Thread: Criminal Record of Trainee? Weapons?

Question Criminal Record of Trainee? Weapons?

We received this private email, which we believe may help to post:

"YOU WROTE:

"I would like to receive any information concerning becoming a private investigator you have at your disposal. I need information about the different types of work involved with working as a PI.

ANSWER:
    This is on our website in the Trainee Forum. To get a free User Name and passcode to allow you access, send a new email to passcode@ipiu.org and follow the return instructions.

YOU WROTE:
    "Also in terms of criminal history do felonies from twenty years ago preclude one from working as an PI. Particularly in California?

ANSWER:
    For unregulated assignments,l the answer is no, as long as you are not on parole or have any warrants outstanding. For regulated assignments where a state PI License may be required, many state applications will address the type of felony you may have and how many years it has expired. Still, all state PI Licensing Boards have an appeal process in place which can grant a felon a state PI License. The appeal process is generally a little-known policy that is rarely promoted. A recent study shows that 25% of all private investigators have had a brush with the law, yet were still successful in pursuing their profession.

If you have further questions, please post them in the state PI Licensing Topic in the following forum:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

YOU WROTE:
    "Does a PI need lisencing in California? What about bonding and insurance.

ANSWER:
    Not if we place you under the license of another agency or law firm or with a company that is exempt from licensing.

YOU WROTE:
    "Is there any hands on training? In terms of weapons how does one go about it if they are an x felon from years ago.

ANSWER:
    On hands training for weapons is NOT available from the agencies. Only 5% of the business requires a concealed weapon. To pursue a concealed weapons permit, speak directly to your local police chief who will be the person that will authorize your permit and tell you what training (if any) he/she would endorse.

I agree.

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hmm I am curious to know?!?

I am curious to know as to how does IPIU go about in making sure that we check up on potential candidates for an investigator postion? Also, make sure that everyone gets an equal chance of becoming what they desire?
    If one does happen to slip within the system, how would IPIU take care of the problem and make sure that they get their credientials and Badge back?
    Last edited by Omar Castro; 04-15-2004 at 10:12 AM.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Castro
    I am curious to know as to how does IPIU go about in making sure that we check up on potential candidates for an investigator position?
    Union members who are licensed private investigators are governed by their state board regarding their professional conduct. If they lose their license, then they lose their IPIU standing as a "licensed private investigator". The IPIU Board of Ethics then determines if they violated their IPIU Code of Ethics, and may or may not offer a suspension instead of a revocation. (This procedure is the same for members who are licensed attorneys, government employees with an NCIC card, or other professionals whose conduct is monitored by their government).

All other members fall within the wants and warrants category, meaning if their conduct leads to a felony warrant then the IPIU Board of Ethics will meet to make a determination of the warrant and any possible violation of their Code of Ethics.

The remaining tool is self-reporting, where a client or another person may report a violation of a member's Code of Ethics, which will be investigated.

In the past 12 years, we have had less than 6 union members violate their Code of Ethics. Some were suspended and some were banned.
    Also, make sure that everyone gets an equal chance of becoming what they desire?
    If a member's conduct leads to a board hearing, they are assigned an advocate to represent their case. All board hearings are private and confidential and are never revealed to the public. If there is a "fairness" issue, most often a review of the Code of Ethics and Forum Rules determines how IPIU can help a member who made a mistake. We are here to serve the members in becoming what they desire as long as they will not give up on themselves or IPIU.
    If one does happen to slip within the system, how would IPIU take care of the problem and make sure that they get their credentials and Badge back?
    In addition to what I wrote above, and without naming names - I can state that you and others would extremely shocked and surprised to learn that some people who were either banned, suspended, or perhaps a very bad critic of IPIU - have completely turned around and asked to be reinstated or accepted for union membership!

IPIU is an extremely forgiving association for those who wish to sustain our Mission Statement, Code of Ethics, and Forum Rules. And for that reason, we keep our hearings and member files confidential to allow them to continue in the public of other team mates and members without any one knowing of their previous mistakes. At times in the last 4 years whenever a member posted a disrespectful comment toward another member here, it was moved to a private forum to determine how to address the personal issue. That is why you do not see disrespectful comments remain in the 150,000 topics here. We are heavily moderated by the volunteer moderators who have no ego to prove themselves, but are trained to be gentle - but deliberate.

