Thread: PI Licensing: Tennessee

Question PI Licensing: Tennessee

do i need license to operate in tennessee.
    RONNIE A. HICKS
    Licensed Private Investigator (TN #5378)
    Licensed Security Officer (TN #0031651)
    Nightwolf Investigations (TN #1185)

PI Licensing: Tennessee

***UPDATE NEWS BULLETIN***
    No Experience Required for License!

June 6th, 2006
    A conversation with the Administrative Manager for the PI Licensing Department, led to more clarity for licensing requirements:
    1. The prior "experience" requirement was repealed. There is no longer a need for an applicant to have prior experience to pursue a licensing application for either themselves or to start their own agency.

2. New PI Requirements here:
      http://tennessee.gov/commerce/boards/pi/pirReq.html

3. New PI Agency Requirements here:
      http://tennessee.gov/commerce/boards/pi/picReq.html

4. Main Home Page here:
      http://tennessee.gov/commerce/boards/pi/

5. Download Free Examination Package here: Click Here

6. Examination Web Site here:
      http://www.prometric.com/Tennessee/tnpi.htm

7. To "own" a PI Agency, the test is not required unless you plan to perform investigations. All an owner needs to do is hire a licensed private investigator. Otherwise, the owner can take the 50-question test and apply for the license.

8. Once you have your Tennessee PI License for two (2) years, you may also apply for a state PI License in Kentucky and Arkansas without having to submit fingerprints or take their examination because of a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with the State of Tennessee.

NO LICENSE NEEDED, IF WORKING FOR THE FOLLOWING::

43-30-02. Exemptions to PI License (No PI License Needed for the following):

Source: Title 62; Chapter 35; Section 62-35-103: Click here
    1. The provisions of this part do not apply to a public accountant and a certified public accountant, or the agent of either, performing duties relating to public accountancy.

The provisions of this part do not apply to:
    2. A governmental officer or employee performing official duties;

3. A person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information regarding the financial rating or standing and credit of persons.

4. An attorney-at-law;

5. An employee of a single attorney or single law firm, who is acting within the employee's scope of employment for the attorney or law firm; or

6. A consultant when such person is retained by an attorney or appointed by a court to make tests, conduct experiments, draw conclusions, render opinions, or make diagnoses, where such services require the use of training or experience in a technical, scientific or social science field.

These exceptions do not apply to any other person or company who otherwise provides or offers to provide investigative services as described in § 62-26-202.

7. An insurance company, licensed insurance agent, or staff or independent adjuster performing investigative duties in connection with insurance business transacted;

8. A private business employee conducting investigations relating to the internal affairs of such business;

9. Any individual conducting investigative activities in connection with the repossession of a vehicle;

10. An individual conducting undercover investigations meeting the criteria set forth in § 62-26-231; or

11. Any person duly licensed by the State of Tennessee in another profession while such person is engaged in activities within the scope of that profession.

12. An insurance adjuster claiming an exemption to this part under subdivision (b)(4) must be an employee of an insurance company duly licensed to do business in this state, a licensed insurance agent in this state or a staff employee of such an agent (or an independent adjuster performing investigative activity limited to matters directly pertaining to an insurance transaction). The employee of the insurance company, the insurance agent or employee thereof, or the independent adjuster or employee thereof, must be acting within the scope of that person's employment with respect to the investigative activity.

TO OBTAIN A LICENSE TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR OWN CLIENTS:

62-26-205. Investigations company license - Application.

(a) An application for an investigations company license shall be filed with the commission on the prescribed form. The application shall include:

(1) The full name and business address of the applicant; or

(A) If the applicant is a partnership, the name and address of each partner; or

(B) If the applicant is a corporation, the name and address of the qualifying agent;

(2) The name under which the applicant intends to do business;

(3) The address of the principal place of business and all branch offices of the applicant within this state;

(4) As to each individual applicant; or, if the applicant is a partnership, as to each partner; or, if the applicant is a corporation, as to the qualifying agent, the following information:

(A) Full name;

(B) Date and place of birth;

(C) All residences during the immediate past five (5) years;

(D) All employment or occupations engaged in during the immediate past five (5) years;

(E) Three (3) sets of classifiable fingerprints;

(F) Three (3) credit references from lending institutions or business firms with whom the subject has established a credit record; and

(G) A list of all convictions and pending charges of the commission of a felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction;

(5) If the applicant is a corporation, the following information:

(A) The correct legal name of the corporation;

(B) The state and date of incorporation;

(C) The date the corporation qualified to do business in this state;

(D) The address of the corporate headquarters, if located outside of this state; and

(E) The names of two (2) principal corporate officers other than the qualifying agent, and the business address, residence address and the office held by each in the corporation; and

(6) Such other information as the commission may reasonably require.

