Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dog - The Bounty Hunter (Reality TV Show)

I just hope this move is going to be right for me because PI seems to be a very hard line of work to get in to.

Reply to John

Yes, John, it is difficult to get into and costly to get started (including a lisence in the state of New York of $400!) but we here can all help you. It's a difficult road to take, but the end point makes everything worth it.

Hi Steve,

I've never seen the "Dog" show mainly because unlike "Cops" I didn't believe he was real. Also when you put a camera in front of someone, they will usually "perform" which implies acting to me. However, I can live him being an Ex-Con if he is for real about catching bad guys and making things right in his life.

I'm tempted to watch now since previous posts speak favorably of him? Naaaahhh!!

RT

Bravo

Thank you for your point on the acting dillema. Television breeds superheroes and god-like figures based on scripts. Even reality TV on other stations is scripted. Did anyone notice how calm the first Big Brother was?

Or how the Real World was a bit more in control and down to earth at the beginning? It's because the audience dosen't want to see "real" people, they need entertainers, and reality or not, the show portrays each and every one of them in a way that will get them ratings.

Best
    KD

Elaine Gutierrez - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigators Forum Member

Red face

Thanks Susan;

I will be looking for it. I usually watch Law & Order, CSI or SVU. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Cool Bravo 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dame
    Thank you for your point on the acting dillema. Television breeds superheroes and god-like figures based on scripts. Even reality TV on other stations is scripted. Did anyone notice how calm the first Big Brother was?

Or how the Real World was a bit more in control and down to earth at the beginning? It's because the audience dosen't want to see "real" people, they need entertainers, and reality or not, the show portrays each and every one of them in a way that will get them ratings.
    Bravo 2. Well said. 15 minutes of fame anyone?

RT

Former Protective Services Agent - US Army
    International Private Investigator

Executive Agency Owner Member - IPIU
    I think that the fact that we are having such a drawn out conversation about this show, achieves just what it aims to...publicity. I think it is refreshing that someone can commit a crime, pay their debt to society, and move on with their life in a positive way, instead of falling back through the revolving door that is our criminal justice system. I say good for him.

I watch Dog quite a bit, and enjoy watching it. Everybody needs to remember, it is indeed TV, and acting will take place. Ya can't knock the guy or judge him for his past. Everybody makes mistakes, but it's whether you learn from them and change, that makes the person. Without a doubt, he has turned himself into something much better than he was, and is an asset to society. With the dangers of being a FRA or a bailbondsman, those in the profession should be commended for taking such risks to help society. Criminals are still people; dog treats them as such.

I figured I'd chime in and give my 2 cents worth here... Though I have never watched the show, I have heard a bit of how his life has changed. Speaking from my own mind anyone who can realize the errors of their previous ways, recover from and begin to do good toward humanity can be considered an excellent person in my book! Having volunteered for many years as a director for the famous Village People supported NPO I have seen youth who were on their last chance before juvie completely rehabilitate into upstanding citizens. My hat is off to all those who have realized they were on the wrong path (morally and spiritually) and have changed into using their talents and personal being for good causes, be it a human respecting bounty hunter in Dog's case or a youth guidance counselor in my colleagues case. Either way when the correct path is chosen it is a win win for everyone!!!

Regards,

Jeff

Michael Newman is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Certified

Corporate Agency Associate Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Questions:

1) Dog and his wife also own a Bail Bonds agency.

2) Nearly all of the bail jumpers areunder $15,000 bond.

3) If they were to pay an outside bounty hunter, what is the rate? 10%??

If so, then when they bring out a whole team with two cars for a $1000 to $1500 ten percent job, that does not make much sense, unless they are trying to save hiring someone ta 10%. Right?

And I have never seen any bonds on their show over $15,000. Thattelles me they don't bail out the big guys at $50,000 and up.

Just a few questions for the pros.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Newman
    Questions:
    1) Dog and his wife also own a Bail Bonds agency.
    2) Nearly all of the bail jumpers areunder $15,000 bond.
    3) If they were to pay an outside bounty hunter, what is the rate? 10%??
    If so, then when they bring out a whole team with two cars for a $1000 to $1500 ten percent job, that does not make much sense, unless they are trying to save hiring someone at 10%. Right?
    And I have never seen any bonds on their show over $15,000. That tells me they don't bail out the big guys at $50,000 and up.
    Just a few questions for the pros.
    Michael,

First, Dog is a Bail Bondsman (not sexist, but the leagl term in NJ where I live). The also is the Bond Recovery Agent function.

Second, the money that Dog is trying to earn, is actually money that he is trying to save. If someone has kicked in their 10% or 15% for a bond to get out of jail, the full amount of the bond (the 10-15% plus the other 85-90%) must be paid to the court by Dog - as Bail Bondsman.

Bottom line - The $1,500 dollar 'bounty' that Dog is trying to save is $15,000 out of his own pocket.

Dog could spend $14,999 on the recovery and still come out ahead.

Besides, a Bail Bondsman who cannot guarantee that his clients show up in court will not get any support from the insurance companies who supply the bond (the Surety).

