Thread: PI Licensing: Connecticut

Ct Requirements

What is the licence reqoirements for CT.

No PI License needed
    if you work within the following areas:

1. Working as a private investigator for an attorney;

2. Working as a private investigator for any non-licensed company or agency, where the company's general business activity is not required by state statute to be regulated or licensed under the state's licensing bureau;

3. Working as an unregulated private investigator where the activities and assignments are not regulated by state statute;

If you really need a license (most private investigator trainees do not need a license at this point because they work under the many exemptions of the licensing statutes), then the following will help you when you are ready to advertise yourself as a private investigator in your state:

PRIVATE DETECTIVES / INVESTIGATORS LICENSE

How do I apply for a Private Detective or Investigators license in Connecticut?

The applicant for a private detective or investigator’s license shall be:

No less than twenty-five years of age; of good moral character; have had at least five years experience as a full time investigator either in the employment of a licensed private detective or investigator with a:

United States government investigative service;
    Or a state or organized municipal fire or police department;
    Or the Division of Public Defender Services;
    Or shall have had at least ten years experience as a police officer with a state or organized municipal police department.
    Employment as a watchman, guard or private patrolman SHALL NOT be considered as employment as an investigator. If the applicant is a corporation, association or partnership, the person filing the application in behalf of such corporation, association or partnership shall meet the qualifications set out herein for an individual applicant, and shall be an officer of such corporation, or member of such association or partnership. If the commissioner grants a private detective or investigator’s license to an applicant based on such applicant’s experience as an investigator with an organized municipal fire department, such license shall restrict such license to performing the same type of investigations as he performed for the municipal fire department.

To obtain a license you must:

Accurately complete an application, (DPS-366-C).
    Two (2) recent photographs, 2"x 2", full face.
    Enclosed fingerprint cards (State & FBI) with a Cashiers Check or Money Order only, for each set of fingerprints submitted, payable to the F.B.I. for twenty-four dollars ($24.00).
    Motor vehicle extract (driving record) for the past five (5) years from the motor vehicle agency in the state.
    A copy of applicant’s current operator’s license*
    If the applicant has been in the military, a copy of his/her DD-214 or other documentation to indicate type of discharge.
    Four (4) letters of character reference (licensee only) to be sent directly from the author to the Special Licensing &Firearms Unit. Letters must include the addresses and telephone numbers of the authors. Form letters are not acceptable and will be returned.
    If the applicant is retired or separated from a local or state police department, a letter of discharge must be sent from the former employer to this department. This letter from said department must describe length of service, duties and date of retirement or separation.
    A recent credit bureau report (licensee only).
    A copy of high school/college transcript or G.E.D. One (1) state applicant card (green) and one (1) FBI applicant card (blue) with cashier’s check or money order, payable to the F.B.I. for twenty-four ($24.00).
    If the applicant is currently under any psychiatric care, letter from the attending psychologist is to be sent to this office to verify the applicant’s ability to hold the sought after license.
    If the applicant is not a U.S. citizen, proof of legal residency is required. Verification of submitted documents will be made through the Department of Immigration and Naturalization.
    If the applicant is seeking a license in the private detective or security area, there is a five (5) year full time investigator’s or ten(10) year non-investigator’s requirement. Documentation from previous employers, verifying license eligibility, must be sent directly to the Special Licensing &Firearms Unit. These letters must indicate, in chronological order, the following: date of hire and termination; duties (what, when, where and how long) in each position; reason for leaving employment. All information from previous employer(s) must be sent directly from past employer(s) to the Special Licensing Firearms Unit. All letters must include telephone numbers and addresses of past employers.
    Out of state applicants must submit written verification from the state agency regulating private detective/security companies stating the licensee’s name, type of license held, length of time license has been held and standing of applicant.
    If a corporate license is being sought, a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation from the Connecticut Secretary of State must be submitted. If the corporate entity is an out-of-state corporation, a copy of the Certificate of Authority To Do Business as a Foreign Corporation from the Connecticut Secretary of State must be included. No corporate license will be issued until said documentation has been supplied to the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit.
    Corporate Officials. All persons engaged as corporate officials must be registered with the Special Licensing & Forearms Unit (Corporate Official meaning president, vice president, secretary or treasurer). Failure to register a corporate official may result in your license not being issued. Refer to Connecticut general statue 29-154B. (Corporate officials may not work as an investigator, security guard, or body guard, unless he/she has been properly registered as an employee of the company.)
    Each corporate official must complete the Application for License, indicating the he/she is a corporate official (only the individual acting as licensee will mark the box "licensee"). Each corporate official must submit two (2) 2" x 2" photographs, full face, and two(2) fingerprint cards.