(b) The application shall be subscribed and sworn to:

(1) By the applicant, if the applicant is an individual;

(2) By each partner, if the applicant is a partnership; or

(3) By the qualifying agent, if the applicant is a corporation.

(c) Any individual signing the application must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.

License Search: http://licsrch.state.tn.us/

Re: License

Originally posted by Dean Watkins
    If I should go get my Tennessee license. Would this help me here at IPIU? And if it would in what way. Thank You
    Absolutely! You can earn higher "licensed fees" and hire others at a lower rate. Take a look at Membership Plans for agencies too (Union Forum).

laws

the state of tennesse says you have to have a private investigator's license before you can perform any investigations,so how does ipiu give you assignments and get around this????????

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pleasant
    the state of tennesse says you have to have a private investigator's license before you can perform any investigations,so how does ipiu give you assignments and get around this????????
    Robert, I think you overlooked the answer in this topic thread.

Read Post #2 in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...2242#post12242
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

With the research I've done, I know I need a license in Tennessee to operate as a private investigator. Can you tell me if my IPIU PI credentials is enough for me to work cases while in the training program? And if yes, please explain?

This is a continuation of my last entry. I would like you to know that I will be taking the exam for my official PI license next year. This is the reason why I decided to start a training program now, for educational, training, and preparation purposes.

TN P.I. Licensing

You said that the the licensing would be good in other states? Which States would accept the TN License. Would this cost extra for each state.

Will

TN P.I. Licensing#2

Question:

1) The prior "experience" requirement was repealed. There is no longer a need for an applicant to have prior experience to pursue a licensing application for either themselves or to start their own agency.

So I don't have to be affiliated with any Licensed TN PI?

This question is addressed to any administrartor. I've read and researched the licensing rules of working as a private
    investigator in Tennessee, and according to the rules and regulations, no one is allowed to practice or own a business
    in the profession without a state license. Can I work as a private investigator here in Tennessee with only my IPIU credential and be within the law of this state? If yes how?

I have found the answer to my question. According to the Tennessee Private Investigators Laws and Rules section 62-26-231. Exemption from licensing requirement. A person exempted 62-26-223(b)(7) from the licensing requirements for private investigation must be 1) employed by and under the control of a licensed private investigation company. 3)(b) A private investigation company employing an individual exempted by 62-26-223(b)(7) shall be held responsible for the actions of that individual in such individual's capacity as an undercover investigator as if that individual was a licensed private investigator. I guess this means I can work as a PI without a license here in Tennessee as long as I am employed by and under the control of a licensed private investigative company. And I guess this means you IPIU.

Tennessee PI License VS IPIU Credential

Am I legally able to work the same cases a licensed PI can with only my IPIU credential as proof that I am a private investigator under training by IPIU? And does this include all of the 51 investigative fields? I need to know how fare I can go with this, because I do not want to break any laws. I really want the experience of becomng a law abiding PI; not breaking any laws. I Thank you in advance for your support in this matter.

Thank you so much for this updated info.
    I have been to the site and read all of the requirements.
    I will be persuing this for both agency setup and my personal
    license.
    Thanks to all for the info,

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Irvin
    Am I legally able to work the same cases a licensed PI can with only my IPIU credential as proof that I am a private investigator under training by IPIU?
    Answer: No, not all types of cases or assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Irvin
    And does this include all of the 51 investigative fields?
    Answer: No, but many of the types are permitted.

Carefully read the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2177

The cost of the state PI Trainee license:
    $250 (includes $150 application fee plus $100 license fee)

The cost of the state PI license as a single owner:
    $375.00 (includes $250 application fee plus $120 license fee)

Or, to only work within the approved areas of cases, you can click on the following IPIU private investigator credentials link for $89 or $99 one-time amount only:

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...d7818fbfc04660
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Question:

1) The prior "experience" requirement was repealed. There is no longer a need for an applicant to have prior experience to pursue a licensing application for either themselves or to start their own agency.