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Michael,

First, Dog is a Bail Bondsman (not sexist, but the leagl term in NJ where I live). The also is the Bond Recovery Agent function.

Second, the money that Dog is trying to earn, is actually money that he is trying to save. If someone has kicked in their 10% or 15% for a bond to get out of jail, the full amount of the bond (the 10-15% plus the other 85-90%) must be paid to the court by Dog - as Bail Bondsman.

Bottom line - The $1,500 dollar 'bounty' that Dog is trying to save is $15,000 out of his own pocket.

Dog could spend $14,999 on the recovery and still come out ahead.

Besides, a Bail Bondsman who cannot guarantee that his clients show up in court will not get any support from the insurance companies who supply the bond (the Surety).
    Michael,what would a insurance company charge the bail agencies for a $15,000 bond?

And I don't follow you on Dog spending 14,999 on a $15,000 bond that is backed up by an insurance company(?)

Donna

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Donna,

You missed the point of my response entirely.

I was responding to a suggestion that Dog was spending more on recovery than he would lose on the fugitive not going back to court.

Just because the Surety is an insurance company, the money they put up has to be repaid.

The difference between bond and insurance is that the bonding agency has to be paid back for what they put out and the insurance company does not.

If the bond is $15,000, the bail bondsman (in this case, Dog) has to pay someone the $15,000.

If the bail bondsman has the cash, he pays the court and must try to collect from the fugitive. If the bail bondsman uses a surety, the surety pays the court and recovers the money from the bail bondsman. If a fugitive is not recovered in time, Dog loses the money regardless of who writes the check to the court.

So, if the bail bond is $15,000, the bail bondsman can spend up to $15,000 on recovery before he incurs the loss of the money.

Scenario 1: Dog bails Donna out on $15,000; Donna pays $1,500 to Dog and Dog guarantees the $15,000 to the court. Donna fails to show for court and Dog cannot find her. Donna is out $1,500 and Dog pays the court $15,000. Dog is in the hole for $13,500. Dog will try to get $15,000 out of Donna collateral (house, car, etc).

Scenario 2: Dog bails Donna out on $15,000; Donna pays $1,500 to Dog and Dog guarantees the $15,000 to the court. Donna fails to show for court and Dog does find her. Donna is still out the $1,500. Dog would take the $13,500 loss unless he spends money to recover her. How much can Dog spend and still not lose $15,000? Dog can spend $15,000 and break even.

Nothing is free. Anything Dog spends on recovery can be taken from Donna’s collateral.

The other aspect is image. If Dog were to fail to recover too many fugitives, the courts may not accept the bond. More likely, the surety would stop doing business with Dog. The expenditure of a large sum to ensure that his record is spotless (or almost spotless) is marketing.

Donna,

I really do appreciate that you are trying to keep me on my toes.

Steve Degon is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Member
    Donna & Michael

I guess let me explain myself better!

If the courts set bail at $15000.00, the individual in question is required in most cases is to provide the bondsman 10% ($1500.00) in most instances non-refundable. The bondsman is guaranteeing that the defendant will be in court on his/her court date.

Know if the individual doesn't show for court then the court allow the bondsman 60-90 days to recover that person and put them back in jail or possibly set another court date.

The $1500.00 is in part to pay a recovery agent to go out and bring the individual either to jail or return him to the bondsman.

Now the $1500.00 should be the recovery agents because that is 10% of the bond, not 10% of the $1500.00. Don't let the bondsman rip you out of your money, for most of them will try to intemidate you out of your money.

Oh, this is just a short version of how the whole thing actually works. That is why it is so important to work under an experienced agent or agency and learn how the business works.

Donna,

You explained it pretty good, and that is a pretty good run down on the business. Nothing really against bondsman, but most of them are out for themselves and they will bo anything to try to negociate on not having to pay the whole fee. We can go on for ever about this, but try to watch out for yourself with bondsman.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator

DHS Certified
    Let me try this:

Scenario 1:

Dog bails Donna out on $15,000;

Donna does not put up any collateral except her good credit record

Donna pays $1,500 fee (no refund) to Dog and Dog guarantees the $15,000 to the court.

Dog pay bail bond insurance agency a small amount to underwrite his court bond in the event Donna skips and canit be caught or she is caught past the time the court revokes the bond.

Donna fails to show for court and Dog cannot find her.

Donna is already out $1,500 fee plus owes Dog the $15,000.

Dog either invokes the underwritten policy he arranged with the bail insurance company to pay the court, or he pays the court $15,000 out of his own pocket.

If Dog did not underwrite the bond, then Dog is in the hole for $13,500.

Dog will try to get $15,000 out of Donna collateral (house, car, etc).

Scenario 2:

Dog bails Donna out on $15,000;

Donna does not put up any collateral except her good credit record

Donna pays $1,500 fee (no refund) to Dog and Dog guarantees the $15,000 to the court.

Donna fails to show for court

Dog does find her.

Donna is already out $1,500 fee plus owes Dog the $15,000.

Dog's underwritten policy is not invoked because Donna was recovered for the court appearance.

Dog can attempt to collect the full $15,000 from Donna through a claim action (if collectable within a few years in most states)

Or, Dog would take the $13,500 book loss unless he spends money to recover her.

"How much can Dog spend and still not lose $15,000? Dog can spend $15,000 and break even."

I think what is missing here is the inclusion of bail bonds being underwritten to cover bail agencies.

Most bonds do not go to warrant, and bail insurance companies make money by insuring potential losses for failure to show.

Here's a very useful site:
    http://www.americanbailcoalition.com/

Donna

Donna,

I agree with you, but after so many times paying out forfeitures the insurance company will cut its loss with that particular bondsmand. I have seen it here in Idaho and Washington. I know how the system works as well as you do. One way a bondsman can help protect oneself is to write smaller bonds,but write more of them. this is how a lot of them here do it and let the other sucker take the chances.

Ashley Mayne-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forums
    This started as a TV show and ended up being some great discussion. I enjoyed reading the last few posts as I had no idea of what you were talking about (noting where I'm from).
    Thanks for the clarity and good read everyone.

Ashley

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:

Thumbs up 'Dog' in $2.6M 'Bounty Hunter' Deal

Ashley Mayne-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forums
    That's interesting Lynne. It puts the discussion about bonds and $15000 and this and that to the shisen housen. He won't have to pay for a thing, will he.

P.s Shisen Housen means something. Think about it.

Hugh Brown Jr is offline Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Member of:
    This is a good TV show that has Dog and his son.It shows the good and the bad in what he does.Every job has a it's pros and cons to it.I do love to see this show when it comes on every Tuesday at 9:00 pm.

Thanks Hugh, i didn't know when it came on. I watched it last year and then llst track of it. I wish i could find a mentor like him

Professional Member of:
    Thanks Steven,Dog also comes on on Wednesdays at 8:00 or 9:00 depending on your time zone on TV.

Actually, I've seen him on A&E at that time on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

You get more bees with honey, Dog has the right idea.

Professional Member of:
    I guess that is why he is so good

This is a very cool show.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Heddleson
    .... I would like for (MUT) to come to my door as much as I hate bounty huters, I hate this one.... .....when I was a cop..... !!
    I am beginning to think that maybe some bounty hunters aren't too good, 'cause this might be the most anger I've seen expressed in a message on this forum.

Lori Copaus is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    I am just curious as to why someone here would call people names such as fat cow? I think this is very unprofessional. I understand we are talking about the wife on the show but some of us might find offense in this.
    My 2 cents worth.

Lori E. Copaus
    P. I. Trainee

the good,the bad and the ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Copaus
    I am just curious as to why someone here would call people names such as fat cow? I think this is very unprofessional. I understand we are talking about the wife on the show but some of us might find offense in this.
    My 2 cents worth.

Lori E. Copaus
    P. I. Trainee
    Well calling names is just low brow, There are good professionals and bad professionals in all walks of life. In a profession such as ours ugliness such as this could cause failure of an interrogation or an assignment, so keeping one's cool is of utmost importance. 2 cents, hum.

Professional Member of:
    I do agree with that Robert. I have met many bad professionals in my line of work.

(Retired Moderator)
    The Dog and his common-law wife, Beth finally tied the knot a couple of weeks ago. The night before their wedding, his eldest daughter was killed, I think in an auto accident. The decision was made by unanimous vote of the entire Chapman family - to carry on with the wedding. I have enclosed a link to his website. CLICK HERE >DOG'S WEBSITE

It's a very well put together website, one of the best I've seen. There is a profile on each/all of them. Dog's story of his life and times is truly inspirational.

There is also a "contact us" link there for those who would wish to send condolences or blessings, and also a snail mail address.

Stormy Renner - is offline *** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum
    I saw this show for the first time a few days ago and it is great! I don't know how I have missed it all this time but I'm glad I found it.
    Stormy Dawn Renner
    Private Investigator
    License # 200621001131

Professional Member of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne Knight
    The Dog and his common-law wife, Beth finally tied the knot a couple of weeks ago. The night before their wedding, his eldest daughter was killed, I think in an auto accident. The decision was made by unanimous vote of the entire Chapman family - to carry on with the wedding. I have enclosed a link to his website. CLICK HERE >DOG'S WEBSITE

It's a very well put together website, one of the best I've seen. There is a profile on each/all of them. Dog's story of his life and times is truly inspirational.

There is also a "contact us" link there for those who would wish to send condolences or blessings, and also a snail mail address.
    I looked at that website and could not find what you were saying.

(Retired Moderator)
    Tragic story on vehicle accident that killed the Dog's daughter -
    click here > CLICK HERE FOR NEWS ARTICLE.

Stormy Renner - is offline *** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum
    How tragic that is. It would be so difficult to go on with a wedding with that on your mind. My heart goes out to Dog.
    Stormy Dawn Renner
    Private Investigator
    License # 200621001131

Professional Member of:
    I would like to send my best wishes out to the Chapmen Family.

Thanks for sharing this, I really like Dog and Beth and am really saddened by this. He has shared his happiness and heart aches on the show and I feel like I know them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast