Thread: A Brush With Death - An Idea for Christmas!

Lugene Herbst is offline Law Firm Member
    National Office

Agency Member of the International Private Investigators Union

Thumbs up A Brush With Death - An Idea for Christmas!

This past winter a friend of the family was on his way to the local airport from his small-town home. While rounding the bend on a snow covered road in the earlier hours of a foggy January morning, he suddenly found his car slipping into the icy waters of the lake. His only chance to survive was to break a window and swim for the shore. Miraculously his front window popped out and he was freed from near death.

But what about next time? Would that same miracle happen twice in a row?

I saw the Emergency Hammer on IPIU’s ecommerce site and knew I had to get that for our friend, as well as myself.

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...oducts_id=1260

Though I live where snow is a factor, car accidents happen everyday all over the country. If I find myself trapped in my car and unable to get out of my seat belt and/or out a window, I want to be prepared. The hammer not only breaks car windows, but has a cutting tool for seat belts.

I also purchased the Roadside Emergency Kit so I would feel prepared for other potential situations. And if someone needs my help I can be there for them as well.

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...oducts_id=1484

Just think about it.

Here's a tip:

• If you are an IPIU Preferred Member you get 10% of the purchase applied toward a cash credit off your next purchase.

• If you're a IPIU Management Member you get 25% of the purchase applied toward a cash credit off your next purchase.
    Lugene

Ms. Lugene Herbst
    Federal Civil Case Manager
    Law Offices Of Attorney Services
    National Division
    www.lawoffices.cc

I've never heard of an Emergency Hammer before, but then again, maybe I just haven't been paying attention. It certainly seems like a good idea to keep one in the car. Thanks for the links.

Dan MacPhee is offline * Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks for the links,Lugene. I also live in an area where snow is a factor.Keeping an Emergency Hammer in the car seems like a smart idea.

Thanks for the great information Lugene!

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I actually did buy the hammer, and I keep it in my vehicle. I'm glad to have the extra "insurance" in case of emergency.

Thanks, Lugene for the article.

Stormy Renner - is offline *** Certified

Licensed Private Investigator
    Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum
    I bought one also, after seeing a show on TV that showed a similar situation. I think it's a wonderful little tool that is also a terrific gift idea for loved ones. Thanks for sharing your story with us Lugene.
    Stormy Dawn Renner
    Private Investigator
    License # 200621001131

Here's a tip:

• If you are an IPIU Preferred Member you get 10% of the purchase applied toward a cash credit off your next purchase.

• If you're a IPIU Management Member you get 25% of the purchase applied toward a cash credit off your next purchase.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Munson
    Where do you keep the hammer in the car?
    I bought my father the emergency window hammer from IPIU's store, since he travels a lot in his car, and it has a little carrier that attaches to the dash or side panel so it is with reach and secure.

I also bought my sister:

Dynamo Emergency Kit link

My sister lives in a state where hurricanes happen quite often.

With the Dynamo Emergency Kit she can keep her cell phone charged and has an emergency radio and flash light for those times when the electricity is out.
    Nikki

Carmel by the Sea
    California, USA

Robert Munson is offline **

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

The Dynamo

I had not heard of the dynamo kit. Thanks for that information. Another item to add to the list of emergency items to stock.

As for the mounting of the hammer, I wanted those who have it to think about keeping it within arms reach or closer as an accident tends to move items around possibly to an out of reach location.

Michael R. Carlson is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I already have two of these, so I can't take advantage of the members deal unfortunately. But you can never be too prepared.

Someone mentioned about having it accessible from the drivers seat in the event of a crash. A center console with a lid will work. I have mine zip-tied to the lever right under the front of the seat used to move the seat forward and back. (use thin enough ties that you can easily pull them loose when you need). I also have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit in the car, as well as a gallon of fresh water and a blanket. I keep these things at all times.

Now I have a crown vic with a HUGE truck, so I have plenty of room. You may have to be creative with space or selective with your items of choice.

About 3 weeks ago, I ran across a kid that was driving his mustang late at night, fell asleep and smashed the car into cement bridge pilings that hold up an overpass on the interstate. The car flew up off the roadway and burst into flames. Myself and a truck driver were able to pull the kid out and away from the burring car. It was quickly obvious that both legs were broken. I was able to use my blanket and water to treat for shock while waiting for the highway patrol and ambulance to show up.

It may be someone else you help with your gear. What if I needed to smash the window to get that kid out? I had my hammer

Jacquelyn Polk is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks for all the information about the Emergency Hammer, I have never heard of this before; I will purchase one. The emergency kit, water, and blanket are such great ideas. I keep a gallon of water in the car just in case the car runs hot.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Great for Christmas!

After hearing of the resent tragedies in the the news, I have made it a point to buy an emergency kit for each of my grown children for this Christmas.

The Roadside Emergency Kit has extra room in it's carrying bag for additional items you might feel would be good to have handy.

For those of you with Preferred or Management Memberships, remember you have up to a 25% discount OFF.

Thumbs up Re: A Brush With Death - An Idea for Christmas!

Great idea ! I have a dynamo light w/cell charger that works anywhere as well. The hammers work to...good stuff.

S.Williams
    Badge#10508