Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 100+ arrested for identity theft, piracy, hacking, counterfeiting in Web Snare

I would like to thank Edward for the information on e-mail fraud. I didn't realize the extent of identity fraud and how it is obtained. The amount lost in a year is unbeliveable. The web site links are also very informative. I have found a lot of information on the forum that has been very informative. I am learning so much from all of you I am sure I will be able to use later in my training. Thanks to all.

I was a victim of identity thief,my ex-wife used my ss.# for about 2yrs
    but the courts did put her behind bars,as of now I don't know where she at and don't care.

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings Patrick, sorry to hear about you being victimize by someone you once cared about, sometimes it helps in educating us of the dangers thats out there.

Have a great day.

Thanks for the information. Michele

Derek E Moore is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks for the info
    Derek E. Moore
    Badge #11527

What I don't understand is when you apply for a credit card, the bank charges you per year to have "Idenity Theft Protection". Major banks do this. We as the consumer shouldn't have to pay for this.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Tallia
    What I don't understand is when you apply for a credit card, the bank charges you per year to have "Idenity Theft Protection". Major banks do this. We as the consumer shouldn't have to pay for this.
    David,

The point is that someone has to pay for the protection or the insurance.

• If it is really protection against the possibility of someone stealing your identity from the bank, the bank should pay for it as a cost of doing business.
    • If it is an insurance program to pay for the costs that you incur in trying to recover, then you should pay for it. But, the bank is charging you far more than it costs - they make a big profit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    David,

The point is that someone has to pay for the protection or the insurance.

• If it is really protection against the possibility of someone stealing your identity from the bank, the bank should pay for it as a cost of doing business.
    • If it is an insurance program to pay for the costs that you incur in trying to recover, then you should pay for it. But, the bank is charging you far more than it costs - they make a big profit on it.
    Usually its a % of your cc balance per month. That can be quite expensive for some people.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Tallia
    Usually its a % of your cc balance per month. That can be quite expensive for some people.
    David,

I would ask them what they were actually providing. For the rich who pay their bills in full, this is not a problem, but for real people, it could be excessive.

I would suspect that you are paying for something that you may not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    David,

I would ask them what they were actually providing. For the rich who pay their bills in full, this is not a problem, but for real people, it could be excessive.

I would suspect that you are paying for something that you may not need.

Good point, A good friend of mine approached me regarding this. He gets calls from "Discover" every day and won't stop calling him. He's also on the "Do Not Call List".

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    edward,thanks for the update,i hope this program continues,the issue is ongoing and now i hear the postal service is also working on it.

Thanks for this topic and information. I went to the link and became even more concerned about how easy it is to fall for these 00000. I usually think I am aware and alert, yet, how clever these people are at getting what they want.

Hugh Brown Jr is offline Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member Corporate Agency Owner

Professional Member of:
    Thanks Edward it's good to hear that they are doing something about Idenity Theft.

After reading these posts, it reminds me to pull my credit history.
    I haven't check for fraudulant activity for a couple years now...

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:

Thumbs up thank-you

thanks ed for the info I as many others knew this was a problem but, I had no idea it was so wide spreed I want to get into identity theft, and anti pircy, It looks like I am going to have my hands full! thanks again for the update!!

I just wanted to add to this thread after reading the posts. I think this is an epidemic, however, it seems that if we want to conduct ID theft investigations in the private sector we'll have to do some thorough research. Secondly, would a victim actually seek out an investigator for help or depend solely on the police department? Perhaps they will try to handle the situation themselves, never bringing the perpetrator(s) to justice - simply trying the fix their credit and reputation. There's food for thought here - how can we enter into this equation unless we work for an agency that happens to have a few cases?

I had identity theft from my ex-wife police could not find her
    so i did it myself,it took me two weeks but if her and sent the police to pick her up.

Sounds to me like you should count this incident as experience for you in the field of skip tracing. What happened to her, if you don't mind me asking?

I never even heard of this!!!

