Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PI LICENSING: Ohio

Theodore Owens is offline * Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator

Agency Owner & Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)ber
    Having recently gone through the process Mike your quote from Paul hits it square on the head.
    THEODORE OWENS
    Chief Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Ohio Special Services Group
    Class "A" License # 2005005899
    Ohio

Thumbs up

Thanks Technical Support. You cleared things up.
    Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M Jackson Sr
    Hi Scott:

That portion of the law that allows investigations under an "Insurance" license was meant to allow employees ("Investigators") who work for insurance companies to perform investigations soley for that company. It was not meant to allow them to take on cases for their own benefit. However, an attorney can have any employee of theirs to perform investigations on behalf of the attorney. In addition, the attorney can have someone who is not licensed and hire them ad hoc for a case (not as an employee) and they would be able to perform the investigation(s) legally. Futhermore, as I understand it, OASIS and the state legislators have been working to make all bail bondsmen to come under the P.I.s. Meaning they must have a licensed P.I. either working for them or in charge of them. I can tell you that I currently have a well known bail bonsman company as one of my clients and I find where there people are and the other family member of their people, which allows them to go to the different addresses to retrive their bail jumpers. This is done with access to sophisticated databases accessible to only Licensed P.I.s and Attorneys. Having said that, I do believe that you would be in violation if you do not go through his attorney.
    Richard, In the State of Ohio can you work for an licensed agency and an attorney at the same time? Or can you only work for one person or agency at a time? I keep getting all these offers and don't know what to tell them? I currently work for a agency as a trainee, and I do not have my license yet. I have also done some research for a licensed PI out of state, but did not accept any payment for it. It was just your basic public records search. I just marked it up as experience and a learning tool. Do you think I can use those hours to send to the State of Ohio as credits? I would also like to take a few more classes, but there are no local schools available in my area for this industry. All they offer is criminal justice. Big deal! So how does one gain the knowledge, credits or experience. The only way I can think of is on the job experience.

Any tips from anyone are greatly appreciated. And good luck to all of those whom are new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Marecz-Adams
    can you work for an licensed agency and an attorney at the same time?
    Answer: Yes, if both firms are based in Ohio. Otherwise, out of state firms may require you to be licensed in your name, depending on the types of assignments. This is left up to the agency or the attorney when you apply.

can you only work for one person or agency at a time?
    It depends on the types of cases. For regulated cases, an unlicensed employee can work for more than one licensed Ohio firm. And unlicensed independent contractor should only perform unregulated cases, which are the Ohio Exemptions to licensing, such as Intergrity Cases (or mystery shopping), auditing, courthouse retrievals, background checks, etc.

I keep getting all these offers and don't know what to tell them?
    Just follow their suggestions after you provide them with your unlicensed status. They know their business.

I currently work for a agency as a trainee, and I do not have my license yet.
    That is good and within the law.

I have also done some research for a licensed PI out of state, but did not accept any payment for it. It was just your basic public records search. I just marked it up as experience and a learning tool.
    You could have charged for that case because "research" is an unregulated assignment that does not require a PI License. Again, read the Exemptions.

Do you think I can use those hours to send to the State of Ohio as credits?
    By itself, no. But yes, document all of your assignments, bith regulated under another license, and unregulated "research, etc" because when it is all added up, the board of licensing can make that decision to count your entire record as long as it is documented fully.

I would also like to take a few more classes, but there are no local schools available in my area for this industry. All they offer is criminal justice. Big deal! So how does one gain the knowledge, credits or experience. The only way I can think of is on the job experience.
    When you obtain your Level 4 access, there are over 150 agency and firms that can both use you as well as provide you with experience.

Advance Education is available at the following IPIU Bookstore:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=21

As mentioned, Bail Enforcement and Private Investigations are very close. You may wish to consider the Bail Enforcement Advanced Studies, which includes examination and academic certification:

COMPLETE BOUNTY HUNTER KIT

Sincerely,

Cynthia

Comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice and you should not act and should refrain from acting based, in whole or in part, on suggested comments. If needed, please consult an attorney in your area for specific laws related to the issue at hand.

