Thread: Tracing missing heirs with a license?

Malcolm Rheuban is offline **** Certified

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Member

Question Tracing Missing Heirs

I understand that most investigative work carried out by a trainee is legal as long as he/she is operating under someone, who is
    licensed. How about tracing missing heirs. Could a trainee Case Examiner, legally, research Probate Court archives on his/her own? How
    far could he/she get in terms of location of the missing heir, obtaining signatures, and procurement of the probate claim, before they would either need legal assistance or would be in conflict with the law? Thank you.

c

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    There are work from home business's that focus on that and anybody has access to public records. Since there are work from home business like that and they do not need a liscense to do that. Talk to others in your state and see. You can always consult with an attorney.

no license is needed for that as far as i know in ga. because you dont really have a client.

Vicki McCarthy - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Tracing Missing Heirs

A good place to check would be your state licensing board web page. Most states that require licenses for PI work will list the exempt types of work, and from what I have read, most states exempt research/searching the public records.