Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scott Peterson...GUILTY" 1st Degree on Laci; 2nd Degree on the Baby...

PETERSON: GUILTY! 1st Degree on Laci; 2nd Degree on the Baby...

Well, what do you know?

There is JUSTICE after all !

He is now eligible for the DEATH PENALTY...

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    To All:

I was wrong.

I knew that he was GUILTY - yes, I meant to shout it.

I did not believe that the prosecutor could pull it off and get a conviction. Thank you GOD.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Denise Damazio is offline Certified

Distinguished Member: Private Investigator Member
    I'll second that! Thank you Lord! Justice is being served...but I think the death penalty is the easy way out...

Denise

Yahoo! I almost thought we were in trouble when the juror was dismissed. I figured they would be deliberating for days. Whew! Even if he gets the death penalty,that "you know what", will still sit in jail for years at our expense and that bites!

I have a little problem thinking of him getting the death penalty when there was very little physical evidence at the trial. I still think he is guilty but circumstancial (sp?) evidence just shouldn't be enough to get someone put to death. I'm just glad I wasn't on that jury, I've been on a couple of them and the feeling of changing someones life for the worse is not a good one.

I do think he is guilty, but I also am sure there is alot of evidence we did not see or maybe wont. Remember, we wont see or hear from evidence at trial that would harm him, pretext interviews remember folks( sucks cos I would HATE to be the investigator on this and know he was quilty and turned all that over to the atty and to be not used due to the prosecutor being able to have presence at depo) BUT there again, our job is for the truth PERIOD

will we EVER know the entire truth?

David, I think you summed it up well. Yes Scott Peterson to me is guilty, in my mind, heart and in circumstancial evidence, but his shady past may be revealed soon and who knows, it COULD be entirely possible he was set up?!

I mean it could happen yes?

just my thoughts on the matter, all I can say is whom ever killed that spirit with that innocent child should pay the ultimate price, and regardless whom it is WILL in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Elia
    Yahoo! I almost thought we were in trouble when the juror was dismissed. I figured they would be deliberating for days. Whew! Even if he gets the death penalty,that "you know what", will still sit in jail for years at our expense and that bites!

Tammy, truer words were never spoken, and depending on what Jail he goes to, its a better life than he deserves

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thank you God!!

Scott Peterson could not get away with it. period.
    I am happy justice is served. But he should not sit around in jail.

Flora

Remember, he's still a young man...
    Sitting in jail the rest of his life is a fate WORSE than death... The cell is 6 x 9. That would drive me crazy. I understand that some people ASK to be put to death rather than be caged up like that...

People have been convicted on circumstantial evidence before. It was OVERWHELMING in this case. But he DESERVES the guilty verdict simply due to the fact that he was at the scene of the crime !
    He admitted to fishing at the same place where the bodies washed up! HELLO???? Since he can be placed at the scene of the crime, in the correct time frame that's good enough for me...

Excuse me Sandra...but were you yelling (bold & caps)? LOL!

I can tell you are passionate about this case. Basically we have a human need to pin the blame on someone when a crime as senseless as this has been committed. We don't want the bastage (mispelled on purpose) to get away with it and we'd like to be the first ones to kick him in the Corrachi's (again, mispelled on purpose, in fact I don't know if it's a real word) and take pictures of his facial expressions...as long as we're SURE he's the one!

What we humans also have problems with is the guilt of finding out that our suspect didn't really do it. Thankfully our justice system, flawed as it may be, is still the best in the world. We just have to make sure we balance evidence and present fact as fact, and circumstance as just that, circumstance. That's the best we can do.

Hopefully we wind up with the right decision in the end. In this case, I have to think the guilty guy is Scot. Would I be willing to trade places with him if I'm wrong....mmmm maybe not!

Take care all,
    John French

John French

Sorry, John!

(I didn't realize it was in all CAPS...)

Yes, I have a degree in Criminal Justice, so this kinda stuff gets me going...BIG TIME!