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Ms. Ryan

You are the best, thank you for your prompt response. I now feel even more confident to be a member of and maybe work for in the future and Association like IPIU. You and many others know how to make things happen. Thanks again.
    Omar
    Last edited by Omar Castro; 04-15-2004 at 10:31 AM.

This is good to know for future reference, Thank you

This is good to know.

Anne Friedland - is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner
    FBI Liason

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Talking Weapons, records and gun oh my~

Hi I received an email w/ a response abt weapons etc. I do know a little. I live in Pennsylvania, each state has their own rules but they a are pretty close. I do know that letal weapojns permits require a background check. They will deny it if one was arrested and convicted of Felony in the past 5years,
    Having IPIU cred. does not have anything to do with this,at least here. Workig for an agency doen't help either.The aGENCY should have a work permit and/or Cert.
    Some of the best Loss Prevntion agents were thieves themslves! I think they wll go to9a 1st class misdeanor but no farher.
    DONT BE IN A HURRY TO SHOOT....USE YOR MIND

Re: Criminal Record of Trainee? Weapons?

I know that in Indiana you cannot have any felonies on record regardless of how far back they go.

I have a question myself. I have a friend that is an Attorney in Kentucky, He doesn't need a P.I. License, right? Does that relate only to cases he is working on in his firm, or anything?

I can get my rights through his office as well, couldn't I?

I already do P.I. work in Kentucky using my Indiana License as a border state. As long as I don't have an office in Kentucky. I would have to pay the unreasonable fees etc. I know I can get a non- resident license its still $500.00.

Oh yeah, if you make a mistake on an application and have to do it over, guess what, you have to pay another $500.00.

I have worked over in Kentucky for years using my Indiana P.I. license. I have been questioned by Police Officers many, many times. As soon as I show my I.D. they are perfectly ok with that. They just want you to call in and let them know where you are in case someone calls in on you. They don't like responding to calls when they don't have too. So I always call in where I am at. When they do come by, I show them my I.D. and tell them what I am doing, who I am working for or who I am watching....

Herman E. Polen Sr. Chief Investigator

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Criminal Record of Trainee? Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Polen Sr View Post
    I know that in Indiana you cannot have any felonies on record regardless of how far back they go.
    Herman, there is a little-known appeal process for Indiana that can grant some felons a state PI License.

Read the following:

For unregulated assignments,l the answer is no, as long as you are not on parole or have any warrants outstanding. For regulated assignments where a state PI License may be required, many state applications will address the type of felony you may have and how many years it has expired. Still, all state PI Licensing Boards have an appeal process in place which can grant a felon a state PI License. The appeal process is generally a little-known policy that is rarely promoted. A recent study shows that 25% of all private investigators have had a brush with the law, yet were still successful in pursuing their profession.

If you have further questions, please post them in the state PI Licensing Topic in the following forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Polen Sr View Post
    I have a question myself. I have a friend that is an Attorney in Kentucky, He doesn't need a P.I. License, right? Does that relate only to cases he is working on in his firm, or anything?

I can get my rights through his office as well, couldn't I?

I already do P.I. work in Kentucky using my Indiana License as a border state. As long as I don't have an office in Kentucky. I would have to pay the unreasonable fees etc. I know I can get a non- resident license its still $500.00.

Oh yeah, if you make a mistake on an application and have to do it over, guess what, you have to pay another $500.00.

I have worked over in Kentucky for years using my Indiana P.I. license. I have been questioned by Police Officers many, many times. As soon as I show my I.D. they are perfectly ok with that. They just want you to call in and let them know where you are in case someone calls in on you. They don't like responding to calls when they don't have too. So I always call in where I am at. When they do come by, I show them my I.D. and tell them what I am doing, who I am working for or who I am watching....

Herman E. Polen Sr. Chief Investigator
    Herman, please read the Kentucky Licensing Topic located in the following forum link:

David
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members