So I don't have to be affiliated with any Licensed TN PI?

In the state of TN can you be a police officer and a P.I..

Ronni Coppins - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: PI Licensing: Tennessee

When I clicked on the link at the top of this thread under #2, I got an error message saying "error 404 page not found". Is there another link?

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni Coppins View Post
    When I clicked on the link at the top of this thread under #2, I got an error message saying "error 404 page not found". Is there another link?
    Ronni, try the links now. There are also some new ones too.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST

Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Ronni Coppins - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thanks Donna! You're the deal!!

Lynn E Payne is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

In order to hold a valid Tennessee Private Investigator License the applicant/licensee must be affiliated with a licensed Tennessee Private Investigators Company. An applicant must:

Be at least 21 years of age
    Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien
    Not have been declared by any court of competent jurisdiction incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease (unless subsequently declared competent by a court of competent jurisdiction)
    Affiliated with a licensed Tennessee PI company or license own company
    Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence
    Be of good moral character
    Meet examination and continuing education requirements
    Applicant must submit fingerprint cards for processing by TBI and FBI for criminal history check.

I must be missing something here. I am a State Certified Security Officer in TN. Is my membership with IPIU considered being affiliated with a Licensed Company? Does IPIU have a branch in Tenn? Just curious.

Thank you.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn E Payne View Post
    Is my membership with IPIU considered being affiliated with a Licensed Company?

Thank you.
    Answer: No.

Your PI Union License is used to monitor your professional conduct while performing unregulated cases (cases that do not require a State PI License). See the Exemptions listed above.

If you also wish to obtain a State PI License to handle all regulated cases, then you need to do the following:

1. Apply for your own PI Company License.
    2. Then apply for your personal PI License under your PI Company License.

The application and fees are here:
    http://tennessee.gov/commerce/boards...ents/PIApp.pdf

The best thing about Tennessee is that you do not need to have any prior experience as a private investigator to obtain both your company license and your personal license.

Donna

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST

Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Lynn E Payne is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thank you Donna. You have been most helpful.

Doesn't appear there has been any activity on this thread in some time, but this is about the most thorough PI site I could find. Giving it a try. I am a retired State Police Officer who has relocated to Tennessee. I am in the process of completing the TN PI application, and registering for the exam. Any input, information, or ways to expedite this process would be greatly appreciated.

The last promotional written exam I took, included information from about eight books, two State Police Manuals, the State/Federal Constitution and Bill of Rights, and a few other sources. If you could offer some insight on the exam itself, this would be greatly appreciated as well. There is very little material, and the material seems to be pretty much cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Goodman View Post
    D If you could offer some insight on the exam itself, this would be greatly appreciated as well. There is very little material, and the material seems to be pretty much cut and dry.
    Most of the important aspects of the exam is based on the TN Statutes for private investigators. Study and know them as your primary goal.

The rest should be easy.

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

Ok I am new here and a bit confused... I have researched the states web site and looked through all the forums, even called the place that offers the exam looking for some study material for the exam. I can not find anything other than what is offered on the States website. this information is only 20 pages at most. is this all i need to study to take the exam? I have wanted to do this for quite some time now and finally decided to make the jump but I want to do it right...
    any information that you experianced P.I's can give would be greatly appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Law View Post
    Ok I am new here and a bit confused... I have researched the states web site and looked through all the forums, even called the place that offers the exam looking for some study material for the exam. I can not find anything other than what is offered on the States website. this information is only 20 pages at most. is this all i need to study to take the exam? I have wanted to do this for quite some time now and finally decided to make the jump but I want to do it right...
    any information that you experianced P.I's can give would be greatly appreciated..
    The state changed the law again in 2009. They now require a new PI to have prior experience to qualify for their agency license.

Details of the new law are here:
    http://tn.gov/commerce/boards/pi/picReq.shtml

Aside from the 2000 hours of experience, the applicant must take an exam.

If you do not already have the prior experience, then you can request IPIU to arrange for a licensed sponsor for you by becoming a lifetime corporate agency member. Call 406-534-0251 or read the costs in the following link:
    http://www.privateinvestigator.cc/pr...bf244cddfde403

START WITH TRUST

BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251