Thank you for ansering my post,it was a big help.

add on

So, let's say for example a friend of mine is in Global Security for a large company...

1) Is it ok for him to say 'hey, why don't you run a background check on this person'.

I don't think he would be considered my 'employer' because I am not on their payroll. I would view him as a 'client'.

2) Don't you have to invoice a company in that example, and if you do, do you require a license and a business or trade name?

I don't think a company would send a check made out to 'Joe Smith', right??

Question License question

Does anyone know if you need a license in Connecticut?

Thanks

Re: License question

Originally posted by Jessica Marin
    Does anyone know if you need a license in Connecticut?

Thanks
    Yes and no.

It depends on how you are performing private investigations and who you are working with.

Read this topic,

Click Here: Do I Need a License Topic

CT and licensing

I was just wondering because I had looked at the Connecticut licensing laws and was wondering if you actually had to be licensed in order to do any P.I. work in Connecticut or can you be registered/certified and still do the work? This really concerns me when i comes to investing my time and money and not knowing whether or not this state allows for this type of certification/training to allow for employment.
    Jamie Bergers

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums
    Jamie,

I merged your question from Trainee Questions and Answers Forum into this existing topic for CT/PI Licensing, which is within "Licensing Laws Only: Private Investigators" Forum. Please take few moments and scroll up until Mr. Donovan's post.

Also, please have a look at these topics, which are within the same Forum:

Private Investigator or Case Examiner (see the post of the Technical Support)

Certification of Your Training and Experience

Please feel free to search this Forum in its entirety, post comments or ask questions if unanswered within the right topic, and wish you have Happy Holidays.
    Carmen Acai
    Sr Moderator

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Thanks for the information. I was confused about what I was, and was not allowed to do.
    I presently work for a Law Firm as a Paralegal and just last week was asked by another attorney from another firm if I knew someone who could do surveillance on one of his files. I didn't offer my services, because I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do so if I wasn't acting under a licensed private investigator.
    The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Badge #6942

This was copied from the Connecticut Department of Public Safety website regarding PI licensing...

Applicants for a private detective license must be at least 25 years of age, have good moral character and have at least 5 year experience as a full time investigator, either in the employment of a licensed private detective; a United States Government investigative service; a state or organized municipal fire or police department; the Division of Public Defender Services or have had at least 10 years experience as a police officer with a state or organized municipal police department.

Applicants for a license are required to post a $10,000 performance surety bond with the state as a condition of license. Any person aggrieved by an act of the licensee, may proceed against same to recover damages.

So the only way to get started as a PI in Connecticut is to work for an established company.

[B]I live in Connecticut and had the same question but it seems that you may be limited as to what kind of PI work you can do. Nevertheless, that won't stop me from doing this!

Vladimir Louverture - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Cool stamford pi

undefined
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Trow
    What is the licence reqoirements for CT.

Dear Corrine,

Do you have a specific questions as to the laws in CT? Unfortunately, in CT you are very limited as to what you can do as a PI, unless you are working for a licensed investigator.
    The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Badge #6942

Does anyone in connecticut know of any employment opportunities with an agency? I have had past experience with investigations and would like to find work.

I have passed my test and also have my badge and I.d.

Thanks

I would just keep looking online and checking the local newspapers. That's how I found my job.

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    It seems I'll have to wait to be licensed in Connecticut. Glad I checked this one out. Thank you for the info.
    ~ Lynne ~

Re: PI Licensing: Connecticut

The following came from a licensed private investigator (name withheld). His communication has been edited to correct typos, spelling, and grammatical mistakes:

The author claimed:
    "Recently I have spoken to a fellow colleague who works as a Licensed Security Officer in the State of Connecticut. He advised me that he was also a Private Investigator for hire. He told me he was a Level 4 Investigator with your organization and that he conducts surveillance activity and investigations in the State of Connecticut.
    Answer: You failed to provide us with any name of any alleged union member. Without the facts, we have no means to verify whether or not your alleged colleague is in fact a licensed private investigator in your state, another state, or not. If you privately email legal.affairs@ipiu.org the name of the colleague, we can discern the facts.

The author claimed:
    "He even told me he had a pretty shiny badge proving it and a "License" issued by you so that legally he could conduct "lawful investigations" in Connecticut. I also advised him his badge is also illegal under state law.
    Answer 1: If you advised him his badge is illegal, then that statement is out-of-context within the entire state law and you have ill advised him. If you are not licensed to practice law, then you should refer your colleague to either the full extent of the statutes, without personal opinion or bias, or refer him to seek advice from a licensed attorney who can carefully review the statutes which provide for the lawful ownership and use of a badge.

Answer 2: Custom badges are optional and are not a requirement. If a union member purchases a custom badge, then they are advised on it's lawful use within the state they reside, as well as their lawful use when traveling outside their residential state. Further, all custom badge uses should include an accompanying approved business card to add additionally clarity for it's lawful use and ownership. Badge laws for both regulated (licensed) private investigators and unregulated (non-licensed) private investigators in all states are in the following Level 1-Professional Forum link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6227

The above link describes in detail how an unregulated private investigator or case examiner can lawfully own and use an approved badge in your state.

Note: If you do not have the proper password to access the above link, then you may apply for a free password at the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/register.php?action=signup

Answer 3: If your alleged colleague is, in fact, a union member who claimed we issued him a state PI License, then he is mistaken and may have violated his signed Oath, Code of Ethics, and Mission Statement. However, we cannot take any corrective action unless you can email us his name.

Here is a link to the Union Member's Oath & Agreement:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2914

Answer 4: The International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) issues union licenses, not government licenses, which are honored by executive member agencies and other employers when an applicant does not have a state issued government license. Union licenses monitor the member's professional conduct for potential unlawful activities.

The author claimed:
    "He also advised me that he routinely receives assignments from you in which he makes a profit.
    Answer: Untrue.

IPIU is an association of private investigative agencies, including attorneys and other professionals who employ union members for a variety of cases and assignments. IPIU never contacts its union members to hire them for assignments.

The author claimed:
    "Yes, it is indeed true you may be an investigator for an attorney in Connecticut, provided you're his employee. Yes, you may be a retail store detective provided you're an employee of the company. Yes, you may be a hotel detective provided you're an employee for the hotel. No license is required for these positions as they are deemed "In House".
    Answer: We agree, although you have only provided a very minimal amount of exceptions to the state licensing requirements.

The author claimed:
    "However, advertising yourself out to be a "Private Detective" for hire is illegal unless you're licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Pubic Safety.
    Answer: We agree. But that does not preclude the unregulated private investigator or case examiner from applying for employment that he/she can lawfully be employed to do so within the state statutes. The key word is "advertise", which is different from applying for employment to the "advertiser". Further, submitting a resume' for employment is not a form of business advertising or business solicitation. There is ample case law which supports the right to work as a private investigator without a state license provided the unregulated private investigator works within the statute exceptions.

The author claimed:
    "Receiving assignments . . . to conduct investigations here in Connecticut is illegal unless he is licensed by the Department of Public Safety. And he was led to believe otherwise.
    Answer 1: Your statement, in and by itself, is out of context within the full extent of the state statutes, and is therefore misleading. There is no state law which forbids any one person from "investigating" any person or entity, even though the state law forbids "advertising" yourself as a self employed private investigator when you are not licensed. But there are ample exceptions outlined in the state statute provisions which permit anyone to perform certain assignments which may be characterized as "investigations" instead of what they lawfully may be considered as "gathering court documents", "locating a missing person through public resources", and other non-regulated types of endeavors which employ unregulated private investigators.

The author claimed:
    "I have visited your website and for the most part it tends to provide half-assed information to people, which is misleading. Now I understand how this fellow was misled. Sounds to me like you're unlawfully engaged in the operation of an illegal investigative firm in the State of Connecticut and most probably in other states as well.
    Answer 1: Sir, with all due respect - your premature accusations and attempts to assassinate the character of the International Private Investigators Union, it's elected officers and board of directors - appears to be based on your own naive attempt to investigate the facts before making such an irrational claim. It is the duty of all private investigators to fully investigate the facts of an issue before making a report which may, as in this case, damage your own reputation because you did not fully investigate the statutes and our public policies that are freely available at this site. Perhaps you made a cursory endeavor to briefly look at one or two items at our site. But this site contains over 250,000 comments authored by more than 30,000 online members out of the 80,000+ worldwide which we have served for sixteen (16) years since 1989.

Answer 2: For the record, we have enjoyed an outstanding relationship with all attorney general offices in all states since 1989. Further, neither IPIU nor any of it's board of directors or officers have ever been the subject of a single government complaint in all of those years. To the contrary, our Code of Ethics and Mission Statement embodies all regulatory federal, state, and local statutes.

The author claimed:
    "And you're throwing him cases involving surveillance which are most likely brokered investigations from out of state private investigators. And worse, you're paying him peanuts to accomplish this all the while under false pretenses.
    Answer: Level 4 union members have their own private access to hundreds of cases and assignments that are available each day, in addition to nearly one hundred endorsed national agencies. The average hourly earnings for trainees can average from $28 to $45 per hour when they apply the rules and guidelines available to them. Licensed or experience private investigators who choose to accept brokered assignments earn more. Self employed private investigator nationally earn their retail rate which currently is up to $150 per hour. If you believe these earnings are truly "peanuts", then we commend your own earnings (which much be higher). If you have a problem with the earnings offered, then contact the employer.

The author claimed:
    "You're basically stealing potential business from legitimate State "LICENSED" Private Investigators and companies in Connecticut
    Answer: Again, with all due respect, your agenda and mission appears to be self-serving, which may be to keep honest newcomers from lawfully operating within your local town. If so, then we implore you to reach out and help others help the profession to handle the enormous amount of work that is available. If you are lacking clients, then the resources available to you and others are there to expand, rather than to limit. You appear to be vastly confused with the statutory rights that outline regulated private investigations versus unregulated private investigations.

The author claimed:
    "I advised him of the actual state laws in Connecticut governing "For Hire Investigators".

"I advised him that he's been operating illegally which he has no intent to engage in, and

"I advised him . . . this at his discretion.
    Answer: Private Investigators are not legal advisers. Their job is to make a factual observation and provide a factual report. It appears you wish to be a legal adviser to an unsuspecting alleged and nameless colleague who does not need ill-advised personal opinions, but rather needs to look at written facts. If you are not willing to promote an ethical approach, then their are thousands of other professionals at this site who can aid both you and your colleague - as well as local attorneys in your area.

As a courtesy, we have not included your name in this comment so as to give you an opportunity to explore the many remedies afforded you and your colleague without undue embarrassment. We fully support private investigators whose mission, oath, and code of ethics is similar to ours (see link we provided).

However, in the end it may very well be that your personal opinion outweighs the facts or outweighs our mission - in which we may wish you the best in pursuing your profession elsewhere.

Nevertheless, we still invite you to consider applying for a free professional guest membership after carefully reading and agreeing to the following Oath, Code of Ethics, and Mission Statement:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2914

Sincerely,

Ann Marie Ryan
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Well I know this post is old but here is the info your all are looking for...

Special Licensing and Firearms

Private Detectives
    Connecticut Public Act # 04-192, requires that any person or firm wishing to conduct business as a Private Detective Service in this state, must first obtain a professional license from the Commissioner of Public Safety. Guidelines for obtaining the license, eligibility criteria, and applicable license fees are detailed in the statute. Private Detective services are also required to register all employees working as investigators under their license. The Special Licensing & Firearms Unit (SLFU) is responsible for processing the license applications and employee registrations, as well as investigating complaints concerning violations of the license statutes.

Qualifications
    Applicants for a Private Detective License must be at least 25 years of age, have good moral character and have at least 5 years Full Time experience as a Licensed Private Detective, or 5 years Full Time experience as a registered Private Investigator, or 5 years Full Time experience operating a Proprietary Detective Agency, or 5 years Full Time experience as an investigator with any Federal State of Local Government, or 5 years Full Time experience as a Detective with a Federal, State or Local Police Department or, Any other recognized 5 years Full Time industry related investigative experience or have had at least 10 years experience as a police officer with a federal, state or organized municipal police department. If the applicant is a corporation, association or partnership, the person filing on behalf of the business, must meet all the qualifications detailed above, and shall be an officer of such corporation, or member of such association or partnership.

The commissioner may, at his discretion, substitute up to one year of experience for a private detective license applicant upon proof of satisfactory participation in a course of instruction pertinent to the license. Employment as a security officer, does not qualify as time earned to obtain a private detective license. No license shall be issued to any person who has been convicted of any felony, (2)convicted of any misdemeanor under section 21a-279, 53a-58, 53a-61, 53a-61a, 53a-62, 53a-63, 53a-96, 53a-175, 53a-176, 53a-178 or 53a-181d, or equivalent conviction in another jurisdiction, within the past seven years, (3) convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude, or (4) discharged from military service under conditions that demonstrate questionable moral character.

If a private detective or private detective agency license is granted to an applicant based on the applicant’s experience as an investigator with an organized municipal fire department, such license shall restrict the licensee to performing only the type of investigations performed for the municipal fire department. It does not grant a general investigation license.

No license may be granted to an applicant currently vested with police powers. The license of a corporation may be denied by the commissioner, or suspended or revoked, if it appears that ten percent or more of the stock of such corporation is held by a person who cannot meet the character standards required of the license applicant.

Applicants for a license are required to post a $10,000 performance surety bond with the state as a condition of license, and also provide a $ 300,000 General Liability Insurance Policy. Any person aggrieved by an act of the licensee, may proceed against same to recover damages.

Instructions to Applicants
    The following materials must be submitted by all applicants for a private detective license:
    1.Application, Form DPS-366-C accurately completed and notarized.

Two (2) recent photographs, 2” x 2”, full-face passport style with blue background.

Return completed fingerprint cards (State & FBI) with two Check or Money Order, one in the amount of $ 25.00 and the other $ 24.00, payable to the Commissioner of Public Safety (C.P.S)

Motor vehicle driving record for the past three (3) years from the motor vehicle agency in the state of residence of the applicant.
    a). A copy of applicant’s current operators license.

If applicant has been in the military, a copy of his/her DD-214 or other documentation to indicate type of discharge, with reenlistment codes.

Four (4) letters of character reference signed by the persons providing the reference. These letters are to be sent directly from the author to the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit. Letters must include the addresses and telephone numbers of the authors. Letters sent by the applicant’s immediate family (parents, wife, etc.), and form letters are not acceptable, and will be returned. We will not accept those letters mailed to or hand carried by the applicant. The letters must be submitted to this office within 60 days of submission of application.

A recent credit bureau report (for licensee only).

Minimum High School Education, provide a copy of high school diploma, GED, college transcript, or college degree.

The applicant must be a U.S Citizen, or a naturalized U.S. Citizen, or possess an INS Green card. Proof of said documents is required. An INS work permit is not acceptable to work in the Security Industry.

If the applicant is retired or separated from a Federal, State a Local Police Department, a letter of discharge must be sent from the former employer to this department. The letter from said department must include length of service, title(s) held, duties performed and date of retirement or separation.

If the applicant is seeking a license as a private security, he/she must meet the five (5) years supervisory security experience, or ten-(10) years experience as a police officer.

Documentation from previous security employment verifying license eligibility must indicate, in chronological order, the following: date of hire and termination, duties, performed (what, where and how long) in each position, reason for leaving employment.

Applicants must submit written verification from the state agency regulating private security stating the applicants name, type of license held, length of time applicant has been held and if the current license they hold is in good standing.

If a corporate license is being sought, a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation from the Connecticut Secretary of the State must be submitted. If the corporate entity is an out-of state corporation, a copy of the Authority to do Business as a Foreign Corporation from the Connecticut Secretary of the State must be included.

If the applicant is currently under any psychiatric care, a letter from the attending Psychologist or Psychiatric must be mailed to this office to verify the applicant’s ability to hold the license being applied for.

Applicants should be aware that an oral interview would be conducted as part of the background process. The Applicant must submit all the items requested before said interview is scheduled.

Corporate Officials: All persons engaged, as corporate officials must be licensed with the Special License and Firearms Unit. (Corporate official, meaning president, vice president, secretary or treasurer) Failure to license a corporate official may result in your license not being issued. Refer to Public Act # 04-192. Corporate officials may not work as security officer or bodyguard, unless he/she has been properly registered as an employee of the company.

A license renewal package must include a completed Form DPS 331-C (Renewal Application for License as Private Security), a Form DPS-363-C (Bond for Private Security License), and the $ 300,000 General Liability Insurance Policy, two current photographs 2”x2” (full face) of licensee and an alphabetical listing of all their employees, as of the renewal date. A check in the amount of the appropriate license fee made payable to the Commissioner of Public Safety, must also be provided.

All information requested in connection with a license application or renewal, must be submitted to SLFU within 60 days. Failure to submit the information on a timely basis will result in the rejection of the application. A new application, containing updated information and materials, would then have to be submitted.

Return “COMPLETED” applications to:

Connecticut State Police
    Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
    1111 Country Club Rd.
    Middletown, CT 06457

Fee Structure
    The following license classification and fee structures apply:
    1.The license for an individual private detective shall be as a private detective. The fee for an individual private detective license shall be $1,200.00 for the initial 2-year license and $500.00 for 2-year renewal.

2.The license for a corporation, association or partnership shall be as a private detective agency. The fee for a private detective agency license shall be $1,500.00 for the initial 2-year license and $800.00 for 2-year renewal.

3. The license for an individual private detective-fire shall be as a private detective-fire. The fee for an individual private detective-fire license shall be $ 1200.00 for the initial 2-year license and $ 500.00 for 2-year renewal.

4.The license for a corporation, association or partnership shall be as a private detective-fire agency. The fee for a private detective-fire agency license shall be $1,500.00 for the initial 2-year license and $800.00 for 2-year renewal.

All of the above licenses shall be issued for a period of 2 years. An application must be submitted every two years thereafter to renew the license for an additional two years term.

License Renewal
    A private security company license is issued for a period of 1 year. Ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of a license, the Special License and Firearms Unit will mail the licensee a renewal application. The renewal application includes Form DPS-331-C (Renewal Application), Form DPS-363-C (Verification of Performance Bond), and a list of all registered employees. The licensee must complete and submit the application prior to the expiration of the license. The application will be reviewed by SLFU to determine the continued eligibility of the licensee to retain the license. A list of the various license classifications and fees is contained in this website. The licensing fee shall be made payable to the “Commissioner of Public Safety” in the form of a check or money order. No cash is accepted

Licensed Private Detectives and Security Companies

Employee Registrations
    Immediately upon the hire of any investigator, a private detective firm is required to register such employee with the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit. The cost of registering the employee is a one (1)-time application fee of $ 20.00 per employee. The application (DPS 688-c) and instructions for registering an employee(s) can be found in the “Forms” section of this website. The employer is required to submit photographs and fingerprint cards (State & FBI) with two (2) Checks or Money Orders, one in the amount of $ 25.00 and the other in the amount of $ 24.00, payable to the Commissioner of Public Safety (C.P.S.). A criminal history background check will be run on the prospective employee(s). The employer will be notified of the registration or denial of the employee. Failure to register an employee may result in the suspension or revocation of the employer’s Private Detective License.

Upon registration, the employer shall issue each investigator an identification card as prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety. The card shall contain the name, photograph and index fingerprint of the employee; the name and business address of the employer; the employer’s license number and expiration date; and a certification that the named employee is employed as an investigator or agent of the licensee. The identification card must be carried on the employee’s person at all times when engaged in the activities of the employer.

Neither a licensed Private Detective or Investigator or an agent employed by a Private Detective firm, may wear, carry or possess any type of badge or shield. This activity is specifically prohibited. Further, the employer is required to notify the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit within 5 business days of the resignation, termination or firing of any employee(s) registered as an investigator. The employer is also required to provide the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit with an updated list of employees, including assigned investigators, each year, upon renewal of their license.

Forms

Some forms you can mail to DPS, others you must bring with you to DPS. We are in the process of building the list below. If the form you need is either not listed or unable to to be downloaded from the site, please e-mail us and we will mail you the form. If you want to access a form that can be downloaded, you must use the software called Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print them. To get a free copy of the software, click "Get Acrobat".
    Form
    Number

Form Name
    DPS-366-CApplication for Private Detective / Security Service License*
    DPS-363-CBond form for Private Detective/Security Service License
    Reminder - prior to licensing a Private Detective Licensee needs a
    $ 300,000 General Liability Insurance Policy
    DPS-331-CRenewal Application for license as Private Detective/Security Service License
    DPS-688-CApplication for Employee Registration
    Administrative Directives to Applicants Seeking Private Detective/ Security Service License
    Administrative Procedures for Registration, Reinstating and Terminating Guards and Investigators
    Authorization for Release of Personal Information
    Tax Information Statement (Business Filing Status)
    *Applicants for an initial private detective license must submit both a State and Federal applicant fingerprint card. These cards may be obtained from any state police barracks or SLFU.

The information above came from the State of CT Public Safety

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a...qualifications

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will

Greetings Jeffrey, its nice to see you here at IPIU, thanks for sharing this information here with us, it's never to late to learn anything, keep up the good work.

Have a great day.

Bruce McManus is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2007 - 2008 Member of:

Smile Re: PI Links

Paul,
    I live in CT and this information will come in very handy. Thank you

I agree that anyone interested in obtaining a PI license in Connecticut needs to be very familiar with the Department of Public Safety, mainly the Special Licensing Division. I also have a private security license, for which my company has gone through an audit to make sure we are following all the guidelines, etc. Has any firm every been audited for investigative actions in Connecticut?

Just recently, I was audited by the DMV. They informed me it was a random audit. DMV asked me to send them proof the information I had obtained regarding a claimant was for an insurance purposes. When information is obtained at DMV you have to circle reasons for obtaining the information. That specific case was related to insurance apparently they just check random request and require provide verification.fficeffice" />>>

Garrett Owens - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I was hoping somebody could clarify one of the exceptions to the Connecticut PI licensing laws. The exception I am talking about states that I can work within the state without a license as long as I work for an attorney. Does this mean that I have to be employed by the law firm, or can I just be an independent contractor working an assignment for an attorney/law firm.

I am looking to start up my own PI agency in CT and am just trying to figure out exactly what I can and cannot do without my license.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Owens View Post
    I can work within the state without a license as long as I work for an attorney. Does this mean that I have to be employed by the law firm, or can I just be an independent contractor working an assignment for an attorney/law firm.
    You determine which aspects of an assignment are regulated tasks (such as surveillance in a car) versus unregulated tasks (locating someone or performing a background check through public records).

• For regulated tasks, you need to be employed as a wage earner.
    • For unregulated tasks, you can choose a 1099 independent contractor relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Owens View Post
    I am looking to start up my own PI agency in CT and am just trying to figure out exactly what I can and cannot do without my license.
    IPIU can assist you in gaining a sponsor for your PI Agency (which allows you to be the agency owner, while using a licensed PI as a sponsor until such time you do not need a sponsor).

If you are interested, then we suggest you start a headquarter PI Agency in Denver, Colorado - from which you can work national cases using both licensed PI's for regulated cases and unlicensed professionals for unregulated cases.

The headquarter program allows you privacy protection and an instant PI Agency Corporation License to start with. Once your PI Agency Corporation is set up, then you can branch out to other states by filing for a sub-license to do business. There are some legal preps required to do what you want to do, but this has proven the quickest approach in getting established instead of waiting many years.

To request your PI Agency Corporation License, go to the following secured web site:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...oducts_id=1584

Or, call Jean at 800-548-1526

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Updated Connecticut Requirements

PART I
    PRIVATE DETECTIVES AND PRIVATE DETECTIVE AGENCIES

Sec. 29-152u. Definitions. As used in this chapter:

(1) "Armed security officer" means a security officer who carries or has immediate access to a firearm in the performance of such officer's duties as a security officer;

(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Public Safety;

(3) "Licensee" means any person, firm, company, partnership or corporation engaged in the business of providing investigative or security services;

(4) "Private detective" means any person engaged in the business of, or advertising as engaged in the business of (A) investigating crimes or civil wrongs, (B) investigating the location, disposition or recovery of property, (C) investigating the cause of accidents, fire damage or injuries to persons or to property, except persons performing bona fide engineering services, (D) providing the personal protection of individuals, (E) conducting surveillance activity, (F) conducting background investigations, or (G) securing evidence to be used before a court, board, officer or investigation committee;

(5) "Private detective agency" means any person, firm, company, partnership or corporation that, for consideration, advertises as providing, or is engaged in the business of providing, private detectives and private investigators;

(6) "Private investigator" means an employee of a licensed private detective or private detective agency who performs services necessary for the conduct of such licensee's business;

(7) "Security officer" means the licensed and registered person hired to safeguard and protect persons and property, by (A) the detection or prevention of any unlawful intrusion or entry, larceny, vandalism, abuse, arson or trespass on the property such security officer is hired to protect, or (B) the prevention, observation, or detection of any unauthorized activity on the property the security officer was hired to protect. Such security officer may be (i) employed by a security service, or (ii) employed by a business and is an employee who performs security work, wears a uniform for such purpose and performs such work on the premises of the employer's business when such premises are located in an area that is accessible and unrestricted to the public, or has access only by paid admission; and

(8) "Security service" means any person, firm, association or corporation that, for consideration, provides to another person, firm, association or corporation one or more of the following: (A) The prevention or detection of intrusion, entry, larceny, vandalism, abuse, fire, or trespass on the property the security service was hired to protect; (B) the prevention, observation or detection of any unauthorized activity on property the security service was hired to protect; (C) the protection of patrons and persons authorized to be on the premises of a person, firm, association or corporation that the security service was hired to protect; (D) the secure transportation of papers, money, negotiable instruments and other valuables; (E) the provision of patrol and armored car services; or (F) the provision of guard dogs.

There is so much information, that it might be best to go directly to the source: http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsear..._statutes.html