Thread: GEORGIA LAW: Bounty Hunter

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]Bounty hunter must be at least 25 years old, must be a U.S. citizen, must obtain a gun permit, and must notify the local police of the intended arrest.

Bondsmen must register with the sheriff of the county in which the bondsman is a resident all bail recovery agents that he employs.

A bounty hunter must carry identification cards issued by bondsman, which describe the bounty hunter's physical appearance, and contains the bondsman's signature.

Bounty hunter cannot wear clothing or carry badges suggesting that he is a public employee.

An out of state recovery agent must be able to prove that he is licensed in his home state, or hire a Georgia bounty hunter if there is no licensing law in his home state. Ga. Code § 17-6-56 through 17-6-58.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

The law states exactly what is writen above. What it doesn't say is now in many counties in GA you are required to be a member of the Georgia Association of Professional Bondsman ad be a registered Bail Recovery Agent with them. Most Metro Atlanta counties (Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton (Others may be requiring)) require an ID issued by the sheriff's department or an additional background check before allowing you to work as a Bail Recovery Agent (Bounty Hunter) in their counties. Also, make sure that the bondsman has registered you properly. If your caught working a case and are not properly registered with that bonding company and the sheriff's department you could be facing jail time.

Are you a bounty hunter?
    I am now awaiting my test results. what steps should I take to get into bounty hunting?
    Thank you for your help.

Bear on line

Hey Jeremiah,

The first step to becoming a Bail Recovery Agent in Georgia is to find a mentor. Find someone that will train you the right way to do the job. This is a dangerous field and you can wined up dead if you don't know how to deal with certain situations. Remember that you will be bringing people back to jail that in some cases would rather die then go back to jail. Learn form someone that has been doing this for a while. Work with them for about a year before trying to do it on your own. Remember always work with a partner for atleast 2 reasons.

Reason 1. You have someone to watch your back.
    Reason 2. If things go bad (and they can go bad real quick) you have a witness to the actions. Someone on your side. The family and friends of they guy your trying to apprehend will always be against you.

The second thing to do is find a sponser (a bondsman) that will let you work for them. You'll need a sponser to get a GAPB card. Don't just go by what they say is the law, read it and learn it for yourself. A bondsman will not standup for you in court and say "Yes, I told him the law." It's your butt on the line so cover it. Also, check with the local sheriff's department and get the proper methods for registering to work in there county. If your not registered and your caught turning someone in, you will go to jail.

Third, drop the name Bounty Hunter from vocabulary. It has a very negative persona with law enforcement. Remember GA law states that you are a Bail Recovery Agent. Read GA law sections 17-6-56 thru 17-6-58. No where does it say Bounty Hunter. It says Bail Recovery Agent.

Go to the Georgia Association of Professional Bail Bondsman link above to read the laws and soforth. Also feel free to contact Kim Brooks with the GAPB. She can answer some of your questions. If she can't drop me a line @ mrehak@hotmail.com I'll see if I can help you.

Peace man, be safe.

Michael Rehak
    IPIU - Member
    GAPB - Agent Member

Thank you Michael.
    I realize that thos is a potentially line of work so I will gladly accept any more information you are willing to share.
    I have the name of a bail enforcement officer and I will try to contact Kim Brooks.
    Another question for you. Do you enjoy this and doesw it pay?
    Again, thank you.

Bear on line

Hey Jeremiah,

I enjoy the work because its challenging. The pay can be good depending on where you are willing to work. I have friends that do it full time and make very good money doing it then I have some that do it part time and do ok for a second income. It really depends on how fast you can close cases. Where in Georgia do you live?

Michael Rehak

I am not far from Atlanta.

Bear on line

Dropper Guest

What badges are you allowed to wear?

Just out of curiosity, what badges can bail enforcement wear?

Badge

Guy's in Bail Recovery wear a variety of badges. Depends on preference. Mine looks like a U.S. Marshal's badge. However it must clearly state Bail Recovery Agent (atleast in GA). The GA law refer's to us as Bail Recovery Agents so that is the only legal term that can be used. Check the statue's for the state you plan on working in to determine the proper name used in that state.

Michael Rehak

Dropper Guest

Thanks for the reply...

I am thinking about doing this. I know the law in GA states that you can't wear clothing/badges that would make people think that you are a public servant.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Re: Thanks for the reply...

Originally posted by Dropper
    I am thinking about doing this. I know the law in GA states that you can't wear clothing/badges that would make people think that you are a public servant.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.
    Hi Dropper.