June 7, 2005
    Personal Data for 3.9 Million Lost in Transit
    "In one of the largest breaches of data security to date, CitiFinancial, the consumer finance subsidiary of Citigroup, announced yesterday that a box of computer tapes containing information on 3.9 million customers was lost by UPS last month, while in transit to a credit reporting agency. Executives at Citigroup said the tapes were picked up by U.P.S. early in May and had not been seen since. The tapes contained names, addresses, Social Security numbers, account numbers, payment histories and other details on small personal loans made to millions of customers through CitiFinancial's network of more than 1,800 lending branches, or through retailers whose product financing was handled by CitiFinancial's retail services division. The company said there was no indication that the tapes had been stolen or that any of the data in them had been compromised. It was, however, the latest in a series of recent data-security failures involving nearly every kind of institution that compiles personal information - ranging from data brokers like ChoicePoint and LexisNexis to financial institutions like Bank of America and Wachovia to the media giant Time Warner to universities like Boston College and the University of California, Berkeley. All these institutions have reported data breaches in the last five months, affecting millions of individuals..."

Do the following immediately for financial identity theft:
    1.contact the three big credit reporting agencies and alert them to the fraud.

2.Ask each of the big three credit reporting agencies for your free copy of your credit report and go over it very carefully.When you call them use the voise prompt to request that your free credit report be sent immediately.

3. Cotact all credit grantors-Department stores,utility companies,credit card issuers ect.-with when you believe your name may have been used fraudulently.

4. Report the inceident to police or sheriff in your local area and also where the crime was committed.

5. Start a log of all your contcts with authorities and financial instituations, including those you've already contacted in steps 1-3.

6.Complete a uniform ID Theft affidavit.

7.Carefully monitor your mail,credit card bills,and credit reports for evidence of new fraudulent activity.

Thats a start there is of course a lot more in a letter writting campain.

Professional Member of:
    Thanks John, for the ideas on what to do if this happens to me.

Can you answer these questions about ID theft?
    1. If you don't use a computer,or if you do but never use the internet,you don't have to worry about becoming a victim of id theft True or False?
    2. If your credit card always stays safely in your wallet,you don't have to worry about someone abusing them? True or false?
    3. The most important method to shield yourself from becoming a victim of financial id theft is to order your credit reports at least twice a year from the major credit reporting agencies. True or false?
    4. It's safer to use a credit card than your personal check? True or False.
    5. Your transactions are more secure when you use an ATM debit card with a Visa/Master card logo than if you use a regular credit card? True or False?

Answers
    1.False
    2.False
    3.True
    4.True
    5.False
    If you want to know why the answer is True or false post your question and I will answer as best i can.

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Financial Identity Theft

Hi John.

Thanks for the advice about Identity theft.

I don't want to cause undue alarm, but my financial advisory service has reported that last December, a laptop computer containing a number of names, mine among them, was stolen from an offsite location. The company has assured me that there is not any information that, by itself, could be used for identity theft. I seriously doubt I'm a target, but I still intend to take precautions, since we as investigators know that "hacking" is possible.

Also to note, the individual who was responsible for violating company security policy by not properly securing the computer has been terminated from his employment. I say this since any computer, especially those used in home business, should be properly secured so as to prevent theft and unauthorized access.

Thanks for reading.

Johnny G.

Exclamation Phishing 00000 get more serious

I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone figured out how to do this.

A very serious warning for suspected phishing schemes: NEVER follow a link from an email without typing it in your browser.

The newest method is to "spoof" the URL with fancy javascript and window frames to make the site your viewing look authentic. You could be at a totally different site than where you think you are not only because the site asthetically looks authentic, but the URL in the address bar appears to be the site where you think you are.

If you MUST follow a link from an email, don't just click on it anymore... copy and paste it into a NEW browser window.

Johnny G It is wise to take precausions,this could be a first step in getting information. They get a little info fron there maybe a little from your mail and advertisements that you throw away. and soon thay know more about you than you know about youe self.
    (It's not a matter of if you will become a victim of id theft It's a matter of when.)

Quote Originally Posted by John W Tuthill
    Johnny G It is wise to take precausions,this could be a first step in getting information. They get a little info fron there maybe a little from your mail and advertisements that you throw away. and soon thay know more about you than you know about youe self.
    (It's not a matter of if you will become a victim of id theft It's a matter of when.)
    I hope these dumpster divers enjoy confetti. *Snickers 'nyah ha haaaaa' at their misfortune*. I have a major shred party going on in the new place, once I'm there.

Johnny G
    What kinda shredder do you use.single or cross shredder,in a single type strips can be put back together.
    Have you read the artical by Mary K Toney (cybertool for ID Theft investigations) Outstanding artical,covers it real well.

Quote Originally Posted by John W Tuthill
    Johnny G
    What kinda shredder do you use.single or cross shredder,in a single type strips can be put back together.
    Have you read the artical by Mary K Toney (cybertool for ID Theft investigations) Outstanding artical,covers it real well.
    Hi John T.

I have a cross cutter shredder. It makes life easier for me and more difficult for the offenders.

I'll read Mary's article tonight. Thanks.

I have a shredder and I use it regularly. I found it interesting that identity thieves use some of the same tactics and techniques PIs use to develop evidence.
    Jerry E. Hargrove, PhD
    Badge # 11155

Professional Member of:
    I use a shredder also but I burn my paperwork after Iam finish.

Greetings Everyone, I do hope all is well with you all at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hargrove
    I found it interesting that identity thieves use some of the same tactics and techniques PIs use to develop evidence.
    Yes, with the exception of the "world’s dummies criminals" the only one's we can laugh at.

Make no mistake about the sophistication of these individuals; just as you take precautions in securing your identity they try just as hear to steal it. I’m very confident that anywhere and everywhere there’s new technology to help protect the consumer they’re present, that’s why awareness is very important.

PS: for a couple of months now I’ve notice a lot of 24ft trucks baring the name “Mobile shredder/shredding” around my location. Hmmm.

Have a great day.
    JoI

Professional Member of:
    The more we get the criminals plays the more they develop more.

Greetings Hugh, you have to understand that these inviduals spend 24hrs a day thinking about how to commit their crime, so if your days only has 8-9 hours then, you're hours behind them.

You also have to understand they can be any and everywhere so everytime you leave the privacy of your home wheter it be walking, mobile, on the net etc. you have to be on the alert. (awareness).

Have a great day.
    JoI

Professional Member of:
    Thanks Jerome, I hope that with my background that it will give me a edge when doing this kind of work.

Greetings Hugh, you're most welcome Sir. I hope your studies are going well for you, 7 years in security will definately give you an edge no doubt.

The one thing these "Perps" aren't counting on is our persistance and comittment in catching them.

PS: I see you're mastering the forum software, great job!

All the best to you on your journey.

Have a great day.
    JoI

Professional Member of:
    I am still trying but I have alot to learn. I have tried to use my seven years in security for jobs in PI work.

Thanks

I feel sorry for anyone trying to steal my Identity. My credit is so bad right now they can only fix it for me. LOL LOL LOL

Greetings Rafael, nice to see you and welcome to the bad credit club where I'm also a member. haha! haha! hehe!

I kinda like paying cash for everything, keeps my spending down, if I don't have the money I don't shop. This totally goes against the American Way of : Buy now, Pay Later, so I pretend to myself that I'm helping to Re-form Others .

Have a great day.
    JoI

Professional Member of:
    I like to do the samething by trying to pay cash for everything.

Greetings Hugh, I recieve about a hundred and fifty Junk Emails per day, about 75% of them are companies offering secured credit cards, 15% are stuff that they say I've won, Yeah right! well it could happen. :sad: then divide the rest between ads for colleges, real estate, loans etc.

I use to just delete the bulk folder until I saw the email from IPIU mixed in with the trash, It's dosen't happen alot, only when they send me promotional stuff.

Right now I feel just as confident as Rafael.

Have a great day.
    JoI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast