Thread: Private Investigator shot repossessing a Rolls Royce

Private Investigator shot repossessing a Rolls Royce

The Wichita Eagle

Wichita private investigator Emery Goad was shot Saturday morning while trying to repossess a car.

Goad, 59, was trying to repossess a Rolls Royce in the 900 block of South Armour, near Woodlawn and Lincoln, said Lt. Jeff Easter. Goad, who was with an assistant and another person, had the papers to take the vehicle, Easter said.

Police said the man who lives in the house went inside and came back out with a handgun, firing twice.

One shot struck Goad in the back. He was taken to Wesley Medical Center in critical condition and was listed in serious condition after surgery Saturday afternoon.

The 76-year-old man who lives at the house was booked into Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of attempted first-degree murder. The Eagle does not name suspects who have not been charged.

Easter said police plan to present their case to the Sedgwick County district attorney's office next week for pursuit of charges.

Goad, who runs Kansas Investigative Services, worked in Kansas Attorney General Vern Miller's office in the early 1970s.

It's a shame that Goad was shot while trying to do his job, said Miller, who is also a former county sheriff and district attorney.

He said Goad is "tops in his field" and extremely careful about working within the law.

"He was always meticulous about court orders. He always made sure he was right before he repossessed or did anything," Miller said.

Sen. Phil Journey, R-Haysville, said Saturday that he has known Goad for more than two decades.

Journey, a longtime Wichita lawyer and advocate for gun owners' rights, said he would be surprised if the shooting was justified.

"If Emery was serving papers, he certainly had legal authority to do it," Journey said.

"The law allows for when one reasonably believes that they are in fear of great bodily harm or death of themselves or another.

"Just because somebody is taking your car -- the law doesn't justify the use of deadly force."

Goad's work hasn't always made him popular, Miller said, but it's an important job.

"Some people thought he was too hard. But he was acting on orders of the court. He was the court's officer," he said. "If it were not for fellows like him the court system would be very weak."

Goad's work can be dangerous, Miller said, but he has never seen Goad carry a gun.

Goad has always been "the kind of guy who wasn't scared of anything."
    Source:

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/new...l/11592447.htm

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    wow.. that is just not right. :/

Thumbs down So Sorry!

Anyone knows that when enforcing the law there will be upset people on the other side of the enforcement. I feel bad for any police, soldier, PI etc. under attack. The forces of evil have been and will be in our lifetimes. The probability for violence is in even the little things like serving law documents personally or anywhere when one is the bearer of bad news.

All we can do in life is to perform our duties with the best intentions and will.

RT

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    The same private investigator was also in the news last year:

Private investigator says woman claims to know BTK

Kim Wilhelm
    KWCH 12 Eyewitness News
    Thursday, April 1, 2004

"More than a week ago, Wichita police publicly linked Vicki Wegerle’s death to the BTK strangler. But a local private detective has evidence it’s a crime that could have been linked before now.

Hundreds of people have ties to the BTK case and Emery Goad is one of them. A year after Vicki Wegerle was murdered, her husband hired him to look into the case.

“The suspect that drove away in Vicki’s car must have passed her husband on 13th Street because he was going home for lunch,” said Goad.

But with no suspects, the case went dry. Then four years ago, Goad got a call from a woman with an unusual ex-boyfriend story.

“She said it was about 1986 and she lived with a guy who told her he was BTK,” said Goad. “He told her that he had killed Vicki Wegerle.”

Goad gave the information to Wichita police in 2000. He’s not sure if investigators found any connections. But he hopes it’s another piece of information that may help solve the crime.

“It’s probably odd from a law enforcement point of view and mine that BTK has confessed to anybody,” said Goad. “This could be a bizarre coincidence. But it is a coincidence.”

Goad says the suspect the woman names couldn’t have committed the Otero murders because he would have been too young. Four members of the Otero family were murdered in 1974 and are considered the first BTK victims.

Goad says the woman moved from Wichita two years ago. She also gave Goad a list of six other murders her ex-boyfriend claimed responsibility for. That information was also passed to police.

Source:
    http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&start=11
    And:
    http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&start=13

Mark,
    Please permit me to present a "divergent point of view" -- I FEEL SORRY for both parties... What makes me "wonder more" is the state of mind of the 76-year-old shooter, his ultimate irrational rage at losing a Rolls, or his baby, or his last TOY!!
    It's a shame that Goad was shot while trying to do his job, said Miller, who is also a former county sheriff and district attorney.

He said Goad is "tops in his field" and extremely careful about working within the law.

"He was always meticulous about court orders. He always made sure he was right before he repossessed or did anything," Miller said.
    May I also ASKED just because he's RIGHT doesn't mean it has to be HIS WAY??
    Why not, like here in California, just have the Dept. of Parking & Traffic put on a BOOT in his front tire?? And then if the Owner doesn't claim his car, it will be TOWED in broad daylight, assisted by a Cop also writing him a TICKET??

PARALLEL CASE ANALYSIS:
    Board of Supervisor Dan White SHOT and KILLED his associate Harvey Milk and then Mayor Moscone back around Thanksgiving 1978 -- all because Moscone cut his job??

It is the RAGE that we should deal with first, then the GUN...

From A Sociology Major

Because, if people know their car is going to get repossed; chances are they are going to hide the car. This way is cheaper,and probably more effective. When should the boot, be put on. Can't the person shoot whoever puts it on?

This just goes to show that there is no such thing as routine. Stay safe out there.

Ridiculous

It is a pitiful shame that Goad was doing his job not only to the best of his abilities and the best way of the law, but he was doing it as an officer of the court.

I'm not sure how the law on that sort of thing works but if Goad told the old man he had a court order to repossess the Rolls Royce and the old man shot him without the slightest bit of provocation, wouldn't that consititute sometime equivalent to 2nd degree (or even first if it can be proven) murder of a police officer (court officer should qualify if on legal business).

I hope he is doing okay, I didn't see that he was killed and I'm hoping not. Hopefully justice will be done and the old man will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

BEST
    KD

That is to much why do all of the good people that try to do there job always get hurt , but the bad guys get away with everything.

My prayers go out to his family and also himself .

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:

Thumbs down pi shot trying to repo car.

Susan please don't get me wrong i understand what you are saying, but, i was in law enforcement and state of mind came up on many cases. i told my captian, and a judge if a peson picks up a gun, and fires that gun in an attempt to wond/ or end the life of another. there state of mind should not play into a trial. after all they knew enough to pick up that gun, and fire it. i was told to prove my piont,so i did. i was put on leave for being a trouble maker. last if we are going to be good pi's some,some times it has to be our way!

Susan, to answer your question about putting a boot on the vehicle, as a former CA Police Officer, the entire incident was a civil matter and the PD nor the parking div. would get involved and put a boot on, or issue a citation. In my experience, auto repo's usually notify the PD to "keep the peace" and that's all they can do.

A Private Investigator is not an officer of the court and does not have the same privlidges and/or restrictions as a Police Officer. The suspect's frame of mind at the time will be decided by a jury. None the less, firing a weapon at a person who was taking your property is not justified since their life was not in immediate jeopardy.

It will be interesting to see how this ordeal plays out in court. Let's just hope the investigator recovers from his injuries.

Does anyone know Mr. Goad's condition at this time? Is he recovering?

I speak for my entire agency when I say, "Our prayers are with Mr. Goad and his family."

Mary

I also feel very bad I hope that you guys can keep us informed about Mr.Groad my prayers are with him and his family, know one should ever have to suffer for just doing there job.

An update as of May 12, 2005:

From a Kansas PI concerning the shooting of Mr. Goads:

As of today he has lost one lung, a portion of his stomach and his spleen.
    Still critical condition.

Mark Merithew
    Licensed Private Investigator
    CA #23688
    AZ #0403016

I will continue to keep him in my prayers . This is so awful I really feel bad for him, to suffer from doing his job.

Thumbs down pi shot

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa Bates
    I will continue to keep him in my prayers . This is so awful I really feel bad for him, to suffer from doing his job.

as a family i think we all need to keep him in our prayers, and his family.

Mark ...

Thank You for the update on Mr. Goad's condition. Please keep us PIs @ IPIU posted on his condition.

Mary Saunders

I will try very hard to inform you with any information

To Todd, Mark, past and present LEO's,
    I have to confess. I wrote my 1st post here knowing who the audience is, BUT I forgot that a REPO is a "private matter" (not civil nor criminal) dealing with a driver/car buyer who has not kept up with his payments when due... therefore no cops or traffic dept. is involved.

