PI LICENSING: Nebraska

THERE MAY BE 2 OR MORE PAGES
    to this Topic!

Make sure you click on the Page Number at
    the bottom and top of this Topic.

NO LICENSE NEEDED,
    IF WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING
    :
    1. No License Needed for: An employee in the regular course of the employee's employment, engaged in investigating matters pertinent to the business of his or her non-detective company employer or protecting property in the possession of his or her non-detective company employer, provided the employer is deducting all applicable state and federal employment taxes on behalf of the employee and neither the non-detective company employer nor the employee is employed by, associated with, or acting for or on behalf of any private detective or security guard provider;

2. No License Needed for: Attorneys at law or any expert hired by an attorney at law for consultation or litigation purposes;

3. No License Needed for: Any person residing in this state who, for hire or otherwise, conducts research for the purpose of locating persons to whom the state owes money in the form of warrants, that the state voided but subsequently reissues.

4. No License Needed for: Any person residing in this state who conducts research for the purpose of locating the last known owner of unclaimed funds, provided that the person is in compliance with applicable rules adopted thereunder. The exemption set forth in this section applies only to the extent that the person is conducting research for the purpose of locating the last known owner of unclaimed funds.

5. No License Needed for: Any better business bureau or similar organization or any of its employees while engaged in the maintenance of the quality of business activities relating to consumer sales and services;

6. No License Needed for: Any person who, for hire or otherwise, conducts genealogical research in this state.

7. No License Needed for: A consumer reporting agency, as defined in the "Fair Credit Reporting Act," 84 Stat. 1128, 15 U.S.C.A. 1681a, as amended, provided that the consumer reporting agency is in compliance with the requirements of that act.

8. No License Needed for: The issuance of consumer credit reports;

9. No License Needed for: The conducting of limited background investigations that pertain only to a client's prospective tenant and that are engaged in with the prior written consent of the prospective tenant;

10. No License Needed for: The non-detective company business of pre-employment background investigations. As used in division (H)(3)(c) of this section, "business of pre-employment background investigation" means, and is limited to, furnishing for hire, in person or through a partner or employees, the conducting of limited background investigations, in-person interviews, telephone interviews, or written inquiries that pertain only to a client's prospective employee and the employee's employment and that are engaged in with the prior written consent of the prospective employee.

11. No License Needed for: Personnel placement services and persons who act as employees of such entities and non-detective companies engaged in investigating matters related to personnel placement activities;

12. No License Needed for: Certified public insurance adjusters that hold a certificate of authority, while the adjuster is investigating the cause of or responsibility for a fire, accident, or other damage to property with respect to a claim or claims for loss or damage under a policy of insurance covering real or personal property;

13. No License Needed for: An accountant who is registered or certified or any of the accountant's employees while engaged in non-detective company activities for which the accountant is certified or registered;

14. No License Needed for: A professional engineer who is registered r any of his employees.

15. No License Needed for: An independent insurance adjuster who, as an individual, an independent contractor, an employee of an independent contractor, adjustment bureau association, corporation, insurer, partnership, local recording agent, managing general agent, or self-insurer, engages in the non-detective company business of independent insurance adjustment, or any person who supervises the handling of claims except while acting as an employee of an insurer licensed in this state while handling claims pertaining to specific policies written by that insurer.

16. No License Needed for: An attorney who adjusts insurance losses incidential [sic] to the practice of law and who does not advertise or represent that he or she is an independent insurance adjuster or detective agency;

17. No License Needed for: A licensed agent or general agent of an insurer licensed in this state who processes undisputed or uncontested losses for insurers under policies issued by that agent or general agent.

18. No License Needed for: Public officers and employees whose official duties require them to engage in investigatory activities;

IF YOU ARE EXEMPT TO LICENSING,
    Then you are prohibited from:
    • Placing advertisements in the State of Nebraska (with a State of Nebraska address) promoting yourself as:
      A Nebraska private detective
      A Nebraska Secret Service
      A Nebraska Private Policing Service.

• Distributing business cards in the State of Nebraska using stationary or letterhead (with a State of Nebraska address) indicating yourself as:
      A Nebraska private detective
      A Nebraska Secret Service
      A Nebraska Private Policing Service.

OTHER RESOURCE LINKS:

GET YOUR SPONSORED LICENSE
    IN A FEW WEEKS:
    The International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) offers it's lifetime corporate members a FREE benefit in arranging for a licensed private detective in Nebraska to SPONSOR you. The process eliminates the typical 2000 hour waiting period, and can be pre-approved in as little as a few weeks. Contact your union rep at 406-534-0251
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Nebraska

Anyone know if some of the mystery shopping/anti-piracy jobs count towards PI work experience hours??

Karen O'Toole is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Nebraska

This is interesting. I did not know PI's had to be licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Rulla View Post
    I did not know PI's had to be licensed.
    Yes and no. We can help.

Carefully read Post #1 above for all of the exemptions and the additional resource to get you sponsored.

Go here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?23403

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

Karen, when I contact a person in Linconl about getting my License I was told that I had to have $10,000 insurance policy available for liability.

I was also wanting to get licenesd in Nebraska but not sure the best way. I have 9 years of security experience with all kinds of different training.

Elizabeth Anderson is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:

I currently live in Nebraska and plan on getting my liscence by third party verification through IPIU. I also do pi work for investigators in neighboring states as I live close to South Dakota and Wyoming I also frequent colorado.

Member of:

I don't know if anyone can help with this question but I will try to make myself clear. Can I, a NE resident, go to Colorado have an office there do PI work there and in the state of NE? I know Colorado doesn't require a license and therefore I was looking into possibly working with someone out there but have residency here. Is this legal and is it possible to do? I would appreciate any accurate information regarding this info. Thanks to anyone wo can help.
    Karen O'Toole
    IPIU Member
    Badge #11571

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Can I, a NE resident, go to Colorado have an office there do PI work there and in the state of NE?
    Answer: Yes, if the office in Colorado is a corporate member of IPIU, which means they have licensed PI's in Nebraska to work the regulated cases and regular internal staff to work the non-regulated cases (see Post #1).

I know Colorado doesn't require a license and therefore I was looking into possibly working with someone out there but have residency here. Is this legal and is it possible to do?
    Please call Tim (who has your records) at 406-534-0251 after 830AM Mountain Time, and ask him about upgrading you to an Agency Corporation. Also ask him about upgrading your present Lifetime Personal Membership to a Lifetime Corporate Plan (which will include free arrangements to have a licensed private detective in Nebraska sponsor your own license.

Also, carefully read Post #1 in this topic:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?23403
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Member of:

Thank you David for this information. I will do this. This is all new information for me.
    Karen O'Toole
    IPIU Member
    Badge #11571