Thread: Training/Experience to obtain Florida Class "C" license

Nelson Landa - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2005 - 2006 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Training/Experience to obtain Florida Class "C" license

I have a question. I succesfully completed the Florida Highway Patrol Auxilliary Police academy. I also have 1year of investigative work as an investigator/loss prevention with a private company. From reading section VIII "Training/Experience" of the Application Instructions for Class "C" License, it states that any succesful completion of law enforcement-related training recieved from any federal, state, county or municipal agency could be counted towards one year of the two years needed to get a "C" license.

It also states that Private Investigative work OR related fields of work that provided equivalent experience OR training is acceptable as well. So, how much time of this part that I just mentioned, is required in the combination of the completed training as mentioned above? I do have 1 year of investigative work, plus my LE credential. Would this be suffecient?

Also, once placed at level 4 and taking on assignments, would this play a part of the experience/training for Florida licensing? If so, how much time is required counting the above training/experience I already posses?

Thanks in advance!

Moderators, I previously posted this on a reply under Florida Licensing laws. I figured I'd start a New Thread for this topic. Sorry for the error. You can delete my post in Florida Licensing laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Landa

1) I succesfully completed the Florida Highway Patrol Auxilliary Police academy.

2) I also have 1 year of investigative work as an investigator/loss prevention with a private company.

From reading section VIII "Training/Experience" of the Application Instructions for Class "C" License, it states that any succesful completion of law enforcement-related training recieved from any federal, state, county or municipal agency could be counted towards one year of the two years needed to get a "C" license.

It also states that Private Investigative work OR related fields of work that provided equivalent experience OR training is acceptable as well.

So, how much time of this part that I just mentioned, is required in the combination of the completed training as mentioned above?

I do have 1 year of investigative work, plus my LE credential. Would this be sufficient?
    Answer: Because their inhouse policy is subject to interpretation and possible review by their appeals board, your best tip is to call their office and speak to a manager that is willing to provide you with their first and last name as a record of reference.

The item of loss prevention may be an area they see as okay or not.

Ask: If you were to submit your application and fees only to find they would not approve your qualifications, if the fees would be refundable? If okay, then go ahead and submit after you gain a phone approval.

Also, once placed at level 4 and taking on assignments, would this play a part of the experience/training for Florida licensing?
    Yes and no.

Some assignments in the Level 4 area are either w-2 employee assignments or independent contractor depending on how the agency and you wish to arrange it.

Some states require work experience as a w-2 employee and not as an independent contractor. Even so, appealing a denied application goes to their board for potential approval as an independent contractor.

Moderators, I previously posted this on a reply under Florida Licensing laws. I figured I'd start a New Thread for this topic. Sorry for the error. You can delete my post in Florida Licensing laws.
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't want this answer in the Florida Licensing Topic. Your questions relate to that thread.

And last, union members have access to the Level 4 area to get free help in obtaining your own Agency License without any prior experience on your part. You would be the owner and IPIU would help you arrange for a C-Licensed investigator to help qualify your agency. It is the best of both worlds, being an owner with owner profits at the same time as holding a CC license under your agency license for earned credits.

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------