Your User Name will be deleted soon. Please register again (see the small "register" button at the top of this page).

Please carefully read the rules and application, and choose your User Name as your first and last name.

Helpful links:

Privacy Statement:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1228

Sample Application Rules:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1039

Lightbulb How about girls in this game, Michael?

Originally posted by Michael Rehak
    I enjoy the work because its challenging. The pay can be good depending on where you are willing to work. Michael Rehak
    Thanks for your generous advise. The Atlanta area is where I will be, though I am willing to work statewide, if the clients are sufficient enough to cover the cost of the many county licenses.

That is a distant issue though. I am currently in legal collections and just beginning to explore the opportunities in the PI field.

It occurs to me that a female Bail Recovery Agent may be a good product to offer for the bondsmen in GA. We seem to have no shortage of female criminals!

Do you have any ideas about the need for female agents, or the likelyhood of me being able to make any money in this field? Mind you, I am not looking just for the money, I am genuinely interested in law enforcement and have discipline and courage in my bag of skills. But, as you pointed out, this is a particularly dangerous division of the PI field, and I want to go in with my eyes clear and open.

Partners in Anti-Crime
    Anne Lane

Hey Anne Lane,

Welcome. Here's the deal. You'll be as good at doing bail recovery as you make yourself. The only problem that I see is trying to sell yourself to a bondsman. Many bondsman might think that you might get hurt in this line of work since it can get rough really quick.

Atlanta has alot of skips but most dont pay that much. The high paying cases are being run by select bonding companies due to a recent explot of the of the Sheriff's department in Fulton County. The bondsmen in Atlanta brought to the public via a news release that the courts were releasing people on there own recog and it really slapped them in the face. There were murderers, rapeist, and robbers in the bunch. It was impacting the bonding business so they stood their ground. The Sheriff got back by only allowing few companies to write county bonds.

I think that there is a place for female agents in the business. They can get places most of us can't, like right next to the person your looking for. Many times they are under estimated and can really utilize the element of suprise.

I'd recommend if your interested in law enforcement, go to work for one of the departments around Atlanta like Cobb County or Gwinnett County. There you will get the training for law enforcement. Bail Recovery is a totally different world all together. Just a suggestion. However if you choose to do Bail Recovery exspect to work long hours for little money at first to build a name. Once you get known, you'll be able to make ends meet. Its a hard life, but if you have what it takes you can be very successful.

Keep your head up.

Michael Rehak

Just what I needed to hear...

Originally posted by Michael Rehak
    I think that there is a place for female agents in the business. ...
    Keep your head up.

Michael Rehak
    You are the greatest, Michael. You gave me some great details and history I needed. And, you stroked me with the confirmation that females CAN offer some valuable skills and opportunities to get the job done, or person apprehended.

But, only if she is properly trained, and in the right mindset.

You and I are on the same page as far as my getting some law enforcement formal training. I have applied to the Dekalb Co. Sheriff Dept, for the deputy position performing process serving.
    Do you know of any other 'entry level' positions that might be available in other counties?

I might be a bit older than many of the folks entering law enforcement, and am concerned that it might keep me from being hired by the actual government departments. I may have to patiently 'work the crowds' of the independent agencies.

Thank you, again, for the quick and attentive response. Expect to hear from me again!

Partners in Anti-crime
    Anne Lane

Talking Other Law Enforcement Oppotunities

I think you'll do fine just keep the positive attitude. As far as the law enforcement opportunities go, check around the counties that surround you and check the Sheriff Departments to see if they have Reserve Officer positions. These jobs don't pay you money but they do get you training. Much needed training. Remember this. If you take a job working under the color of Blue (Law Enforcement) you can't do Bail Recovery at the same time. At that time you are a sworn officer and are bound my the duties of the law.

Bail Recovery Agents have the legal right to break and enter a residence to apprehend a fugitive. Law Enforcement Officers have to get a Warrant to search the residence for a fugitive. See the difference. No Sheriff's department will allow you to do Bail Recovery while working for them, you become a serious liability to the department due to lawsuits and such. Also, Bail Recovery Agents can not present themselves as a law enforcement person. Those that do it can be sent to jail, thats bad jue jue. Our job is to put them back, not pay them visits .

I think the best route for you to take is get the training from a Sheriff Department, get some time under your belt in the field, then if you still want to pursue Bail Recovery you'll be better prepared for what you will run into. There is a lot to learn but like I said, women are successful in this business aswell. Here is a percentage for you. 35% - 40% of the people involved in this kind of business are female. That should tell you that women can do the job.

Good luck and be safe,

Michael Rehak

Cool Bingo!

You are so good to me, Michael Rehak!

The Reserve Officer position sounds perfect for me...training in the field, exposure to the departments and authorities, and time to build my reputation as capable and dependable.

I will put out the fishing lines this week to the eastern counties.

Bail Recovery is a deep and earnest interest of mine, so I want to make my approach to the field a straight one, with plenty of thrust. Bail Bondsmen certainly won't waste precious recovery time on an unproved agent. And, honestly, I wouldn't put them or me at that kind of risk.

Thank you so much for the tip and the caution alert. That is just the kind of info a greenhorn like me needs. It would have been devastating to blow a career and a legal record just from a lack of knowledge and too much ambition. As a Reserve Officer I will concentrate on my duties at hand first, and expanding my training continuously, and then exploring the opportunities to switch to a career in bail recovery.

Keep an eye on me, Mr. Rehak, I will follow your advice, and I hope to make you proud. Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you, either in the legal collections field, skiptracing, asset location, or any perspective this policeman's daughter can share.

We are winning the war to free Iraq and bring Saddam Hussein to justice! Be informed and grateful.

Partners in Worldwide Anti-Crime
    Anne Lane

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bridgestone
    [b]Bounty hunter must be at least 25 years old, must be a U.S. citizen, must obtain a gun permit, and must notify the local police of the intended arrest.
    I am not a US Citizen, just legal resident... so, for me, this is out of the question... (just like process server)?

Hello Madeline, I Was Wondering If You Could Relay The Info For Being In The Legal Collection Field.

Look who I found.....I assume that Michael Rehak is your co-worker?? I love this internet thingy.

k

Good morning.

My name is Eric Brown. I have a Risk Management / Counterintelligence Agency in Georgia. We're growing and certainly headed in the right direction, but as in most start-ups, bosses gets paid last, so my partner and I are looking to become bail recovery agents for supplemental income.

We both meet the requirements for Georgia Bail Recovery Agents, have training, equipment, resources, and recently qualified on the range with Claude Fox. We believe we have our arms around most of the dynamics of the business, but need some help on getting pointed in the right direction to get connected with a good bail bondsman and present ourselves properly to get decent work.

We understand we may have to start with petty cases and work our way up, but we're ok with that. We're about a couple of months away from funding and picking up some good cases on the RM & TSCM side of the house, so we're not going for the gold on Bail Recovery; however, if we experience a moderate level of success we may consider including Bail Recovery as a new offering.

I saw this thread and figured I'd drop by... any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

EB

I am a licensed PI and I have my company license as well. I am trying to step up my business. I have a few employees that were asking about being Bail Recovery Agents, so I am trying to figure out how to add BRA's to my companies profolio. I don't want to be the one out on the hunt I want to have the guys that work with me go out. PLEASE point me in the right direction.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Re: GEORGIA LAW: Bounty Hunter

From Internet Resource:
    Bounty Hunting in Georgia is regulated by the Georgia General Assembly in conjunction with the Georgia Association of Professional Bondsmen, an organization that promotes high standards of conduct and cooperation between bondsmen and the criminal justice system and also offers options for education and training. As such, there is much legislation designed to uphold safe and effective fugitive recovery practices. Bounty Hunters are known as “fugitive recovery agents” in Georgia and they hold the power to arrest fugitives even if they resist arrest.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Georgia

To become a Bounty Hunter in Georgia one must complete a continuing education course through the GAPB and find a company that is willing to hire them as a Bail Recovery Agent. Then, they must obtain and send a copy of their driver’s license and firearms permit and picture to the GAPB along with a Bail Recovery Application and a $50 licensing fee. This application must be renewed every year in order to ensure the continuing education of Bounty Hunters in Georgia.

Georgia Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Bail Recovery Agents a.k.a Bounty Hunters in Georgia must be at least 25 years old, a resident of the state for one year, and a US citizen. They cannot be a fugitive from the law, have pending charges, be a patient of a mental hospital or drug treatment program within the last five years, or a convicted felon. Bounty Hunters must carry an identification card that bears a description of their appearance and signature and may not wear a uniform that identifies them in any way as a public official. This card is obtained through the GAPB as outlined above.