Membership re: IPIU vs OASIS

Is membership in IPIU going to provide any "up" to obtaining membership in OASIS?
    I read the licensing rules regarding licensing in Ohio and seeing that a Ohio PI license now costs $375 - my heart sank!
    It seems reasonable to pay the IPIU membership for what is provided and offered. However, now that I see I also would be faced with a $375 payment to become licensed, I begin second guessing myself on how it will be feasible for me as I move along this path.
    Can you shed some light on this?

Hello, I am somewhat new to these forums. However, as a Licensed Ohio Private Investigator, I am compelled to bring everyone up to date on this issue. As September 4, 2004, ALL Private Investigators and Security Guard Providers are under the umbrella of the Ohio Department of Public Safety through the Office of Homeland Security. Having said that, there are a number of changes taking affect to the laws of licensing of each. Now, I have read some of the post in this forum talking about doing work for private clients that fall outside the realm of the current law. THAT IS BEING CHANGED!!! No longer will businesses and individuals be able to perform this work without being licensed. I for one, totaly agree with this. As a member of OASIS, which is the reconized professional organization of private investigators and security gaurd providers in the state of Ohio, a close watch will be placed in the industry to seek out and prosecute those who are practicing investigations without a license. Currently, the Director of Homeland Security has prosecuted 6 individuals within the last few weeks for such a thing and he states he will keep doing so until EVERYONE knows that you MUST HAVE A LICENSE TO PRACTICE INVESTIGATIONS IN OHIO, with only a few of the 18 exceptions that you saw listed above.

The exceptions that most likely will remain will be "engaged in the practice of law" or working for someone who is. It is still a toss up regarding "Independent Insurance Adjusters". However, "Process Servers" and "Background Checks" will more than likely be gone within the next year or so. The jury is still out on the others. Basicly, just as the attorneys have the lock down on the practice of law, investigators are starting to do the same. Also, the Director of Homeland Security has hired investigators to work for his office in each of the 88 counties in Ohio to investigate any and all companies currently practicing "Process Serving and Background Checks" to advise them of the need to get licensed within the next year or so. He is also letting them know that if they don't, they will be prosecuted.

EXTREMELY helpful

This has been extremely educational ...
    Knowing the Ohio PI licensing fee is $375 was an awakening for me.
    Thanks for all the information shared here.

Sorry Bob! I did not mean to scare you but I am concerned about those who finish their training here with IPIU and believe that at that point, they can call themselves "Private Investigators" in Ohio. They must know that they still must meet the requirements in Ohio for licensing and then get licensed in order to take cases on their own. Anything short of that, is practicing without a license and will land them in jail in Ohio.

I have a question regarding the experience requirement in Ohio. What is considered acceptable experience? Would my four years of retail investigation experience relevant?

I also have a question regarding insurance investigations and licensing. Would someone need to have a private investigator license to do insurance surveillance in Ohio if the company is located in a different state?

Thank you for any input you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Buchanan
    I have a question regarding the experience requirement in Ohio. What is considered acceptable experience? Would my four years of retail investigation experience relevant?

I also have a question regarding insurance investigations and licensing. Would someone need to have a private investigator license to do insurance surveillance in Ohio if the company is located in a different state?

Thank you for any input you may have.

I would say that it meets the requirement(s). However, maybe you might want to run that question by Ohio DPS PI/SG section. Below is their website:

http://www.homelandsecurity.ohio.gov/hls.asp

Or you can try to call them at 614-466-4130.

Hope that gets you to the right place.
    THEODORE OWENS
    Chief Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Ohio

Constance Stacy - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

PI Licensing: Ohio

Thank you for this information, I just moved back to Ohio and this will help greatly.

Marko Samson

I thought the license that IPIU gave out were for trainees and that you were supposed to use this as a stepping stone to getting your license in whatever state you lived by filling out your resume's and handing them into private investigative company's as a trainee. Am I getting this right or not. Isn't IPIU supposed to get your foot in the door by letting you say that you are part of the union.

Thank you ,the information was invaluable.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks for the information. I may be relocating from the wonderful Jersey Pine Barrens to Cincinnati, OH.

At least the laws in Ohio make some sense.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Stormy Renner - is offline *** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum
    OK - I've read this before and thought that I could not take the test until I had 2000 hours of investigative work in. I also thought that I was not included in the exemptions by what I do in my current job.

HOWEVER, by reading this over again more closely, I believe that I am one of the exemptions and CAN take the test now. I am a licensed P&C insurance agent and have well over the required number of hours since I've been working there for close to 7 years!! I am going to call on Monday just to make sure and hopefully set up a date to take that puppy!

Now watch, since I am all pumped up about it....they will say I can't. My luck.
    Stormy Dawn Renner
    Private Investigator
    License # 200621001131

Stormy Renner - is offline *** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum
    Good news,
    I am being sent an application and after I send it in along with the electronic fringerprinting - I'll be given a date and time to take the test. I am going to be going over everything and making sure I am ready.
    Stormy Dawn Renner
    Private Investigator
    License # 200621001131

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Renner
    OK - I've read this before and thought that I could not take the test until I had 2000 hours of investigative work in. I also thought that I was not included in the exemptions by what I do in my current job.

HOWEVER, by reading this over again more closely, I believe that I am one of the exemptions and CAN take the test now. ...
    Stormy,

I see by the popst after this one that they sent you an application. GREAT!

I think you stressed one of the key features in the business - "... reading ... over again more closely,".

You will ace the test.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

DJ Moran -- is offline Sr. Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

Thumbs up Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Renner
    Good news,
    I am being sent an application and after I send it in along with the electronic fringerprinting - I'll be given a date and time to take the test. I am going to be going over everything and making sure I am ready.
    Stormy,

The news is GREAT!

Good Luck to you!

Diana Fleischman is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Re: PI LICENSING: Ohio

As a Private Investigator Trainee (independent contractor) while contracting off and on to ie: Attorneys or Law Enforcement Agencies or Insurance Co. I understand we don't need a license however; if we would like to contract as a trainee on the Internet (only) must we be licensed? I understand some States do not require a license ie: Co however; I understand that the Colorado Gold Program is excellent.

Diana Post # 1 is very informative for your question 1 alternative I have found is to go ahead and get my Insurance Series 6 and 60 and apply with a insurance company as a insurance adjuster I have already taken multiple Insurance continuing Education courses but they will not apply till I get licensed in Insurance I am going to use my Integrity Investigation and Other cases that I have performed as my Investigative Experience I am also going to include investigating experience that I perform from my employer for the past 2 years I personally think this can prove to be a very promising route to my personal venture I would also recomend you look at Colorado Gold program it is also very infomative I have signed up and they have very helpful

WOW!! this is definatly a lot of good info.

Has anyone heard or have an update on Ohio Licensing?
    Even after you read the requirements on Homeland Security - it's so confusing!!

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Adams View Post
    Michelle,

I know exactly how you feel, lol. I always say, if I was to understand the 'written' laws better, I would be a lawyer, lol.

I guess, the most important part is that you understand, there are exemptions. Meaning, you don't need to be licensed to complete those. If you fall into any of the above mentioned categories, you can do the job. The ultimate... get a license. Until you do, I would get any job that is offered to you (after applying), no matter how small, to get experience.

I hope this helped you for now. I am sure, someone else will drop in on you that is able to explain it better

Michelle,

Contact me offline. Google my name or company name. I can explain the procedures for licensing in Ohio better or answer any questions you may have.

Ted
    THEODORE OWENS
    Chief Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Ohio

Thank you for the information. I have already worked with an agency and have various experience. I have earn several hundred hours over the years, but still short. I still need to complete my test here and update my ID. Then I will continue my journey.

I have called Homeland Security here in Ohio, but get conflicting information from their office. So I was hoping someone here who has a license could explain it.

Thank you all for your responses and info. I "Think" I have all of my questions answered.

Highest regards & thanks again!

PS My goal? My license!!!

Michelle,

Having been in the defense business for almost four decades, I have seen a few good federal government offices and lots of bad ones. I thought nothing could get any worse than Dept of Energy when they were formed--mistake. Dept of Homeland Security scares me almost as much as Obama does. Homeland Security is so mismanaged.

Yes, I have ADDED the new resources and home page to Post #1 of this topic. Please go to the following link and review the changes and the three new links under NEW RESOURCES:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...4426#post14426
    Please post whatever items you need clarification on. We are here to help, but the help must be in writing so as to give you a resource to rely on.

TIP: Never speak to anyone at any licensing department about state law. Verbal assurances do not stand up to written law. Everyone has an opinion, but you should rely on statutes.

I agree - Thank you so very much
    Regards from Ohio

ok interested i becoming a PI.how do i get licenced.as i understand it i must have around 2 years experience.if i go to school for say an associates in criminal justice would that count as experiance at all.is there any schooling to count for experiance.also how do you get experiance in a field u have none in.what are the requirements to work for say a law firm as a private I.how do u get started in the bussines at an entry level.also if anyone would happen to know of any firms or businesses that might be looking for enry level or apprentice.also are there apprentice programs and where might i find info on them.wow lots of questions sorry.any help would be appreciated

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hoffman View Post
    ok interested i becoming a PI.how do i get licenced.as i understand it i must have around 2 years experience.if i go to school for say an associates in criminal justice would that count as experiance at all.is there any schooling to count for experiance.also how do you get experiance in a field u have none in.what are the requirements to work for say a law firm as a private I.how do u get started in the bussines at an entry level.also if anyone would happen to know of any firms or businesses that might be looking for enry level or apprentice.also are there apprentice programs and where might i find info on them.wow lots of questions sorry.any help would be appreciated
    Jason,

Start by authoring yourself an introduction topic in the Forum Member Introduction Lounge. Other members will come by there to welcome you properly and give you links to look at then Once you've browsed the forums a bit, you will find your answers... and if not, your intro will be the place to ask.

I'll see you in your intro Take care.

Jennifer Smith is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

As an Ohio licensed PI, I can absolutely say YOU WILL have more job opportunities!! And better pay. However, be careful that you understand the OH laws for PI's. Firstly, you must have 4000 hours to hold your own license or two years experience in law enforcement or military, or a sponsor (you'll also hear this referred to as an Employer when you talk to certain people in the HSODS licensing office). The licensing division of the Ohio Dept. of Safety website has all the information you need, but don't hesitate to call them for a one on one for any questions.

Sub contracting jobs DO NOT count toward you're hours. Ohio frowns on your working for any agency that does not have you on payroll (pays your taxes, Soc. Sec., etc.). You can work for and be licensed under as many agencies as you want.

Religiously check IPIU's job boards and threads for job opportunities. If you are wanting to perform surveillance or perform SIU or Interviews for legal purposes YOU MUST HAVE A LICENSE. The same if you want to solicit your own accounts.

Another great benefit to getting licensed through and agency as a trainee or employee is that if your agency carries all the liability so will only offer you work you can legal do while your clocking your hours and gaining experience. My employer even paid not only for my OH license but my PA license too! And I get steady work in other states too that allow PI's to work on those licenses by reciperocity.

Final thought- It's your call on wheather to get licensed or not, but I urge you not to jeapordize your future opportunities and income (reputation and quality of work are EVERYTHING in this business!) for a quick buck. It does take time to get established and earn your chops but it's worth it. Get the facts, ask questions, and don't be afraid to call the licensing division or more experienced PI's in OH. I've been doing this for about 2 and half years, and last year I broke 50K, so far this year I'm on course to earn closer to 100K.

Be safe, be legal, and be profitable!!
    Jenn Smith

Ginney Griswold is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Do you really need security Guard state license if you already have P.I.license? And are there a site or a list of jobs available for P.I.work in Ohio or a list of homeland security guard jobs in Ohio, how do u apply and get applications in order to apply for these jobs in Ohio

Diana Fleischman is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Hello Jenn,

I just finished reading your thread above and I have a question. You mentioned if you have at least 2 years of experience in law enforcement or the military you may get your P.I. license is that correct? please would you explain how to do this if I understand this to be correct?

Thanks,

Diana Fleischman

Ginney Griswold is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

I askes if a person has to have a P.I. license to do homeland security work and does anyone know of anyone here in ohio that is hiring for p.i. work or homeland security work and how would I apply for those jobs or seek a application, thanks, Gin

Originally posted by Jason Pelaez on 02-06-10:

"I am wondering if I meet the minimal criteria to apply to for my Ohio Private Investigator license. I have been a claims adjuster for my Insurance company for over two years. My first year, I was the classic claims adjuster for my city. I was then offered a Sr. Level Multi State Claims Represenative position. In this position, I currently investigate coverage, liability, and look for fraud indicators for investigation on in the claim. I am also a fourth year student from Kaplan University in the field of Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Fraud and Investigation."
    Operations Dept

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 800-548-1526

Originally posted by Jennifer Smith on 02-07-10:

