Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can P.I.'s carry handcuffs

Question Can P.I.'s carry handcuffs?

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at some of the holsters, and one of them have a spot for hadcuffs. Can Private Investigators/Trainees carry handcuffs, because I thought it was illegal for a civilian to carry. Just curious, if anyone knows the answer I'd greatly appreciate it...
    Nate

The eye in the shadows.

Hello

I don't think that you can carry handcuffs you have to remember that in this field that you are not a law enforcement officer. If you were a bounty hunter then that would be different unlike a P.I they do have the power to arrest. Hope that this answers your question.

Nathaniel

I see your from florida. Please note if you are working and are certified to use them the DOA will not have a problem with you carring them. I work for a security company and I have all the equipment law enforcement uses.Handcuffs,pepper spray, firearm.
    Also as a private investigator I occassionally take loss prevention contracts and have to detain individuals.

Remember you are resposible for injuries to a person you detain. Be careful.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, that answered my question...
    Nate

The eye in the shadows.

handcuffs

Unless you are in LP or security, I see no reason why you would need handcuffs...you have no arrest powers as a PIl moreiver, you can find yourself in a lawsuit should you illegally detain someone (you are still a private citizen, not a peace officer).
    T civil suit against you may read "false imprisonment" and "IIED" among others...

I cant understnad why PI's want to equip themselves like cops?
    Jeff Starnes, B.S., J.D.
    Associate Partner
    Noland & Associates
    Private Investigations, Marietta, Ga.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

This is an interesting topic. Very curios! I would think that you wouldn't really need them doing MOST PI work. And I think I would have to agree with Jeff. You need to be careful if you do carry one because there is definitely the potential for lawsuits. And isn't the process for making a citizen's arrest somewhat complicated anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Hernandez
    Hi Everyone,

I was looking at some of the holsters, and one of them have a spot for hadcuffs. Can Private Investigators/Trainees carry handcuffs, because I thought it was illegal for a civilian to carry. Just curious, if anyone knows the answer I'd greatly appreciate it...
    Nathaniel,

I moved your question here to keep the website nice and neat. One thing is does a PI really need handcuffs?? They can not arrest anyone. If they are a bounty hunter, that needs to take someone in, they have to have a low officer come with them for an arrest

Jamie
    Jamie Van Hook
    Agent Relations

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

I would have to agree, we should not carry hand cuff's, it's not necessary, unless your job description (ex:bounty hunter) requires it. I also feel that it is good you asked before just doing it, and waisting time and money. Maybe you should look into bounty hunting?

smart thinking

think about a change to bounty hunter.

Jeff,
    Good information. Thanks.
    Julie Mercer

Tyron Works is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    great question. good info.

If you decide to carry handcuffs, be sure you throughtly understand the laws in your state pretaining to false arrest, unlawful detention, lawsuits for these types of volations can be life altering for you and your family.

Former Protective Services Agent - US Army
    International Private Investigator

Executive Agency Owner Member - IPIU

Does the shoe fit?

Currently I am a US Army Military Police Officer and do have arrest powers, however, I am presently serving as a Protective Services Agent (bodyguard), and I never carry handcuffs. Why? Because in the scope of my current duties, I don't need them. If I have the time to handcuff someone, I should me moving my principal. So after all this babbling, what is the moral to the story? Don't carry anything you don't really need to perform your duties. This not only pertains to handcuffs, but firearms, ASP's, or any other type of "Gucci" equipment. Hope this helps.

Very good point. Dominic.

Excellent statement Dominic

Thanks for your post.
    Thomas W Simons
    Badge #10291

No problem...just trying to help out where I can.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Dominic, thank you for your imput. We have to carry enough, without any thing extra. Good luck in all you do.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.

I agree. Sometimes I think about gaining weight so I can add some real estate with which to put all of the equipment I carry for work.

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:
    i have 6 years training in law enforcement mostly private security, now becoming a private investigator, if you don't need hand cuffs, don't carry them! there is not much of a line between fredom, and jail.

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:

hand cuffs

i have 6 years training in law enforcement mostly private security, now becoming a private investigator, if you don't need hand cuffs, don't carry them! there is not much of a line between fredom, and jail. meaning it is better for you to not use them, then have them used on you!!

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I will agree with the general consensus. Although I do have training in the use of handcuffs, I have no intention of carrying or using same, since I am not a law enforcement official. I do know that if you do use handcuffs, you need to know how, when, and why to use them, and to be prepared to answer any liability claims that may arise if they are used--whether properly or improperly. If you wish to carry handcuffs, I suggest you review the state laws on how and when to carry and use them, as well as if you are eligible to carry them. (This is not legal advice. If you want legal advisement on the subject, please feel free to consult a practicing attorney.)

Have a great day.

John

Pedro Ruiz is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks Fof The Information.

Nice, I like that post, it cut right to the heart of the matter.

Joyce Jameson - is offline Distinguished Member of:
    Private Investigators Forums

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Dominic,
    Not only do you give great advice & info in your posting, you also give me pause for thought, that's what I enjoy so much about learning this way. Thank you!
    Joyce

This information is very interesting and educational. Thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread.

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    I See It This Way As A P.i Your Job Is To Gather Information,allthough You Do Have The Right As A Citizen To Detain Without Handcuffs Only After The Police Have Been Notified,such As Catching Some Breaking Into You House,but Do Not Be A Hero.

So does that mean as a PI you have the right to detain but not to arrest, right? Do you have the right to detain anyone in the street that is trying to commit a crime? or is it only when your performing an assignment through your agency? Please someone explain! Thank you.

Thanks for all of the posts on this subject. This is great information to know.

I really don't feel it would be necessary for me to carry handcuffs a all, but if someone was trying to commit a crime I feel that I would do whatever means t detain them.

I would contact proper authorities tohandle te situation.
    Just making sure I know all the regulations regarding this..

Thanks, alot for the info!! I can use every little detail I can get..

Kathy

Great topic

I always wondered about this. I have handcuffs but have never used them or carried them with me. Can you use handcuffs as self defence? Restrain a subject who was attacking you?

Some facts I have found in my travel. Handcuffs are not illegal to posses in most states, however the use is very well restricted. Two of the most important things to consider are one, Illegal Detention and two, Safety of the individual restrained. There are extensive courses law enforcement, security, Corrections, ect are supposed to go through in certain states. These courses teach that you cannot handcuff an individual to a door handle of a car, (or other movable objects) which could put the detainee in danger. Carrying a set of cuffs in some areas, by non professionals, are highly frowned upon by local officials because of the criminal use that could be implied such as illegal abductions. This goes the same with just carrying the key to a set of cuffs. Are they illegal? ask a magician that uses them in their show, It depends on the use. if illegally used, you can be sued and so can the company in which you work. I have used cuffs in security, corrections, loss prevention and in the military, but to tell you during covert operations, stake outs, surveillances, the accidental site of a pair could blow your cover or cause you allot of problems, (and in those types of jobs, they are not needed). My recommendation is to check with the local authorities, but don't carry them if your field of work does not require them. I personally do not see the need for them in an average PI, day to day activities.

Re: Can P.I.'s carry handcuffs

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D Mahan
    I See It This Way As A P.i Your Job Is To Gather Information,allthough You Do Have The Right As A Citizen To Detain Without Handcuffs Only After The Police Have Been Notified,such As Catching Some Breaking Into You House,but Do Not Be A Hero.
    Thats not entirely true as a security officer I sometimes have to detain a person for a criminal act and i always use cuffs when i detain. Law enforcement has no problem with it and there is no where in law that says you may not use handcuffs.

I do have to carry handcuffs in a security job i work,because we have to restrain psychotic and out of control persons on alcohol and drugs.As a PI i would not carry because of the false arrest and detainment laws.A PI could find oneself in jail or facing a civil lawsuit from the use of handcuffs.

There may be no federal right for the use or non-use of handcuffs because the states may choose to regulate their use or not. Therefore, if there are state restrictions posted here, we should have the web link for that law.

All my best,

Robert
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donovan
    There may be no federal right for the use or non-use of handcuffs because the states may choose to regulate their use or not. Therefore, if there are state restrictions posted here, we should have the web link for that law.

All my best,

Robert

Has anyone heard anything about any federal move to make something that was recognized in one state ok in another state? I ask because I have heard something on this with conceal carry guns.

So if as a level 4 Bounty Hunter that give you the power to arrest how do you identify that to someone?

I have read many of the inquiries for carrying handcuffs and I just don't think that it is a necessity to the job unless, of course, you are designated as a Bounty Hunter. To reiterate the PI role, we are to gather information and facts for our employer(s). PI's are not considered law enforcement and do not have the protected power to make an arrest. To detain someone (when not a peace officer) is unlawful and you may be subject to the same liability and reprimand as a person committing an illegal offense.

Charles,

Thanks for the clearity on that

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will

Greetings everyone, just wanted I hope all is weel and fine with you all, Thanks for sharing the tip with us Charles, keep up the good work.

Have a great day.

Hi Wayne,

You're very welcome!
    Best Regards,

Charles Morgan
    Private Investigator Trainee
    charles.morgan@pi-agency.us

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast