Thread: Experience count toward Licensing?

Background Checks

My question is.......... I started a business 2 years ago conducting background checks for area companies. Before starting this business I had my attorney check this out to make sure I did not have to have a private investigators license to do this. He stated that I was allowed to report to companies I have contracted with under the Fair Credit Reporting Act Section 604 15 USC 1681b Permissible Purposes Sub Section 3 B and I was using Public Information. He instructed me to make sure I had the company require the applicant to sign a release to conduct a background check and to carry insurance for the company. Also I would need to apply for a Federal ID number and it might be a good idea to Incorporate. He also stated that there were other sections in the FCRA that this business would fall under and he didnt see a problem with it. Well being a judge at one time like he was, and being a very good attorney I decided to start the company. Well its been 2 yrs now and I have learned alot. Its been a great business and have had no problems ....knock on wood.
    My question is : Since I have had experience in this line of work, can this count as time spent to aquire my license. I am really wanting to get my license here in Ohio. I do have some college background and have checked into obtaining my license.
    Thank You for any response.

P.S. I have signed up for the trainee program at this site. I am so glad I found this site. I feel you can never learn enough and I'm really looking forward to everything that this site has to offer and what I have learned over the years to share. Thanks to everyone that has made this site what it is....GOOD JOB!!!
    Last edited by R. Earle Goode -; 02-06-2002 at 11:39 AM.
    R.E. Goode

Sounds like a good question for the legal department to me.

Personally, I would say it probably would count, but that is just a guess. The legal dept. are the ones to give you a difinitive answer.

Good luck in your pursuit and WELCOME TO THE BOARDS !
    Kathy S. Rogers

Earle,

Yes the experience counts at the time your application is reviewed by the licensing board. However, it have have to be appealed, but that's okay.

Order two items from the board:

1) An individual PI license app;

2) An Ageny application as a non licensed owner. This is the easiest to qualify for, because all that's needed generally is to name a licensed PI as your "manager".
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Wink Thank You

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for the welcome I see your from Indiana. I was born and raised in Indianapolis. I really loved it there, but I really like it where I am now also. Thanks again....Earle
    R.E. Goode

Kathy,

Thanks so much for helping out on the forums. I edited your reply to relieve Legal Affairs from handling a subject that should be posted for all to see in the Licensing Forum here.

(By the way, your name came across my desk as a possible nomination for either Forum Guide or Moderator training. If you're interested, send an email to Julia Ann Stewart at stewart@ipiu.org for follow up. You seem to have some excellent skills as well as a caring heart to help others).

Robert
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Smile Thank You

Thanks Robert..........I will get on it ASAP Thanks again for the help...................Earle
    R.E. Goode

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    I would agree with Robert, Kathy. It may be something to consider. I think you would be an excellent guide and/or moderator.

WRL

Originally posted by R. Earle Goode
    Hi Kathy,

Thank you for the welcome I see your from Indiana. I was born and raised in Indianapolis. I really loved it there, but I really like it where I am now also. Thanks again....Earle
    Then we're both Indy transplants. I was born in Indy, but the adoption laws prevented you from being adopted in the same county that you were born in, so I was moved to Greene County and adopted from here. Outside of a 13 year stint in the next county during my marriage, I've been here all my life.

If you ever get back over this way, let me know. Maybe we could meet somewhere and say hello.
    Kathy S. Rogers

Wink I'll remember that

Hey Kathy,

I will remember that the next time I get over that way. I still have family there that I visit from time to time. Two of my cousins are with the Indianapolis police dept and one with the Lawrence police dept. See ya later..............Earle
    R.E. Goode

ROBERT AND BILL

Originally posted by William R. Larson
    I would agree with Robert, Kathy. It may be something to consider. I think you would be an excellent guide and/or moderator.

WRL
    Okay! OKAY! I give! The e-mail is on it's way!

Sincerely though, thanks. After more than a decade of listening to someone complain day in and day out about how stupid you are and how you'll never amount to anything, it's nice to know not everyone agrees.
    Kathy S. Rogers

Julia Kieran

This goes to show you that doing your own investigative work is so important and that if you do it well, it pays off. You should always investigate before investing in anything this important and making sure you are following the laws and taking the proper measures to ensure success have clearly paid off for Earle. Congratulations and best of luck- Thanks for the information.