Thread: PA Laws on Bounty Hunters

PA Laws on Bounty Hunters

I am still unsure what the laws are in PA about Bounty hunters. I did however talk to a Detective at the Fayette County Court House about registering as a Private Detective. He said that you had to be a Police Officer for three years with the rank as Corporal. I have two questions, 1) What is the difference between a Private Detective and a Private Investigator and 2) What are the PA laws on Bounty Hunters? because I have recieved different answers to both questions and I am confused on who to listen to on this matter.

Tim Z

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Zebley
    I am still unsure what the laws are in PA about Bounty hunters. I did however talk to a Detective at the Fayette County Court House about registering as a Private Detective. He said that you had to be a Police Officer for three years with the rank as Corporal. I have two questions, 1) What is the difference between a Private Detective and a Private Investigator and 2) What are the PA laws on Bounty Hunters? because I have recieved different answers to both questions and I am confused on who to listen to on this matter.

Tim Z
    Tim;
    I suggest you do a search on Bounty Hunting. As to the statements from the detective, they are patently false. Check out the licensing forums.

Bounty Hunting Questions

I recieved my PI Credentials from the IPIU and I would like to get started as a Bail Enforcement Agent. MY question is what is the next step? Do I just contact a few Bailbonds Companies or just go to the court house and look at records on who has jumped bail? I underestand the Act 235 in PA needs to be completed before anything. But the job I have now I can barely afford my bills. So how am I going to pay the $425.00? My problem I guess. But if anyone can help clarify some of this for me, I would appreciate it.

Tim Zebley

Tim,

I have been doing major research into bounty hunting/fugitive recovery in PA. There are no license or certification requirements in PA. The only requirement is that you take a course on bounty hunting. There are a few plces around that offer courses. One is in Fayette County and the other is in McKean County. There are also other places that offer ACT 235 training and offensive/defensive moves and personal survival in Allegheny County. Hope this helps.

Brian Tiani

Thumbs up Brian

Brian,

I talked with a certain Detective here in the Uniontown PA courthouse and he said that in order to regester as a Private Detective in PA you have to have atleast three years on the Police Force with a rank of Corperal and have a certain amount of time Investigation experience. I have found however that there is a way around this. By going to a state that has no requirements and get the experience that way. Then move back to PA and use that experience to register.

Thanks,

Timothy Zebley

Some Info

Not sure where your at with your interest but if you would like a quick easy way into bounty hunting your best bet would be to call Liberty Bail Bonds here in Pittsburgh you need Nothing and they have their own people which are called FRT's Fugtive Recovery Team. Give them a call and express your interest and I am sure they would gladly help you out. I am a Police Officer and have worked directly with them if you have any specifice questions just ask I would glad help you out and would be much easier to point ya in the right direction.

Thumbs up

That's what I like to see, Dave. Members helping members

Thumbs up Thanks Dave

Dave,

I would appreciate the help. I will be in contact with the company sometime soon. Thanks for the heads up in the matter. Sorry it has been awhile since I have posted. Been trying new things. LOL. Thanks Again.

Tim Z

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Presto
    Not sure where your at with your interest but if you would like a quick easy way into bounty hunting your best bet would be to call Liberty Bail Bonds here in Pittsburgh you need Nothing and they have their own people which are called FRT's Fugtive Recovery Team. Give them a call and express your interest and I am sure they would gladly help you out. I am a Police Officer and have worked directly with them if you have any specifice questions just ask I would glad help you out and would be much easier to point ya in the right direction.
    Hello Mr. Presto,

My family will be moving to PA soon.

I am interested in what you mentioned about (FRT). I would like to find out more about Fugitive Recovery. MEN or Women applicants.

FPorter Recovery Services

Thumbs up Welcome to PA Mrs. Porter

Mrs Porter,

First I would like to say congradulations, PA is a very nice state. Reminds me of some of the quiet places you only read about in books. Second, Mr. Presto was right. This company is sincere about helping people starting out. Their webpage is www.lbail.com or .org. Third, I am actually talking to an Army recruiter. This I can say will definately help me in the long run with becoming a Bail Enforcement Agent. If there is anything I can help you with feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Tim Zebley

I live about 5 hours away from Pittsburgh but I'm going to give the Liberty Place a call anyways and ask them for a few tips. Thanks you Dave.

Re: PA Laws on Bounty Hunters

First i am a bounty hunter in PA and u do not need any licensing. Second, to work with Liberty Bail Bonds you DO however need to be insured BY THE STATE. Which means you will need to be in Law Enforcement as either State official, cop, or P.I.

MY question to IPIU is, will being a "trainee" give me any kind of needed "insurance" for such companies? and what about if i am a PI in CO (in your co program?)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Beddingfield
    First i am a bounty hunter in PA and u do not need any licensing. Second, to work with Liberty Bail Bonds you DO however need to be insured BY THE STATE. Which means you will need to be in Law Enforcement as either State official, cop, or P.I.

MY question to IPIU is, will being a "trainee" give me any kind of needed "insurance" for such companies? and what about if i am a PI in CO (in your co program?)
    Thanks for the question, Alan.

IPIU includes bounty hunters, but nearly all of them joined IPIU to become a private investigator for the more reliable work and earnings. They found that becoming good at investigations improved their hunting skills for bail jumpers.

I suggest becoming a private investigator so that you can use your investigative skills to improve your bounty hunter results. And then consider picking and choosing what types of cases you want to consider that will also open doors to more bounty hunter work.

The insurance you need to work for a bail agency is not provided by IPIU, but once you become a union member you will find a whole area of our discussion forums dedicated to offer free help in getting insurance or licensing. Our resources are vast in the Members Only area. They are designed to make our union dues look very inexpensive in exchange for what you will receive over the year.

The Colorado Headquarters Plan for setting up your base of operations is an excellent program and is not offered by anyone in this industry except IPIU. The person you need to speak to will be back next Monday and he is the expert on getting the free details for you. Please email gary.sumner@ipiu.org your name and phone number and the best time of day he can call you. You will be amazed.

In the meantime, visit our secured site at the following link for a very good look at our mid-level plan:

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...roducts_id=700

The following link is the Economy Plan for the Colorado Package:

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...roducts_id=991

And what Gary can help you with is a package that offers both of the above, but includes getting your Colorado State Corporation License to operate as a PI Agency.

All my best,

Robert
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Interesting topic. Glad to hear all the support out here in PA. I just moved to town, I would love to find a company that is looking for someone who is motivated, experienced (to a degree in law enforcement.) an ready to work. I will check out the bail bonds company. Thanks for all the information!
    G. Harrington

Re: Bounty Hunting Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Zebley View Post
    I recieved my PI Credentials from the IPIU and I would like to get started as a Bail Enforcement Agent. MY question is what is the next step? Do I just contact a few Bailbonds Companies or just go to the court house and look at records on who has jumped bail? I underestand the Act 235 in PA needs to be completed before anything. But the job I have now I can barely afford my bills. So how am I going to pay the $425.00? My problem I guess. But if anyone can help clarify some of this for me, I would appreciate it.

Tim Zebley

Hello Tim, (edited) and i will take you where you need to go, detectives don't like to give the information due to intimidation, detectives and some police officers in the counties have insecurities, philadelphia police officers have more respect and are more educated in law and they believe in strength in numbers and every badge is family.

From my website: my background is- Tactical Enforcement Agent under the #235 program, Fugitive Recovery Agent S.W.A.T. and Investigator, Member of the Fraternal Order of Police and Freemason in lodge Herbert E. Millen #151 Police Lodge, Member of a United States Bail Enforcement Association and I.P.I.U. Management Member, i got all the information from my connections who i can trust and i found out some secrets certain law enforcement officials don't want leaked out. Contact me soon, I will take care of you buddy, I will give you a number and we will talk.

I accumulated all of these credentials etc. in a three year period, look how far i am now, three years ago i was a mixed martial arts trainer which i started at the age of 4 years old and now i am 47, bouncer at rockclubs and drug dealer riddled clubs, computer investigator, campus police officer unarmed.

I have the credentials to train in bail enforcement and trust me i won't charge any outrages prices, I am an individual who want to give an opportunity like i was given.

I also need a partner so contact me soon.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Saunders View Post
    I.P.I.U. Management Member, .
    Jerome, please read this:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...189#post462189

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Hello Tim, (edited) and i will take you where you need to go, detectives don't like to give the information due to intimidation, detectives and some police officers in the counties have insecurities, philadelphia police officers have more respect and are more educated in law and they believe in strength in numbers and every badge is family.

From my website: my background is- Tactical Enforcement Agent under the #235 program, Fugitive Recovery Agent S.W.A.T. and Investigator, Member of the Fraternal Order of Police and Freemason in lodge Herbert E. Millen #151 Police Lodge, Member of a United States Bail Enforcement Association and I.P.I.U. Management Member, i got all the information from my connections who i can trust and i found out some secrets certain law enforcement officials don't want leaked out. Contact me soon, I will take care of you buddy, I will give you a number and we will talk.

I accumulated all of these credentials etc. in a three year period, look how far i am now, three years ago i was a mixed martial arts trainer which i started at the age of 4 years old and now i am 47, bouncer at rockclubs and drug dealer riddled clubs, computer investigator, campus police officer unarmed.

I have the credentials to train in bail enforcement and trust me i won't charge any outrages prices, I am an individual who want to give an opportunity like i was given.

Jerome I am looking to get into bounty hunting I live in pa. Give me a shout so we can maybe talk.
    Last edited by Robert Munson; 05-21-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Forum Rules

Robert Munson is offline **

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Perez View Post
    Jerome I am looking to get into bounty hunting I live in pa. Give me a shout so we can maybe talk.
    Alex,

Sorry, but I had to edit your city from your post. The postings of your city and contact details is only permitted by the forum rules if you have an upgraded Signature (which is free). You may request a free upgrade to your forum signature by reading the application instructions at the following link :

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19427

Thanks. I have a question: anyone know besides having your act 235 in pa, what other licensing or training do you need to become a bounty hunter in Pennsylvania? I know in the past postings its a little sketchy as to what else you need.

Israel Pellot - is offline (E)

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hi Jerome,
    I have been interested in the Recovery Services field and Private Investigation field. i would like to forward you my resume so you may perhaps review and advise what may be my next steps. If you have a chance, email me at israel.pellot@yahoo.com. I welcome words of guidance from someone with your experience.
    Respectfully,
    Izy