THERE MAY BE 2 OR MORE PAGES
to this Topic!

Make sure you click on the Page Number at
the bottom and top of this Topic.

NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED IF you fall into the following:
  1. A person who is employed exclusively or regularly by one employer and performs investigations solely in connection with the affairs of that employer, if the employer is not a "private investigator agency";
  2. A person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information about the financial rating of persons;
  3. A person who is a forensic scientist, accident reconstructionist, or other person who performs similar functions and does not hold himself or herself out to be an investigator in any other capacity;
  4. A person solely engaged in the business of securing information about persons or property from public records.
  5. An officer or employee of the United States or of this state or a political subdivision thereof, while engaged in the performance of the officer's official duties;
  6. An attorney at law while performing the attorney's duties as an attorney;
  7. A licensed collection agency or its employee, while acting within the scope of that person's employment and making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency;
  8. Insurers, agents, and insurance brokers licensed by the state, while performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;
  9. A bank subject to the jurisdiction of the department of financial institutions or the comptroller of currency of the United States, or a savings and loan association subject to the jurisdiction of this state or the federal home loan bank board;
  10. A licensed insurance adjuster performing the adjuster's duties within the scope of the adjuster's license;
  11. A secured creditor engaged in the repossession of the creditor's collateral, or a lessor engaged in the repossession of leased property in which it claims an interest;

[2000 c 171 § 37; 1995 c 277 § 18; 1991 c 328 § 2.]
Interpretation:
An unlicensed private investigator can be employed by any law firm, insurance company, or other business that is not advertising as a private investigator agency. Once an unlicensed private investigator begins to solicit him/herself directly to the general public, then the following licensing guidelines take effect:

REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE

Private Investigative Agency (an individual, partnership, or corporation in the business of conducting investigations):

You must be at least eighteen years of age for unarmed and twenty-one years of age for armed; be a citizen or resident alien; have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinders public safety; possess three years compensated work experience in investigations; or pass an examination. If applying on the basis of exam, the exam will be scheduled within three weeks of receipt of a paid application. Prior to issuing the license, you must provide a certificate of insurance ($25,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage) or a $10,000 Surety Bond. The application fee is $350 and is non-refundable.

Unarmed Private Investigator (an individual that works for a licensed private investigative agency)

You must be at least eighteen years of age; be a citizen or resident alien; have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinders public safety; be employed by or have an employment offer from a licensed private investigative agency; complete pre-assignment training; and submit a set of fingerprints. Applications are submitted directly to the licensed private investigative agency you wish to work for.

Armed Private Investigator (an individual that works armed for a licensed private investigative agency; or is an agency principal):

You must be licensed as a unarmed private investigator or agency principal; be 21 years of age; submit two (2) fingerprint cards; and complete an eight-hour firearms certification through the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. Also, you can view their website for a listing of Firearm Instructors.

Certified Trainer (an endorsement to a license that allows an individual to provide the pre-assignment training):

PRE-REQUISITES: You must be licensed as a private investigative agency principal, an unarmed investigator, or an armed investigator, possess three years compensated work experience in investigations, and pass an examination given by the Department of Licensing.

APPLICATION FEES:
Private Investigator Agency:
With UnArmed Owner - $550

Private Investigator Agency:
With Armed Owner: $650

Unarmed Private Investigator $150

Armed Private Investigator $100

Certified Trainer $25

License Transfer $25

Exam Required for: Agency principal who does not possess the required experience, and Certified Trainers.

Most Asked Questions:

Where will I take the exam?

The exams are scheduled at driver's licensing offices around the state. The exam will be mailed to a licensing office near you. When the exam is completed it will be returned to this office to be scored.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When will I get the results?

A result letter will be mailed to you approximately ten days after you take your exam, indicating your score.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How often can I take the exam?

You must wait at least seven working days between exams. However, there is not limit to the amount of times you can take the exam.

How do I get re-scheduled if I don't pass?

A re-exam application will be mailed to you with the result letter if you didn't pass. It costs $25 each time you re-exam. Complete and return the application with the fee and you will be re-scheduled.

Once I've met the requirements, how long will it take to get the license?

The license is issued and available to be picked up or mailed the next business day.

If I'm just working for myself and do not want to hire employees, do I still have to get a agency license?

Yes. Anyone who works as a private investigator must be licensed either as a private investigative agency principal, or as an investigator licensed under an agency.

How do my employees get licensed?

Once your agency is licensed, you can submit applications for your employees. They are required to complete four hours of pre-assignment training from a licensed certified trainer. The certified trainer provides the training and signs the certification box on the front of the unarmed private investigator application.

How do I become a certified trainer?

Once you are a licensed private investigator and have three years of investigative experience, submit a certified trainer exam application with the $25 exam fee. An exam will be scheduled by the department. A passing score of 90% will qualifiy you to become a licensed certified trainer.

Can I have a certified trainer from another company give my employees the training?

Yes. Provided they are currently employed and hold a valid private investigator certified trainer's license.

STUDY FOR THE EXAM:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/pi/piexam.html

VERIFY A PI LICENSE:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/bpdLicenseQuery/

VERIFY A BUSINESS LICENSE:
http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusin...ybusiness/brd/
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/pi/

Links Updated 4/1/08