it, there will be only failure. If the team making it happen do not believe in the change, it will not happen. I conducted propaganda programs (we called them "awareness" programs) for ISO 9000:1994, ISO 9000:2000, and SEI's CMM/CMMI. The people affected have to know the benefit to them.

The Internet sucks warm swamp water right now. It is pathetic and cumbersome. It was designed for academic collaboration among and between small groups.

No one suggested that the Internet be turned off while someone creates a replacement. That is unreasonable to consider.

The who will rebuild it is a much scarier question. I would suspect that the people who did the studies on the Internet and its clunkiness would be involved. You, as an investigator, need to find out who they are and what their biases are.

Today I deleted over 2000 junk emails with reading them.

But today I received a snail mail envelope addressed to me, and I opened it, read it, and placed it in my to-be-considered box.

If a company wants me to read their solicitation, they are better off placing a stamp on an envelope than competing with 2000 other spam emails.

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Ford
    ...If a company wants me to read their solicitation, they are better off placing a stamp on an envelope than competing with 2000 other spam emails.
    Cynthia,

With the price of postage having gone to $0.41 this week, I can see why people use "unsolicited" email.

We have laws against unsolicited faxes, why not spam? I know that unsolicited faxes cost the Receiver money, but no one worries about the Time is costs to ensure that you are not deleted good stuff.

Now that I have a "spam filter" working, it does clean out the in-boxes a bit.

Diana Lindstrom is offline Former Moderator:

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forums

The following is my opinion only.

As business owners, the concern about how much time it takes to respond to the verification emails has become much more acute.

If a business sends out 1,000 emails to double-opt-in subscribers, and gets back 20 requests to verify that it is who it says it is - how much time does it take to respond? To people who already said that they want what you send.

Now make that 10,000 emails with 200 requests. Do you want to hire another person JUST TO DO THESE RESPONSES???

Several business owners in other on-line communities are asking this question. The increased price for stamps notwithstanding, snail mail becomes cheaper.

And then we'll deal with the security questions of addresses supplied via forms on our websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lindstrom
    ...As business owners, the concern about how much time it takes to respond to the verification emails has become much more acute.
    Diana,

I am not sure that I understand the comment about "verification emails". I think I have an idea, but I would like you to explain it a bit more. We need to understand the problem a bit better.

Deborah Davis is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 - 2008 Member of:

I also have hundreds of e-mail but for the most part they are business related. When I am at home I constantly clear out my e-mail to make room for more. So far my business package has kept the spam to a minimum.

However, my yahoo account, which is set up for my doll sculpting businesss gets hit with excessive spam.

Deborah,

I was out of my home office today - all day. I have seven email accounts. I cleared almost 100 emails before leaving the office early. I had 200 more emails by late evening when I got back.

And these are the ones that evaded the screening!

Melanie Kozik - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2007 - 2008 Member of:

"The who will rebuild it is a much scarier question."

My money would be on google - they will take over the world. wahahahaha.

They have dorm-rooms for all their employees already - seriously.

Melanie

Melanie Kozik - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2007 - 2008 Member of:

Oh and FYI, yahoo has one of the Worst systems for trying to fight spam - with the best of intentions I am sure.

Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Kozik
    My money would be on goggle - they will take over the world. wahahahaha.

They have dorm-rooms for all their employees already - seriously.
    Melanie,

Years ago I worked for a consulting group in Control Data Corporation. Our boss believed that major corporations should have high-rise buildings - offices on the lower floors and employee apartments on the upper floors.

Shaun Nichols is offline **
    Moderator (On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

You would think that they would have a do not email list. Just like the phone list. The only problem with this is I am sure once you register your email you will get ten times more than what you are getting now. There has to be a solution. I miss some very important messages because I do not feel like going through 500 spam messages a day.

Leah Riley is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 to 2008 Member of:

I have a yahoo account and I am quite happy with it. They filter out the majority of the spam for me. However, there should be a "national do not email list" just as there is a "national do not call list" for telemarketers. I have nothing against telemarketers, I've been one before. Even so, I have my home phone on the do not call list.

I personally have 2 hotmails, 2 yahoos, a gmail, a cox, and a registered domain email. I pursue and can spammers and email scammers as a hobby. In my experience one of the best things to do is find the unsubscribe link in the email (per the CAN-SPAM law there has to be one to opt out of future mailings) if there is not one I view the message headers, (basically a list of all servers the message has gone through) trace the original mail server, perform a WHOIS check to get the abuse/spam email contact and forward the entire message to them, headers and all.

Granted it's a little extra work and some computer/internet savvy is required, but the feeling of knowing I just helped bring down a spammer or even better scammer is well worth it.

Edward Dixon is offline *** Certified

Professional Management Member of:

And now to add to it, we have pop ups!
    Edward Dixon
    IPIU MEMBER

Badge # 11584
    www.edward.dixon.pi-agency.us