"ODS-HLS does not list claims adjuster as a qualified exemption such as Military and Police. But I will say in my experience of working with them to obtain my license (still working on it!! Don't expect it to be processed in a couple of weeks!) they are VERY willing to answer any questions, and are very easy to reach call 614-451-4637, that is the direct number for the licensing division. Having a criminal justice degree is a great asset for job hunting, but really doesn't come in to play with licensing. I highly encouarge getting the degree, but it is also EXCEPTIONALLY important to get the OJT you will only get in the field. ODS-HLS usually requires your hours to be as a licensed PI under employment of a State Licensed (any state) agency for 4000 hours over a 2 year period. If you find you don't meet the requirements with ODS-HLS with your current job history, try getting your agency license in a less stringently regulated state (PA is easy, but very confusing to get to who you need to deal with, there is a different person per county and one overall civilian that records everything) and then apply for your Ohio License as an out of state or branch office license. Ohio is a great state to get licensed in, and I have found most states will basically grant you license in their state with just the submission of the fee and application if you are licensed in Ohio. But be patient, it is a government process.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress."
    Operations Dept

START WITH TRUST

"Originally Posted by Diana Fleischman View Post
    Hello Jenn,

I just finished reading your thread above and I have a question. You mentioned if you have at least 2 years of experience in law enforcement or the military you may get your P.I. license is that correct? please would you explain how to do this if I understand this to be correct?

Thanks,

Diana Fleischman

Diana,

So sorry to take so long to get to answering this, I've been slammed with work- which is great!! To answer your question, YES- if you are/were in the Military or Law Enforcement (actively, not as a civilian employee) you do not have to meet the hours requirement to apply. EVERYONE must complete an application (go to http://homelandsecurity.ohio.gov/ohs_pisg.stm for ALL forms and instructions), have your fingerprints/BCI background completed (links are available from the previous site as well), supply 5 character reference letters, a copy of your Insurane binder, and supply a 2x2 pic. If you are applying based on your military or law enforcement background you will need to provide proof, just as if you are applying based on hours you need to provided all companies and contact info to verify.

Best of luck!
    Jenn"
    Operations Dept

START WITH TRUST

"Originally Posted by Ginger Griswold View Post
    I askes if a person has to have a P.I. license to do homeland security work and does anyone know of anyone here in ohio that is hiring for p.i. work or homeland security work and how would I apply for those jobs or seek a application, thanks, Gin
    Ginger,

Firstly keep hitting the IPIU job boards!! That's where I got my start and it's invaluable! There are TONS of forums for PI's but cruising the IPIU forums and learning from your fellow members is really the greatest way to get the juices flowing and get creative about where to look, and you'll hear from others where NOT to look! If you have a PI or PI Trainee resume distribute it to local attorney's and post it on EVERY free site possible! If you don't have one- GET ONE!

Best of luck,
    Jenn"
    Operations Dept

START WITH TRUST

Ms Tina Frank is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Hello everyone. I do have some questions regarding qualified experience to obtain your PI license in Ohio.

I have 7 years of correction officer experience, and have done some integrity investigations and also some assignments for RQA.

I am in my second year to obtain my bachelors in Criminal Justice.

Would this constitute qualified hours to obtain my license?

It is so hard to get any type of experience in my area as a trainee.

Also have the same question as Tracy, do you have to have a license to work for the BWC?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Hi Tina,

The ones that can really best answer your questions is the PI/SG section of Ohio Department of Homeland Security in Columbus. My LEO experience qualified me for my license.

Next, BWC has their own SIU section for their fraud investigations. Currently they have not "privatized" their investigations.

If you need more info feel free to contact me offline at my company.
    THEODORE OWENS
    Chief Investigator
    Agency Owner
    Ohio

Ms Tina Frank is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Thank you Theodore. I really appreciate that information.

It's funny because every investigator job I have applied for states you must have some type of experience. How do you get that experience if they all want experience?! LOL.

And I look everywhere, believe me. I get daily emails from Indeed, Jacob Peebles, Get Investigator Jobs all of them.

Thank you again for this information, very helpful to me.

Tina Frank

Potential changes to the Ohio PI Statutes:

http://www.homelandsecurity.ohio.gov...s_05-12-10.pdf

Not yet approved, but they are thinking about it.
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST

Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3