My next question is this: People don't just BECOME killers...And not everyone CAN kill.
    Is it possible that he has done this before? I think ANYTHING is possible... Amber Frye is ONE LUCKY GIRL to have gotten out in one piece...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra R McGeorge
    Well, what do you know?

There is JUSTICE after all !

He is now eligible for the DEATH PENALTY...
    10-4 on Justice do the crime Pay for it????

Sandra,

I hope you know I was just giving you a hard time about the fonts...

It's good to get fired up about something once in awhile, and this case is certainly one of those times. Let's just hope he gets a sentence worthy of the deed.

See you around the forums all,
    John French

John French

PERSONAL Opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lawrence
    I have a little problem thinking of him getting the death penalty when there was very little physical evidence at the trial. .
    In my personal opinion, I have my doubts about what is really the truth. Yes, I was not in the jury and I did not hear all of the testimony, but this case appears starnge to me with no physical evidence, no actual witness of the crime committed, etc. In this day of DNA, I would be relunctant to put to death anyone without such evidence that may arise at a later date.

Also in my personal opinion, I have doubts about the jury and what has come forth in the news about the two jurists that were dismissed (both of which were leaning toward not guilty because of no hard evidence). Then after the desenting juristsl were dismissed, the remaining jurists convicted as if they believed in public opinion as with the aftermath of the OJ Simpson trial.

Again, I do not know as I was not there. But in my personal opinion, I would chose to not convict, no matter how difficult, if there was any doubt in this case. And my personal doubts are enough for me, even though I may be the minority here, to withstand from sentencing someone to death solely on facts that prove him a liar and committing adultry.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Reagan
    ...I would HATE to be the investigator on this and know he was quilty and turned all that over to the atty and to be not used due to the prosecutor being able to have presence at depo)....
    To be absolutely honest, some time after the bodies were found, I stopped "listening" to about 90% of the news concerning the investigation and trial (I was surprised that the trial ended "quickly").

Thank you, Patricia, for your thread. You make a really great point.

I am a big stickler for Truth. I think nothing would probably make me madder than finding the information I was hired to find (within the letter of all the laws and with all of my personal integrity) just so the Truth can not be made public because of some little rule. That is incredibly ridiculous.

I realize I am new to the PI world, but it simply does not make sense to have somthing so VERY public as the investigation, trial, and exposing of people's lives, only to have SOME things brought into the public light.

But at the same time, I understand Robert's point. I think Scott Peterson to be a big enough jerk ( I would say something worse but I can't) to have a mistress when he has a pregnant wife at home.

If there is evidence to convict him, it shouldn't matter whether the prosecutor was at the deposition or not... solid evidence is still solid evidence.

What if he was found not guilty?

What if the jurors were not dismissed, and it were either a hung jury or he was found not guilty?

What do you do if you are the investigator, find a massive amount of solid evidence, it isn't used, and he went free?

How do you keep from taking it personally?

I look forward to any words of wisdom.

YAAAAY!!! I am so happy they found him guilty. He deserves everything he's going to get. Patricia, you said that maybe he was set up, and maybe he was. But for a man to say that his wife died 1 year ago deserves to die himself. And not to sit in jail and waste my money, but by lethal injection.

Kristie,

Thanks for your compliment. But let me set some issues clear and try and touch on your questions. in my opinionated and still learning mindset.

As for your question of what do you do and how do you deal? Simple, within the ethical and professional aspects of PI it would have to be seen as follows:

As long as the investigator did a thorough and complete job, documented all information, evidence obtained, turned over the full report( remember our JOB IS TO GET THE TRUTH PERIOD) if it hurts the defendant or not, it is NOT our responsibility to take/make judgement. We MUST disclose the entire truth/facts( remember truth has a variety of meanings, depending on WHOSE perception of the truth).

If we find in facts/evidence that prove the defendant guilty, and the Atty/PD/defense council's job is to get them off, and the evidence is not what they want to use( the reason we have pretext interviews) or they cannot use the info to get a lessor charge. It is THEIR call, we are not and cannot take it personal!!

