Thread: Chinese women seek PI's in China

Post Chinese women seek PI's in China

PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS & 'THE MISTRESS KILLERS'
    Chinese Women who want a divorce and money - are seeking help.

Hi all to the forum.

I have just recently read an article on marital investigations in the Peoples Republic of China. The two page article from Newsweek tells of a Chinese woman who contracted a Private Detective Agency in the province of Sichuan. She found a cheating spouse in a room of a hotel that both the husband and wife own.

The article talks briefly about how the domestic case investigations in China have taken off in recent years.

Ten days after He Yuxiu hired the Sherlock Holmes agency, the firm called with bittersweet news: investigators had found what she was looking for. Get to the guesthouse as soon as possible, one agent told He. She didn't need to hear the address. The Sichuan housewife and her husband, Wen Youming, were joint owners of a little lodging place in Sichuan's capital, Chengdu.

A local TV crew was at the house when He arrived, brought in by Holmes to catch the whole scene on camera. The group kicked down the bedroom door. Inside, He's husband was with a petite young woman Wen called his "business partner." The pair was buck naked. "Today I got you both!" yelled He.

The camera crew's footage turned the sad-eyed matron into a hero for many local women. Late last year it became one of the first videotapes ever accepted as evidence in a Chinese divorce court. A reality law show on Sichuan Television got a hold of the tape and devoted an episode to He's case.

"I didn't want to have to catch them," she says of her husband and his mistress. Still, everyone had warned the wronged woman she had no hope of winning a fair division of assets without irrefutable proof of Wen's wrongdoing. The law used to make poverty just about inevitable for a wife who wanted out of her marriage, no matter how monstrously the husband behaved.

China's amended Marriage Law of 2001 made it possible to win a decent settlement, but solid evidence is still essential, except in uncontested cases—and those remain rare.

"So women come to us," says Dr. Zhang Changyun. Three years ago he and a former police detective opened the Sherlock Holmes agency in Chengdu. The total number of similar firms across China is estimated at 1,000.

They tend to call themselves "investigative consultants" or "evidence collectors": China's laws forbid many activities routinely associated with PI work, and a 1993 police ordinance bans private detectives outright. The firms are lobbying for legal recognition, but even now they can usually count on being left alone as long as they keep a low profile.

The splashiest PI firm in China used to be one known as Debang (a play on 007's name in Chinese). The local press portrayed the agency as an ex-wives-only band of "mistress-killers," ritually sworn to vengeance against all two-timing husbands. The pulp-fiction image was great for business.

In its first year, Debang took on 3,700 cases in Chengdu, a contender for the title of China's infidelity capital. Late last year the company expanded to three other cities, including Shanghai. That's where the trouble started. City authorities ordered the agency to suspend all marital investigations, citing allegations of unlicensed business practices, misrepresentation, overcharging and possible extortion.

Many observers say the company's real problem was not so much its business practices as its publicity-fed reputation for man hating. Last month the agency quietly resumed business as a consulting service, telling women how to get the goods themselves.

He Yuxiu won her case — at least in court. Her husband of 20 years tried to argue that he and his lady friend were merely "doing business." The judge rolled his eyes and awarded He two properties plus $1,200 for mental distress.

In real life, she says, "I lost." Her husband got the guesthouse, two meat shops and both kids. Chinese law routinely gives custody to the father.

Alone and with no source of regular income, ex-wife He has retreated from Chengdu to the unfurnished concrete dwelling where she began married life, 50 miles from town. Not even Sherlock Holmes can get those 20 years back.

Source:
    Click here

Interesting... My girlfriend is from China, I'll have to pass it along to her. I'm sure she'll be glad to see any changes to the status quoe.

Ashley Mayne-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forums
    I have associates in China and thier agencies are reputable and honest. I also enjoy thier humour

ASHLEY MAYNE
    Licensed Private Investigator (Vic.AU)
    Victoria, Australia