Thread: Non-regulated vs. Regulated Question

Non-regulated vs. Regulated

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ley

In short, if the agency is willing to invest in you and train you then you should be willing to sign something to protect them. After all is said and done you may have to work in a different town if you chose to leave the agency, but this is a small price to pay for the chance to get into the field.
    Do I have this right?

If I want to work non-regulated, then IPIU's advice is to complete my training, get to Level 4 and take on assignments with multiple agencies to increase my experience and pay.

But if I want to earn a "CC" or eventually a "C" license, I will need a sponsor and they generally require a non-compete agreement.

Does that mean that I would be unable to accept non-regulated IPIU-placed assignments from other agencies during the time I work for my sponsor?

My goal is to do investigative work approximately 20 hours per week and to maximize my income within those 20 hours. I'm trying to determine which path best matches my objective - stick with IPIU-placed non-regulated assignments or pursue a license.

Thanks all for the extremely helpful information!

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn A Piecuch
    Do I have this right?

If I want to work non-regulated, then IPIU's advice is to complete my training, get to Level 4 and take on assignments with multiple agencies to increase my experience and pay?
    Yes.

And the training and paid experience will greatly help you.

But if I want to earn a "CC" or eventually a "C" license, I will need a sponsor and they generally require a non-compete agreement.
    Although we respect what other forum members may offer in their presonal opinion and personal experience, please do not take their advice to mean that all agencies require a non-compete agreement. It is, in my experience, rare for agencies to require a non-compete. And if an investigator ever is confronted (in my opinion) with choosing between signing a non-compete agreement or not, then take a second look at how extraordinary the benefits, pay, and potential is before signing.

We have many, many agencies that have a mission to be very progressive. And while there is competition among agencies, the non-compete agreements become a negative for recruiting staff.
    Does that mean that I would be unable to accept non-regulated IPIU-placed assignments from other agencies during the time I work for my sponsor?
    Again, the opinion of the other forum member seems to be out of the norm. He offered his opinion from his personal experience and as a licensed private investigator who is a member and officer of his state PI Association. IPIU's Mission Statement is broader than all state PI Associations, and IPIU was only founded in 1989. As such, our Mission Statement is to include and not exclude newcomers, interns, and trainees who are entering this field.

Unregulated private investigations is lawful within all states, provinces, and governments. However, most state PI associations appear to only accept members who are licensed PI's or those who are aiming at becoming a licensed PI. IPIU differs, and so is our outlook, acceptance, and promotion of unregulated fields.

Do not be discouraged. Nearly all of the employers we have known in over a decade welcome part time private investigators who have other assignment opportunities. But you need to make sure their is a high degree of confidentiality in handling all cases, and excuse yourself from any case that may have the appearance of a conflict of interest.

My goal is to do investigative work approximately 20 hours per week and to maximize my income within those 20 hours. I'm trying to determine which path best matches my objective - stick with IPIU-placed non-regulated assignments or pursue a license.
    Do both.

If you have Level 4 Access, go to the Integrity Investigations Category and enter the Newcomer's Forum. Then read the topic titled "How to obtain Local Interviews" which gives a blueprint to your success from performing unregulated assignments that lead to IPIU's free benefit in arranging personal interviews with local or regional licensed PI Agencies that will welcome your experience.

Also, if your goal is become an owner of your agency, then go to the Level 4 Forum titled "Obtaining Your License" and IPIU will walk you through the process of setting up your own licensed agency (in as little as a few months with no personal experience needed). The details and inside procedures are available in the area reserved for union members.

Final Note: Invest the time to read the interactive topics in all of the forums you have access to. Yes, it may take some extra time, but you will be encouraged rather than discourages by reading the testimonials and comments posted by many union members at how they started and what they achieved through persistence and the knowledge they gained from the benefits IPIU offers.

Robert,

I appreciate the time you took to respond to each of my issues. The information you provided was clear and broadened my perspective. I feel that I have a better understanding of my options and how IPIU integrates and helps me with my goals.

Your input was very valuable to me. Thank you so much!

Lynn

Bobby Jo Davenport is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Non-regulated vs. Regulated Question

Yes this does sound good .
    Thanks Robert
    Bobby Jo Davenport
    Badge#11575