It is just UNFORTUNATE that two lives (& their families) will forever be changed by this incident... How can we learn from this??

Lastly, I don't know about you, but the 70-plus years old people I deal with or have encountered do not have the STABLEST minds - a property tax bill or unexpected visitors trigger ANXIETY, one moment VARIES to the next even on the same day - they repeat themselves and half-the-time they're like "fish out of water" if a family function changes to the next day minus one person...

Thumbs down A Fallin Brother

Susan, I fell bad for our p-i brother, But, I feel nothing for the man that shot him. As I have said before I was in law enforcement and I feel the police should be present in a case like this. what can we learn from this? maybe carrying a gun is not such a bad idea. many times I walked in a house w/gun in hand. I only had to fire that gun twice that's not something a cop ever want's to do. But, it was a case of either them or me. Well i'm here, and they {well they are gone} and not in jail. As far as his {the shooters} family I don't feel anything for them either. I will not be this cold on my job, But as a ex-cop/ and desert storm/shield vet you learn how to read people. (I was a cop for 3 years) That's a lot of reading. But, you also learn to pray. And that is what I will do for you, and every private investigator @ I-PI-U !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Merithew
    What i'd like to know is what his assistant, and the other person was doing. Besides wetting there selfs.

Todd,
    I somehow understand that you only have feelings for the PI, not the shooter... I agree with you totally about "self defense."

Latest thought: The U.S. Court System EXCUSES citizens over 70-years of age from jury service. I don't know the legal interpretation or its ramifications, but it certainly makes me THINK TWICE... why??

I definately don't feel bad for the man who shot Goad. However, I understand the notion of "self-defense". The crime needs to be looked at much more intricately, to see if the man had just cause to be afraid.

I think it is a shame for Goad to have been shot while he was doing his job, but there are risks involved with taking people's property, lawfully or otherwise.

I don't believe that any elderly person should be owning a gun. There are seinors out there who have had their driving priviledges revoked due to the fact that they are no longer sane enough or healthy enough to drive.

There should be cut off ages for these types of things. They're not able to make rational, sound decisions if they've been affected by disease (Alzheimer's or cancer of the brain or something like that) or old age.

BEST,
    KD

Wow that is true we also need to try and help some of the people in this world that has problems instead of talkin about them , have you notice that sometimes that few minutes may count as a lifetime I do wonder why he would shoot him for just doing his job this person may have had the world and he watch the world be taken from him and he could not deal with so responded in the wrong way ,but its sad because a person just doing his job got hurt by someting that is material and lost his lung behind something that could have been prevented. god bless his family

Update on PI shot

Private Investigator Had Troubled Past
    With Man Who Shot Him

Friends say a private investigator shot on the job, and the man accused of shooting him were no strangers.
    Emery Goad's family and friends want justice for a shooting they believe was intended to kill, based on a troubled past and what John Harper reportedly said to Goad before the shot was fired.

Source:
    http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/1574667.html

I have been so busy , is his condition stable how is he doing?

Interesting. I have just read the article that Goad and Harper knew each other and had a bad relationship. In that case, Goad should had let another person serve the papers to repossess the car! People who are dangerous today and we must take every precaution for safety. Maybe at one time they were friends, we don't really know but, someone else should have served those papers! And it is wise to give them the papers and leave. Don't give them time to go back into the house to get a gun!
    And Susan is right, that officers of the court or law enforcement doesn't repossess cars! This is a private matter! We are sorry for the pi and it is very fishy that Harper hasn't been charged because this was 1st degree attemted murder. Hunter had time to think to go and get the gun and he fired it in his trunk area to kill him! We must be very careful and this is one of the reasons why I turn some assignments down because I am a talk show host in the Twin Cities so I have to be very, very careful!

Wow I have not been able toto read anything latley do to the schedule I am working iover time to pay for all of the things I may need to pay for this license but I thought as being an investagator that they at least check there backgrounds very heavy and if they did they should have known that they were friends maybe he told him that he was going to be an invetsagator and he doubted him until he showed up to his door serving him papers who knows maybe we will be able to find out more , I would like to know more

Prayer Is The Power

He will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted on his condition. Thanks.