AS for the set up suggestion, it was an opinion Amalia
    I am reminding people we do NOT see or HEAR the entire facts and maybe never will. Remember, evidence can be supressed, it can never be uncovered due to the conditions I kind of mentioned in my remark to Kristie.

I do NOT doubt his guilt for one iota, but as Robert so brilliantly stated, it is NOT enough to convict a man in my mind until I have heard/seen all sides. And I dont think we ever will, sadly.

I hope that clarifies my take on this matter. I am just learning, I have no experience with Trails, Evidence suppression and court hearings/dep's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Reagan
    As long as the investigator did a thorough and complete job, documented all information, evidence obtained, turned over the full report( remember our JOB IS TO GET THE TRUTH PERIOD) if it hurts the defendant or not, it is NOT our responsibility to take/make judgement. We MUST disclose the entire truth/facts( remember truth has a variety of meanings, depending on WHOSE perception of the truth).

If we find in facts/evidence that prove the defendant guilty, and the Atty/PD/defense council's job is to get them off, and the evidence is not what they want to use( the reason we have pretext interviews) or they cannot use the info to get a lessor charge. It is THEIR call, we are not and cannot take it personal!!
    Thank you, Patricia. I really appreciate it. I think I am reacting in the way that I am because of the job I have now. I feel that I use up more time trying to find the right answer(s) and do a good job, just to have someone or something come along and change everything at the last minute.
    I am really glad that we are encouraged to read alot in the forums. I would have walked into the PI business with a very ignorant view of what goes on the PI world if it were otherwise.
    I am going to guess that a respectful detachment is a good general rule of thunb in investigating, or have I missed the mark?

I think he should do time also. Sentenced to death is the easy way out!!!!!

Jafar J Casurella is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    *Test Blog

Well, let me chime in here. I think they should just take him out back and shoot him.
    Why should honest hard working citizens of this great nation be forced to pay for his upkeep in prison for the rest of his life, which could be a very very long time.

GOD is good!! This man deserves whatever the Law throws at him. For the Bible says "obey man's law".

I don't understand why the dismissed jurors were on the panel in the first place. It seemed quite clear to me that he was about as guilty as you can get. I believe that is why a conviction was reached so quickly once the second replacement was appointed.

Scott Peterson is Innocent

First of all I think Scott is innocent. I hope he gets the death penalty so he can appeal. His lawyer Gregaros is an idiot if he had johnny cochran he would have gotten off.Why would scott kill lacey? Why would he do that to his father fatlovedhim and respected him and his mom.Scott just doesn't fit the profile of a cold blooded murderer and everything was going good for him he had a girlfriend and he was well off. Both lacey and scott had money so when they mentioned the insurance policy that was 0000. If he was a murderer why did all his nieces and nephews take the stand and say he was a loving person. It just doesn't add up. The she was murdered the curtains were down maybe someone that had access to her home killed lacey like a plumber or carpet cleaner. Also Sharon Rocha is bitter and resentful for her to take the stand and say all the negative things about scott. Lacey's family never really accepted scott or his parents. I suspect that when scott's parents tried to get to know lacey's mom and step dad they gave them the cold shoulder. Anyways sharon needs to move on with life lacey's gone and be thankful she still has her other children. Lacey's in a better place now. Sharon Rocha is bitter and is accusing the wrong person of her daughter's death. Scott is innocent what evidence do they have that he killed lacey it's all circumstantial and there's no proof. Anyways they need to find the real killer and stop ruining scott's life.

Courtesy of MSNBC

BREAKING NEWS
    NBC News and news services
    Updated: 6:22 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2004REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - The jury that found Scott Peterson guilty of murdering his pregnant wife, Laci, and the couple’s unborn son recommended Monday that he should die for his crimes. His attorney immediately said he would appeal.

A cheer went up outside San Mateo County Superior Court as the jury announced its opinion after 11½ hours of deliberations over three days. The jury had two options in advising Judge Alfred A. Delucchi on the fate of Peterson, 32, a former fertilizer salesman: life in prison without parole or death by injection.

Delucchi has the discretion under California law to disregard the jury’s recommendation when he sentences Peterson on Feb. 25. But he has never before done so in a case of this magnitude.

Peterson clenched his jaw when the recommendation was read and leaned over to speak with his attorney, Mark Geragos, but he showed no other emotion. Laci Peterson’s mother, Sharon Rocha, whose emotional testimony may have been a determining factor in the jury’s recommendation, cried, her lips quivering. Scott Peterson’s mother, Jackie, showed no apparent emotion.

A crowd of several hundred people gathered outside the courthouse to hear the verdict — a scene reminiscent of the day last month when about 1,000 people showed up to hear the announcement of Peterson’s conviction. The San Francisco Examiner came out with a special edition within minutes of the sentence, carrying the giant headline “DEATH.”

‘It spoke for itself’
    The six-man, six-woman jury reached its unanimous death penalty decision after finding Peterson guilty of killing Laci Peterson, 27, and her fetus on or around Christmas Eve 2002.

Their bodies were recovered almost four months later on the shore of the San Francisco Bay, near the spot where Scott Peterson said he was fishing alone on the day his wife vanished.

Jurors who chose to speak with reporters afterward said that while the process was difficult and draining, there was little doubt that Peterson deserved to die.

“When you put it all together, it spoke for itself,” said juror Richelle Nice, who vigorously denied a dismissed juror’s contention that the panel came under tremendous pressure to convict Peterson.

“Scott Peterson was Laci’s husband, Conner’s daddy — the one person that should have protected them” Nice said.

Another juror, Gregory Beratlis, said, “Collaboratively, when you add it all up, there doesn’t appear to be any other possibility.” He agreed that “nobody outside this process influenced my voting.”

“If this person was innocent, we would have walked out of there saying ‘innocent,’” Beratlis insisted.

In a brief statement outside court, Geragos said he would pursue “any and all appeals” and asked the media to respect the privacy of Peterson’s family.

"I hope you can understand it’s a difficult time, and that’s all I’ve got to say,” he said.

The verdict came hours after the jurors asked to review 13 pieces of evidence that were presented during the trial, including autopsy photographs, aerial photos of the area where the bodies were recovered and a photo of a smiling Laci Peterson sitting in a chair taken just 10 days before her disappearance.

Headed for San Quentin
    Peterson will remain in the San Mateo County Jail until he is sentenced Feb. 25. He will then be sent to Death Row at San Quentin State Prison outside San Francisco, the infamous lockup where prisoners gaze out small cell windows overlooking the same bay where Laci Peterson’s body was discarded.

Once there, he has multiple chances to avoid execution.

He will sit on death row for more than five years before being appointed an attorney for his first appeal to the California Supreme Court, which is mandatory.

After exhausting state appeals, Peterson’s case would move to the federal courts, usually with a new attorney. The case would go to U.S. District Court and then to the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which has overturned more California death sentences than it has allowed.

MSNBC.com’s Mike Brunker and Alex Johnson, MSNBC-TV’s Janet Shamlian and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Eloisa Mooney is offline Certified

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    In my personal opinion, I am having a hard time with the final verdict and punishment of scott. There were too many weird things that happened and not enough physical evidence or one witness to come forward.

How strange too that two jurors get thrown off while the current jury community can't come to a decision but as soon as their replacements walk in, Scott's fate is sealed. It felt like someone got to the lawyers/judge to explain who the community was having problems with and holding up coming to agreement. The hand was swift to fix the issue.

It is a wake up call and frightening to know how "easy" someone can get convicted of MURDER with no witness or physical evidence. If it can happen that easily to him, it can happen to anyone.

Anyone who shows no emotion throughout this whole ordeal such as Scott did, definately has something to hide. I agree with some of the points in here. Although he may not have to suffer in jail for the rest of his life, I think if he gets the death penalty, God will make sure he gets what he deserves.

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Grimm
    I think if he gets the death penalty, God will make sure he gets what he deserves.
    Rob,

I totally agree with you on that one.

I can not believe all the circumstantial evidence there was. Like Sandra mentioned, the biggest part was Scott being near where the bodies washed up. He was 90 miles away on Christmas Eve.. How often do you travel 90 miles and then your dead wife just happens to wash up there, also. He made 5 anchors, and they could only account for one. His father-in-law loves to fish, and Scott never told him about the boat. They found concrete particles in the boat; but no anchor in the boat. He was trying to meet Amber Frye in a remote area and he had a shovel. (The police cancelled the rendevouz.) They caught him with dyed hair, his brother's license, and $15,000 in cash which he received from his mother. (I can't help but wonder how many times in his life his mom made excuses for his behavior or covered up for him.) He was driving towards Mexico and getting close to the border with survival gear. When everyone else was looking for his wife, he called Amber Frye on the phone or went golfing. (He already knew where she was.) They found the notices he was supposed to nail up around the area with Laci's picture in his trunk. He went up and watched the police dragging the bay; he thought unobserved. He told Amber Frye they would have a lot more time together very soon. He told a friend or a relative, I forgot which, that he didn't really want children. He looked in the court room like someone who had his hand in the cookie jar who was trying NOT to look guilty, but looking guilty all the more because of it. Did he cry when pictures of Laci and Connor's bodies were shown...No. He only cried when people were talking about how wonderful he was. (The poor, misjudged and misunderstood boy) He tried to sell Laci's car, a and their home with everything in it. Not exactly the actions of a man waiting and hoping for the return of his wife. I can't think of too many other things he could do to show his guilt apart from saying "I did it." The only thing I'm not sure of is what is worse punishment, death or life. If he gets life, the prison population will probably kill him because what he did puts him at the bottom of the prison hierachy. So maybe life would be better, because he will probably die in less than the 20 years it will take to kill him after his appeals.

I totally agree with you on the death penalty is the easy way out. He should have life with out parole! He deserves to sit in jail for many years.

I couldnt agree with you more. He shows many many signs of guilt and he is ignorant for denying it when everyone knows that he is guilty. I knew he was guilty from the begining and i hope he appeals and gets life with out parole because the death penalty is to easy.

I am not privy to the details that would allow me to make a judgement on whether this man is guilty or innocent. However, I must say that it doesn't seem very feasible that he is innocent. Who goes fishing by themselves so far from home? That alone is pretty suspicious to me. Everyone I know that fishes goes with at least one other person. It's not exactly the most action packed activity and most people find in enjoyable to have company. Besides, fisherman like to brag.

I think it is a horrible thing that was done to Laci, and it saddens me.

Aside from that though, is no one concerned about the possible impact that the conviction of murder for a fetus could have on the ruling of Roe vs. Wade? It is a first step in influencing people towards outlawing abortion. Now, I don't agree with abortion. It is a bad thing for everyone involved. However, I don't want to see that option taken away from women.

I disagree with you Chanda. Just because you don't have a record or anything doesn't mean your innocent. Every one's record is clean until they do something wrong and get caught. When I was in the police academy they stressed that you can't trust anyone you pulled over. They showed us a tape from a state trooper's cruiser that caught everthing that happened. The trooper was killed by someone who never had a record or anything all because the trooper found a joint in the man's trunk. Does no record mean he was innocent even though he was caught on tape? No, it just means that was his first crime or first time being caught. The death penalty is what any killer deserves. Think about it, I'd rather spend the rest of my life in prison and letting the tax payers support me than lose my life. To each person on earth there is nothing more precious than your own life.

Thank God ..California did something right...hes Guilty!!!!

I think he is so guilty!! Thank God for justice for Lacey and Connor !!! God forbid future similar cases happen, but at least they will be tried as a double homicide case.

I am undecided about the death penalty. I am usually for it only in serial murder cases.

Sarah Williams, I agree with you regarding what you wrote in your last paragraph. But, when you say that you believe it should be a option for other women...it does effect all of us. I think it sends bad kharma out into the universe. I believe that is why God permits bad things to happen to us. Like war and THIS pregnant woman being murdered.

Unhappy

God gave us free will, even to make bad choices. I value that I was given the ability to make my own decisions and to suffer or rejoice in the consequences. I have faith that my god will make all right when it is the correct time. I don't believe that God punishes us through things such as this woman's tragic death.

Just My 2-Cents

I don't believe God "permits" evil things to happen, either; I would have a difficult time worshipping any Powerful Being like that. I choose to believe there are forces of good and bad in this world, and that both sides have been locked in a mortal tug-o-war for a very long time, and that while God will intervene when He can do so (and when we ask), He cannot always do so without unfairly affecting the outcome of the struggle.

Regardless, it's obvious that sometimes the bad element gets the upper hand; for the bad things that happen, I believe there is always a reason or perhaps "cause" is a better word. Even if it's a bad reason, or not one we feel should be allowed to happen, there's always something bad that put it into motion - and enough badness has been going on for long enough that the results are affecting innocent bystanders.

That said, I don't think any one of us has the right to set ourselves up as the judge of the rest of us, to tell us what decisions we get to make or don't get to make. If you believe in God enough to believe He is watching and will one day mete out people's rewards, then you also know that He is the only entity qualified to say what's right and wrong, and He has not set up anyone on this earth to make and enforce morals on everyone else.

Civil laws are a whole 'nother thing. If it's against the law to kill folks and you kill somebody, you'd better be prepared to accept the punishment the law dictates. The video and photos of Peterson with his hairstyle changed, hair color dyed, pockets full of cash and almost literally sprinting for the border - those were pretty powerful images of a feller who didn't care to stick around and defend his honour. It scares the heck out of me, tho, that the anti-choice folks are using this as one more chink in women's civil rights. Make no mistake - people who want to have absolute power over other people never miss a chance to get their foot farther in the door.

Sorry, I didn't mean to preach! Just my humble tuppence worth. Hope everyone's having a fabulous day!

/jan

PS It does my heart good to see reasonable folks discussing issues like this, reasonably and without cursing or throwing crockery at each other's heads! Thanks, friends.

Thumbs up Yep

I totally agree with you Jan. However, the direction of the thread should probably be redirected away from God from now on. It's a sensitive subject and not really relevant to the issue. Sometimes it's difficult to hold back from responding about something you feel strongly about even if it isn't on topic.

Thank you so much for that bit of advice, Sarah. I happen to agree with you (I am usually the first to ask people to separate religion from the subject at hand), but you will notice the aspect of "God" recurs in the forums time and again, as in your own post. It seems to be a concept society doesn't easily get away from (look at our own government currently.)

Or is it the length of my comments that you disapprove of? I certainly didn't intend to stress out anyone's attention span, I promise, but there ARE several lengthy posts in this thread, and I don't believe there is a word limit - altho I could be wrong. I will check that out.

Deep apologies if my comments offended you in any way.

/Jan

God

This is one I don't even want to touch. Not even with a 20 foot pole. Because this is a breeding ground for unrest and argument. Unfortunately I have to because the nature of this business in the larger scheme demands a wider sphere of understanding and adaptability. Especially with concerns to undercover work. Being a Native American and White mixed breed I will say I spent alot of time in churches as a child looking for answers. Almost every type from Catholic to Baptists and on and on and on. Whatever name you call a higher power by, it is whatever gets you through the day. Buddhism, Judaism, Jewish, Mormon, Christianity.The Church founded by Martin Luther (known as Lutheran) who it was proven and documented to have been educated with his friend, classmate and colleague of Faust. Anyone who has ever had to read Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth knows exactly what I am refering to. Whoever or however you place your faith I guess it all comes down to whatever gets you through the day. But in the ancient text the name of god was also supposed to be Yahwee. Some Natives know that one, but these references and the name were from a time of the Ancient Egyptions if I remember correctly. If you dont know who Dr. Johhanes Sebastian Faustus is, all I can say is he is the only man who's case is documented in history who supposedly made a pact with the devil for 4 and 20 years I beleive. Sorry it has been many years since I was Interested in the search for religion. If I am Mistaken. So many will let me know. I would prefer to leave religion and politics out of this business. But also Thank Yahwee (GOD) for all of you. No offense intended to anyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast