Thread: CONNECTICUT LAW: Bounty Hunter

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]Requires licensing, training (20 hours of study), and background checks (no felony record).

Police officers are forbidden from being bounty hunters.

Bounty hunters must notify local police before making an arrest, and cannot carry wear clothes or carry a badge suggesting he is an agent of the state or federal government. C.G.S.A. § 29-152e through §29-152l.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Unhappy Can you help?

I am assuming for New York State it is about the same if not worse/harder to obtain a bail bonds certificate in order to do fugitive enforcement. Can you help? I can't seem to find laws or places in NYS that do so.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

You may not need a bail license to do bounty hunting in NYC.

I have emailed another member to help answer your question.

I was wondering how one gets the training on becoming a bounty hunter? I am new to the forums and have not found much info on this topic. How does one get into this field of work? Any info would be great...

Question Questions

Two questions:

Where would one get the trainning to become a licensed bounty hunter?

Do you need to be licensed to be a bails bondsman, if so is the trainning the same as a bounty hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bridgestone
    [b]Requires licensing, training (20 hours of study), and background checks (no felony record).

Police officers are forbidden from being bounty hunters.

Bounty hunters must notify local police before making an arrest, and cannot carry wear clothes or carry a badge suggesting he is an agent of the state or federal government. C.G.S.A. § 29-152e through §29-152l.
    Correct me if I am wrong or if I read it improperly. But it doesnt make any sense to me that you can not wear any identifiable clothing that representes you as an agent if you are an agent. That is saying that anyone could present themselves as an agent and ransack your property looking for you. Again it doesnt sound right but I may just be reading it wrong.

Hi Donald,
    I agree with you 100%. This can be quit the problem and I would hope that one would have to prove himself to be a bounty hunter and not just some individual off the street.

I re-read the post myself a few times and I think what it is saying is that, as a bounty hunter, you are a private business and not an agent of the State or Government, and therefore, cannot pose yourself as one, i.e. a police officer or a State Marshall.

Hey Donald,

I found the explanation, here it is.

Recent legislation requires that you use the term "Bail Enforcement Agents" and that your outer clothing be marked in a specific way. These shirts and badge are Approved by the State of Connecticut. Any other marked outer clothing or badge use is prohibited in the State of Connecticut.

The photos that were present with this statement showed a badge & t-shirt that said BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT. Apparently, the prohibits that they mention is that the ONLY thing your clothing or badge is allowed to say is just that of a BEA and nothing more.

I was just curious as to who it is that I would need to contact in order to take a course to be a bail enforcement agent in Connecticut. If anyone could guide me I'd appreciate it. Thanks Steve A.

Hey Steve,
    go to this forum site
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums//showthre...0&goto=newpost
    You will find several messages from both myself and Jesse regarding your very question.
    The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Badge #6942

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Anthony
    I was just curious as to who it is that I would need to contact in order to take a course to be a bail enforcement agent in Connecticut. If anyone could guide me I'd appreciate it. Thanks Steve A.

This site as well as the link that I have posted below are great places to start. They can both get you on your way to being a successfull Bail Enforcement agent.

http://www.bondforfeitures.com/mo.htm

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Re: CONNECTICUT LAW: Bounty Hunter

From Internet Resource:
    Bounty Hunters are known as professional bondsmen, a surety bond agent, or a bail enforcement agent in Connecticut. Licensing is required in the state and Bounty Hunters must also work closely with local law enforcement while pursuing fugitives. Furthermore, training and background checks are necessary. As such, Connecticut is one of the more stringent states in which to become a Bounty Hunter, but, with proper training, can also be a rewarding state in which to work.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Connecticut

To become a Bounty Hunter in Connecticut an individual may not be a felon or a police officer. They must also submit to background checks and undertake 20 hours of formal training. The formal training must be approved by the Commissioner of Safety and include cover one or more of the following subjects: use of force, laws of arrest, search and seizure, constitutional laws/criminal justice system.

Connecticut Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Bounty Hunter Licenses in Connecticut are issued through the Commissioner of Public Safety. In order to apply one must submit two 2” x 2” photographs, completed fingerprint cards, four character references, a credit bureau report, and a copy of a high school diploma, GED, or college transcript, to the Department of Public Safety. Furthermore, Bail Recovery Agents engaged in an arrest must wear a shirt or vest with two reflective yellow stripes and the words “Bail Enforcement Agents” in full on the front and back. They also must wear their identification card visibly above their waist.