Thread: PI LICENSING: Hawaii

PI LICENSING: Hawaii

NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED IF you fall into the following:
    §463-13 Exemptions.
    • This chapter does not apply to any person, firm, company, partnership, or corporation or any bureau or agency whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information as to the business and financial standing and credit responsibility of persons, firms, or corporations;
    • This chapter does not apply to any person, firm, company, partnership, or corporation or any bureau or agency whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information as to personal habits and financial responsibility, of applicants for insurance;
    • This chapter does not apply to any person, firm, company, partnership, or corporation or any bureau or agency whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information indemnity bonds;
    • This chapter does not apply to any person, firm, company, partnership, or corporation or any bureau or agency whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information commercial credit;
    • This chapter does not apply to any person employed exclusively and regularly by one employer in connection with the affairs of such employer only and where there exists an employer-employee relationship;
    • This chapter does not appy to an attorney at law in performing the attorney's duties as such attorney at law.
    [L 1961, c 77, pt of §1; Supp, §165A-13; HRS §463-13; gen ch 1985]

OTHERWISE:
    §463-6 Private detectives and detective agencies; qualifications for license. (a) The board may grant a private detective license to any suitable individual, or a detective agency license to any suitable firm, joint venture, sole proprietorship that hires resident employees, corporation, partnership, or association making written application therefor. The applicant, if an individual, or the principal detective of a firm, joint venture, sole proprietorship that hires resident employees, corporation, partnership, or association, shall:

(1) Be not less than eighteen years of age;

(2) Have had a high school education or its equivalent;

(3) Have had experience reasonably equivalent to at least four years of full-time investigational work;

(4) Not be presently suffering from any psychiatric or psychological disorder which is directly related and detrimental to a person's performance in the profession; and

(5) Not have been convicted in any jurisdiction of a crime which reflects unfavorably on the fitness of the applicant to engage in the profession, unless the conviction has been annulled or expunged by court order.

(b) A detective agency may employ as many agents, operatives, and assistants in an investigative capacity and as necessary for the conduct of business; provided that the principal detective shall be held responsible for the acts of those employees while they are acting within the scope and purpose of the detective agency's business. The principal detective shall be responsible for the direct management and control of those employees. These employees shall not be required to have private detective licenses, and shall:

(1) Have had an eighth grade education or its equivalent;

(2) Not be presently suffering from any psychiatric or psychological disorder which is directly related and detrimental to a person's performance in the profession;

(3) Not have been convicted in any jurisdiction of a crime which reflects unfavorably on the fitness of the employee to engage in the profession, unless the conviction has been annulled or expunged by court order; and

(4) Be registered with the board upon employment with the agency.

The employer, with the written authorization of the employee, may conduct a criminal history records check of all new employees directly through the Hawaii criminal justice data center upon certification to the board that the signature on the authorization is authentic and that the employee is employed in an investigative capacity.

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: PI LICENSING: Hawaii

Originally posted by Legal Affairs

(3) Have had experience reasonably equivalent to at least four years of full-time investigational work;
    Got a question on this one. Do I have to have the four years of investigation work in order to get my license?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Last edited by Edward Taguba; 04-15-2004 at 01:10 AM.

Professional Member of:
    Aloha,

Anyone know of an answer to my question?

Thanks,
    Ed

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    The way that I interpret it is that 4 years experience is neccessary for opening your own agency. It implies in part (b) that you do not need a license or experience to work for a firm that is already licensed.
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Professional Member of:
    Darin,

So this means that I can get my license?

Thanks,
    Ed

Professional Member of:

Unhappy

I called the office in Hawaii regarding license. In order to apply or a license the above are the requirements. That means one who don't have 4 years of somewhat experience in the field cannot apply untill you have at least 4 years of somewhat experience. I will get experience once IPIU helps out with finding placements then I'll gain experience, but why Hawaii has to have a 4 year? we should change it to at least 6 months. *sigh*
    Last edited by Edward Taguba; 04-15-2004 at 01:11 AM.

Originally posted by Edward Taguba
    I called the office in Hawaii regarding license. In order to apply or a license the above are the requirements. That means one who don't have 4 years of somewhat experience in the field cannot apply untill you have at least 4 years of somewhat experience. I will get experience once IPIU helps out with finding placements then I'll gain experience, but why Hawaii has to have a 4 year? we should change it to at least 6 months. *sigh*
    You could always just start your own agency as an "owner", hire a part-time licensed investigator to "manage" your cases, and get the experience (and the higher profits) from owning and working under his/her license.

(We have a members-only forum that explores this subject)

Professional Member of:

Talking

I am a member I just have to wait for the photo ID and COE to come it. If I already signed the COE via email. I know a hard copy will be mailed. Do they have to wait till my hard copy comes in before I can get access to the other levels?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Last edited by Edward Taguba; 04-15-2004 at 01:11 AM.

Originally posted by Edward Taguba
    Do they have to wait till my hard copy comes in before I can get access to the other levels?

Thanks,
    Ed
    If you're due for an upgrade, then just email upgrade@ipiu.org to save mail time.

Professional Member of:

Lightbulb

Here is a list of what you need in order to get your license in Hawaii

EXAMINATION AND BOARD INTERVIEW

EXAMINATION

The Examination is held monthly.

After the application is processed, applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Applicants must report to the proctor at least 15 minutes in advance.

Applicants must attain a score of at least 75%

Within 6 weeks after the exam, written notification of the results will be mailed. TO protect the privacy of applicants, results are not released over the phone.

Passing applicants will be sent, in addition to the exam results, information regarding applying for a license. Failing applicants will be sent, in addition to the exam results, information regarding retaking the examination.

BOARD INTERVIEW

The board usually meets in February, April, June, August, October and December.

Passing candidates will be scheduled for appearance before the board for an interview. Failing candidates will be sent, in addition to the exam results, information on retaking the examination.

When the meeting date is determined, a written notice will be sent to the applicant containing the date, time, and place of the Board meeting.

In the even the applicant cannot make the scheduled interview, the Executive Officer of the Board should be notified to reschedule the date.

Board Meeting Schedule
    Thursday, February 14, 2002
    Thursday, April 4, 2002
    Thursday, June 6, 2002
    Thursday, August 1, 2002
    Thursday, October 3, 2002
    Thursday, December 5, 2002

APPLYING FOR LICENSE

BOND

After the Board gives final approval, you will be required to submit a bond of not less than $5,000 (form provided by the board)

LICENSE FEES

1. If a license is issued between July 1, even-numbered year to June 30, odd-numbered year, pay $210.00. (License fee - $25.0, Compliance Resolution Fund - $110.00 ½ Renewal fee - $75.00)
    2. If a license is issued between Jly 1, odd-numbered year to June 30, even-numbered year, pay $80.00 (License fee - $25.00, Compliance Resolution Fund - $55.00)

NOTE:

One of the numerous legal requirements that you must meet in order for your new license to issue is the payment of fees as set forth in this application. You may be sent a license certificate before the check you sent us for your required license fee and your license will not be valid, and you may not do business under that license. Also, a $15.00 services fee will be charged for checks which are returned by the bank.

MAINTAINING YOUR LICENSE

BOND

Maintain a bond in force at all times. Failure to maintain bonding will result in automatic suspension.

BIENNIAL RENEWAL

All license expire on June 30, of each even-numbered year. All license, regardless of issuance date, are subject to renewal on or before the expiration date. Payment of renewal fees, information relative to conviction of the licensee of a crime which reflects unfavorably on the fitness of the licensee to engage in the profession, whether any psychiatric or psychological treatment has been recommended to the licensee, and evidence of a current bond are required. Licensees renewing after the expiration date and within one year are required to restore their licenses and are assessed a penalty.

Licensees who do not restore their license within the one year period are required to file as new applicants.

1. Application for Private Detective
    2. Affixed photo to application
    3. $24.00 FBI fingerprint clearance request done at the HCJDC – Cash, Cashier Check, or Money Order
    4. $15.00 Criminal History Record fee – Cash, Cashier Check, or Money Order.
    5. Copy of High School Diploma
    6. Copy of College Degree (optional)
    7. First Check $50.00 Application Fee (not refundable) – Payable to COMMERCE & CONSUME AFFAIRS
    8. Second Check $50.00 Examination Fee – Payable to COMMERCE & CONSUMER AFFAIRS

PDF Application for Hawaii Private Dective License

Last edited by Edward Taguba; 11-04-2005 at 03:24 PM.

Edward Taguba, MBA, Ph.D.

Professional Global Technology Consultant
    http://www.edtaguba.com
    www.ipiu.org | www.privateinvestigators.cc

Hello, Ed

The DCCA Board of Directors isvery strict as far as their requirements. Trust me I went through the drama. I've seen them turn down retired law enforcement officer's with more than the minimum 4 yrs. get turned down for a license. If you would Like, I can speak to you privately by my email and speak more indebt about this issue. Contact me via email. Take care and hope to hear from you.

Mahalo,

Preston

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Update PI LICENSING: Hawaii

Hawaii has so much information, however most everything is in a PDF format, which will download immediately upon you clicking the link, it is best to go directly to the resource:

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/boards/private